Momi Hiwa - Avery Brewing Company

Momi HiwaMomi Hiwa

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Baltic Porter |  17.09% ABV

(Beer added by: MinorThreat on 06-10-2013)

Michigan, Jul 24, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle $10.99. I picked this up after hearing the hype and despite being leery after the heat of Uncle Jacobs. Solid choice. Dark, brown color but not quite black. No head. Aroma was sticky chocolate, rum, coconut, sugar, and alcohol of course. Flavor was more chocolate, coconut, booze, sugar. I was actually quite surprised how the sweetness overpowered the alcohol, I had no problem finishing my six ounces. Good stuff.

ArrogantB, Jul 23, 2013
4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: head is non existent. Dark color similar to flat Coca Cola. No lacing. Death in a glass.

Smell: rum soaked toasted coconut. Dark chocolate. More alcohol.

Taste: Mounds candy bar injected with dark rum. Sweet, sweet, with a nice alcoholic heat. Making the hair on my toes curl up. Dessert beer on steroids.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin. Lifeless. No carbonation. Leaving a sticky film on my lips. Wut?

Drinkability: I couldn't imagine having more than 12 oz of this in one sitting. That being said, would drink again.

FTowne, Jul 23, 2013

BMart, Jul 22, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -21%

Scent of cat food initially: Quite uninviting. First taste has a huge sweet flavor that masks the coconut. Finishes with a more complex, heftier slight-burnt flavor. Too sweet. Aroma of cat food dissipates as it warms up. Boozy, but not overdone. Heavy bodied. Overall, this is just too sweet: I'm glad I just shared a 12 oz bottle among 3 people.

dnphoto, Jul 19, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

From a 355 ml bottle into a snifter. I failed to note the bottle/batch number, but it was released in Summer 2013.

A-The brew pours lightly for the style with a cola-brown/black appearance. The head is very short-lived (as you might expect at 17 % ABV) and the beer is flat in the glass with little carbonation.

S-This is a sweet beer with lots of brown sugar, rum, toasted nut, coconut, and booze going on. I get just a hint of licorice bitterness underneath all the sugar. The booze is warming, but not bad for the high ABV. Inviting, if a bit sweet.

T-The taste is seriously sweet with coconut, brown sugar, and dark rum. I did not pick up any of the licorice (or anything bitter) that I noticed on the smell to balance out the huge sugar going on here. The ABV is moderately aggressive with a slight burn at the end, but not as bad as, say, Rumpkin.

M-I am surprised by how light this beer is on my palate. It is not a hefe, but this is no motor oil, either. There is also a lightly prickly carbonation. Still, it is hugely sweet and full of alcohol, so it sips slowly despite the lighter body.

O-I like the smell of this stuff a lot. It smells like a Mounds bar, with just a hint of bitterness to balance things out. Unfortunately, the sweetness just dominates the taste and makes this beer something of a one-trick pony. A whole 355 ml bottle of this stuff would have me running for the dentist to get some cavities filled. That being said, in a small dose, this makes for a good after dinner drink.

spoony, Jul 19, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: black. Not much of a head, but what it has is dark brown. I think (hope) that's a bit of coconut oil floating on top. (From reading the other reviews, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.)

Aroma: dark and roasty, with some caramel notes.

Taste: strong! Sweet with an alcoholic bite. Lots of caramel and other sweet notes (a bit too sweet for me). The coconut melds it all together nicely. No hop presence.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with some beautiful creaminess.

Overall: very complex, and pretty delicious, though a little to thickly flavored and sweet for my taste. A dark and mischievous brew.

mevett89, Jul 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

ant880, Jul 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

whiskey, Jul 10, 2013
3.01/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours dark daark brown with a little cream head that quickly disappears and some coconut floating on top. Aroma is nice but off point for what it is; nice barrel influence and rum, some vanilla, some roastiness, but not quite getting too much coconut. There is definitely some heat to this, as I would expect from past Avery offerings and just the fact that its 17%. Flavor is super sweet; lots of coconut and vanilla, tons of sugar, rum and its barrel, some chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick and straight up viscous, which I usually like but found was a detractor for this beer to a degee. Overall, definitely sweet as hell but kinda enjoyable in moderation. I split this bottle with a friend, would have even been better off having split it between 2 others. Would not drink this again.

denver10, Jul 09, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a duvel tulip

Pours dark brown with a small tan head that quickly dissapates into a small ring of occasional bubbles, no lacing. Looks like I have some coconut floaters as a bonus. Pretty dark for a "porter", ha!
Smells like a highly alcoholic mounds bar. Some chocolate, some coconut, alcohol, and dark malts with a bit of rum in there.
Taste follows the nose. I get a lot of heat and a bit of rum up front followed by chocolate notes and coconut rounding it out. This beer leaves a lingering sweetness that is offputting for me.
The beer runs thick over the tongue and has minimal carbonation as I expected from this big of a beer.
Overall, I'm a little disappointed with this one. Usually avery puts out a solid ba brew, but the lack of bitterness to balance all the sweetness along with the alcohol burn has me HOPING this one improves with age.

SFACRKnight, Jul 06, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

ajzy, Jul 05, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Harvey98, Jul 04, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a tulip glass on 6/30/13.

A: Momi pours an dark brown with a slight hint of maroon. It's an extremely dark beer - I could not see through to the other side of the glass. The beer pours with zero head and lacing is not present at all.

S: Rum! Quite frankly, the nose is underwhelming on this beer. I can smell booze and rum barrels - that's about it. I don't get any coconut, chocolate, etc. It smells like a liqueur more than a beer.

T: Holy crap. This beer doesn't mess around and is not for the weak-at-heart. Powerful cacao and dark malt flavors dominate with the coconut complementing both nicely. On the back end, rum flavors dominate leaving a nice aftertaste. Avery said they were going for "Mounds in a bottle" on this beer. While they come closer than any beer I've ever tasted, it's not quite a "candy bar in a beer". For that, they need to add a bit more chocolate.

M: Amazing for a beer of this ABV. An earlier review stated that this beer was too syrupy. I disagree. I actually think it's quite light on the tongue given the high alcohol content. It's definitely not as syrupy as a Utopia, for example. Overall, this is the aspect of the beer that impressed me the most.

O: Probably the best beer I've tried in 2013 (so far...). Tasty, unique, and well executed. Two complaints: 1) Not enough chocolate; and 2) I wish the booziness was dialed down to 12%-13%. As it is, this beer pushes the boundaries between a liqueur and a beer. Overall - I'd go out of my way to try this beer.

MighHighBrewer, Jul 02, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

PalatePilot, Jul 02, 2013

jampics2, Jul 02, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks to tjmodica for sharing this with me.

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a hint of red highlights around the edges. Kind of a murky color. No head forms, and no lace. This looks inky, muddy and incredibly viscous.
S: Granulated sugar, molasses, burnt malt, wood and soy sauce. Solvent and ethanol like alcohol. Wow, this burns my nose hairs as I take a breath in.
T: Follows the nose. Incredibly sweet. Brown and granulated sugar. Molasses, soy sauce and solvent alcohol.
M/D: A full viscous body. Sticky, oily, and no carbonation. It is like a sugary adhesive sticking to the roof of my mouth. Not enjoyable to drink at all. Sugar and solvent, burning ethanol in the throat. I can only take tiny sips, and then can only get down about an ounce.

What is the point in this? It is not enjoyable at all. Way to sugary sweet and burning alcohol. Neither of us could finish more than an ounce. This is poorly made, and not enjoyable.

champ103, Jul 01, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

ung, Jun 30, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

A: when poured aggressively it actually has visual carbonation and a head that stays a while. Thats not all that common for so much alcohol

S: huge coconut, chocolate and rum. Crazy mounds bar effect

T: absolutely huge flavor. Obviously its sweet but not nasty sweet. Coconut lingers and tgw rum barrel just melds in the chocolate background. Lots more of a dark fruit presence than the smell. The alcohol is super easy for 17%

M: carbonation sticks through the experience. Keeps my mouth not getting overwhelmed with sweetness

O: a really well made crazy beer. Its a holy shit beer. Smell it and you say "holy shit, candy bar". Taste it and holy shit my eyes shoot wide open because my mouth gives up with a flavor overload. overall just holy shit, that beer is out there and big. Great hidden big alcohol when chilled. Another good big boy beer from Avery

chefmikeanderson, Jun 29, 2013

justinmc1, Jun 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Prospero, Jun 28, 2013
4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

A- pretty much perfect. A baltic porter on cruise control

S- Rum and coconut destroys this brew. Rum>molasses?chocolate

T- Big Big Big rum>Big Big Big rum This beer seeks to crush. And it does

M- Thin, for sure, but it should be.

O- Top 10 beer of '13. Don't seek out to get it, trade it to me.

gueuzedreg, Jun 27, 2013

Hophead717, Jun 27, 2013

Grant35, Jun 27, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Funny long story about this. But long story short, I have about 1 ounce of this beer at room temperature in my snifter. Goin for a review.
Pours up dark mahogany with no head. Nose is sugar and heat from the booze. Subtle molasses, plums, tobacco. Taste is super sweet, candy sugar, toffee, hint of rum, no apparent coconut flavor. Medium bodied, light carbo. Intense brew

stumac, Jun 26, 2013