Momi Hiwa - Avery Brewing Company

Beer added by: MinorThreat on 06-10-2013

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 201 | Reviews: 28
4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into DFH glass.

A: Pours a deep brown with just a bit of light penetrating the edges of the glass. Pour appeared just a bit thinner than I would expect from a 17% beer; I need to remind myself this is a porter rather than a stout. An off-white head briefly presents itself, then disappears. No lacing to speak of, but definite alcohol legs.

S: Smell is sublime. Sweet chocolate, brown sugar, coconut, vanilla, cream. The rum is there and well integrated, not dominating the nose at all. This smells absolutely superb.

T: The aroma set my expectations very high and this one did not disappoint. I must preface this by saying I am a big fan of sweet beers. I've put down bottles of Black Tuesday, Dark Lord, and even Creme Brulee on my own without issue. In fact, part of the draw for me with this beer was the brewers description of it as a port-like dessert beer. That is exactly what I am getting from it, although I must admit that I find it surprisingly drinkable relative to some of the beers I previously mentioned. The coconut lends an incredible creaminess to the base porter which is ripe with chocolate, vanilla, and dark fruits. The rum works exceptionally well with the coconut contribution. One of the more interesting and enjoyable bottles of beer I've opened recently.

M: Slick and creamy. The mouthfeel is interesting in that it comes across as fairly thick from all of the residual sugars, yet it doesn't seem chewy like some of the other beers of this size. Minimal to moderate carbonation.

O: I am loving this beer. I made a pretrade to acquire 4 bottles and my only regret is not working a deal for more. This stuff is fantastic and comes highly recommended by me (for whatever that is worth).

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Dark brown/black. Pretty much no head when poured into a goblet. Small bits of coconut still floating around. Looks incredible.

Smell: You can definitely smell some alcohol on the initial whiff, followed by some strong coconut and light chocolate/vanilla notes.

Taste: Similar to the smell, however, you taste absolutely none of the alcohol. Incredible for a beer with such a high ABV. You get no sensation of alcohol in your mouth or throat, but a definite warm sensation in your chest. Tastes like roasted coconut and chocolate. Have never tasted a beer quite like this.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly creamy and smooth. Medium-light carbonation. The texture of this beer is absolutely mind-blowing.

Overall: The best way I can sum this beer up is like drinking a melted Almond Joy that has an ABV of 17.1%. If you can manage to get your hands on one of these, do it!

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Snagged a cold bottle at the release served in the parking lot in the back of a dodge ram truck poured into 8oz mason jars (necessity is the mother of all invention)

A-murky dark brownish black with no head or retention

S- oh dear god. Coconut, sweet chocolate, roasted sugar cane, dark rum, vanilla and lust.

T- Sweet coconut, chocolate with vanilla, bakers chocolate and no booze. Lingering hints of rum tie the whole thing together. I heard it called a liquid mounds bar and I have to agree. Christ its good

M- lush creamy and perfect

O- The best Avery beer I've had, just slightly above Tweak in my books, and one of my top four stout/porters. Absolutely incredible.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »