White Rascal - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of White Rascal Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,193 | Reviews: 754

This is hands down my favorite brew. If I only could drink one beer the rest of my life this would be it.

I gave this a higher rating not because it stacks up with the classy barrel aged beers but because it is a solid beer.
if we only had standard beers that didn't get all fancy then this would be the leader. I have a keg of it and drink it whenever i don't have a $13 bottle of something aged.
As far as standard beers go this is a 5

just a nice smooth wheat (white) beer heavy handed on the spice and cloudy as hell. just the way beer should be.

One of my very favorites beers in a can great taste. I am a big fans of White and this is one of my go to whites.

4.97/5  rDev +36.9%

served from a bottle into a snifter style glass

appearance - 4.5/5 - Pours a semi-dark cloudy straw color with a 1/2 finger head. Tiny bubbles can be seen streaming up the edge of the glass.

smell - 5/5 - Strong sweet, citrusy aroma with some spices in the nose too.

taste - 5/5 - Instantly tastes like orange and coriander. Not too much and not too little and followed by a crisp zest.

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Highly carbonated and refreshing.

overall - 5/5 - A very tasty Belgian style beer that is refreshing without overt "Belgian flavor".

4.77/5  rDev +31.4%

A real diamond in the rough and great to find in 33cl cans!

4.74/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Super clear pale straw color to the beer. Light carbonation, and a nearly non-existent thin head. Moderate lacing for a witbier. It is just about everything I would expect.

Smell: Wheaty, more than a touch of yeast; however, it is counterbalanced by a spicy/sweet citrus tone. The scent is very "round," is the only way I can put it. Really enticing.

Taste: Upon first sip, there is lots of citrus flavor with some hop help. As the beer fizzes out on my tongue, I am suddenly bombarded with a great deal of spice flavor: nutmeg? cinnamon? Aftertaste is all herbal/spice.

Mouthfeel: It's very chewy; a surprise considering the color characteristics. The carbonation creates a light feeling through the chewiness, and the beer rinses smoothly. Quite possibly one of the better beers I've had this year. (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

Drinkability: This is a beer even my fiancee would enjoy. The lightness combined with a flavor-craver approach make for an awesome brew. And at just a hair over 5% ABV, you can have more than one! (This is not the case with a lot of Avery's brews ;-) )

Peace.

4.72/5  rDev +30%

It's 105 degrees today in Tulsa! Avery White Rascal is refreshing when it is 105. Well, its always refreshing.

The White Rascal pours a light straw color with a nice thin head that is maintained by the little bubbles through the duration.

As soon as you dip your nose into the glass you know you have hit the perfect Belgian Wit. Bready, Yeast, and Spice. It is enough to keep you satisfied alone.

The taste is only complimented by the smell. The bread and yeast coat your tongue and the orange peel and coriander do a Rascaly little dance on your the way down. A perfect balance.

Only when you swirl it around your mouth do you notice that it is over 5% abv. And those tiny bubbles that sustain the head are there as well to flow right over your palette and promote those spices. It is wonderful soft feeling.

And like I said, its hot outside and I feel like my 6-pack might be fearful for its future in the fridge. Extremely drinkable.

Take off you knobs,
Brews Brother

4.69/5  rDev +29.2%

I have a strong feeling this bottle is expired..

Appearance - Pours a very pale golden/orange color with a pretty small head that dissipates quickly. But like I said, it may be expired.

Smell - The first thing I smell is orange zest and maybe banana. Wheat and some other spices.

Taste - Very strong flavors of coriander and maybe some clove.. I can also taste a citrusy-orange flavor. Slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - Kind of thick with wedium carbonation.

Overall - This is one of my favorite beers.

4.62/5  rDev +27.3%

Another beer that was relatively hard to find in my area, but I am glad that I was finally able to find two remaining six-packs in a nearby store... Appearance-wise, pours a nice amber color that is appealing but doesn't give much of a frothy head that I've come to see from a lot of witbiers... not as cloudy or murky as some I've encountered, but the smell is great, reminiscent of coriander, wheat and citrus. The taste truly complements the aroma, with a nice spicing of citrus and a slightly pepperish flavor that goes down very easily and smoothly... A great beer that I could drink plenty of and still be satisifed... worth looking for and definitely recommended...

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

From a can (I know, heresy) obtained from a 6 pack at QFC in University Village near UW campus. Aroma is very sweet. Banana, citrus, gum, and very delicate. Very inviting a pleasant. Appears bright, but translucent. If you mixed orange juice with pineapple juice, I feel like that’s what this looks like. One to two fingers of white head. Tastes like sweet, fruity citrus. Pineapple, banana, coconut, plenty of other tropical fruits. It’s not overly citrusy or carbonated, it really has an incredible balance. It might be too sweet for the average beer drinker, but it’s just right for me. Palate has a perfect balance as well. Good carbonation, no bad residual flavors, goes down smooth. I can’t think of anything else I would ask for. Overall, this is one of the few beers that I feel comfortable buying a sixer of. It seems like no matter what mood I am in, I could be in the mood for this. This beer is what turned me on to Avery, and now I know I won’t go wrong with picking up any of their high brow stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving Type Sampled: 12fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. No freshness date. Interesting “white Rascal” character on the front.

Appearance: Very light straw in color, white haze and a fluffy white head. Faded into a nice tight lace.

Smell: Orange peel, bananas

Taste: Much of the same as the nose, big orange peel and banana ester profile. Sweet malts and balanced hops, although no hop flavor really. Coriander in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light in body. Highly carbonated.

Drinkability: Great. This beer is a great everyday beer. Light enough to satisfy, flavorful enough to keep you interested.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

White/straw color with a decent white head. Spicy aroma dominates (coriander) with black pepper notes and wheat in background. More fruity in flavor than it smells with lots of orange zest... nice. Medium bodied and smooth ... very refreshing.

Nice - A rebuy !

Label states: "Malted barley, imported Belgian malted wheat, Czech Saaz hops, coriander, Curacao orange peel"

'03' emb on bottom ('1613' lasered)
Tasted: 10/16/04

(1.43 / 12 oz.)

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Evolution Craft Brewing pint glass. No readable freshness date on bottle.

A- Pours a hazy straw color with a 1/4 inch head that dissipates fast. When swirled, bubbles slide down the glass quickly leaving liquid clinging to the glass.

S- Nice, spicy wheat nose with a bit of banana, orange and coriander but not much clove. Smells light in alcohol and hops.

T- Great wheaty, yeasty, banana-like flavors right up front. Spices come in next bringing out the style characteristic to a T. A hint of orange. Not too light, not too dark, not much alcohol. sweet but not too sweet. Superb.

M- Very light but not quite watery. Enough substance to make you feel like you're drinking real beer. Low carbonation is the only thing that detracts from its crispness but makes it that much easier to drink.

O- Pretty much everything I look for in a witbier.

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%

First impression of this beer made me skeptical, most likely caused by the label . It was purchased among two BYO 6-packs from whole foods.Long story short, this clean refreshing light bodied beer is by far the best Belgium white wheat i've enjoyed.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Pours a bright straw yellow white soapy head dissipates rather quick. Almost appears like perfectly made mimosa, perfect proportion of champagne and orange juice.

Aroma; very fragrant! Citrus, strong spice aromatics a lot cardamom, nutmeg.

Flavor, picking up more spice, bright floral and citrus specifically tangerine, lemon peal... Lacks body, yet makes up in the refreshment end. Impressive beer for the style. I think it represents it well.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Pours a very pale cloudy yellow beer with a large white head, exactly what it should look like.

Smell is very fruity and spicy with a good scent of raw coriander and orange peel. Light sweetness and a little wheat malt in the scent, very clean with no faults.

Taste is spicy with a lemony acid edge. Good flavors of coriander and orange peel with a good bitterness in the finish. Slightly sweet but this is mostly a spice and hops beer. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is good and a little light as it should be for the style.

This is simply and outstanding rendition of a Belgian witbier, better than the Hoegaarden that we get in the USA. Outstanding in all respects, THIS is now my most preferred Witbier.

Addendum: Looked at some of the other reviews here and most did not rate this as highly as I did but I stand by my review; This is an excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Wow. Lots of aromas here. sour, grassy notes, hops, citrus coming through as well. Poured from a 12oz bottle. The head lasts for quite a while, lovely swirls of yeast spiriling down. Taste is great! I get a little sweetness at first followed by sour notes at the end. Very creamy mouthfeel that makes for great drinkability.The second beer Ive tried from avery, I was a little dissapointed with the Kaiser, but this is definatley a superior Belgian Weiss in my opinion.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Hoegaarden witbier glass.

Classic bleach white creamy head, and two fingers tall and forms nicely and evenly of the pour. Classic opaque lemon and orange colored body. Some retention, but a standard soapy collar and some good staying power.

Solid impressive aroma. Tangerine oranges. Vanilla cream. Chewy sense of wheat malt and density. Love this fruit and vanilla like action.

Palate comes very impressively. Creamy malt body with a chewy palate. Lemon and orange flavors hit the tongue in a good splash. That creamy texture continues all the way down with the vanilla tones as well. Mild spice more like a dried grain sense on the finish, but finishes clean, wet, and nicely thick. Some popping bread toast as well that hits on the swallow nicely.

Really nice witbier, one I've put off for drinking in a long time, but good to know about since I really seem to be enjoying this one.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

I am pouring this from the tap in my garage, out of a 5 gallon. I am not basing my comment on a 4 oz taster in a bar somewhere. i am nearly through a 5 gl tank of this, and i would usually have an ipa on tap, so a pale ale like this is going to be scrutinized every time i change the laundry. in my garage. where the beer is. This is not a weissen beer, whoever thinks that is mistaken. This is a pale ale with some added spice that actually makes it even better, a surprisingly white creamy head, you can't pigeon hole this beer. Sounds like the dryer just shut off, I'm gonna go check on that...

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

A very soft lemon yellow body brimming with a stark white foam head. Hazed and with good head retention, this beer is so light yellow that it is softer in color than the piss colored brews. Appears very refreshing. However, the head is kinda small, actually quite small for the style.

Lemon and banana, doughy yeast aroma and a clean bitter hop aroma.

Banana soda, sweet wheatiness, some spicy, peppery notes in the finish along with some nutmeg-like (coriander?) earthiness with a sharp, delicate bitterness. All the flavors balance really masterfully and melt on the palate in tandem.

Crisp and dry, a little chewy with a soft, dry finish.

I like this one a lot. What I don't get is orange. I've had so much orange that I can dig some lemon once in a while, especially when it is from the yeast (is it? I'll assume it is). I wonder if they brew it with lemon peel or is it just good yeast?

4.46/5  rDev +22.9%

Its a winter wheat ale. Pours a clear pale golden yellow. If you follow the instructions on the bottle, which tells you to resere just a little beer in the bottle, and then swirling to mix up the yeast, and then pouring the rest into the glass, it becomes a beautiful clear, pale golden yellow with swirls of lighter yellow and cloudy whisps. Medium white head that fades slowly. It was quite a sight. Thin lacing over the glass. Tastes like a wheat beer should. Crisp, clean. Hints of orange, spices, and a good wheat flavor. Finishes dry. A very good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a nice head and a good lace.
The aroma is wheat,citrus and yeast.
The taste is yeast and citrus with some vanilla sweetness,clove and cinnamon hints.
The feel is well balanced carbonation with a crisp,clean finish.I must add that it was very creamy.

Notes: Say what what you want,but this was delicious and so easy to down. I want a six pack,fast!
I know that there are many examples of the style and I have tried a few. This one stands up quite well.
More than worthy in my book.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For what this is supposed to be, Avery nailed it. It doesn't get overly hot here in Boulder... but when it does you can find everyone sitting outside at the tap room with a White Rascal.

They nailed the style with this one, even though it seems a little out of place among their usual big beer offerings. It has just enough substance while still being light and fruity. Just a really nice beer on a really hot day.

Oh it's cheap and comes in cans. Yeah, I'm sold too.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a hazy pale yellow body with a thin wisp of white head that swirled around and was supported by a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles.
S- The perfumed floral yeast aroma blends with tart oranges and a softer coriander support. As the beer warms there is a very soft banana hint to the yeast that adds a nice depth.
T- The perfumed yeast flavor has lots of nice ester flavors and some tart dried citrus notes. There is a good pale malt flavor that is slightly sweet and a dry finish of a green hop note with some lemon qualities.
M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz finish.
D- The yeast, citrus and spice qualities are all supported by a nice pale malt base. There is lots of character and it is very drinkable with the bottle being way to small.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no date. Had a decent head and good lacing with some carb. Color was a cloudy straw/blonde with bits of yeast floating in it. Wonderful smell with overtones of the coriander and citrus peel. Mouthfeel was pretty good as well. Absolutely love the taste of this style (#2 behind Hefes) and this beer in particular. Another solid effort from Avery and in my Hall of Fame. Highly recommned. (4.5,HR,T,Y,HOF)

White Rascal from Avery Brewing Company