Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

White Rascal - Avery Brewing Company

White RascalWhite Rascal

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of White Rascal Alström Bros
Reviews: 734 | Hads: 2,221
1.83/5  rDev -50.5%

Not a fan of Belgian Ales to begin with. This is par for the course with me. Definitely not the worst I've had. Would still drink this beer over any Domestic Lagers. I will give this beer a try again in the future just to be certain that I'm not on a vein of IPA adoration. (273 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -48.9%

From notes:

I wish the pour had tipped me off to how ass funky nasty this would be. It looked harmless enough. Pale yellow body with miniscule head.
The nose though, is the fist indicator of what lies ahead ... it smells sweet for a split second and then morphs into this utterly disgusting aroma of rancid fritos corn chips left in a half open bag with about 2 inches of rainwater to make them mold. I cannot believe how bad this smells.

Why hello there taste, my nose did not decieve me ... it seems the rancid corn chips are back.It's like someone mixed those chips with wet paper and salt. Absolutely horrid.

I just can't do it, I can't take another sip. Down the drain with you. (695 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -45.7%

appearance: Kind of orangey, caramelly colored. The meniscus of the liquid lacked any real effervescence or character otherwise. Just a very average looking still liquid.

aroma: Little to speak of. I'd like to say I could smell citrus notes in this, or coriander, or something, but it really doesn't waft very well.

taste: Above all, it tastes like there is a lot of unused malt in the bottle. There are hops, but the malt flavor borders on syrupiness.

mouthfeel: Bland, little carbonation, but also little body. This has a dry or particulate feel - really noticeable if you run your tongue over your teeth.

overall: This is a thin beer, and barely a Witbier. I expect either effervescence or body, and since there is so little carbonation, something needs to make up for it, but doesn't. The flavor leaves a strong sugary aftertaste - that bitter/tart on the back of the tongue - which to my palate is offputting. Honestly, a Blue Moon on tap is a lot better than this. (975 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

A: Pours with an orangeish color and a soapy looking puffy head. Decent lacing.

S: Malty and spicy. Some hops added to the mix. The spice (coriander, cinnamon etc.) not too overpowering but a bit much for me.

T: Awful. the coriander and other spices come out full force. Some citrus from the hops and the mix of breadyness from the malts makes for a very unpleasant drink. Moderate carbonation.

This was the first beer that I have almost poured out. It was not bad like a BMC, those having no flavor whatsoever, but a bad flavor profile. I was very disappointing with the taste. Too much of a spice flavor for me. Nice beer Avery Brewing Co. (644 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -42.7%

I get to start with the fine point of this brew, it's appearance. It pours into a Wiezen glass with a large foamy head that doesn't dissipate. The color is a nice pale straw, just like it should be. Then everything seemed to go downhill! The aroma was faint. The taste or lack there of was just plain missing. There was no banana, cloyiness or even a strong sweet wheat base. The mouthfeel is thin. This all leads to the fact that I don't want another one of these again. (471 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

Beer taste is subjective. I should have read the label more carefully. I hate coriander. This beer might be someone else's favorite. The spice flavor makes this taste bad to me. I bought a six pack and took it back to the store. To be fair I will have to try a beer from them that is more suitable from my taste preference I'll try Avery Brewing Co. IPA or Stout next. This stuff I wouldn't ever buy again. (406 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -34.3%

I cannot think of any other way to describe the way this pours other than cloudy urine. It looked like grapefruit juice. The smell was actually unsettling. It had a rubber or plastic aroma to it. I was hoping that the taste would differ from the smell and appearance but it didn't. There was a small citrus taste, but overall, it was very flat and odd-tasting. Maybe I am just not familiar enough with white beer, but I am sorry to say that this one will make me steer clear of going after another one. (502 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured this beer into a mug form a bottle.

A- This beer pours a clear (possible a tad bit hazy) straw yellow with a moderate head that fades about ½ way through the beer. Moderate to high carbonation.

S- The nose is very light a smells of cloves, cinnamon, and citrus. Not as strong of a scent as I would have expected.

T- OK the taste is a bit weak for this style of beer. It seems watery, like a small beer made from a full strength witbier. It says it has yeast in the bottom but I don’t see very much and it looks filtered, not unfiltered.

M- Very light body with some fizz.

D- I’m not impressed overall. It obviously has all the earmarks of a witbier but falls short. I can think of 4 whitbiers that I would prefer over this instantly. This is not a bad beer just not as impressive as many in it’s class. (832 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -33.2%

The very first thing you will notice when you crack open a White Rascal is the odd aroma. This beer is "ale brewed with spices" according to the label.. but what spices? The taste is very bitter, like someone mixed in dill or paprika, or some other spice that does not really belong in a beer. Its a shame because Avry brewing Co is usually one of my favorite breweries and I must admit I am disappointed in this brew because I really wanted to like it. Still not as bad as an MGD though. (488 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really like Avery and think they have some great beers to offer. Unfortunately this beer was the worst Avery beer I have had to date. The pour left the beer very pale in color and somewhat watery looking even though it was slightly hazy. The smell and taste were overly spiced and maybe this was an older bottle but it tasted a bit skunky as well. Just not that good imo. I might try again and if the bottle is fresher I might enjoy it more. But since I don't see a freshness date I'll believe that this was a somewhat fresh bottle and simply a below average beer. (566 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz can served in a weizen glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a nearly transparent honey yellow color with a soapy white head of 2.5 fingers. Retention is surprisingly good and the head leaves nice lacing as it recedes.

S - Lemongrass, spice (coriander?), honey and spicy wheat. Pleasant but mild.

T - Spice forward. Clove and coriander open to lemon and a nice pale malt and wheat foundation. Loses its flavor towards the finish, which is watery. Disappointing, considering the nose and open.

M - Way too smooth and wet. Needs to be much more crisp.

D - Definitely a good offering, but far from anything special. (624 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Belgian style wheat ale, huh? Pours a faded yellow. You can see through the clarity of this one. Only a small amount of debris came out to mingle, but was diluted into invisibility. Small white head goes up, up and away.

The nose heaves way too much spice at me. I get the citrus in there too. Quite orangey, but really spicy.

The taste is spicy. Go figure. I am so bludgeoned by the spice that I am unable to taste past it. I would like to taste more malt and wheat zing here, but that damn spice. It just blights the whole experience for me. I think I tasted a hop somewhere in there. Nope, just spice.

I really tried to be objective and rate the style and not my preference, but I just do not see anything appealing about the taste. (746 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Appearance - A very pale almost whitish liquid pours with a descent head that, unfortunately, dissolves into a whispy ring, just a little to quickly. Lacing, however, was quite nice. Little pits of yeast swirl around, despite a careful pour.

Smell - Yeasty, almost like a hefeweizen, with the clovey characteristics, there in. A little malt squirms through, as does a dry hopiness and corriander? Not sure of that.

Taste - A very smooth beer. definetly a wheat beer, lots of light wheat tang here. Flavors meld very nicely here, but I wouldn't classify it so much a belgian, as much as a spiced weizen.

Mouthfeel - Very thin and watery, a little more carbonation, as in a hefe or a more traditional belgian would help alot here.

Drinkability - On a hot summer day, after mowing the lawn, or re-taring the roof is where this ale would shine. Quaffable, but without the depth of character that one expects from a belgian. Would be a great intro to craft beer for a BMC drinker.

Edit: After drinking, I realised there were words printed on my bottle. Spiced with corriander, and orange curacoa peel. The bottle also advises to swirl, and dump the yeast a la Heffeweizen...
Make your own decisions here. (1,218 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

This is a hazy golden colored beer with a small white head.
Its aroma is of yeast and spices with a clove presence.
The flavor is a bit watered down up front, but it does become yeasty with cloves present near the finish.
Mouth feel is light in body and actively carbonated.

With so many other witbiers around, this one just does not seem to fit the bill. It just seems to lack a bit in the flavor department. (416 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

**Please tolerate my 'Short Review Series' which come from sparsley populated notes.

Pours a cloudy gold under a white head of moderate retention. Smells, well, like fruits and dirty laundry. Taste is a tart/laundry water mix with only 1/4 the regular dose of Tide. Pretty off to me, not enjoying it. (301 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Pale gold, hazy. Moderate white head with decent retention.

Aroma-Primary notes in the aroma are coriander spice and yeasty, bread dough. Light perfumy orange, with a hint of grainy wheat and a whiff of alcohol.

Flavor-Some coriander which and almost like a cheap, orange flavoring kind of flavor take the forefront. Some slight vegetal notes derived from the coriander. Grainy wheat flavor makes a brief showing before leading to a finish which is dried by a bit of alcohol. Seems a little bland.

Mouthfeel-Medium light in body and medium low in carbonation (WAY undercarbonated).

Lacks a lot of the character that make a good witbier-the orange in the flavor combined with an alcohol undertone (which shouldn't be there) comes off almost like flavored vodka. I love Avery, but this one just isn't up to snuff. (868 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Pours a hazy soft yellow with a hint of orange with about two fingers of white fluffy head that quickly dissipates, little lacing

S - Smells super wheaty with a bit of lemon/orange and grassy notes.

T - Again very wheaty with some citrus undertones, citrus dominates grassy notes that were present in the nose. A little malty sweetness in the end

M - Light bodied, lighty carbonated really drinkable

O - not really enough taste or body to feel like I'm drinking beer, more like lemon water (497 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Boring light yellow with a small flimsy head that dies a quick death. Aromas of seltzer water, corianer, wheat, and other spices. Taste is weak and watery, as is the mouthfeel. This is like a wit-light or something to that effect. Drinkability suffer, but this is kinda refreshing in its blandness....I'm sleepy. (312 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Really disappointed in this one. Poured into a 16oz pint glass.

Beer is ultra pale hazy yellow. Poured with a 1/4" white head that quickly dissipated with no lacing.

Smell was vaguely sweet, but really somewhat hard to detect.

Taste in my opinion was very similar to Goose Island 312, which isn't a great comparison to me. Kind of sweet, but seemed to be missing something. Some citrusy zest, but some unidentifable malty flavor persists as the after taste.

Mouthfeel was well carbonated as you took a swallow, but afterwards was a lingering oily coating of the mouth.

All in all, this beer to me is decent, but doesn't seem Belgian style at all. I personally wouldn't buy any more and would steer anyone towards Hoegaarden first for a beer in this particular style. (781 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can (date stamp 12204B6, 14:16 264) poured into a Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Cloudy golden orange. Thick white head upon pouring, which died down to a thin sink across the top. Lots of rocky lacing in sheets, strands, and islands. Good looking beer.

Smell: Dusty yeast only. I could not pick out much else. It was rather unpleasant.

Taste: White grapes, wheat malt, sweet, very mild bitter finish - a hint of citrus in there...just the barest amount of orange peel. Not the best Wit I've had, the spices emphasized on the label are not at all notable by me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation just a bit lower of what I think a Wit should be. Juice like thickness underneath.

Overall / Drinkability: Glad I bought just one, not something I would try again. Overall a sub-par Wit. Good looking beer, and neat name and label, but it doesn't live up to the hype. Oh well, not every beer can be amazing. (899 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.7%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The pour is a hazy pale golden color with a nice white head to go with it.

S: The coriander and orange peel notes of your traditional witbier are here, which is nice. However, the pitfalls of so many brewpub wheat beers are here as well: lemons and sour wheat. Maybe a little bit of corn, too.

T: The flavor is fairly light, somewhat watery, but very similar to the nose. The spice note is more pronounced than on the aroma, but the slight tartness is there again.

M: The body is light and a bit watery, but at least the carbonation is nice and lively.

D: This is not what I look for in a witbier. Too much like a crappy brewpub "hefeweizen" and just watery. (687 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.7%

Beer has a hazy, straw color, with a decent white head and some lacing. Well carbonated. The smell was slightly spicy and yesty. Taste was somewhat disappointing. Not much going on. Some faint spiciness, that was a stretch to detect, and not much else. Decent amount of body to it, and easy to drink, due to the blandness of the taste. Not bad, but much better versions of the style available. (393 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Not a horrible Wit, but not one I plan on buying again. Spicy, faintly fruity, and rubbery aroma...not a good start. Pale straw color with a thin, rapidly fading head. Flavor is just like the aroma, save for the rubbery taste is subdued and the finish is a bit hoppier than I expect from the style. I think the last 5 from the sixxer will be given to my cretin friends so they can't accuse me of only pawning off cheap beer on them. Suckers. (441 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

12oz. can served into a pint glass

Pours a slightly hazy light orange color that looks more yellow -- like goldenrod -- when held to direct light. I only got about half a finger's worth of white head here, with consequently minimal lacing. Below average.

There's something not right about the aroma of White Rascal. It's full of orange zest and zippy wheat, just like it should be. There's a spicy character too, though not explicitly of coriander like you expect. The problematic part is a nasty note (I almost said "funky," but I don't want you to confuse it with the good kind of funk aromas) that is reminiscent of wet dog hair. I assume its a yeast issue, but man oh man is it unpleasant to smell that characteristic.

Orange peel dominates the palate. Sure, you get some malted wheat in there too; it's lemony flavor blending into the aggressive rind flavor. The spice comes across not so much as coriander, but as fennel seed. Which... is interesting but not particularly tasty.

A nice medium body and smooth carbonation make for a drinkable beer in terms of mouthfeel. I can't complain about the mouthfeel, really. Too bad it doesn't make up for the lack of achievement elsewhere. I give it points for the fennel seed originality but this is overall a below-average to average witbier. I won't be ordering this one again. (1,333 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The cloudy liquid is cold yellow-orange (10 EBC), the finger thick white head leaves some lacing on the glass.

The smell is semi-sweet and spicy with distinct notes of bitter orange peel, wheat dough and herbs.

The taste is fresh and slightly bitter. Sweet notes of orange peels, exotic spices, phenolic herbs/spices, orange juice and some metallic off-flavours. Light to medium body. The aftertaste is a bit sticky with herbs, spices and tree sap. The finish is sweet and a bit frowsy.

The carbonation is medium to mild, the small bubbles smooth. The liquid is light and a little sticky.

Just below average, the flavours aren’t fresh enough. (650 characters)

White Rascal from Avery Brewing Company