India Pale Ale - Bricks & Barley Brewing Company

American IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: emerge077 on 10-29-2012

Reviews by TMoney2591:
2.84/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a tumbler.

I just can't say no to these bargain guys whilst perusing Mariano's. Maybe one day... This stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises caramel, light menthol, light tobacco, and pine resin. The taste brings in more of the same, the menthol and resin holding the hops' standard against a strong current of caramel, but neither side wins, leaving us all losers as the battle ruins our tongues in a surprisingly mild manner. Suffice it to say, things don't taste all that good to me. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this IPA just didn't do it for me, especially with that intense menthol character. Even at the price point, I'll pass. (772 characters)

3.21/5  rDev n/a

Contract brewed by Point for Roundy's stores, Copp's, Mariano's, etc.

Super bright orange, slow rising carb trails, compact head of sudsy white foam. Nice color and a ring of drippy lace around the edges of the glass.

Mild aroma, vaguely hoppy, maybe Centennial with light citrus peel and slight malt sweetness.

Caramel malt dominates, light sweetness, florals, and a light piney bitterness in the aftertaste. Simple and effective, no off flavors, just pretty mild in general. Would drink again, but not before the usual favorites. (536 characters)

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.35/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours copper with a wispy head that soon vanishes. Minimal lacing sticks down the glass.

The smell is like iced tea with some caramel.

The taste is of firm caramel with an herbal hop character.

It is on the lighter side of medium bodied.

A more "balanced" IPA. Not a bad tasting brew, and hops are noticeable. Fits style but nothing special. (345 characters)

2.75/5  rDev n/a

2.75/5  rDev n/a

3.57/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I don't know what is going on with the flood of IPA's coming out, but it is getting ridiculous. That said, this one is quite goodl. There is a great balance of bitter and malt to often found in IPA's anymore. There is a flavor in this beer I cannot identify but I love. Perhaps it is the quality of the water used?? (315 characters)

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.8/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice and crisp, has a sweet smell and not too bitter. (53 characters)

1.39/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

not enjoyable to drink at all (29 characters)

3/5  rDev n/a

2.23/5  rDev n/a

I didn't find anything in the taste or feel of this IPA to give it another try . Original IPAs' had a much hoppier flavor and a more smooth or fruity finish. (157 characters)

2.38/5  rDev n/a

I drank from the bottle, so appearance isn't noted. The beer is poor. The hoppy taste associated with a Pale is there, just in a fleeting way. While it says craft brewed, it is obviously one that whatever tricks of the trade to get it out and on the market on the cheap were used by the brewer. Point Brewery? Odd. It's a commodity beer, made to taste similar to a decent Pale Ale on the cheap.

It was the price, admittedly. 4.99 for a six pack of IPA, who could pass that up? I went past the Sierra Nevada Turbo, as well as the SN Pale Ale, one of the favorites, to give this a try. I had no knowledge it was a contract brand, built and brewed on the basis of price(low). On the road to recovery from naivete I ride.

Drinking from the bottle, keep in mind, the beer has a not so pleasant after taste, sort of like alcohol was added instead of brewed naturally into it, a vodka-y sort of thing. If you've ever had a low gravity/high alcohol beer that is sold almost exclusively in the inner cities of America, you will understand what I mean. The first swig is fine at first. I mentioned "swig". This is how a lot of us drink beer. Sure, we all like to have a good Pilsner in a tall glass, admire the head, the aroma, and the same with a good Pale Ale as well. But eventually we all take it from the bottle, just like mom taught us. This one is not one I'd introduce the complexities of Pale Ale to a novice, nor one I'd likely drink again. Though it will get you tipsy on the cheap, and you can pretend it's a complex beer, the readers of this particular site will see past it in moments. Please forgive the coarseness of this review, it is only my second, and while not an expert, this beer is in the category of Old English 800, and I'd like my money back please. (1,770 characters)

India Pale Ale from Bricks & Barley Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.