(860) IPA - Stony Creek Brewery

good

Stony Creek Brewery visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: shigg85 on 10-11-2012

Our first Stony Creek beers are (203) India Pale Ale and (860) India Pale Ale. Each mildly different yet truly American IPA’s. Packed with Cascade hops from Washington’s Yakima Valley, Stony Creek IPA’s have a thirst quenching citrus flavor and aroma. We balance this with light crystal specialty malts to bring you a deep golden beer that drinks easy, and won’t leave your taste buds wanting for anything.
to view more.
Ratings: 28 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by KTCamm:
3.04/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks like apple juice, thin one finger head. Smells slightly boozy, pear, apple. Taste, roasted malt up front followed by nice bitter hops. Light carbonation, medium light body, very pleasant. 6% abv adds nice bite. I liked this and the 203, this might be slightly better than 203.

Not as good as I remember it being, soft aroma slightly floral with citrus, taste is almost watered down, there really isn't anything that pops out as amazing. This is still better than 203 but I won't try it again. BMFR

4.14/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

date of tasting: 03/29/2013
type: Ale
style: American IPA
abv: 6.15
ibu: 53
glass: mug w/appearance test in tasting glass
temperature of beer: 55F

Appearance: hazy, golden, very little carbonation present. head pours rich and marshmallow but dissipates quickly

Smell: zest, specifically orange, spicy hops, mainly cardamom

Taste: hoppy up front, somewhere in between where I would expect an American IPA to be and a modern English IPA. Cardamom comes out as well as orange oil. hops are sharp and somewhat muted. The balance is pretty typical for the style.

Mouthfeel: creamy, medium bodied a bit of chewiness, again think a typical lighter styled American IPA

Overall Impression: Not bad, it’s a solid IPA. I personally prefer the less hoppy IPA’s like this one but I would like to get a little floral hint from the fermentation which this is strangely lacking.

Food Pairings: I can’t help but think of spring rolls, A cheeseburger with really sharp blue cheese and ketchup. I really want to try this with carrot and orange donuts for some reason. A pulled venison or even pulled pork would work well too. I could also see beer battered onion rings with a bean sauce or a grilled romaine salad with some kind of creamy dressing with some strong herbs, maybe rosemary.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into glass. Born on Date – 09/05/12. Poured into glass with a slight head. Hazy amber color. Not much aroma to speak of, slightly earthy. I would have expected more hop character given the style. Taste is well balanced, with a earthy and citrusy bitterness. Slight malt sweetness fades as the bitterness finishes the taste. A bit thin for an American style IPA.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

I went to Connecticut Beverage Mart in Newington CT, to buy a couple of different porters to celebrate the start of winter seasonals after the first snowfall of the year. When I walked in I was asked to taste this beer.

The color was a nice golden color, not to dark to make me question if it was one of the new IPA hybrids, but it wasn't colorless either; a nice golden hue.

The smell: was typical of an IPA, hops n the front, a little yeast, and not an overpowering scent of alcohol.

The taste: started with a nice citrus flavor followed by a nice mellow malt flavor that had some hints of bread and was quite dry to counter the citrus flavor. The flavor was a good mix of both hops and malt.

Overall: This was a solid IPA, and a nice reprieve from the usual big hoppy IPA's that are getting ever more popular. The Hops and Malt were working with each other, without hindering the overall style of an IPA I liked it because it was not as overpowering as some IPA's

After having this small taste, I bought a 6 pack, and the flavors hold up, It was the first time I have ever had something from stony creek and is a great local brew. A good offering but it is not going to take over my affinity for Hooker Brewery which is, in my opinion, the best in Connecticut.

4.12/5  rDev +19.4%

Had this from the bottle at the Mark Twain House beer festival in Hartford, CT. Poured into a pint glass. American IPA with lots of Cascade hops in the smell and the flavor. Consists of exactly the same ingredients as the (203) IPA, except the flavor is a deeper amber in this brew and the aftertaste is a bit smoother in the end. Overall, I enjoyed this IPA as a remedy to "over-hopped IPAs," and I would grab it if you can find it!

to view more.