Sagres Cerveja - Sociedade Central de Cervejas

good

Sociedade Central de Cervejas visit their website
Portugal

American Adjunct Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sagres Cerveja Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +41.7%

Poured this beer into a tumbler at 45 degrees. This beer was ine I picked up thinking it was mostly going to be just for my label collection. Even my beer guy i bought it from said it was just a beer, nothing great. And this is kinda true, but..
The beer was a nice golden color, it smelled like ummm. beer yea beer. Taste was a little flowery but very clean and very refreshing. The beer had a crappy head and no lacing, but again, it was remarkably tasty. I will have to sat that I will buy this beer again.

Appearance: Light, blonde and very liquidy/watery. Thick head which soon becomes watery / bubbly.
Aroma: Subtle rice smell, beery, no hops.
Taste: Grainy, typical lager taste with no floral attributes. Crispy and clean with a kick which you can feel in your throat with a slightly bitter aftertaste.
Overall: Typical lager which is great on a hot day. Easy to drink loads! I enjoy the crispy clean flavour.

3.95/5  rDev +37.2%

Appearance: Bright golden yellow, highly carbonated, typical pils color and appearance. Small white head that fades down quickly.

Smell: Pilsner malts up front, faintness of hops in the background.

Taste: Bready notes, some lingering hop bitterness in the background. Nothing too complex with this beer, there is a nice balance of ingredients.

Mouth feel: A little lackluster, not as crisp as I'd expect, smooth.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, fits pilsner style but seems like it could be a crossover between a pils and a general pale lager. Overall criticism would be the dull mouth feel, if it were a bit more crisp it would have been a perfect representation.

3.83/5  rDev +33%

I have a weakness for this beer. I really like this. Great golden color, smooth taste (strong taste of nuts). Much better than a lot of lagers. A great summer beer. Goes well with anything, especially cookouts. Cheap too!!

3.8/5  rDev +31.9%

I didn't think I was going to like this beer. I'm not a lager fan in general, and most European Lagers taste the same to me.
I was at a party and other than very mainsteam big brewery choices, this was the alternative.
Sagres surprised me. First of all, you have to be impressed by the color and clarity with the thin layer of head capping off the glass. I can say that about any nicely poured lager and this fit the profile to a tee.
I didn't detect much hop aroma, but there was a pleasant, though subtle, malty smell.
It was very crisp tasting, but instead of the dry rush or the taint of "preservatives and foaming agents" that I find so pervasive in the North American lager market, this one went down smooth and finished with a very nice sugary sweetness that stayed on the tongue.
Of all the European lagers I've had, I think I like this one best. It beats the hell out of Moretti and Nastro Azzurro (Italy), Kronenbourg (France), and even Heineken (Holland) or Stella Artois (Belgium).

3.75/5  rDev +30.2%

So I'm a beer guy and went to Portugal and Spain. Was on a structured trip, so didn't get to get to anywhere with very good beer. But I got to sample the BMC of their countries . . .

So this was pretty standard lager. Not bad, but nothing I'd go to great lengths to find now that I'm home.

Aroma (3): Smells kinda of beer.
Appearance (4): Nice golden color. Just like a lager should be.
Taste (3): It is better than Bud Light I suppose. A little malt and a little bit of hop. Not much to speak of really.
Palate (3.5): No real complaints, nothing to write home about either.

3.63/5  rDev +26%

I got two fingers' worth of creamy, bone-white head with good retention. The color was a deep-golden with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a slight Saaz-like hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a mild bitterness on the tongue. Very lager-like, certainly, but not overly sweet. Finish was smooth, crisp, nice on a warm afternoon in the approach to summer. An interesting beer, better than a lot of lagers which I've tried recently.

3.63/5  rDev +26%

Had this at a family reunion in Mass
Bottle poured into a proper glass produced a big frothy white head on top of a clear golden colored body.

This brew was the better of the two new brews I tried at the reunion. The aroma was much more balanced between the malts and bitters.

It was a light and fresh beer with enough flavors to make it enjoyable not to sweet with enough hops in it to keep me coming back. It was medium in my mouth with ample carbonation.
Like I said I went back for more of these defiantly better than most for the style

3.6/5  rDev +25%

Presentation: 12oz light brown bottle. Very unusual shape that almost squares off before the short neck. Bottle is "one way," meaning no deposit, which is also unusual. Best before date clearly marked, but in Portuguese.

Appearance: Nice golden liquid with a steady, sparce large bubble carbonation. Head is patchy, practically dead, less some large bubbles surfacing. It does however turn to a creamy lace as you start drinking it, and even has a slight stick to it.

Smell: Fairly clean in aroma with that faint, unmistakable import lager smell (raw and grassy).

Taste: Relatively smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a crisp citrus/lime bite, as if a lime wedge was in the bottle. Carbonation, although barely noticed in the appearance, lifts and snaps at the palate ... making the limey-like hops that much more pronounced. Body is medium with an even foundation of light malt sweetness with a touch of dextrin sweetness. Finishes nice and clean with little residual flavour.

Notes: Sagres Cerveja is a fairly tasty and refreshing beer. No great shakes though.

3.6/5  rDev +25%

Served in bottle form at na brasa brazilian steakhouse. I heard the owners are Portuguese and figured I would give this one a try. Smell is light, mostly of roasted meat due to venue but unremarkable otherwise. Taste is sweet and with the familiar earthy hop bitterness of stella. Its good, a taste I prefer to most macros. Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than common for style. There's a slight heft to the body and carbonation. Drinkability is average for style, but it did help to wash down the sausage, lamb leg & chops, filet, chicken wrapped in bacon etc I enjoyed heartily. Not as much as Jill enjoyed the lamb though.

3.58/5  rDev +24.3%

Presentation: 12 ounce brown bottle. It has a traditional looking label.

Look: It's a rich golden color, and it has a good head. It looks like a beer I'd want to drink.

Smell: Overall it has a very malty smell. with slight hops aroma as well.

Taste: It's a bitter taste. I can really taste the hops. It has a malty aftertaste.

Drink: It is a crisp beer to drink. It goes down smoothly. It does however feel foamy on the palate.

Notes: As adjunct lagers go this is is a good one. It has a bitter crisp taste. When I bought this beer I was skeptical of it since it's from Portugal, but I am impressed.

3.55/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

For its unpretentious, utilitarian perfection, I love this beer. It's what Thoreau would have had at Walden. Self-actualized and acceptant of its place in the world, Sagres tastes like what all the macro brew beer commercials say beer tastes like. It tastes cold; yes, the Coors marketing department's ignorant description of beer makes sense here. Ultimately Heineken without the sweetness blended with a bit of Budweiser, Sagres is fulfilling, clean, and crisp. Its hop profile is basic, but green and ferny enough to dry out the round cereal taste of a malt. And while the taste of hay and grass is often unappealing, this beer succeeds where others fail because of its balance and length. I almost wish I had a lawn to mow right now.

Relax, relaxx.
ng

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

Sagres, from Portugal: a light bodied, light amber beer, with a slightly skunky euro-lager aroma. The best by date is March of 2002 (bought it from the dark recesses at the bottom of the shelf). Not bad at all, with a heavy dose of malt sweetness with toast/bread flavors. Highly carbonated with a clean dry finish. I’ll look again for it fresh, as even a couple of months out of date, it was very nice.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

Starts off by pouring a shiny yellow / golden color. On the nose a faint hop aroma and a tad grassy. On the palate there is a faint hoppiness, malt, slightly sweet, and slightly bitter, and slightly dry in the finish. Overall I think pretty neutral IMO, but a drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

The better one of the two portuguese common lager (with Super Bock).
Some caramel taste like dropping down a Werters candy in an euro lager.

Sagres Cerveja from Sociedade Central de Cervejas