Sagres Cerveja - Sociedade Central de Cervejas

good

Sociedade Central de Cervejas visit their website
Portugal

American Adjunct Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sagres Cerveja Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured this beer into a tumbler at 45 degrees. This beer was ine I picked up thinking it was mostly going to be just for my label collection. Even my beer guy i bought it from said it was just a beer, nothing great. And this is kinda true, but..
The beer was a nice golden color, it smelled like ummm. beer yea beer. Taste was a little flowery but very clean and very refreshing. The beer had a crappy head and no lacing, but again, it was remarkably tasty. I will have to sat that I will buy this beer again.

Minkybut, Feb 24, 2007

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

Donkster46, Aug 08, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +38.6%

Appearance: Bright golden yellow, highly carbonated, typical pils color and appearance. Small white head that fades down quickly.

Smell: Pilsner malts up front, faintness of hops in the background.

Taste: Bready notes, some lingering hop bitterness in the background. Nothing too complex with this beer, there is a nice balance of ingredients.

Mouth feel: A little lackluster, not as crisp as I'd expect, smooth.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, fits pilsner style but seems like it could be a crossover between a pils and a general pale lager. Overall criticism would be the dull mouth feel, if it were a bit more crisp it would have been a perfect representation.

JoKo, Feb 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +34.4%

I have a weakness for this beer. I really like this. Great golden color, smooth taste (strong taste of nuts). Much better than a lot of lagers. A great summer beer. Goes well with anything, especially cookouts. Cheap too!!

Jdiddy, Jun 23, 2002
3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

I didn't think I was going to like this beer. I'm not a lager fan in general, and most European Lagers taste the same to me.
I was at a party and other than very mainsteam big brewery choices, this was the alternative.
Sagres surprised me. First of all, you have to be impressed by the color and clarity with the thin layer of head capping off the glass. I can say that about any nicely poured lager and this fit the profile to a tee.
I didn't detect much hop aroma, but there was a pleasant, though subtle, malty smell.
It was very crisp tasting, but instead of the dry rush or the taint of "preservatives and foaming agents" that I find so pervasive in the North American lager market, this one went down smooth and finished with a very nice sugary sweetness that stayed on the tongue.
Of all the European lagers I've had, I think I like this one best. It beats the hell out of Moretti and Nastro Azzurro (Italy), Kronenbourg (France), and even Heineken (Holland) or Stella Artois (Belgium).

MAB, Feb 05, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

rprinz22, Apr 07, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

magnusdave, Dec 19, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +27.4%

I got two fingers' worth of creamy, bone-white head with good retention. The color was a deep-golden with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a slight Saaz-like hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a mild bitterness on the tongue. Very lager-like, certainly, but not overly sweet. Finish was smooth, crisp, nice on a warm afternoon in the approach to summer. An interesting beer, better than a lot of lagers which I've tried recently.

woodychandler, Jun 15, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +27.4%

Had this at a family reunion in Mass
Bottle poured into a proper glass produced a big frothy white head on top of a clear golden colored body.

This brew was the better of the two new brews I tried at the reunion. The aroma was much more balanced between the malts and bitters.

It was a light and fresh beer with enough flavors to make it enjoyable not to sweet with enough hops in it to keep me coming back. It was medium in my mouth with ample carbonation.
Like I said I went back for more of these defiantly better than most for the style

joepais, Jul 27, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +26.3%

Presentation: 12oz light brown bottle. Very unusual shape that almost squares off before the short neck. Bottle is "one way," meaning no deposit, which is also unusual. Best before date clearly marked, but in Portuguese.

Appearance: Nice golden liquid with a steady, sparce large bubble carbonation. Head is patchy, practically dead, less some large bubbles surfacing. It does however turn to a creamy lace as you start drinking it, and even has a slight stick to it.

Smell: Fairly clean in aroma with that faint, unmistakable import lager smell (raw and grassy).

Taste: Relatively smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a crisp citrus/lime bite, as if a lime wedge was in the bottle. Carbonation, although barely noticed in the appearance, lifts and snaps at the palate ... making the limey-like hops that much more pronounced. Body is medium with an even foundation of light malt sweetness with a touch of dextrin sweetness. Finishes nice and clean with little residual flavour.

Notes: Sagres Cerveja is a fairly tasty and refreshing beer. No great shakes though.

Todd, May 02, 2001
3.6/5  rDev +26.3%

Served in bottle form at na brasa brazilian steakhouse. I heard the owners are Portuguese and figured I would give this one a try. Smell is light, mostly of roasted meat due to venue but unremarkable otherwise. Taste is sweet and with the familiar earthy hop bitterness of stella. Its good, a taste I prefer to most macros. Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than common for style. There's a slight heft to the body and carbonation. Drinkability is average for style, but it did help to wash down the sausage, lamb leg & chops, filet, chicken wrapped in bacon etc I enjoyed heartily. Not as much as Jill enjoyed the lamb though.

dude, Jan 18, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +25.6%

Presentation: 12 ounce brown bottle. It has a traditional looking label.

Look: It's a rich golden color, and it has a good head. It looks like a beer I'd want to drink.

Smell: Overall it has a very malty smell. with slight hops aroma as well.

Taste: It's a bitter taste. I can really taste the hops. It has a malty aftertaste.

Drink: It is a crisp beer to drink. It goes down smoothly. It does however feel foamy on the palate.

Notes: As adjunct lagers go this is is a good one. It has a bitter crisp taste. When I bought this beer I was skeptical of it since it's from Portugal, but I am impressed.

eschbach, May 30, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +24.6%

For its unpretentious, utilitarian perfection, I love this beer. It's what Thoreau would have had at Walden. Self-actualized and acceptant of its place in the world, Sagres tastes like what all the macro brew beer commercials say beer tastes like. It tastes cold; yes, the Coors marketing department's ignorant description of beer makes sense here. Ultimately Heineken without the sweetness blended with a bit of Budweiser, Sagres is fulfilling, clean, and crisp. Its hop profile is basic, but green and ferny enough to dry out the round cereal taste of a malt. And while the taste of hay and grass is often unappealing, this beer succeeds where others fail because of its balance and length. I almost wish I had a lawn to mow right now.

Relax, relaxx.
ng

ngandhi, Jun 23, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

Sagres, from Portugal: a light bodied, light amber beer, with a slightly skunky euro-lager aroma. The best by date is March of 2002 (bought it from the dark recesses at the bottom of the shelf). Not bad at all, with a heavy dose of malt sweetness with toast/bread flavors. Highly carbonated with a clean dry finish. I’ll look again for it fresh, as even a couple of months out of date, it was very nice.

jackndan, Aug 12, 2002

bonbini26, Jan 12, 2012

nmoeschler, Aug 20, 2014

endless1408, May 31, 2014

Sergio_Pereira, May 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

Starts off by pouring a shiny yellow / golden color. On the nose a faint hop aroma and a tad grassy. On the palate there is a faint hoppiness, malt, slightly sweet, and slightly bitter, and slightly dry in the finish. Overall I think pretty neutral IMO, but a drinkable beer.

WilliamPhilaPa, Jun 09, 2002
3.45/5  rDev +21.1%

From a brown 11.2oz. bottle. Pours a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Mild, somewhat hoppy aroma. Taste is crisp with light malts and some bitterness. Feels light in the mouth and goes down pretty easily. Overall I found this to be a fairly enjoyable beer.

tone77, Aug 24, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer poured a nice thick head that stayed around almost to the last drop.
The color was a bit on the honey side.
A lot of carbonation that kept bubbles flowing upward which made a nice looking beer standing in the glass.
After that the beer is drinkable, but not exciting. Has no real aroma. It tastes like a beer. A little on the sweet side, but it did not turn me off. Some hops in the after taste. Had a real light mouth feel. Even being sweet, left my mouth feeling clean. You could drink more then one of these without getting tired. Good on a hot day.

57andcounting, Apr 25, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +21.1%

Served in a pokal glass.

Appearance: very clear gold with heavy carbonation on the body, head is little thing maybe 1/4" coming off white.

Smell: light hoppy scent not much to go with here.

Taste: believe or not is it a little creamy, marzen like but still bitter. Yes it is that tasty.

Mouth: smooth and crisp, toasted bread after taste and sticking feel even with my steak I can't say it is bad at all.

Mouth: Very good and worth keeping as a steady with your meal. This is my first and definitely not my last before I leave. Salud

BlurryVisi0n, Aug 15, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +19.3%

Ahhhh.. A beer from the motherland. Many of these I had years ago in Portugal, not knowing much about beer then I drank them for what they were worth to me then, not much. But now I drink them with a much more objective eye.. Or should I say mouth.

This poured a rather boring yellow with a fine layer of foam floating on the top. Smell reminds me a bit of rotting cabbage, really nothing i'd call home about. But this quickly redeems itself in the flavor. Some sweet notes with a very slight hop edge. Level of carbonation is good and this is actually rather refreshing.

Although at first glance this doesn't appear to be the most appetizing of brews, it really isn't all that bad. Goes well with some Chouriço or a bifana, or any other slightly spicy dish.

funkengruven, Aug 11, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +19.3%

Color is pale yellow with no head or carbonation. Smells of musky grain and sweet malt, maybe rice, and a very light hop. Taste is mostly sweet malt, almost a fruity hop presence but mostly empty. Dull and medium bodied that goes down without much effort. Drinkable, but could use some help for a pale lager.

tavernjef, Apr 08, 2003