Ragged Neck Rye - Blue Lobster Brewing Company

Blue Lobster Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Porter |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: WanderingFool on 04-14-2013

Our interpretation of an American Porter, slightly amped up in alcohol and utilizing a portion of Rye and Peated Malts.
4.41/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes, On-tap at the brewery on 10-18-13

A - Pitch black with one finger of khaki head, medium lacing.
S - Chocolatey roasty nutty goodness, some mild peanut butter kinda scent, just a really nice roasted malty aroma.
T - Rich toasted grains, and creamy malt, decent pine bite mid way that fades to a dark bitter chocolate, very good stuff.
M - full and thick, a tad bitter.
O - Outstanding porter, nice complexity but still well balanced, rich and satisfying. (467 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml. growler acquired at the brewery. Sampled on November 4, 2013.

The pour is jet black with some reddish hues flickering on the edge of the glass and a humongous but soft, silky tan head.

On the nose there is an array of characteristics including roasted dark malts, burnt chocolate, spent coffee grinds, rye grain, and this vague but appealing earthy hop feel.

The body is medium to heavy but not thick. However there is a wonderful creamy quality to it that feels comfortable on my tongue.

Good chocolate and coffee flavors lead off the tasting experience with a little rye grain playing up the rear and a mild to moderate earthy hop bitterness that is both dry and lingers briefly. This is the kind of Porter I really like. (742 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Cask and Vine.
Solid opaque with a huge tan head that persists forever. Aromas of roast, coffee, caramel, dark fruit, light chocolate. Is this a porter or a stout? The flavor is heavy on the roasted grains, big caramel and light chocolate with a hint of smoke. Light earthy hop flavor and a spice from the rye add a bit of complexity. Medium to thick body with a moderate level of carbonation and sweet creamy ashy mouthfeel. This is a big porter that feels like a stout at times, but its so damn good who cares about labels? Beautiful beer, I wish I could have had another. (584 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to Jeff for the growler! Loving this Blue Lobster stuff. A pour so dark, we'll just call it black to save some time looking up names of impossibly dark brown tones. There is a bit more mahogany at the edges peaking through, though. Barely any head on this one, only a java with cream colored collar that groups up at the circumference and stays there patiently.

I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this porter from the first inhale; light roast, creamy chocolate and a touch of milky sweetness invade my senses right away. The slight bitterness from the roast balances the creamy sweetness perfectly. Some dry, rye notes hang around towards the latter half and couple with the malts very nicely; big notes of rye and pumpernickel bread. Not too much smoke or peat, but the rye is definitely there.

The rye jumps out even more on the palate than it does on the nose; smoked wood chips, dry rye and wood, thick, burnt malts, with a river of chocolatey sweetness and a hint of milk that swims through everything and makes excellent counterpoints all the way through. Never too sweet or too bitter, though I wouldn't mind if the rye were toned just a *touch*, as I'm afraid it's covering up some of the malt complexity.

Finishing touches include dehydrated rye chips, a more-mild-than-faint smoke tinge, a touch of woodiness and a firm, pecan-like nuttiness. There may be a hint of cocoa in there, too, but it'll be mostly faded by the time the beer is in your belly. Decently creamy mouth feel, smooth and nearly silky with a rolling carbonation and a thin-medium body. Not quite as impressive as some other American porters, but still pretty good.

Rye can be easily overdone, and while I felt that it was just a little bit too high in this one, the beer was still damn enjoyable and really tasty overall. Probably the one that surprised me the most out of all the Blue Lobster beers we tried. Smooth and creamy and sweet and bitter, all at once. It would be interesting to see this stuff start getting bottled. (2,021 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blue Lobster branded 750mL growler poured into my brand new Ommegang chalice!

A: Pours very black. There's a khaki colored head that I didn't get the most out of because I almost had a gusher so I had to pour this one before I was ready to. There's a khaki ring that is left around the surface of the beer.

S: I catch some coffee and chocolate notes upon first whiff. I also smell some smoky peat. There's a little sugary sweetness that also come through in the back of this. Very pleasant smelling for sure, though not as pronounced as some other porters I've had.

T: Coffee and chocolate overtakes the first taste of this. Some smokiness from the peat and a little rye come through as well. This may not sound like much, but the depth of this porter is incredible. The coffee and chocolate mesh as one as the rye introduces itself on the back end. The smoky flavor is presented towards the end and leaves a lasting impression which makes we instantly grab my glass for another sip. Well done.

M: I feel like I could just chew this beer. There's a heavy, creamy mouthfeel that reminds me that this is indeed a porter. The booze is hidden extremely well and this is quite drinkable.

Overall: Blue Lobster did a phenomenal job with this beer. I can tell that this brewery zeroed in on making a great base porter and ramping it up a notch by adding rye and smoking peat. This method leaves this beer with its own distinct flavor. I'm glad to have found a nice local brewery within 2 hours of my house. I can see myself refilling this growler with Ragged Neck Rye every time I take the trip to Hampton. (1,605 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pitch black beauty with a generous dense mocha head.

Aroma initially is like smelling cocoa inside of its tin. A sublime roastness wafts through and a sugary malt. Some hints of coffee and anise.

Semi-sweet malt front with a dry hop followed by dark chocolate. Layered nicely with a crème brule', caramelized sugar, whipped heavy cream sensation.

Medium porter/stout that is creamy in a dreamy way. Heck, you can even chew on this. Juz 'nuff carbonation and the coffee lingers well into the nose. Hops provide a slight dry bitter bite.

What I really love about this is that it is not boozy. I get the creaminess, chocolate, coffee, hop, roast, dessert, etc. and it's layered by a skilled artist. My only drawback was that the rye got kinda muted, but I knew immediately upon my sample that a growler was in order. This masterpiece is superb! One of my favorite offering from these guys. (891 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours a dark, murky brown reminiscent of swamp juice, only delicious looking. At first a couple fingers of nice tan blubbles that dies down to a thin head over a few minutes time. Good head retention beyond that. nice lacing.

S: Burnt Coffee, bitter dark chocolate, smokey-peet aromas, and a slight hint of burnt brown sugar on the back end.

T: Wow, it is hard to pick out individual flavors with this brew. Everything melds together so well, but ill give it a shot. Mild bitter chocolate flavor from the roasted rye malts, slight dark coffee, and a tame smokiness around the edges.

M: Liquid Velvet

O: This is an excellent porter. So very well done in so many ways. In my opinion, a good brewery is one that can pick a style, nail it with a damn near perfect interpretation of the style, and then put a slight twist on it to make it all their own. Blue lobster has done just that. The rye malts and peet smokiness make this a top notch porter worthy of competing with the best. (985 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this last night, during a bit of drinking, and I can't do a fancy review, but I am a Porter lover, and this is a very nice porter. Much better than I expected given the visibility of the Brewery. I was actually in Hampton, and I know I drove past the brewery at least three times, but I didn't see it. (I was there on other business.) After I tried it at two local pubs I was hoping I would pass the brewery when they were open and manage to get a growler to bring home.
Basically, my message to you is, if you like Porter and you have an opportunity to try this, but it will take some effort, do it, you won't regret it...super nice porter. I wish I lived closer. (671 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17.8%

750 mL growler that leaked in transit. Still opened with a pop.

Appearance - Pours a pretty flat black. Transparent at the edges. No head. Thin collar.

Smell - Very roasty. Burnt coffee. Dark chocolate. Simple but good.

Taste - Like the smell, less intense. Dark chocolate. Lots of burnt coffee. Just a hint of caramel.

Mouthfeel - Medium light body. Low carbonation. Probably the growler.

Overall - Just about as simple as a porter gets, but pretty good. (460 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A-Pours close to black. Tan head leaves softer lacing.

S-The description said it was peated in some sense and I can grab onto that. The rye intermingles with the roast and chocolate quite well. The nose is not very intense.

T-More of the same here. Rye mixes quite well with the chocolate and the roastiness. Underlying peaty notes here too. I enjoy its complexity.

M-Medium to full in body. Softer carbonation. Booze hidden quite well.

O/D-A cool Porter. I wasn't extremely enamored with it but a a couple ounces in a taster glass was well worth it in my book. (565 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ragged Neck Rye pours black into the glass with a big, thick creamy light tan head. The foam fades slowly leaving behind a thick coating of lace on the sides of the glass.

The aroma has rich notes of chocolate, roasted malt, nuts, and a touch of pine.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is creamy, smooth with moderate carbonation. The flavor is much like the aroma; Chocolate, roast malt, nuts, toffee plus some wheat bread. It finishes dry, mildly bitter with a touch of grass and pine. Once gone the chocolate and pine bitterness lingers on the palate.

This is a very tasty beer with a great mouthfeel. It's easy to drink, but you want to savor every sip. (670 characters)

Ragged Neck Rye from Blue Lobster Brewing Company