Revolver Blood And Honey - Revolver Brewing

Revolver Brewing visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-20-2012

Ale brewed with blood orange peels, honey and spices.
Ratings: 428 | Reviews: 54
Reviews by JGlitz87:
3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #83 (Dec 2013):

A most original and complex unfiltered beer brewed with blood orange zest, local honey and spices. The zest is bold and bright, and provides an interesting balance for the residual honey and malty notes. Perhaps a bit too spiced for us, as we would have loved to see those oranges and honey play a bit more, but regardless, a solid and creative brew.

STYLE: American Wheat Ale
ABV: 7.0%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Hazy, pale yellow, thin white lacing

SMELL: Gummy, spice, honey, orange zest

TASTE: Medium bodied, slight chewiness, toasty, yeasty, honey, tangy, oranges, allspice, bready, dry; honey and spice linger

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

very very very very good

On tap at the Common Table. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of orange citrus notes, as well as some wheat. The flavor is more complex. I get some great wheat and honey notes, as well as some herbs and juicy citrus. As I drink the beer, the herbal notes get stronger and stronger and add more and more to the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Definitely one of the most interesting pours I've seen . . . Creamy, foamy, frothy marshmallow head. Sediments are are over the place in this glass, almost like someone tossed a handful of dust in my glass, beautiful really ! Feel is pretty spectacular. Kinda sticky, creamy and smooth. So far I'm very pleased with this beer. Taste is impressive as well. Honey, citrus zest . . . Orange, lemon, grapefruit, grass shavings and others as well as some peppery spices. An oniony and garlic taste on the end. This is a pretty terrific beer that took me by surprise. Thank you @Chavez316 for this amazing extra.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

Received in a trade from IGer thereal_adam, who I'm pretty sure is also on Beer Advocate somewhere.

The beer has a great appearance, golden, straw-colored liquid, cloudy and unfiltered like a hefeweizen. The pour produced a two-and-a-half finger thick head that is creamy, frothy and abundant in sticky lace that pegs to the sides of the glass.

I have to work a little bit to ge some aroma off the nose, but I do get sweetness, wheat, citrus, and honey. It's pretty mellow but it's there.

Wow! This beer is really light and refreshing to drink, yet there's a lot on the flavor profile. In many ways, it reminds me of Marble's Wildflower Wheat, but with a few other flavor notes. I get sweet pale malts, honey, a slight citrus aftertaste and some grassiness and wheatiness. Bread lingers on my tongue after each sip.

It's a sweeter beer, but by no means a soda. Very well-balanced, thick and creamy on the mouth, yet still refreshing enough for trips to the park or barbecues.

I'm a fan and I bet at any barbecue this would be a huge hit.

2.32/5  rDev -39.9%

I am a little disappointed. I expected more. still better than Bud but at this price point and ingredients i expected more flavor, more punch more period

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice bright golden yellow with a big white head. Lot's of dark bits and pieces. Smells terrific! Smells very sweet, fresh and citrusy. However, there's no sweetness in the taste. A very lively clean and refreshing beer. Really enjoyed this one.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Love this beer. An american wheat with a nice citrus taste. One of my favorite craft beers around.

Paired well with BBQ but was a little too sweet for me

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had our growler filled at Brewed here in Fort Worth.

A: Was a cloudy golden honey yellow. Nice head which did not stick around for very long, and left little lacing if any on the glass.

S: This one had a nice spicy citrus note with honey and wheat as well.

T: The taste of this is unlike any wheat beer that I have had before. As noted above for the smell all the citrus is there from the blood orange zest. You get the banana esters that you would in your usual wheat beer. The honey adds this great complex sweet character, that mingles nicely with the slightly bitter hops.

M: This one is smooth drinking, and very refreshing. This one is going down nicely.

O: This is quickly becoming one of my favorite wheat beers. The complexity of the taste really had me surprised. I was used to writing off all wheat beers as generally tasting the same. Really glad that I have access to this as it is one that my wife and I can both share. Looking forward to drinking lots more this summer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

The beer pours a cloudy orange body. The smell is sweet, with blood orange and honey. The taste is very similar to the taste, but I also get a nice wheat flavor. The beer tingles on the back of the throat and goes down easy. This is the best wheat beer I have ever had.

4.06/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with stillmatic2232.

Pours out a half opaque, half clear dark orange, with barely any head, only a small film, and no lacing. There's a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, once it lands in the glass, the beer becomes basically opaque orange. Weird, but interesting.

Smells like oranges, pepper, cinnamon, and honey. The spicing is quite strong in the aroma.

The taste is pretty similar. Very strong spicing that works well against the sweetness of the blood oranges and honey. Some wheat bitterness lingers for a short period.

Light to medium bodied, very crisp mouthfeel, and very drinkable.

This was a little bit oddball, but still very tasty and one of the more unique wheat beers I've had.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy and pulpy, pineapple colored body as poured into my pint glass. Nice finger of foamy white head.
Smells surprisingly mellow of spices, banana, orange, wheat and slight vanilla, and even slighter honey.
This tastes like a sweet and wheaty type of saison due to the spices, and then quickly I get the impression this blend belongs more so in a holiday edition. I think it's initially tasty and comes off well-balanced, however I was not expecting the spices to carry-over into the aftertaste as they do. A bit too much of those, and at times metallic, although the overall sweetness of the honey-like malt backs it up so it remains drinkable.
Feels fairly thick and smooth mouthfeel.
It's something to try. I'm not sure if I'd seek it again, but yes I'd take it cold if offered.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Light but a good bitter for a wheat. Maybe it's just the pour I got, but it tastes a bit salty.

The beer poured an opaque orange to straw yellow with a lot of sediment. I poured about 3/4 of it in my glass, activated the yeast, and poured the rest. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of cloves and orange. I may have detected a bit of honey in the sweet but it could have been my mind making me taste it due to the name. The taste was full of the same spice and orange all riding the honey sweet body. It was not like honey nut cheerios sweet but rather a good full beer sweetness. The orange and spice fully emerge as the beer warmed and even gave the Blood and Honey a bit of tartness. I could also detect the base wheat beer flavors of clove and bananas underneath the orange. The full bodied brew offered a wonderful take on a standard wheat beer. I love blood oranges and the blood and honey highlights those flavors. A winner in my book.

4.59/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was just just release in bottles on 8/8/13. Currently being sold at Central Market in Fort Worth with more locations coming.

A: golden but unfiltered so cloudy

S: citrus

T: acidic from the blood orange and sweetness from the honey

M: very pleasant carbonation and goes down very smoothly

O: A lot of hype locally over the release of this beer in bottles. Certainly lived up to the hype. Strikes me as a great summertime beer.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A cloudy yellow, thin white head, some lacing
S bubblegum and honey
T lots of bubblegum, honey, citrus (I imagine from the blood oranges I understand they brewed this with) also some mild hops on tail end
M velvety, well carbonated, yummy citrus grapefruit bubblegummy aftertaste
O greatly enjoyed, always dig bubblegummy beer, enjoyed on tap at OSDH in Denton

4.19/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky yellow, almost a light orange color with a frothy white head.

It smells of buublegum with a hint of banana and some dry grassy notes in the background.

It tastes of more banana and gum with lots of yeast and a slight metallic twang at the end.

Feels medium bodied with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

This is almost like a strong Belgian Wit, I really enjoyed it and hope my store keeps this in stock.

Had a bottle of this in Weatherford, Texas as we were doing a NC to AZ road trip. Nice smell and lace. The blood oranges worked.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A little too cloudy in appearance, but the taste is so good. It is one I recommend to my friends if they enjoy wheat beers.

4.11/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. A go to for me. Light but great flavor.

12oz. bottle poured to a rounded pint glass.

Aroma- Light straw color. Thick head (two fingers). Very cloudy (wheat beer).

Smell- Orange. Clove. Sweet.

Taste- Sweet and sugary. Orange. Very "wheatey" at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation with a very light body to it. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall- This is currently one of my top 3 favorite beers. I absolutely LOVE it on tap. Much better than the bottle. Definitely a great Texas recommendation!

Extra: High alcohol content for a wheat beer at around 7% ABV.

ALWAYS better on tap.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a hazy pale orange color with lots of sediment floating. Nice spicy and citrus flavor. Clean finish and it hides the 7% very well.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a hand glass.

A: Hazy, bright, golden hue. Pours a 2 finger, frothy, white head. Settles slowly, leaving plenty of dry, sticky residue behind as it does. Never fully settles. Plenty of thick, beer ring lacing.

S: Sourdough, cinnamon, and nutmeg. A little orange citrus.

T: Wheaty, with some citrus rind, and a light hint of cinnamon.

M: Syrupy and thick body. Kind of bitter, yeasty finish. A little steely in the end.

D: Sip and enjoy... it's worth it.

Atmosphere is really good. Opaque golden hue, thick persistent frothy head, and plenty of lacing. Nose is bready with fall spice and some citrus. Thick and syrupy wheat, accentuated with citrus rind, and cinnamon spice. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Scored this as an extra in a deal (thanks greg_h). Poured into a pokal glass, produced a thin 1/2" head which dissipated fairly quickly. A: I love the appearance of an unfiltered wheat. Hazy and golden in the glass. S: You can really smell the spice and the honey from the glass. T: nice and light. Get the spice and hint of orange off the nose with a clean finish. Reminds me of a more flavorful Oberon. No hint of booze, really well blended. Also with a light and refreshing mouth feel. Overall, I am really impressed with this beer. Being from Chicago, I'd never even heard of it before. I would say it's one of my new favorites of the style. Great summer beer.

Revolver Blood And Honey from Revolver Brewing