Revolver Blood And Honey - Revolver Brewing

Revolver Brewing visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-20-2012

Ale brewed with blood orange peels, honey and spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Revolver Blood And Honey Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

12oz. bottle poured to a rounded pint glass.

Aroma- Light straw color. Thick head (two fingers). Very cloudy (wheat beer).

Smell- Orange. Clove. Sweet.

Taste- Sweet and sugary. Orange. Very "wheatey" at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation with a very light body to it. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall- This is currently one of my top 3 favorite beers. I absolutely LOVE it on tap. Much better than the bottle. Definitely a great Texas recommendation!

Extra: High alcohol content for a wheat beer at around 7% ABV.

ALWAYS better on tap. (552 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The beer that pulled me into the craft brew world..and My favorite beer from revolver brewing co.!! Perfect summer time beer..paired pretty damn well with fried shrimp and fried alligator bites! (194 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

The beer pours a cloudy orange body. The smell is sweet, with blood orange and honey. The taste is very similar to the taste, but I also get a nice wheat flavor. The beer tingles on the back of the throat and goes down easy. This is the best wheat beer I have ever had. (269 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Went straight to the source for this beer. Every Saturday they have a beer tasting and it's worth the trip.

A: Cloudy full color to it, a golden light amber.

S: Sweet but firm smell.

T: Great flavor, not thin and not over flavored.

M: Full and smooth.

Overall a great beer, a year round drinker and favorite. (313 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was just just release in bottles on 8/8/13. Currently being sold at Central Market in Fort Worth with more locations coming.

A: golden but unfiltered so cloudy

S: citrus

T: acidic from the blood orange and sweetness from the honey

M: very pleasant carbonation and goes down very smoothly

O: A lot of hype locally over the release of this beer in bottles. Certainly lived up to the hype. Strikes me as a great summertime beer. (440 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this gem at the flying saucer in Ft. Worth. I was fairly surprised with how different it is.

First sip was a little disappointing. Wasn't much to it. But, by the third, I found the flavor. The taste of the blood oranges gives it a very interesting taste. Mix that with spices and honey, and it becomes something I've never experienced.

It wasn't as thick as most wheats I've had. Which is fine with me. And there wasn't much of a head. What was there dissipated fairly quickly.

Overall, I was impressed, and will have it again. (536 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Scored this as an extra in a deal (thanks greg_h). Poured into a pokal glass, produced a thin 1/2" head which dissipated fairly quickly. A: I love the appearance of an unfiltered wheat. Hazy and golden in the glass. S: You can really smell the spice and the honey from the glass. T: nice and light. Get the spice and hint of orange off the nose with a clean finish. Reminds me of a more flavorful Oberon. No hint of booze, really well blended. Also with a light and refreshing mouth feel. Overall, I am really impressed with this beer. Being from Chicago, I'd never even heard of it before. I would say it's one of my new favorites of the style. Great summer beer. (669 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A friend of mine took me out to Granbury, Texas for a Saturday tour at the brewery. Out of the 4 on tap, this is my favorite. It's unfiltered, brewed with local honey and blood orange peel. Good flavor with the alcohol hidden well. Very tasty. There's a serious amount of detail and consistency going into this recipe all the way down to the on-site well water from the Trinity Aquifer.

It is bottled and distributed here locally and worth the extra dollar for this great tasting beer. Between the bottled and on tap, prefer on tap of course. But the beer bottled up tastes just as good. Any given Saturday, when you can, take the trip out to the brewery to enjoy some music, local food, horse shoes and great tasting beer. (724 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another bottle that travelled to me from Texas thru my son's generous efforts! Poured into a pint glass, nice foamy white head with excellent lacing. The smell of oranges and honey is enticing. A cloudy yellow - orange color with a bit of sediment apparent, which is natural for an unfiltered beer. Tasting it there is a definite honey and orange sweetness that was well-balanced and simply deeelicious! I wish I had more than one of these! (442 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky yellow, almost a light orange color with a frothy white head.

It smells of buublegum with a hint of banana and some dry grassy notes in the background.

It tastes of more banana and gum with lots of yeast and a slight metallic twang at the end.

Feels medium bodied with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

This is almost like a strong Belgian Wit, I really enjoyed it and hope my store keeps this in stock. (426 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a very pale straw-colored beer with a small head, that fades pretty quickly. The nose is excellent, with a sweet light maltiness, lots of wheat, and tart citrus peel notes, the latter very wit-like. The taste is interesting and unique. The malt is much more prominent than I expected--it's even a little heady. Citrus isn't as prominent as in the nose, but it's still detectable. There is some subtle, not really identifiable spiciness, perhaps from the yeast used. Very good beer! (489 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

I am not the most seasoned reviewer, but I had this beer yesterday on tap at Monty's Corner in Fort Worth's Montgomery Plaza. They sold me on it by talking about how it was made locally in Granbury.

The beer had a cloudy look to it, and a distinct smell of honey. Not much in the way of head and little lacing. This could be due to the chilled glass they served it in, which was more of a schooner.

The taste was a little thin. Taste of honey and wheat, but the taste disappeared from your palate in about half a second. Very odd sensation. By the time you finish swallowing, there is absolutely no lingering taste.

Beer was served extremely cold in a chilled glass, so I probably should have let it warm a bit to get the full flavor, but was on a time crunch.

On second try, this was much better, maybe the first go round was stale.

Lots of honey and blood orange in the nose and the palate. Well balanced and drinkable, with a solid mouth feel for style. All in all, a great offering from Revolver. (1,005 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Revolver Brewery is located about five minutes from my house and I tried this beer when they first opened their doors. The sweetness of the beer stands out to a lot of people, and some people just don't like it. However, it think it adds a nice refreshing quality to the beer and it's something I could enjoy outside on a hot summer day with no problems, and I've done it at their location. This is their most popular beer by far, and it's the one that they are bottling currently too. They're still a small operation as far as breweries are concerned but they have been growing very quickly. (592 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with stillmatic2232.

Pours out a half opaque, half clear dark orange, with barely any head, only a small film, and no lacing. There's a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, once it lands in the glass, the beer becomes basically opaque orange. Weird, but interesting.

Smells like oranges, pepper, cinnamon, and honey. The spicing is quite strong in the aroma.

The taste is pretty similar. Very strong spicing that works well against the sweetness of the blood oranges and honey. Some wheat bitterness lingers for a short period.

Light to medium bodied, very crisp mouthfeel, and very drinkable.

This was a little bit oddball, but still very tasty and one of the more unique wheat beers I've had. (729 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Serving from bottle. You can see the yeast through the bottle, actually looks very tastey just looking at it. Pours a bright golden color with a foamy head. Smells of citrus notes not overpowering. Taste is sweet, lemon, orange, a slight boozyness. Finishes sharp. Very refreshing, drinkable, and unique. (304 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Definitely one of the most interesting pours I've seen . . . Creamy, foamy, frothy marshmallow head. Sediments are are over the place in this glass, almost like someone tossed a handful of dust in my glass, beautiful really ! Feel is pretty spectacular. Kinda sticky, creamy and smooth. So far I'm very pleased with this beer. Taste is impressive as well. Honey, citrus zest . . . Orange, lemon, grapefruit, grass shavings and others as well as some peppery spices. An oniony and garlic taste on the end. This is a pretty terrific beer that took me by surprise. Thank you @Chavez316 for this amazing extra. (606 characters)

On tap at the Common Table. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of orange citrus notes, as well as some wheat. The flavor is more complex. I get some great wheat and honey notes, as well as some herbs and juicy citrus. As I drink the beer, the herbal notes get stronger and stronger and add more and more to the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice. (409 characters)

The beer poured an opaque orange to straw yellow with a lot of sediment. I poured about 3/4 of it in my glass, activated the yeast, and poured the rest. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of cloves and orange. I may have detected a bit of honey in the sweet but it could have been my mind making me taste it due to the name. The taste was full of the same spice and orange all riding the honey sweet body. It was not like honey nut cheerios sweet but rather a good full beer sweetness. The orange and spice fully emerge as the beer warmed and even gave the Blood and Honey a bit of tartness. I could also detect the base wheat beer flavors of clove and bananas underneath the orange. The full bodied brew offered a wonderful take on a standard wheat beer. I love blood oranges and the blood and honey highlights those flavors. A winner in my book. (861 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had our growler filled at Brewed here in Fort Worth.

A: Was a cloudy golden honey yellow. Nice head which did not stick around for very long, and left little lacing if any on the glass.

S: This one had a nice spicy citrus note with honey and wheat as well.

T: The taste of this is unlike any wheat beer that I have had before. As noted above for the smell all the citrus is there from the blood orange zest. You get the banana esters that you would in your usual wheat beer. The honey adds this great complex sweet character, that mingles nicely with the slightly bitter hops.

M: This one is smooth drinking, and very refreshing. This one is going down nicely.

O: This is quickly becoming one of my favorite wheat beers. The complexity of the taste really had me surprised. I was used to writing off all wheat beers as generally tasting the same. Really glad that I have access to this as it is one that my wife and I can both share. Looking forward to drinking lots more this summer. (991 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a hand glass.

A: Hazy, bright, golden hue. Pours a 2 finger, frothy, white head. Settles slowly, leaving plenty of dry, sticky residue behind as it does. Never fully settles. Plenty of thick, beer ring lacing.

S: Sourdough, cinnamon, and nutmeg. A little orange citrus.

T: Wheaty, with some citrus rind, and a light hint of cinnamon.

M: Syrupy and thick body. Kind of bitter, yeasty finish. A little steely in the end.

D: Sip and enjoy... it's worth it.

Atmosphere is really good. Opaque golden hue, thick persistent frothy head, and plenty of lacing. Nose is bready with fall spice and some citrus. Thick and syrupy wheat, accentuated with citrus rind, and cinnamon spice. Overall, this is a really good quaff. (749 characters)

3.91/5  rDev 0%

Received in a trade from IGer thereal_adam, who I'm pretty sure is also on Beer Advocate somewhere.

The beer has a great appearance, golden, straw-colored liquid, cloudy and unfiltered like a hefeweizen. The pour produced a two-and-a-half finger thick head that is creamy, frothy and abundant in sticky lace that pegs to the sides of the glass.

I have to work a little bit to ge some aroma off the nose, but I do get sweetness, wheat, citrus, and honey. It's pretty mellow but it's there.

Wow! This beer is really light and refreshing to drink, yet there's a lot on the flavor profile. In many ways, it reminds me of Marble's Wildflower Wheat, but with a few other flavor notes. I get sweet pale malts, honey, a slight citrus aftertaste and some grassiness and wheatiness. Bread lingers on my tongue after each sip.

It's a sweeter beer, but by no means a soda. Very well-balanced, thick and creamy on the mouth, yet still refreshing enough for trips to the park or barbecues.

I'm a fan and I bet at any barbecue this would be a huge hit. (1,057 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A-hazy golden color with hint of orange, nice white head and decent lacing

S-wheat, honey, hint of orange, spices

T-wheat, toasted malt, honey, light orange, hint of cinnamon, mild bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-nice blend of flavors, enjoyable drinking (290 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A cloudy yellow, thin white head, some lacing
S bubblegum and honey
T lots of bubblegum, honey, citrus (I imagine from the blood oranges I understand they brewed this with) also some mild hops on tail end
M velvety, well carbonated, yummy citrus grapefruit bubblegummy aftertaste
O greatly enjoyed, always dig bubblegummy beer, enjoyed on tap at OSDH in Denton (360 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow with a very fizzy head. The smell was wonderful with a lot of spicy and zesty flavors coming through. Lemon peel and pepper seemed to come through heavy. The palate was nice with a bite from the hops being softened by the blood orange. refreshing and really nice for summertime. (303 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy and pulpy, pineapple colored body as poured into my pint glass. Nice finger of foamy white head.
Smells surprisingly mellow of spices, banana, orange, wheat and slight vanilla, and even slighter honey.
This tastes like a sweet and wheaty type of saison due to the spices, and then quickly I get the impression this blend belongs more so in a holiday edition. I think it's initially tasty and comes off well-balanced, however I was not expecting the spices to carry-over into the aftertaste as they do. A bit too much of those, and at times metallic, although the overall sweetness of the honey-like malt backs it up so it remains drinkable.
Feels fairly thick and smooth mouthfeel.
It's something to try. I'm not sure if I'd seek it again, but yes I'd take it cold if offered. (787 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast