Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Revolver Blood And Honey - Revolver Brewing

Revolver Blood And HoneyRevolver Blood And Honey

Revolver Brewing visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-20-2012

Ale brewed with blood orange peels, honey and spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Revolver Blood And Honey Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.43/5  rDev -35.5%

Sampled at GABF 2015

Really disappointed in this brew. Slight honey smell, faint honey richness on a sip that lingers for a bit. Sweetness immediately present on first sip. Mouthfeel comparable to an adjunct lager but with honey, and with less carbonation.

Overall, a sad offering from Revolver. Travesty even calling itself a wheat beer, as it demonstrates almost no wheat beer attributes. Only positive thing I can say about it is that its sweetness makes it approachable to non craft beer drinkers.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an effervescent straw color with 3 fingers of pearl white head. Slight haze, nice head retention & lacing

S: Breadyness, pears, grassynesss

T: Pears, honey crisp apples, & light breadyness, white grapes as well up front. Dryness, pears, faint lemon hoppyness as this warms. Finishes fruity, a little dry with some lemon

MF: Medium body with firm carbonation

Drinks easy for the ABV, did like this more on draft, but this well worth a try

This one was actually really surprising. I didn't ecpect to like it, but it was quite enjoyable. Lots of subtle sweetness from the honey and it pairs very well with the style. It didn't blow me away, but I would drink this again for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into wheat beer glass

L: yellow-orange, maybe 9-12 SRM, solid 1-inch head of white/offwhite foam ... sediment everywhere, beer is otherwise clear but the sediment is the main thing you see; little to no sticking or lacing; color is very nice, gold with just a pinch of red in it

S: grain, sour grain, honey ... lots of sweetness under the grain, orange and sweet grapefruit ... very nice; a little wheat banana, but the honey and citrus overpower it; the grain note sounds boring, but it's giving the nose a nice harmony

T: very sweet, lots of honey and grain like the nose but possibly even more sweet ... the citrus flavor is cool, and it's offering a bit of a twist off the traditional hefeweizen banana (which is in here if only as a minor note); grain background helps tame down the sweet, much like the nose

F: soft but full, very hefeweizenlike ... the beer pushes up a constant skin of foam, which softens the feel in a true Old World style

O: love this brew ... it strikes a nice balance between three wheat styles -- the overly sweet American pale style, the tart-grainy American style and the banana hefe; halfway through a six-pack, I'm itching to go get another; one of the best American-made wheat beers I've tried

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

August 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, pint glass

A – Deep golden and moderately hazy, maybe a touch of sediment floating in there. Pours medium-bodied. A limited white foam stand dissipates quickly, but the beer continues to effervesce.

S – Sweet, malty-grainy cracker aroma, definitely some honey or additional sugar in there. A caramel component is in the mix. A deep (blood?) orange aroma is prominent.

T – Orange and orange peel, like Curacao liqueur, with a touch of lime. Sweet malt flavor. If there’s a hop component, I can’t find it. The ingredients in play are very well-used.

M – Sweet, but dry enough to seem well-balanced. Moderate carbonation with a medium, slightly medium-full body. No bitterness.

O – My second time trying this, and much better this go-around. The namesake ingredients are used well. Would definitely drink again.

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale yellow color with a one finger head that recedes without leaving lacing. Aroma of citrus and honey, with honey being the dominant aspect of the smell. Taste is citrus and wheat with a sweet, honey dominated finish. The spices never came through. Medium body and medium carbonation with no aftertaste.
The honey kinda took over and minimized the blood orange and spices. It was smooth and easy to drink, but the orange might've opened up the beer some. Good effort by Revolver.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my go to beers here in Dallas.
I am never disappointed.

B&H is very smooth and easy to drink. A very refreshing beer if that's what you're looking for. It's very sweet and a little tangy, but also has a boldness behind it that warms your body with every drink.

One of this area's better beers, in my opinion, and is now showing up in many restaurants and bars all around Dallas/Fort Worth which is great!

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

An interesting beer here.

Drank a single left at my place after a party.

The taste actually reminds me a little bit of Pumpkinator for some reason....perhaps the cinnamon? An intriguing take of a wheat ale for sure. Tasty and refreshing.

I will buy it yes I will.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Very tasty! Unique fruit and cinnamony taste. Odd at first taste but addictive. I will definitely be buying this again. Glad that it is now readily available in my part of Texas!

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm a little biased being from Texas but this beer is great.
Really refreshing but not light. When I first got this and the bartender said it was 7% I was shocked because it went down so nice.

Smells great, tastes great. You can taste the sweetness of the honey but it's not overwhelming by any stretch.
Highly recommend this on a hot summer day or any day really.

4.11/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very frothy murky pour with a big head. Smells great,mouth citrus and spice combined. Tastes like honey wheat with orange and lemon. A very bold version of any summer wheat ale that leaves a clean taste in your mouth. Love this beer!

2.32/5  rDev -38.5%

I am a little disappointed. I expected more. still better than Bud but at this price point and ingredients i expected more flavor, more punch more period

3.69/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #83 (Dec 2013):

A most original and complex unfiltered beer brewed with blood orange zest, local honey and spices. The zest is bold and bright, and provides an interesting balance for the residual honey and malty notes. Perhaps a bit too spiced for us, as we would have loved to see those oranges and honey play a bit more, but regardless, a solid and creative brew.

STYLE: American Wheat Ale
ABV: 7.0%

LOOK: Hazy, pale yellow, thin white lacing

SMELL: Gummy, spice, honey, orange zest

TASTE: Medium bodied, slight chewiness, toasty, yeasty, honey, tangy, oranges, allspice, bready, dry; honey and spice linger

1.28/5  rDev -66%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Tastes like read meat simmering in honey.... The blood part of the name does not come from the blood orange peel.... To me it comes from meat blood....
One of the worst beers I have had in my life. I would take a PBR any time over this beer.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow with a very fizzy head. The smell was wonderful with a lot of spicy and zesty flavors coming through. Lemon peel and pepper seemed to come through heavy. The palate was nice with a bite from the hops being softened by the blood orange. refreshing and really nice for summertime.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Smells like a fireball shot. Kind of a shallow taste overall. Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State! Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test; O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Definitely one of the most interesting pours I've seen . . . Creamy, foamy, frothy marshmallow head. Sediments are are over the place in this glass, almost like someone tossed a handful of dust in my glass, beautiful really ! Feel is pretty spectacular. Kinda sticky, creamy and smooth. So far I'm very pleased with this beer. Taste is impressive as well. Honey, citrus zest . . . Orange, lemon, grapefruit, grass shavings and others as well as some peppery spices. An oniony and garlic taste on the end. This is a pretty terrific beer that took me by surprise. Thank you @Chavez316 for this amazing extra.

The beer poured an opaque orange to straw yellow with a lot of sediment. I poured about 3/4 of it in my glass, activated the yeast, and poured the rest. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of cloves and orange. I may have detected a bit of honey in the sweet but it could have been my mind making me taste it due to the name. The taste was full of the same spice and orange all riding the honey sweet body. It was not like honey nut cheerios sweet but rather a good full beer sweetness. The orange and spice fully emerge as the beer warmed and even gave the Blood and Honey a bit of tartness. I could also detect the base wheat beer flavors of clove and bananas underneath the orange. The full bodied brew offered a wonderful take on a standard wheat beer. I love blood oranges and the blood and honey highlights those flavors. A winner in my book.

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another bottle that travelled to me from Texas thru my son's generous efforts! Poured into a pint glass, nice foamy white head with excellent lacing. The smell of oranges and honey is enticing. A cloudy yellow - orange color with a bit of sediment apparent, which is natural for an unfiltered beer. Tasting it there is a definite honey and orange sweetness that was well-balanced and simply deeelicious! I wish I had more than one of these!

1.99/5  rDev -47.2%

Appearance: Floaty chunky bits in my beer! Some of it doesn't really look like protein coagulation, more like bits of herb maybe? Dark bits floating in the hazy yellow glass with heavy carbonation streams feeding a half finger white head.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spices overwhelm any other notes.

Taste: Pumpkin pie, clove spices are firm and again, mask every other flavor. A bit of an orange juice bitterness. A bit of wet grain grit.

Feel: Prickly carbonation, clean finish, a bit of alcoholic burn.

Overall: I don't like solid bits in my beer, I'm going to pour this out. The flavor isn't too bad, and I really like the concept, but there's not enough here to make me want to drink this. I really hope I just got a bad bottle.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy and pulpy, pineapple colored body as poured into my pint glass. Nice finger of foamy white head.
Smells surprisingly mellow of spices, banana, orange, wheat and slight vanilla, and even slighter honey.
This tastes like a sweet and wheaty type of saison due to the spices, and then quickly I get the impression this blend belongs more so in a holiday edition. I think it's initially tasty and comes off well-balanced, however I was not expecting the spices to carry-over into the aftertaste as they do. A bit too much of those, and at times metallic, although the overall sweetness of the honey-like malt backs it up so it remains drinkable.
Feels fairly thick and smooth mouthfeel.
It's something to try. I'm not sure if I'd seek it again, but yes I'd take it cold if offered.

12oz. bottle poured to a rounded pint glass.

Aroma- Light straw color. Thick head (two fingers). Very cloudy (wheat beer).

Smell- Orange. Clove. Sweet.

Taste- Sweet and sugary. Orange. Very "wheatey" at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation with a very light body to it. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall- This is currently one of my top 3 favorite beers. I absolutely LOVE it on tap. Much better than the bottle. Definitely a great Texas recommendation!

Extra: High alcohol content for a wheat beer at around 7% ABV.

ALWAYS better on tap.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Revolver Brewery is located about five minutes from my house and I tried this beer when they first opened their doors. The sweetness of the beer stands out to a lot of people, and some people just don't like it. However, it think it adds a nice refreshing quality to the beer and it's something I could enjoy outside on a hot summer day with no problems, and I've done it at their location. This is their most popular beer by far, and it's the one that they are bottling currently too. They're still a small operation as far as breweries are concerned but they have been growing very quickly.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Serving from bottle. You can see the yeast through the bottle, actually looks very tastey just looking at it. Pours a bright golden color with a foamy head. Smells of citrus notes not overpowering. Taste is sweet, lemon, orange, a slight boozyness. Finishes sharp. Very refreshing, drinkable, and unique.

4.14/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a very pale straw-colored beer with a small head, that fades pretty quickly. The nose is excellent, with a sweet light maltiness, lots of wheat, and tart citrus peel notes, the latter very wit-like. The taste is interesting and unique. The malt is much more prominent than I expected--it's even a little heady. Citrus isn't as prominent as in the nose, but it's still detectable. There is some subtle, not really identifiable spiciness, perhaps from the yeast used. Very good beer!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast