Black Fin Stout - Drunk Monkey Brew Werks / Kevin Wade Fisher Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 1
Reviews by jifigz:
3.73/5  rDev n/a

A bottle poured into a pint glass. Right on the bottle the label reads: Ale brewed with cranberries. This is probably the first stout I have ever encountered that included cranberries in the beer.

This beer poured a deep, jet black with a huge fluffy off brown/lightly creamed coffee colored head that lingered for quite a while. The head and beer left pretty nice lacing on my pint glass throughout the drinking process and and the head pretty much refused to leave. The aroma of the beer is roasted grains and slightly chocolatey with hints of milkshake like flavors shimmering through. There are also hints of coffee mixed in the aroma but scents present are somewhat subtle but blended together very well. This beer is a little colder than I prefer my darker ales so I am sure that if it was warmer the scent would be more apparent. The taste mimics the aroma pretty closely. It is slightly bitter at first which I am assuming is a hop bitterness and then a flash of roasted grain and chocolate/coffee flavors overtake your palette. The ending dominated again by the bitter notes. The MF is one of the few things that I feel is lacking on this brew. For a stout with such good flavor, aroma, and appearance I feel that the body is a little light and the carbonation maybe just a touch too high. It isn't enough to detract from the overall drinking process of the beer, but I think it could use just a little boost.

Overall this is a pretty good stout. Not the best I have ever had, but it certainly a very good offering from a new brewery. I hope to see this brewery gain a good following and be quite successful since it is from my hometown.

to view more.
Black Fin Stout from Drunk Monkey Brew Werks / Kevin Wade Fisher Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.