Armageddon - Brewmeister

rAvg: 3
Brewmeister visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Eisbock |  65.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 02-07-2013)

jpd7374, Apr 14, 2014

tbone1384, Aug 07, 2013

nkoletti, Jul 02, 2013

weonfire, Apr 29, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -26.7%

After trying a couple other delicious record-breaking Scottish beers my expectations were high.
This beer poured cloudy light brown without much head.
The smell was kind of grainy.
I was expecting complex flavors, but I really just tasted slightly sweet malt.
It's hard to believe this beer had any alcohol let alone 65%. It tasted more like one of those NA malt drinks or maybe just wort.
Given another opportunity, I would check the content myself.

KentMills, Apr 05, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

1 oz pour at the mansion. Really smooth for 65 %. More smooth than utopias. Smokey in the aroma and flavor. Mouth feels is mediium with a good amount of mault.. Not a bad complexity.
Awesome brew enjoyed at the mansion. Best place for a beer.
Thank you Dean!

TKEbeerman, Mar 29, 2013
3.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy beige head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, and caramel. Taste is much the same with a brown sugar flavor and a mild alcohol kick on the finish. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is fairly bland and unexciting. I am very glad I got to try this one, but there is no way this is 65% ABV as stated on the label.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 11, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

Okay, I will admittedly say that I am no expert. I don't know as much about beer as most on here, but I am going to give you the laymans opinion on this beer. A friend of mine bought a couple of bottles for me and I shared one with a couple of people due to the high alcohol content.

I was surprised at the taste. It didn't really taste like a beer and was kind of sweet. Although it didn't taste like a beer, I thought it tasted good.

I liked it, but would not dole out the money for it and glad it was a gift rather than having paid for the beer.

Willradd99, Mar 06, 2013
3/5  rDev 0%

So I went to a neighbor's for dinner. He'd a rum and coke kind of guy. He says to me, "so I have a beer I garuntee you've never had. It's the highest alcohol content ever for a beer and I saw it in usa today and had to have it." And here we are.

Murky greenish brown with no carbonation or head.

The smell was a little caramel with some steamed green veggies.

The taste was vegetal, more caramel, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel was flat, as to be expected. What wasn't expected was that the alcohol was barely detectable.

I'm with the first reviewer, I'm not buying the 65% on the label. That's too bad, because the beer was not very good and a strong buzz would have be welcome. Did I mention my neighbor paid $400 for a six pack to be shipped from Scotland? Haha. He "had to have it." The website says it should be consumed like a fine whisky. Hilarious. For that kind if cash you can get some seriously great whisky.

Vonerichs, Feb 09, 2013
3.21/5  rDev +7%

Opened a bottle with DaveHack and Millerbuffoon.

Wanted to get this one here for a while now. The beer was brought to my attention by some friends at work. I purchased a bottle and waited a while for it to arrive. Once it did I had it around the house for a while and wanted to open it with a few people instead of just myself. Mainly because of the bottle claiming it's 65% abv.

The beer poured out as a murky amber color with a few bubbles on top but not a trace of retention or lacing on this beer. The smell of the beer is pretty nice actually, it's sweet and rather appealing. There isn't much of a boozy essence coming off of this one like some high abv beers do. The taste is pretty good, it still tastes like malt and has some hops in the mix as well. The mouthfeel was a but flat, and medium to heavy.

Overall I'm leaving the abv blank on this one because I don't think it's actually 65%... which kind of pisses me off. However, if the beer is truly that high then it's the easiest drinking 65% I've ever come across. So this beer is a bit of a mystery, I'm calling it an Eisbock only due to the freezing process it went through but it's nothing like that that style at all. It's tough to judge this one... after drinking a "Sink the Bismarck!" a few years ago at a believable 41% you could honestly tell it was really that high. This one falls short of impressive... not sure what happened here.

Knapp85, Feb 07, 2013