Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Musk Of The Minotaur IPA - Hoof Hearted Brewing

Musk Of The Minotaur IPAMusk Of The Minotaur IPA

Hoof Hearted Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: beesy on 03-27-2013

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a glass. Unfiltered, hazy yellow. Smells a lot like a lighter version of Roller Blabe from these guys - pineapple, passion fruit, possibly grapefruit. Flavor a bit of a let down from the aroma. Seems a little thin, and lacks a punch. Decent bitter kick at the back end. All told it's a very good IPA worth seeking out, but if you have the choice, upgrade to the DIPA pseudo-clone in Roller Blabe. (410 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

These guys are really knocking it out of the park with their IPAs. They seem to fit into that Heady Topper type of IPA but I might like this better. Cloudy in the pour almost like a pineapple juice nice lacing on the glass. Very nice aroma and a soft approachable body, not too bitter and not too dry. Overall a very good beer. (327 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks unfiltered.

Smells like pineapple, strawberry, lemon, and oranges. Incredible.

Taste isn't as dimensional as the nose but still is crushingly refreshing and assertively hoppy. Almost like drinking orange juice.

Mouthfeel is spot on. All together its a great IPA. (274 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I think these guys might be emerging as Ohio's next awesome brewery. From what I can tell from the couple beers I've had from them, they seem to be chasing the same kind of flavors and aromas that you find with a lot of the trendsetters in the craft beer kingdom. This one is no exception with flavors and aromas that are tropical as it gets. Real easy to kick back too. (370 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a slightly opaque amber orange.

The aroma offers some sweet citrus of orange and red grapefruit, biscuity malt, a touch of sweetness, floral, grass, some resinous dank.

The flavor follows with a base of grapefruit bitterness. Then slight orange comes through, a light breadiness and sweetness come through, then onto a light dank quality and then a grass and resinous finish. (397 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear pale gold approaching yellow. Poured with thick head and solid lacing. Smell is its best attribute. Vibrant citrus. Hits with bitter up front but is rounded by a nice fresh citrus. Finish is a bit more juice with the bitter fading. Carbonation present with some acidity sting. (282 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got as an extra in a trade. Pours out a light orange yellow color. Smells of pine, citrus, dankness and some light malt. Taste is the same. Very light drinking for the abv. Not a great IPA , but definitely not a bad one. Solid, but wouldn't seek out again. (256 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very aggressively hopped, deep golden in color and super dry. Served in a tulip glass at House Beer, CMH. Not for the faint of hops. A very worthy IPA that must not be passed over. (183 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 PINT can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a golden in color with a few inches of creamy, white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell has tropical and citrus fruits along with pine.

The taste has some citrus with a pine finish. The taste is a little underwhelming after all the hype that I have heard.

Medium

I really want to love this brewery considering their hype and the close proximity to my brewery barren existence. This beer is good but not as good as other IPA's to which I have easy access. (523 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked this up super fresh at my local craft store. Apparently Hoof Hearted sold half their supply of this to the Browns? They don't even have a game for 2 months.
L: Bog standard IPA in appearance. Clear, pale yellow, decent head.
S: Some hop-citrus going on, with a severe amount of "dank". There must be some hops in there.
T: Nice, bright hoppy bitterness, with a citrus kick to it. Nice malt backbone. This is definitely *NOT* a West Coast IPA.
F: About what I've come to expect from an IPA. Not thick, nice carbonation.

Overall: Pretty good beer. Keep passing it over at bars for belgians and whatnot, but with summer being so hot lately, this will likely find itself on my rotation. (691 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had this from a growler (several weeks ago) and now from the can (just hit shelves yesterday)
The beer looks like a standard IPA - light pale yellow, fluffy white head - google image search if you're still in question. The nose definitely does juicy citrus fruits justice, although it's not the most pungent, aromatic IPA I've had. I think the taste and mouthfeel are done quite well -medium bodied, ripe citrus fruits that aren't overly bitter, a rounded, foamy wash of grains that lengthen each gulp, minimal booze, and a semi-lingering grapefruity finish. I think this 16oz canned IPA stands up with most of the over-hyped IPAs out there, definitely worth the cost when fresh. (684 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First can release. July 2015 poured in to a tulip/snifter July 26, 2015. This is an edit of a draft review done in June 2015. Can was better than the keg.

Look - White head thick with a weak pour. Sticky. Pale yellow-orange color. Hazy. Sediment.

Smell - Very faint hop/citrus. Grapefruit. Nutty.

Taste - Bitterness overcame the citrus. Tasted a little nutty to me. A little dank. Bitterness on the tongue to finish.

Feel - Heavy for single IPA. I like it when there isn't too much carbonation. Little chewy.

Overall - The bread and butter of Hoof Hearted. I can't wait until they are more main scale (June 2015 review). The canned version was better than the keg (July 2015). (682 characters)

A delicious ipa this Musk of the Minotaur is. I have some trouble believing this could oust White Rajah in a blind tasting but who knows . . . I wasn't there. Regardless I can't wait until these guys are more accessible. I'll certainly be drinking more. (253 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

I was lucky enough to drink this waaaay back in 2011 when it was first released at a small bar in columbus. Maybe it was the atmosphere, but at the time I thought that this was the nectar of the gods. In retrospect, I think I was right. (237 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +17.7%

For me this is the quintessential IPA. The variant of Musk of the Minotaur I am writing about was brewed with experimental hop #05256 and is amazing. It smells extremely inviting and follows up that smell with a delicious citrus and maybe bit of a peach taste. This IPA that is wonderfully carbonated, easy to drink and leaves you wanting more. I have had other variants of Musk of the Minotaur and it is always wonderful. The flavor profile changes with each variant but the beer is always amazing. Hoof Hearted is doing great things with IPAs. (545 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can into an IPA glass. It appears a beautiful clear golden color with a fluffy white head that has great staying power and leaves awesome lacing. The nose is loaded with citrus and a touch of dank. Definitely the best part of this beer. The taste follows suit almost no noticeable malt character because of the overwhelming hop presence. The citrus is again in the forefront here. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a touch of stickiness left behind. I've had this on draft and now in the can, and from what I remember I think I prefer the can. (565 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32oz swing top filled on Sunday 03/24/13 from Weilands Market where keg was put on a day ahead of filling. Notes from 03/24 and 03/26.

A - pours a hazy light orange in color with a half a finger off white head that sticks around just long enough to notice it before retreating into the glass.

S - on 03/24 the nose was almost non-existent. On 03/26 a brush of cascade'ish citrus was detected before disappearing like a Saturday in mid-Spring in Ohio. Slightly fruity each day.

T - the first thing I notice is the large amount of the same malt flavors I found in the Voltan - I'm not sure if it's a lot of vienna or brown or aromatic malt or what (not as peanut buttery as the Voltan but more nutty - the chocolate and roast malts in the Voltan more than likely made it appear more peanut buttery than nutty) but for me it just complicates the beer too much. A fair amount of hop citrus in the mid-late to late palate but I'm fighting off the unusual malt profile that's overwhelming it. A noticeable hop bitterness that lingers slighlty and is fairly smooth. Malty.

M - medium-light on the tongue. Nothing out of the ordinary to speak of except fairly malt heavy.

D - fairly low for me. It took me two sessions to cash out a 32oz growler although remodeling work took over on Sunday.

Overall, a beer I've been wanting to try for so long but fell short of what I was expecting. The complicated malt profile confuses me even though I can appreciate the brewer making a beer he likes. I think the hop profile would be pretty darn good if the malts weren't confusing it - IMHO American IPA should be more simplistic on the malta, but that's just me opinion. I'm a little torn on the brewery right now and I really want them to get some kick ass stuff in my glass but I've really been working to try these beers and two I've had have let me down a bit. (1,859 characters)

Musk Of The Minotaur IPA from Hoof Hearted Brewing