Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Musk Of The Minotaur IPA - Hoof Hearted Brewing

Musk Of The Minotaur IPAMusk Of The Minotaur IPA

Hoof Hearted Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: beesy on 03-27-2013

Reviews by beesy:
3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32oz swing top filled on Sunday 03/24/13 from Weilands Market where keg was put on a day ahead of filling. Notes from 03/24 and 03/26.

A - pours a hazy light orange in color with a half a finger off white head that sticks around just long enough to notice it before retreating into the glass.

S - on 03/24 the nose was almost non-existent. On 03/26 a brush of cascade'ish citrus was detected before disappearing like a Saturday in mid-Spring in Ohio. Slightly fruity each day.

T - the first thing I notice is the large amount of the same malt flavors I found in the Voltan - I'm not sure if it's a lot of vienna or brown or aromatic malt or what (not as peanut buttery as the Voltan but more nutty - the chocolate and roast malts in the Voltan more than likely made it appear more peanut buttery than nutty) but for me it just complicates the beer too much. A fair amount of hop citrus in the mid-late to late palate but I'm fighting off the unusual malt profile that's overwhelming it. A noticeable hop bitterness that lingers slighlty and is fairly smooth. Malty.

M - medium-light on the tongue. Nothing out of the ordinary to speak of except fairly malt heavy.

D - fairly low for me. It took me two sessions to cash out a 32oz growler although remodeling work took over on Sunday.

Overall, a beer I've been wanting to try for so long but fell short of what I was expecting. The complicated malt profile confuses me even though I can appreciate the brewer making a beer he likes. I think the hop profile would be pretty darn good if the malts weren't confusing it - IMHO American IPA should be more simplistic on the malta, but that's just me opinion. I'm a little torn on the brewery right now and I really want them to get some kick ass stuff in my glass but I've really been working to try these beers and two I've had have let me down a bit.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful brew: bright orange color, bordering on yellow, hazy and cloudy. Good sized snow white head with excellent lacing and retention.

Big, big hoppy aroma, focusing on tropical fruit juice. Mango, tangerine, a touch of grapefruit peel, pale malts, some dank herbs, and an almost milky, wheat-like aspect to the malts.

Flavor mostly follows. There's definitely an emphasis on dankness and juiciness, although the malt provides a very nice, almost chewy presence and sufficient sweetness. The hops are actually reined in a touch, providing just enough tropical juice (mango and pineapple), dankness, and grassiness to round out the flavor profile quite well.

Bitterness is restrained but adequate; the hop focus here is clearly late addition/dry hop.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Both on tap and from an hours old can it is a hazy, pale straw yellow. Very large, puffy white head. A bunch of lacing.

Smells citrusy and sparkly. Kind of like Sprite/ 7up. Also dank/earthy. Much like a typical east coast IPA.

Tastes very crisp and zesty. Orange, lemon, pineapple, and something sort of sweeter, like mango. Very juicy. Sort of herbal. Mainly a combination of fruit rind and fresh hops. A solid chewy biscuit malt base that is almost like an unfiltered wheat beer tones it all down. Any bitterness is all on the back end and builds through the aftertaste. It is far from a hop monster.

Has a Hill Farmstead quality with the yeast. Very active feel. Nice amount of resin and a solid medium to full body.

Overall, this one seems a little muted when compared to Roller Blabe and South of Eleven, but it is an outstanding ipa. Slap an east coast brewery label on it and I bet you hear about it. For what it's worth, I seem to like it a little more straight from the can.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.71/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can I watched come off the canning line, just doesn't get any fresher. Pours a hazy, murky golden yellow. Immediately as it hit the glass, an enormous amount of citrus, fruity aromatic notes. Nice white head with beautiful sticky lacing. Smells of juicy citrus goodness. Taste matches smell spot on. It's straight up fruity goodness matched perfectly with just the right amount of bitterness. Overall this beer is outstanding. I can't wait to see what these guys have up their sleeves.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked this up super fresh at my local craft store. Apparently Hoof Hearted sold half their supply of this to the Browns? They don't even have a game for 2 months.
L: Bog standard IPA in appearance. Clear, pale yellow, decent head.
S: Some hop-citrus going on, with a severe amount of "dank". There must be some hops in there.
T: Nice, bright hoppy bitterness, with a citrus kick to it. Nice malt backbone. This is definitely *NOT* a West Coast IPA.
F: About what I've come to expect from an IPA. Not thick, nice carbonation.

Overall: Pretty good beer. Keep passing it over at bars for belgians and whatnot, but with summer being so hot lately, this will likely find itself on my rotation.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

A delicious ipa this Musk of the Minotaur is. I have some trouble believing this could oust White Rajah in a blind tasting but who knows . . . I wasn't there. Regardless I can't wait until these guys are more accessible. I'll certainly be drinking more.

4.71/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can into an IPA glass. It appears a beautiful clear golden color with a fluffy white head that has great staying power and leaves awesome lacing. The nose is loaded with citrus and a touch of dank. Definitely the best part of this beer. The taste follows suit almost no noticeable malt character because of the overwhelming hop presence. The citrus is again in the forefront here. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a touch of stickiness left behind. I've had this on draft and now in the can, and from what I remember I think I prefer the can.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce can, no dating on it but this just showed up at a recent store over the past week so I'm assuming it's from a recent canning. Served in a DFH IPA glass, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with a couple inch white head that stuck around a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. The brew smells like citrusy (oranges, grapefruit, tropical fruit) hops, earthy dankness and some bready malt. I think the taste is pretty much like the aroma, but the dankness really shows up and is stronger compared to the other flavors. It's a nice dank and fruity IPA! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating with moderate carbonation. I liked this one a lot, the dankness made this a nice change of pace compared to most of the other IPA's I've had recently. It's also a brew that I thought got better the longer I drank it. Glad I picked some up this morning! $10.99 a 4-pack.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 PINT can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a golden in color with a few inches of creamy, white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell has tropical and citrus fruits along with pine.

The taste has some citrus with a pine finish. The taste is a little underwhelming after all the hype that I have heard.

I really want to love this brewery considering their hype and the close proximity to my brewery barren existence. This beer is good but not as good as other IPA's to which I have easy access.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The old standby of Hoof Hearted. Nice mix of piney and citrus characters, one of the easiest drinking IPAs I've ever had. Reminds me a lot of Lawson's offerings and not a bad price point either.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Musk Of The Minotaur IPA from Hoof Hearted Brewing