Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

"Genny" Cream Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 506 | Hads: 1,225
4.6/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color: pours and sits clear gold

Smell: very clean and crisp. very mild sweetness. little to no hops. some adjunct detected

Taste: crisp and clean like a lager but some obvious citrus notes. somewhat dry

Mouthfeel: light body. moderate carbonation

Notes: excellent beer to bridge the gap from lagers to ales. does just what the style is intended to do. really prepares you to experience the different flavors ale yeast offers. (430 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +48.4%

one of the best I have had from this brewery. Golden color with a medium head. Smell of corn and cream. Tastes very smooth. Mouthful is very smooth and creamy. Drinkabilty is wonderful. A 6.99 a six pack this beer is a really good steal. Would recommend this beer for you average joe (283 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +44.2%

As in a previous review I agree that it appeals to many every day beer drinkers. It has a very nice head with an exceptional color of amber. Goes down very smooth. I picked up a 30 pack @ Consumers Beer Depot in Milwaukee. Wish I would have purchased 3 or 4 @11.99. (265 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +44.2%

Have been drinking this ale for years. Tasts refreshing, and makes a nice head in a glass. A great beer for the price.

Have been disappointed lately with the new can exterior graphic design. Makes it look "generic" or something purchased at a Dollar Store. Although the great taste of the ale beer, I would be embarassed to ofer it to a friend, it looks soooo... cheap. (370 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +43.5%

Drank this one straight from the 40oz bottle, purchased for about $2.00! Can't see the brew, so I'll rate the label as "good."

Smells slightly malty and hoppy. No offensive smells at all!

Tastes pretty darn good, I can see why this is a medal winner! Very smooth, good malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel, just the right amount of CO2. Not harsh at all. Very drinkable! One of the easiest 40's to down. I would like to try this again, especially if I can find it on tap. What a value! (511 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +42.9%

this beer i have had in a can, bottle and draft, all have been great, this beer is not loved by many, but its hard to find and when i do i buy alot, love the stuff, awsome lawnmower beer!!!!, it must be cold our it imparts a somewhat sour taste, but overall good taste, (269 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +42.6%

This is one of my perennial favorites going back to the early 70's. Nothing like a couple of "Jennies" on a hot summer day! Light in color,a very pleasant aroma, great taste. A more than one beer, and not bad even straight from the can! Well known in the New York Metro area. (275 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +41.9%

Genesee Cream Ale
Head: Thin white foam dosn't hang on verry long.
Body: Clear yellowish tint .
Taste: Smothe light creemy flavor slight bit of malt.
Aftertaste was mello and refreshning.

Good for this style, watch out for the "Genee scremers". (254 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I just picked up a 24 oz can for around a buck at a local gas station.

I always saw the can mixed in with all the horrible low-end Keystone shit and assumed it was a terrible beer. Boy, how wrong I was.

This is an amazing beer for the price.
It's like a great domestic refreshing lager, but with extra creaminess and substance.

I still can't believe I missed this. My new go-to on the cheap.
Cheers. (402 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +41%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A good everyday kind of beer that is more complex and tastes better than a lot of people give it credit for. Nothing mind blowing here just good simple beer you can enjoy at a excellent price. (192 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +38.7%

I think that, though not obviously the pinnacle of anything, this beer is somewhat iconic. It is underrated, cheap, and fills a niche that some people believe only this brand can...it is a classic and I love my forest green simplicity...hey it Genny... (252 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +35.2%

I love this beer. I remember having this when I was younger (underage) and hating it. For years I stayed away from even trying this. But a few weeks ago I bought a 6 pack of tallboys and I've been in love with it ever since. I can buy a 6 pack of tallboys for $3.99 and you just can't beat this for the price. It is a damn good beer after a long day at work or just pounding some with friends on the weekend. I've been converting some of my buddies at work to this beer and to a person they all agree it's better than they remember. If you want a good beer for a great price then this is a beer you should try. I've had it straight out of the can and have poured it into a pint glass either way you can't go wrong.

A- golden in color
S- smells like a lager without the wet veggy aroma
T- smooth with a touch of bitterness on the back end
M- clean a bit creamy with a refreshing feel
O- I love this beer. One of my favorites. Way better beer than the price you pay. (966 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +35.2%

I truly do not think this brew deserves all of the lack-luster reviews it gets. I defy anyone to find a better ale for $11.99/30 pack. Yep, that's right....this one is currently selling at Sam The Beer Man in Binghamton @ $12 for 30 cans. Unfortunately in these times, the budget often dictates my choice at Sam's. But having said that, sometimes I grab these even when I can afford more. Far superior to all of the other choices at this price, and the flavor and drinkability are well above average. With the 5.10 abv, these can surely get the job done, but are also perfect for that saturday afternoon bbq. All in all, a very nice everyday brew that never disappoints. Just ice 'em down and let 'em flow!! (707 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +34.8%

Let me start by saying I am an amateur, with that out of the way:
This economical beer has creaminess to it, and is very drinkable; very balanced between bitter hops & sweetness. An Ale with a Lager feel to it.

Worthy Award Winning NOTE: Genesee Cream Ale has won WORLD BEER CUP Gold medals in 1990 & 1991, Silver medals in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994 & 2005, and Bronze in 1995, 2002, & 2004 at the Great American Beer Festival.

Got this at a drug store, and to my surprise they had a price error, the whole 30 pack cost just $3.99+ thank you for your error it tasted better knowing I just got a Super deal ;) (608 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +33.2%

You know, I am pretty much a beer snob. I like the high end micros and complain about bud miller or coors whenever I get the chance. Yet there is just something splendid about Genesee Cream Ale.

Whether I am drinking one in the dead of winter or the heat of summer I always find it to be an easy drinking example of the style.

When I could not find it locally I even cloned a homebrew recipe for it so that I could make it whenever I wanted.

I love this beer (469 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +32.3%

I have a tradition. On Super Bowl Sunday I go to Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo to pick up some original Chicken Wings. While waiting for my order I enjoyed a nice Genny Cream because I thought it would make the experience most authentic. The Ale had a very pleasant bright yellow appearance. Its bouquet was subtle. It was very refreshing to drink served ice cold. It is certainly different from the more complex beers I've been samplind lately, yet I really enjoyed it for what it was. (512 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +32.3%

this beer is meant to drink from the can - my quintessential camping, fishing beer - so much better than other macro products- i've had it on tap, but i gotta say, i like it better straight out of the can, and pretty cold at that - by those standards, this is my favorite all-day beer in the spring and summer months - a great
value in a sweet beer! (349 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +31%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, the head settles to about an inch of off-white froth. The body is golden, with a few bubbles rising to the top, but not many.

Smell: Sour at first, a bit like sour cream. It is slightly metallic, with a faint trace of hops. Not great, but not bad.

Taste: Like toasty malts, with very slight hop bitterness. There's not a lot going on here, but nothing at all objectionable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy to drink. Mine seems a little flat, but it was a cold ride home and this beer may have frozen just a little bit.

Overall: This is a very simple beer--it is also an incredible bargain. I have had beers over triple the cost of "Genny Cream" that were nowhere near as good. I have yet to find a better bang for the buck--this brew makes BMC's comperable offerings look like highway robbery by comparison, as it is both of a superior quality and a much lower price.

A real winner here. Highly recommended. (945 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

In Western NY state, they just about give this stuff away, which has gained it a bad reputation. However, at only $3.99 a sixer, it is one of the best bargains out there. I'll take a Genny screamer over any of the big name macros any day.

The beer is a full-bodied, somewhat heavy, bold tasting ale. It has a medium-dark golden colored body, a thick, rich head, and a smooth feel with a touch of bite. Taste has the typical bite and slight bitterness of an ale, with the smooth texture of a cream stout. Yes, it is cheap, mass produced beer, and even if you didn't see the price tag, there are hints of this fact in the somewhat unpleasant aftertaste you get if you drink more than a couple of these. That said, it is however great for a cheap beer, and even very good compared to mid range mass market beers.

Not a beer to guzzle, or to get a buzz on...too heavy...but great to enjoy one or two with a nice stogie, or by itself if you enjoy a that smooth yet bitter texture. Basically, it's the poor man's Boddingtons...a creamy, bitey ale at a bargain price. (1,069 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +30%

A grossly underrated beer. Genny Cream Ale is a former World Beer Cup gold medalist for good reason.

A golden pour into a frosty pint glass, the taste is clean with a sweet finish. Good carbonation, good mouth feel, great drinkability. I'd recommend this beer to anyone on a cold winter evening or a hot summer afternoon. (322 characters)

This is a great beer for the price. 30 packs run anywhere from $13-17. It rivals Budweiser and many will say it beat AW's lineup.

Also, the low grades that I've read under Genny Cream might consider that this is a not a botique high-end beer. This is a blue-collar, good-old American cream ale that satisfies the masses without breaking the wallet.

Were not talking about $2 per bottle / can beers here retail.

Overall, a great 30-pack selection, one of the best for the pricepoint and quality. 5.10% abv is a nice medium also. (531 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +28.1%

Coming from rochester ny, and the genesee brewing of rochester is something that i grew up with. Now i am not a fan of most of genesee brews. But the cream ale is a creation for the gods.

Its a great mixture between an ale and a stout feel. Its this great hybrid. Its light yet thick, Its bitter yet sweet. The mixture of flavors in this beer makes it a great combination, and a great beer (390 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +27.7%

Genesee Cream Ale has a thick, white head, and a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, with some lacing left behind. The aroma is almost nonexistent, but the taste is bold, sweet, slightly hoppy, citrusy, and grainy. Mouthfeel is light to moderate, and Genesee Cream Ale finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry (like a lager). Overall, this is tastier and sweeter than a regular American-style lager beer, and I think it’s delicious.

RJT (440 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

There was always a sixer in the house growing up. Of course with my dad, there were lots of sixers of genny products in the house. I have always loved the smoothness of this ale. It goes down smooth as silk. There is nothing better served ice cold. Drink it straight from the bottle. There is no need for a glass here.

By the way, make sure you don't have any important meetings the next day. Farting is a side effect of this beer. (434 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

I poured this from a 16 ounce can into a pint glass. It was nice clear golden color with a thick white head that dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

It smells decent. Nothing special here.

The taste however is surprisingly good. Nothing really stands out, but I would call it well balanced with malt and hops.

The mouthfeel is good and it is very drinkable. I really like this beer. I bought it in a six pack of 16 ounce cans for $2.99. This is a great value. I will definitely by a few more of these sixers this summer. (535 characters)

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.