Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros

wendymerissa, Mar 18, 2013

athouve1, Dec 09, 2011

chris657, Jun 22, 2014

chrisdexter, Apr 28, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +54.5%

one of the best I have had from this brewery. Golden color with a medium head. Smell of corn and cream. Tastes very smooth. Mouthful is very smooth and creamy. Drinkabilty is wonderful. A 6.99 a six pack this beer is a really good steal. Would recommend this beer for you average joe

yuenglingfan101, Mar 21, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +52.8%

Color: pours and sits clear gold

Smell: very clean and crisp. very mild sweetness. little to no hops. some adjunct detected

Taste: crisp and clean like a lager but some obvious citrus notes. somewhat dry

Mouthfeel: light body. moderate carbonation

Notes: excellent beer to bridge the gap from lagers to ales. does just what the style is intended to do. really prepares you to experience the different flavors ale yeast offers.

Frosty80, Apr 06, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +49.5%

markallmon, Jun 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +49.5%

RegularSam, May 11, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +48.8%

Have been drinking this ale for years. Tasts refreshing, and makes a nice head in a glass. A great beer for the price.

Have been disappointed lately with the new can exterior graphic design. Makes it look "generic" or something purchased at a Dollar Store. Although the great taste of the ale beer, I would be embarassed to ofer it to a friend, it looks soooo... cheap.

Hal, Nov 23, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

As in a previous review I agree that it appeals to many every day beer drinkers. It has a very nice head with an exceptional color of amber. Goes down very smooth. I picked up a 30 pack @ Consumers Beer Depot in Milwaukee. Wish I would have purchased 3 or 4 @11.99.

Wilkster, Oct 27, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

this beer i have had in a can, bottle and draft, all have been great, this beer is not loved by many, but its hard to find and when i do i buy alot, love the stuff, awsome lawnmower beer!!!!, it must be cold our it imparts a somewhat sour taste, but overall good taste,

Boohausen, Jun 13, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

Drank this one straight from the 40oz bottle, purchased for about $2.00! Can't see the brew, so I'll rate the label as "good."

Smells slightly malty and hoppy. No offensive smells at all!

Tastes pretty darn good, I can see why this is a medal winner! Very smooth, good malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel, just the right amount of CO2. Not harsh at all. Very drinkable! One of the easiest 40's to down. I would like to try this again, especially if I can find it on tap. What a value!

7beerphil, Dec 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +47.2%

Genesee Cream Ale
Head: Thin white foam dosn't hang on verry long.
Body: Clear yellowish tint .
Taste: Smothe light creemy flavor slight bit of malt.
Aftertaste was mello and refreshning.

Good for this style, watch out for the "Genee scremers".

Kwak, Nov 20, 2002
4.43/5  rDev +47.2%

This is one of my perennial favorites going back to the early 70's. Nothing like a couple of "Jennies" on a hot summer day! Light in color,a very pleasant aroma, great taste. A more than one beer, and not bad even straight from the can! Well known in the New York Metro area.

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 21, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +41.2%

shinerod, Oct 29, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +40.5%

I love this beer. I remember having this when I was younger (underage) and hating it. For years I stayed away from even trying this. But a few weeks ago I bought a 6 pack of tallboys and I've been in love with it ever since. I can buy a 6 pack of tallboys for $3.99 and you just can't beat this for the price. It is a damn good beer after a long day at work or just pounding some with friends on the weekend. I've been converting some of my buddies at work to this beer and to a person they all agree it's better than they remember. If you want a good beer for a great price then this is a beer you should try. I've had it straight out of the can and have poured it into a pint glass either way you can't go wrong.

A- golden in color
S- smells like a lager without the wet veggy aroma
T- smooth with a touch of bitterness on the back end
M- clean a bit creamy with a refreshing feel
O- I love this beer. One of my favorites. Way better beer than the price you pay.

Geomac1310, Jun 21, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +40.2%

Let me start by saying I am an amateur, with that out of the way:
This economical beer has creaminess to it, and is very drinkable; very balanced between bitter hops & sweetness. An Ale with a Lager feel to it.

Worthy Award Winning NOTE: Genesee Cream Ale has won WORLD BEER CUP Gold medals in 1990 & 1991, Silver medals in 1987, 1988, 1993, 1994 & 2005, and Bronze in 1995, 2002, & 2004 at the Great American Beer Festival.

Got this at a drug store, and to my surprise they had a price error, the whole 30 pack cost just $3.99+ thank you for your error it tasted better knowing I just got a Super deal ;)

Natainos, May 31, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +39.5%

I truly do not think this brew deserves all of the lack-luster reviews it gets. I defy anyone to find a better ale for $11.99/30 pack. Yep, that's right....this one is currently selling at Sam The Beer Man in Binghamton @ $12 for 30 cans. Unfortunately in these times, the budget often dictates my choice at Sam's. But having said that, sometimes I grab these even when I can afford more. Far superior to all of the other choices at this price, and the flavor and drinkability are well above average. With the 5.10 abv, these can surely get the job done, but are also perfect for that saturday afternoon bbq. All in all, a very nice everyday brew that never disappoints. Just ice 'em down and let 'em flow!!

Rehtakul, Aug 20, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +38.9%

this beer is meant to drink from the can - my quintessential camping, fishing beer - so much better than other macro products- i've had it on tap, but i gotta say, i like it better straight out of the can, and pretty cold at that - by those standards, this is my favorite all-day beer in the spring and summer months - a great
value in a sweet beer!

JoeBloe, Jun 14, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +37.2%

You know, I am pretty much a beer snob. I like the high end micros and complain about bud miller or coors whenever I get the chance. Yet there is just something splendid about Genesee Cream Ale.

Whether I am drinking one in the dead of winter or the heat of summer I always find it to be an easy drinking example of the style.

When I could not find it locally I even cloned a homebrew recipe for it so that I could make it whenever I wanted.

I love this beer

Skotrat, Jul 13, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

I have a tradition. On Super Bowl Sunday I go to Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo to pick up some original Chicken Wings. While waiting for my order I enjoyed a nice Genny Cream because I thought it would make the experience most authentic. The Ale had a very pleasant bright yellow appearance. Its bouquet was subtle. It was very refreshing to drink served ice cold. It is certainly different from the more complex beers I've been samplind lately, yet I really enjoyed it for what it was.

equinox, Feb 06, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

A grossly underrated beer. Genny Cream Ale is a former World Beer Cup gold medalist for good reason.

A golden pour into a frosty pint glass, the taste is clean with a sweet finish. Good carbonation, good mouth feel, great drinkability. I'd recommend this beer to anyone on a cold winter evening or a hot summer afternoon.

ericmunley, Mar 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, the head settles to about an inch of off-white froth. The body is golden, with a few bubbles rising to the top, but not many.

Smell: Sour at first, a bit like sour cream. It is slightly metallic, with a faint trace of hops. Not great, but not bad.

Taste: Like toasty malts, with very slight hop bitterness. There's not a lot going on here, but nothing at all objectionable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy to drink. Mine seems a little flat, but it was a cold ride home and this beer may have frozen just a little bit.

Overall: This is a very simple beer--it is also an incredible bargain. I have had beers over triple the cost of "Genny Cream" that were nowhere near as good. I have yet to find a better bang for the buck--this brew makes BMC's comperable offerings look like highway robbery by comparison, as it is both of a superior quality and a much lower price.

A real winner here. Highly recommended.

RalphSMouse, Jan 23, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +34.2%

JonJSt, Aug 21, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Coming from rochester ny, and the genesee brewing of rochester is something that i grew up with. Now i am not a fan of most of genesee brews. But the cream ale is a creation for the gods.

Its a great mixture between an ale and a stout feel. Its this great hybrid. Its light yet thick, Its bitter yet sweet. The mixture of flavors in this beer makes it a great combination, and a great beer

doctchad, Dec 18, 2008
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.