Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

"Genny" Cream Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 515 | Hads: 1,260

After one of these, I got a splitting headache. However, I decided it might be a good way to restore my silverware, and lo and behold, it took off all the crap that had collected on my antique spoons. Basically, this is Drain-O. I am halfway through my second and it is the most godawful experience of my life. It's just a sad, sad beer.

1.16/5  rDev -62%

Pours a crystal clear yellow color, highly filtered, highly carbonated, fizz head dies out quickly leaving behind occasional lacing.

Smells like a typical macro lager, grain, corn, some sweetness in the minimal malt profile. Kind of dry on the palate, carbonation is sizzling, stinging.

Notes: blah blah blah....these adjunct tasting brews get really old. Why do I continue to buy them? as the blues brothers would say..."I'm on a mission from god"...all beers will be tasted...Amen.

1.22/5  rDev -60%

poured from bottle into clear glass goblet

appearnce is standard yello macro. lifeless. almost no head, no lacing at all. smell is also typicial of an american macro, plus an addition of something rotting on the tail end. taste starts off like an american adjuct macro, rice/corn.... but finished slightly skunky and stale tasting. is this a bad bottle? mouthfeel is hard to describe but terrible. watery and a strange low carbonation. drinkability.... not a drain pour but i was suffering threw all 12 ozs

1.24/5  rDev -59.3%

Not quite sure what this is supposed to be. Had in a bottle - perhaps it was too old. Nonetheless, it had an unbearable sour flavor with no real redeeming quality. Very light body - which was expected - but the flavor missed on all marks. It's too bad, as very few cream ale crafts are on the market.

1.33/5  rDev -56.4%

A good friend of mine is hosting a "bad beer contest" in the near future and this beer is on the shortlist to bring to the contest. I understand that to some people it's an important regional beer with a lot of sentimental value (which is why I don't give a lot of Milwaukee beers the reaming they deserve), but it is quite simply awful.

Appearance: The only part that isn't offensive. The color is slightly off-putting (piss "golden"), but it has excellent head retention, teasing people into thinking it's a substantive beer.

Smell: Not much to speak of. A very faint fruity aroma that probably comes from one of the Pacific Northwest hops.

Taste: Awful. What little flavor it has is sickly sweet and lingers on the tongue forever in the form of a foul aftertaste common to bad American beers. Probably nothing but lightly roasted malts and hardly any hop flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Disgusting. It's syrupy and lingers on the tongue forever. Something else is required to cleanse your palate if you want to get the disgusting aftertaste off your tongue.

Drinkability: I'm barely able to finish one. I can't think of anything it would go with. I can't imagine enjoying it during a ballgame. And I certainly can't picture myself enjoying it over the course of an evening at the bar.

1.55/5  rDev -49.2%

It's rare that don't finish a beer. Even beers I don't like I can finishe but this was not one of them. Maybe I had a bad can. It tasted metallic and very amateurish. This not a complex beer at all. I would rather drink a bud than take another sip of this. Not recommended at all.

1.79/5  rDev -41.3%

Hmmm...interesting beer. I don't mean that in a good way. Just well, I was expecting a bit more, and this wasn't it.

Tastes an awful lot like a typical MGD Macro style with a little bit more flavor. Eh...for the same price I can get a decent Micro...

1.83/5  rDev -40%

First off, this beer was not as bad as I expected. I went into this brew with very low expectations and was surprised by how quickly it was able to rise to unimpressive status. Appearance is golden with almost no head. Little to no lacing is apparent as you force down this incredibley below average brew. The finish leaves you with a hollow feeling, almost guilty that you subjected your body to this experience. If money is no object, and this type of beer is your thing, you would do well to spend the extra $2.00 and grab some Labatts.

1.86/5  rDev -39%

Presentation: can, no freshness date.

Appearance: clear, gold in color with very little head

Smell: Grain and light hop aroma.

Taste: A creamy feel on the tongue. Lighter bodied than I remember. Malt sweet but not overly. Crisp, bitter, a fizzy carbonation. Aftertaste is grainy.

Notes: Born and raised in Rochester area, this beer was a rite of passage in the early 60's. Had to try it again, didn't think it was as strong as it used to be After a night of this beer you were very aromatic and hung over! Not bad for what it is. Would still pound a couple on a hot day down at Hamlin Beach State Park. Not to be kept in your reefer.

1.88/5  rDev -38.4%

My homebrew buddy and I bought a case of the 16 oz returnables for the strict purpose of using them to bottle in. I don't know if any of you have seen a 16 oz returnable in a while, but you could probably beat a man to death with one to no ill effect of the bottle. So, they're perfect for bottling in.

We did try to drink them, honest! After two or three of them, the splitting headache comes, probably from all of the cheap ass adjuncts in this beer.

Head retention was non-existent, though it remained unpleasantly fizzy, like cheap champagne. The taste was reminiscent to biting into a crab apple and washing it down with some witch hazel. It had that all-too-familiar sour-crispness of cheap domestic. The cheap-adjunct alcohol comes through in droves in the finish.

Don't buy this beer unless you want some sturdy bottles for your homebrew. I haven't broke one yet!!

1.96/5  rDev -35.7%

Very clear light golden hue, w/ a thin head that manages to coat the glass. Sweet corn adjunct and cooked cabbage DMS aroma. Husky 6 - row notes as well. Definitely not appetizing aromawise. Light in body and sharply carbonated. The very low hop bitterness leaves the beer quite sweet. The residual corn sweetness is offputting. The finish is one dimensionally sweet and a bit astringent. Has this beer always been this poor? WAY too much flaked corn used as an adjunct.

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%

When I think of "cream" it is usually stout, so I had to try this. There is no cream to the taste. It has a hoppy taste, but overall I rank it in the "Pabst" class of beers. I will not be drinking this again any time soon.

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%

Well I gotta admit, the term Cream Ale has sort of thrown me for a while and left me kinda debating whether or not I really wanted to go there or not. I dont particularly know why it just did not seem that enticing to me. So I finally figured, I am a grown man and need to put my unfounded fears aside and give it the old college try. So I went and picked up a Genesee Cream Ale. I figured what the hell, and my dad said he swears by this beer so we shall see. The bottle was fairly plain, with an old fashioned type label, looked like something my dad may have drank 20 years ago. So lets see what we have here.

Poured the palest golden yellow I have ever seen. I mean, this made a Bud Light look like an amber boch! Big white fizzyhead quickly faded to absoloutly nothing, leaving behind no lace and only the subtlest of films across the top. Tons of carbonation streaming, almost non stop from the bottom of the glass. Almost looked like champagne or something, or a Mountain Dew in appearence would be the best way to describe it. Fairly unimpressed with the looks of this one so far, but I have learned that looks can be decieving, especially in the beer world, so I shall continue on...

The smell was well, not really there would be the best way to describe it. It was the faintest of grain smells, almost maybea corn quality to it. So very light though that it was barely noticeable. Perhaps it was a puffed rice smell, as it vaguely reminded me of rice crispies in what I could detect in the aroma. Unimpressed again here, and I am really not getting the best impression here.

So I dove in and went for a taste. First impression was well soda water. This is a fizzy mess. Tasted like you typical light lager, but with somewhat sour grape or a light corn or something else cant really place it in there. Not really very good. Very light in texture and feel. Hugely carbonated and almost non existent on the palate. This really reminded me of some kinda of soda, or what I would think a non alcoholic beer would taste like(haven't gone there yet). I am not really sure what else I can say as far as flavor, there is just not that much there.

Overall, blah. This was one of the more forgettable beers I have ever had, and I have had some that are just downright wrong. I would actually rather have a macro than this, there just was really nothing redeeming at all here for me. Maybe it is just this one ale, and not the style, but this was about as bland as bland can beer. I will easily pass on this if it ever crosses my path again.

2.06/5  rDev -32.5%

Another beer headed to the “Dead Beer File”, so one last review before its ultimate demise, at least for me. The pour a bright gold color, the head average and bright white, as it decays, leaves behind a thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is malt, sweet, and fresh, sweet malt start, the top quite thin, the finish as weak as water, mild carbonation, the hops scarce, aftertaste dry. Personally a total loss, it does beat dying of thirst, but just barely.

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

Although not a great beer, this brew has an undeserved reputation. A somewhat perceptible hop flavor and a surprising sweetness separate this beer from many others in its class. One of the few "non-craft" beers that I still stomach.

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a pale yellow color and hold a weak light beige head. The nose and taste remind more of a cheap lager than a cream ale. There are old grassy grains anb mildly bitter hops. The taste has bit of sweet creamy malt, but not much. The medium body is quite smooth and definately helps the drinkability.

2.13/5  rDev -30.2%

A - Looks like an American macro but with a better head. Yellow/gold and clear. Good looking bright white head.

S - Smells like an American macro (I'm seeing a pattern). Corn, cereal, adjuncts, something heavy about it though that's keeping my hopes high.

T - Reminds me instantly of Bud light mixed with Amaretto (I was coaxed into doing Flaming dr. peppers one night). Tastes of adjuncts. A bit of a liquory taste. Not really good in my opinion. My first cream ale though so I suppose I don't know what I'm looking for here.

M - A little thick, an alright mouthfeel I suppose. Nothing spectacular.

D - I don't like it. Not too sure I'll even drink this whole sixer.

2.13/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a 24oz. can into a lager glass. Poured like absolute shit due to it being so carbonated and from a huge can. Seriously had to stop and continue the pour multiple times because it kept wanting to run down the side of the can and onto my jeans. Anyway, Pours a very adjunct like medium yellow with a two finger bubbly white head, Leaving half decent lacing. The smell was of cooked vegetables, rice, and some corn adjunct. Nothing more, Nothing less. Tasted like a light lager and almost completely follows the nose. This beer MUST have been wrongly marketed as a cream ale, Because it has no characteristics of a a cream ale whatsoever. It seriously tastes like a light lager without the artificial metallic aftertaste. Also, The beer starts to taste very heavily of rubbing alcohol as you get further into the glass. The mouthfeel brings nothing additional to the table in terms of anything. Overall, The beer isn't offensive, Definitely NOT a cream ale. However, Due to it's easy drink-ability , I'll give it a slightly higher score in this category. Would I buy it again? No.

2.15/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from a 12oz can to a pint glass. Straw yellow in color . Since i'm not that seasoned in smell of beer, to my untrained nose it smells like any other macro brew. But unlike other macro beers i have in the past(Miller, Coors, Old milwaukee, Keystone , and busch). taste wise it smooth , with a slight sweet after taste.

2.15/5  rDev -29.5%

I had a friend from New Jersey who was always raving about Genny Cream. We finally found a bar that served it and sat down to enjoy some. To say I was disappointed after all the hype would be an understatement. This beer doesn't have anything going for it. Hops are barely there. It has an unpleasant sweet taste and an even more unpleasant aftertaste.

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

Well, I would say, "great-quaffing lawnmower beer," but, in all honesty, it's a little harsh for quenching the thist (perhaps it tastes just right on Rochester lawns).

The can looks to belong in the beeraphernalia hall of fame--almost a Cooperstown sort of feel. I acquired a 30-pack, totally on a lark, from my local import/micro shop. I had to buy it, since I asked in the first place.

Back to the profile. Harsh: hot, sour ferment; thin, thin body; a mysterious reckoning in the a.b.v. department. What's going on here? "Say, Buddy! Have you ever tried this micro-brew, fresh from the hills of Rochester?"

To be fair, there is a chance that the case I bought sat in the store fridge for a year or more. I'll have to hunt it out, next time I am upstate.

Shotgun, anyone?

2.26/5  rDev -25.9%

$1.09 for a 24 oz can. That's cheaper than a can of pop. It contains no caffeine, no high fructose corn syrup. So safe for the kids maybe?

$1.09 for a 24 oz can. That's pretty much my reason for buying this. Cream ale sounds nice, too. Nondescript green can that looks like a mineral water or energy drink. Might even be able to skip the paper bag if you wanted to drink at the public library.

Pours a big darker than your typical pounder beers. A honey brown / yellow. Goldenrod on a bad day. The head is there for a fleeting moment. The smell is quite "beery." It has no odor that stands out to me. In all honesty, it reminds me of standing in a filthy kitchen pouring out solo cup after cup of a Busch beer pony keg. That was how I spent a lot of Fridays in college. Now I buy a single can and write a beer review. Good times back then. Even if the beer wasn't very good.

Ok, so back to the beer. It has a bit more flavor than the average pale lager. There's some toasty / carmel flavor in there. A little hops bite. But this weird metallic taste sticks to my lips. Goes down plenty smooth.

As the beer warms, the flavors become increasingly unpleasant and the mouthfeel goes from decent to wholly undesirable.

It's kind of unpleasant to drink, smells a little off, tastes unusual and frankly uncomfortable with the metal flavors. BUT, it's a 55 cents per 12 oz and 5.1% abv.

It's not a craft beer, not a session beer. This is a pounder beer. This is a paper sack on the bus beer. This is a sneak it into the baseball game in a sock beer. This is a shooting clay piegons in my back yard out in the country beer.

And with that criteria, I give it a 85/100 in the pounder beer category.

2.26/5  rDev -25.9%

Genny Screamers. I prepared my stomach for this classic beer that I remember my brother drinking when he was 18. (Last year for 18 to be legal in Ohio) I had this beer and drank it from cans back when my biker friend drank this almost exclusively. I also remember having no money in Toledo and taking the challenege to drink a completely warm can , got through 2 swigs and was sick. That was the last time I had GCA until now. Feeling lucky, bought a 40...

It looks okay for a cheap beer with a nice head though it left quick. Even though this was from a bottle, it smelled metallic. First taste, I felt like I was drinking the gruel in a generic can of creamed corn. The alcohol and corn tastes are seperate, and I could taste each one distinctly. It seemed like this beer needed to brew longer. It also stung a bit on the tounge. At the end of the glass, there was an unwelcome bitterness. Unlike other cheap beers that dull the senses after a few, I ran out of steam with about 12 OZ left and could not finish it.

Yeah, drinkablilty is average if you drink it ice cold and you wanna quick drunk, but why buy this stuff? If you can find Genny Red Lager, it's the same price and a far better tasting beer.

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

Trying to recapture The Olde College Days, I recently picked up a 6-pack of Genny Cream. It's been over a quarter of a century since those days of walking across campus and seeing a Genesee Brewery truck roll up, offering Genny Cream at $0.25/cup (never glass - always plastic cup).

To heck with nostalgia - the grim reality of why it's been a quarter of a century between purchases struck hard. It is a great 25cent beer for somebody on a very tight budget (PBR seems to fill that bill with those darn whippersnappers today), but this stuff just can't stand on its own.

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

Golden color with a 1 1/2 finger head with decent retention and lacing. Smells like sweet grain with floral hops. Both the grains and the hops have a very light aroma.

The taste has sweet grain and floral hops. Both are on the light side. Has some balance which is nice, but not much flavor which is too bad. Unfortunately, this is bland.

Light to medium bodied with average carbonation, Finishes dry, with no real aftertaste. This is not a beer I care to try again. Bland.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.