Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

rAvg: 3
pDev: 20%
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros

3.33/5  rDev +11%

Part of the Summer Brews pack from Cost Plus World Market.

Pours a clear light yellow with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. Nice distinct rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grains and unbaked bread dough. Taste is of sweet grains and corn flakes. This beer has a higher level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is very easy to drink. I am glad I got to try this one as I have never seen this anywhere else in California.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are skunked aromas of adjunct malts on the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of adjunct malts.
M: It feels light-bodied and creamy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The beer coats your mouth a little bit.
O: The mouthfeel and drinkability are the strongest points of this beer. The taste isn’t anything special but then again isn’t overly bad. I could drink this beer all day long.

2.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Enjoyed as part of a tasting. Perhaps the godfather of Cream Ales, the beer has some nice pleasantries about it, but also some similarities to macro-swill. Let's explore...

The beer begins with a moderatly firm pilsner malt aroma with some mild fruity esters and light hints of raw cereal grains, bready, yeasty notes; but no real hop character.

Flavors fare similarly with the nice blend of pilsner malts and grain flavor. Though I'd prefer more of a malty taste, the pleasant fruity (almost like Pebbles children's cereal) give a little something extra that makes the next sip a welcome one. Still, no hop character to the taste.

Textures carry on the creamy maltiness, but also an over-sparged grain-like texture that should be avoided. Thinning late, the beer tempers itself well for easy drinking and palatablility.

Ultimately, I'm not going out of the way for the beer, but if it is offered I'll not pass it up.

2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Rich amber with the merest hint of orange. A sparse cloud of superfine particulates settles in a downward direction as intermittent superfine bubbles ascend. The cap is the very definition of off-white. Although it lacks solidity and perseverance, isn't half bad. A few thick ropes of melty lace are deposited in its wake.

The nose isn't offensive unless one is offended by a lack of anything good. You know the drill... lightly sweet grain buoyed by lightly musky, floral hops. While there's nothing here that makes me excited about taking a drink, there's nothing that fills me with trepidation either. How many ways can I say slightly below average?

The flavor is about what I expected. Think macro lager, but sweeter and with a bigger body. Adding more malt to their standard lager recipe is, I'm guessing, how the brewers ended up with this flavor profile. Ale yeast? Lager yeast? I'm not here to debate style specifics, just to pass on my (occasionally ill-informed) observations.

For whatever reason, I don't appreciate much in the way of hops on the palate, allowing the sweetish grain to dominate. I guess corn would be another way to acheive this result and would save a few bucks in the bargain. The mouthfeel is cream ale medium and is curiously undercarbonated. More bubbles would be nice since the flavor is unable to muster much liveliness on its own.

I'll spare the blast from the past reminiscences, but Genny Cream in 7 ounce bottles was a staple from my younger days. I had forgotten what it tastes like. For all I know, though, the flavor has been monkeyed around with several times over the years. In any case, this is an inexpensive, 'get what you pay for' kind of beer that is drinkable in a pinch. No one buys this stuff expecting Rochefort 10.

2.05/5  rDev -31.7%

Well I gotta admit, the term Cream Ale has sort of thrown me for a while and left me kinda debating whether or not I really wanted to go there or not. I dont particularly know why it just did not seem that enticing to me. So I finally figured, I am a grown man and need to put my unfounded fears aside and give it the old college try. So I went and picked up a Genesee Cream Ale. I figured what the hell, and my dad said he swears by this beer so we shall see. The bottle was fairly plain, with an old fashioned type label, looked like something my dad may have drank 20 years ago. So lets see what we have here.

Poured the palest golden yellow I have ever seen. I mean, this made a Bud Light look like an amber boch! Big white fizzyhead quickly faded to absoloutly nothing, leaving behind no lace and only the subtlest of films across the top. Tons of carbonation streaming, almost non stop from the bottom of the glass. Almost looked like champagne or something, or a Mountain Dew in appearence would be the best way to describe it. Fairly unimpressed with the looks of this one so far, but I have learned that looks can be decieving, especially in the beer world, so I shall continue on...

The smell was well, not really there would be the best way to describe it. It was the faintest of grain smells, almost maybea corn quality to it. So very light though that it was barely noticeable. Perhaps it was a puffed rice smell, as it vaguely reminded me of rice crispies in what I could detect in the aroma. Unimpressed again here, and I am really not getting the best impression here.

So I dove in and went for a taste. First impression was well soda water. This is a fizzy mess. Tasted like you typical light lager, but with somewhat sour grape or a light corn or something else cant really place it in there. Not really very good. Very light in texture and feel. Hugely carbonated and almost non existent on the palate. This really reminded me of some kinda of soda, or what I would think a non alcoholic beer would taste like(haven't gone there yet). I am not really sure what else I can say as far as flavor, there is just not that much there.

Overall, blah. This was one of the more forgettable beers I have ever had, and I have had some that are just downright wrong. I would actually rather have a macro than this, there just was really nothing redeeming at all here for me. Maybe it is just this one ale, and not the style, but this was about as bland as bland can beer. I will easily pass on this if it ever crosses my path again.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my grandfather's favorite beer. He's been drinking this since I don't know when. anyway the beer pours out as a clear pale yellow color with some head that fades instantly. The smell is a little sweet mostly malts on the nose. The taste has a decent creaminess to it but nothing too over the top here. The mouthfeel has a good amount of carbonation to keep this one alive. The beer for me is respectable because of my grandfather. He drinks it so I drink it with him too it's a bonding moment with Genny.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Mild, sweetish, faintly grainy malts with some soft floral notes.

Taste: Meager maltiness with a middling sweetness. Nearly imperceptible hint of vague fruitiness. Thinly floral hops follow, but you get no more than the smallest hint of bitterness. This leaves the imbiber with a sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Very slight creaminess befitting the name and style.

Drinkability: Better than most of its ilk, in that, while it lacked anything to stand up and cheer about, it also lacked any inherent ickiness or ghastly off-flavors.

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Had to try this "cult" east coast lawnmower beer after finding a cheap single from Friar Tuck for $1 and change.

Pale golden yellow pour, it reflects alot of light in the glass. Tiny streams of carbonation, some bubbles cling to the walls.

Dull vegetal smell, some sweet corn and a faint honeyish grain.

White corn, well water, and feeble, papery pale malt. At least it has some flavor to it, albeit subtle. A tad too sweet on the end, yet it does remind me of corn-on-the-cob. Also slightly gaseous, despite the vaguely creamy mouthfeel suggesting low carbonation. Similar to the sweetness in Czech Pilsners.

Maybe a decent economical choice in the spring or summer, but not a repeat brew for me.

2.86/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i bought a sixer of this last night for $4.99. good to know budget beer that isn't awful still exists. while far from a delicious craft cream ale, this is still a pretty palatable brew by my standards, and has a lot more flavor and texture than the standard bmc swill. it pours perfectly clear, light golden in color, with some rapidly moving bubbles and a frothy white head that starts pretty tall, but fades out rather quickly to just a thin film. the nose is a touch metallic, but it has some decent pale grains and a soft sweetness that meshes well. the first half of the flavor experience is right on, delicate cereal grains mix with a true to its name creaminess that really works, but the second half is riddled by metallic overtones and a non hop bitter finish that lasts way too long on my tongue. a decent enough session beer if you can stomach a bunch of these, its light with a nice expansive feel and good carbonation, without being like a yellow soda. three quarters of a step above the miller light coors light bud lights of the world.

3.23/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Had to grab a second bottle o' this after the one I was gonna try was nicked by my girlfriend after she demeaned by homebrewed ESB. The nerve of some people, right? Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a finger of stark white foam. The nose comprises wheat, corn, and a touch of sweet flowers. The taste bases itself on this successful novel, but the director went too damn avant-garde with it, resulting in a campy, Hackers-like hard water flavor dousing the whole production and a sad excuse for an opening pull. Those poor investors...and to to think they'd just gotten over the calamity of Insidious... The body is a light with pretensions of heft, with a very light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty okay cream ale, but that hard water flavor ruins things a bit too much for my liking. Still, it somehow retains a good amount of its drinkability, so, though I don't think I'll be grabbing a case o' this any time soon, I won't spit on someone if they offer it to me later on.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

A - Poured out a pale orange/gold color with a small, short-lived head. No lace.

S - It smelled of grains.

T - It tasted of grain and malt. A very faint hop presence.

M - It was soft and creamy. A light-bodied beer.

D - This was pretty good. It was smooth like a lager but tasted more like an ale.

3.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Genesee Cream Ale
Rich golden in color beneath a fizzy white head. The head retention and lacing are no better than any standard American lager. The aroma offers malt and fruit (apple) with a light touch of hops in the background. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy. The flavor offers a bit of fruitiness and it's well balanced by a malt and hop base that's just slightly sweet. A bit one dimensional, but it offers far more character than the basic "Genesee Beer". It finishes slightly sticky on the back of the tongue without any real dryness, but it's not cloying either. The fruitiness lingers nicely as the malty sweetness fades gently away. Lightly refreshing. Not challenging. More interesting than a lot of basic American lagers because of the yeasty fruit component.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

2.73/5  rDev -9%

Pours a plae fizzy golden yellow with a healthy sized bright white head, leaving trickled lacing not bad just average in appearance. Aroma contains sweet aroma from the combonation of malt and adjuncts that aren't to off pretty unoffensive smell going on. Some lemon grass tones are also there maybe a touch of hops, but nothing stands out here. Taste contains a rolling sweet flavor not bad just light in flavor mild hop bitterness just a touch, better than most macros that's all I can say about it no off flavors finishes clean. Mouthfeel is thin light in body no impressive features within the mouthfeel. Drinkability is not bad just can't see myself ever craving for this beer, wouldn't pass one just not worth seeking out.

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a dense white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste is pretty decently balanced for the style with flavors of adjuncts and grain. The hops presence is also stronger than most other Cream ales. The malt character is thin but about where it should be. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little bit tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, good representation of style, it might not be the greatest beer overall, but in being a poundable fizzy-yellow-beer it fits its role quite well.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.