1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 948 | Reviews: 479 | Show All Ratings:
UCLABrewN84

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Part of the Summer Brews pack from Cost Plus World Market.

Pours a clear light yellow with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. Nice distinct rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grains and unbaked bread dough. Taste is of sweet grains and corn flakes. This beer has a higher level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is very easy to drink. I am glad I got to try this one as I have never seen this anywhere else in California.

07-30-2011 03:49:00 | More by UCLABrewN84
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.68/5  rDev -11%

Rich amber with the merest hint of orange. A sparse cloud of superfine particulates settles in a downward direction as intermittent superfine bubbles ascend. The cap is the very definition of off-white. Although it lacks solidity and perseverance, isn't half bad. A few thick ropes of melty lace are deposited in its wake.

The nose isn't offensive unless one is offended by a lack of anything good. You know the drill... lightly sweet grain buoyed by lightly musky, floral hops. While there's nothing here that makes me excited about taking a drink, there's nothing that fills me with trepidation either. How many ways can I say slightly below average?

The flavor is about what I expected. Think macro lager, but sweeter and with a bigger body. Adding more malt to their standard lager recipe is, I'm guessing, how the brewers ended up with this flavor profile. Ale yeast? Lager yeast? I'm not here to debate style specifics, just to pass on my (occasionally ill-informed) observations.

For whatever reason, I don't appreciate much in the way of hops on the palate, allowing the sweetish grain to dominate. I guess corn would be another way to acheive this result and would save a few bucks in the bargain. The mouthfeel is cream ale medium and is curiously undercarbonated. More bubbles would be nice since the flavor is unable to muster much liveliness on its own.

I'll spare the blast from the past reminiscences, but Genny Cream in 7 ounce bottles was a staple from my younger days. I had forgotten what it tastes like. For all I know, though, the flavor has been monkeyed around with several times over the years. In any case, this is an inexpensive, 'get what you pay for' kind of beer that is drinkable in a pinch. No one buys this stuff expecting Rochefort 10.

10-21-2005 13:18:24 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

Well I gotta admit, the term Cream Ale has sort of thrown me for a while and left me kinda debating whether or not I really wanted to go there or not. I dont particularly know why it just did not seem that enticing to me. So I finally figured, I am a grown man and need to put my unfounded fears aside and give it the old college try. So I went and picked up a Genesee Cream Ale. I figured what the hell, and my dad said he swears by this beer so we shall see. The bottle was fairly plain, with an old fashioned type label, looked like something my dad may have drank 20 years ago. So lets see what we have here.

Poured the palest golden yellow I have ever seen. I mean, this made a Bud Light look like an amber boch! Big white fizzyhead quickly faded to absoloutly nothing, leaving behind no lace and only the subtlest of films across the top. Tons of carbonation streaming, almost non stop from the bottom of the glass. Almost looked like champagne or something, or a Mountain Dew in appearence would be the best way to describe it. Fairly unimpressed with the looks of this one so far, but I have learned that looks can be decieving, especially in the beer world, so I shall continue on...

The smell was well, not really there would be the best way to describe it. It was the faintest of grain smells, almost maybea corn quality to it. So very light though that it was barely noticeable. Perhaps it was a puffed rice smell, as it vaguely reminded me of rice crispies in what I could detect in the aroma. Unimpressed again here, and I am really not getting the best impression here.

So I dove in and went for a taste. First impression was well soda water. This is a fizzy mess. Tasted like you typical light lager, but with somewhat sour grape or a light corn or something else cant really place it in there. Not really very good. Very light in texture and feel. Hugely carbonated and almost non existent on the palate. This really reminded me of some kinda of soda, or what I would think a non alcoholic beer would taste like(haven't gone there yet). I am not really sure what else I can say as far as flavor, there is just not that much there.

Overall, blah. This was one of the more forgettable beers I have ever had, and I have had some that are just downright wrong. I would actually rather have a macro than this, there just was really nothing redeeming at all here for me. Maybe it is just this one ale, and not the style, but this was about as bland as bland can beer. I will easily pass on this if it ever crosses my path again.

07-09-2007 00:01:53 | More by mikesgroove
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

Enjoyed as part of a tasting. Perhaps the godfather of Cream Ales, the beer has some nice pleasantries about it, but also some similarities to macro-swill. Let's explore...

The beer begins with a moderatly firm pilsner malt aroma with some mild fruity esters and light hints of raw cereal grains, bready, yeasty notes; but no real hop character.

Flavors fare similarly with the nice blend of pilsner malts and grain flavor. Though I'd prefer more of a malty taste, the pleasant fruity (almost like Pebbles children's cereal) give a little something extra that makes the next sip a welcome one. Still, no hop character to the taste.

Textures carry on the creamy maltiness, but also an over-sparged grain-like texture that should be avoided. Thinning late, the beer tempers itself well for easy drinking and palatablility.

Ultimately, I'm not going out of the way for the beer, but if it is offered I'll not pass it up.

02-17-2009 02:29:25 | More by BEERchitect
metter98

2.95/5  rDev -2%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are skunked aromas of adjunct malts on the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of adjunct malts.
M: It feels light-bodied and creamy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The beer coats your mouth a little bit.
O: The mouthfeel and drinkability are the strongest points of this beer. The taste isn’t anything special but then again isn’t overly bad. I could drink this beer all day long.

01-29-2012 22:22:18 | More by metter98
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Mild, sweetish, faintly grainy malts with some soft floral notes.

Taste: Meager maltiness with a middling sweetness. Nearly imperceptible hint of vague fruitiness. Thinly floral hops follow, but you get no more than the smallest hint of bitterness. This leaves the imbiber with a sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Very slight creaminess befitting the name and style.

Drinkability: Better than most of its ilk, in that, while it lacked anything to stand up and cheer about, it also lacked any inherent ickiness or ghastly off-flavors.

03-20-2009 17:38:35 | More by ChainGangGuy
TMoney2591

3.23/5  rDev +7.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Had to grab a second bottle o' this after the one I was gonna try was nicked by my girlfriend after she demeaned by homebrewed ESB. The nerve of some people, right? Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a finger of stark white foam. The nose comprises wheat, corn, and a touch of sweet flowers. The taste bases itself on this successful novel, but the director went too damn avant-garde with it, resulting in a campy, Hackers-like hard water flavor dousing the whole production and a sad excuse for an opening pull. Those poor investors...and to to think they'd just gotten over the calamity of Insidious... The body is a light with pretensions of heft, with a very light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty okay cream ale, but that hard water flavor ruins things a bit too much for my liking. Still, it somehow retains a good amount of its drinkability, so, though I don't think I'll be grabbing a case o' this any time soon, I won't spit on someone if they offer it to me later on.

04-26-2011 03:15:09 | More by TMoney2591
NeroFiddled

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Genesee Cream Ale
Rich golden in color beneath a fizzy white head. The head retention and lacing are no better than any standard American lager. The aroma offers malt and fruit (apple) with a light touch of hops in the background. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy. The flavor offers a bit of fruitiness and it's well balanced by a malt and hop base that's just slightly sweet. A bit one dimensional, but it offers far more character than the basic "Genesee Beer". It finishes slightly sticky on the back of the tongue without any real dryness, but it's not cloying either. The fruitiness lingers nicely as the malty sweetness fades gently away. Lightly refreshing. Not challenging. More interesting than a lot of basic American lagers because of the yeasty fruit component.

08-03-2002 06:06:57 | More by NeroFiddled
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a dense white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste is pretty decently balanced for the style with flavors of adjuncts and grain. The hops presence is also stronger than most other Cream ales. The malt character is thin but about where it should be. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little bit tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, good representation of style, it might not be the greatest beer overall, but in being a poundable fizzy-yellow-beer it fits its role quite well.

02-14-2009 01:48:45 | More by TheManiacalOne
emerge077

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Had to try this "cult" east coast lawnmower beer after finding a cheap single from Friar Tuck for $1 and change.

Pale golden yellow pour, it reflects alot of light in the glass. Tiny streams of carbonation, some bubbles cling to the walls.

Dull vegetal smell, some sweet corn and a faint honeyish grain.

White corn, well water, and feeble, papery pale malt. At least it has some flavor to it, albeit subtle. A tad too sweet on the end, yet it does remind me of corn-on-the-cob. Also slightly gaseous, despite the vaguely creamy mouthfeel suggesting low carbonation. Similar to the sweetness in Czech Pilsners.

Maybe a decent economical choice in the spring or summer, but not a repeat brew for me.

01-03-2008 00:19:55 | More by emerge077
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.73/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of eggshell white head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Honey & a bit of perfumy hops

T: Honey & dryness up front. Some lemony hops & corny sweetness as this warms. Finishes dry with lemony hops & more honey sweetness

MF: Light bodied, soft, & fairly smooth with vigirous carbonation.

Drinks pretty easy, I could do about 2-3 of these before moving on. Brings aback a few memories

11-18-2007 22:22:43 | More by russpowell
WesWes

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%

The beer pours a pale yellow color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt scent that is a bit musty and dry, yet slightly sweet. The taste is average as well. It has a grainy pale malt flavor that is smooth and musty with a bit of sweetness in the finish. It has a dry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a pretty good beer. It isn't real flashy, but it goes down easy and is quite enjoyable.

07-05-2005 01:50:36 | More by WesWes
drabmuh

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev +8%

At the time of this review, this is the #38 Top cream ale on the beeradvocate best of styles list. Left in my fridge by my in laws. Why wouldn't I? Served in a DFH snifter. Beer is yellow and clear with a nice white head of small bubbles and moderate carbonation. No real lacing.

Aroma is lagery. Some yeast some sweetness some malt. Nothing too complicated.

Beer is medium in body and drinkable. Flavor is fine. Again leadiff sweetness a dry finish. I drank the whole thing but I doubt i would bother having any more than that. It reminded me too much of a cheap lager and not like a thoughtful beer.

08-15-2011 06:38:48 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. Thea roma is grain with a little bit of lemon mixed in. As the beer gets a little warmer I start to get some bubblegum notes, similar to what you get in some German wheat beers. The flavor doesn't have any of the bubblegum in it, but it goes have a lot of wheat, grain and a little bit of cream. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

07-28-2011 03:06:49 | More by Mora2000
zeff80

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Poured out a pale orange/gold color with a small, short-lived head. No lace.

S - It smelled of grains.

T - It tasted of grain and malt. A very faint hop presence.

M - It was soft and creamy. A light-bodied beer.

D - This was pretty good. It was smooth like a lager but tasted more like an ale.

04-03-2007 03:04:40 | More by zeff80
jlindros

3.28/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge ass Tall boy can. Light fizzy head fades fairly quickly at first then slows to a light head covering, just a bit of lacing, crystal clear piss straw color.

Nose hints of a faint cream ale, light wet hay, light pilsner malt and creamy, hint of adjunct malt. Fairly light overall otherwise not bad.

Taste starts with more straw and grainy malts, light creamy and fairly refreshing actually, light wet hay, hint of adjunct corn and sweet malt extract but barely. A touch of grassy hops. Finish is slightly drier but a bit sticky creamy, light grassy hop bitterness, hint of corn adjunct flavor with just a bit skunk like tinny flavor.

Mouth is lighter bodied,decent carb.

Overall not bad. Much less terrible than i expected. Just a touch of corn and dried malt extract flavor, a very light tinny skunk flavor as i think the can helps, and overall decent malt and hop flavors. Surprised as hell, and for $1 for a 24oz can you cant beat that.

08-21-2012 11:35:32 | More by jlindros
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a brilliantly clear gold color. It is topped by a frothy thick off white head that sticks around a bit longer than I would expect. The aroma is pretty non-existent, perhaps a hint of sweet grain character, smells a bit like honeysuckle perhaps. The taste is sweet up front with a hint of bitterness in the finish. Mainly this is a simple light brew that cleanses my palate with it's simplistic sweet grain flavors. Definitely not my bag, though it is a touch more fruity than a stander American lager, and it really does remind me of honey for some reason.

03-27-2005 03:23:26 | More by Gueuzedude
Knapp85

3.4/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my grandfather's favorite beer. He's been drinking this since I don't know when. anyway the beer pours out as a clear pale yellow color with some head that fades instantly. The smell is a little sweet mostly malts on the nose. The taste has a decent creaminess to it but nothing too over the top here. The mouthfeel has a good amount of carbonation to keep this one alive. The beer for me is respectable because of my grandfather. He drinks it so I drink it with him too it's a bonding moment with Genny.

05-30-2011 20:32:58 | More by Knapp85
jwc215

Wisconsin

Pours straw yellow with a white head that, at first, is quite sizeable, but soon fizzles away to a thin cover then disappears.

The smell is of sweet grain and adjuncts. Typical, average macro-lager like smell. Not really offensive though.

The taste is of sweet grain and adjuncts. Some watered-down hops.

Pretty watery, but not overly so. Some surprising creaminess to it.

Well, it's a cheap "lawn-mower" beer, and rated as such. Good enough to bring to a place that allows can only and to beat the heat with. And, better than most BMC's. Still, not something I would look forward to.

05-26-2007 16:05:37 | More by jwc215
WVbeergeek

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a plae fizzy golden yellow with a healthy sized bright white head, leaving trickled lacing not bad just average in appearance. Aroma contains sweet aroma from the combonation of malt and adjuncts that aren't to off pretty unoffensive smell going on. Some lemon grass tones are also there maybe a touch of hops, but nothing stands out here. Taste contains a rolling sweet flavor not bad just light in flavor mild hop bitterness just a touch, better than most macros that's all I can say about it no off flavors finishes clean. Mouthfeel is thin light in body no impressive features within the mouthfeel. Drinkability is not bad just can't see myself ever craving for this beer, wouldn't pass one just not worth seeking out.

08-21-2003 15:50:41 | More by WVbeergeek
Halcyondays

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Gold lagerish color, with white head, very good retention and some lacing, very nice.

S: Malty, bready smell, almost smells like a French baguette.

T: A little light, but a good solid maltiness, I'm having a hard time finding any trace of a hop.

M: Quite good, smooth, not too carbonated, goes down easy.

D: I was quite surprised, I wasn't expecting much, and I got a pretty decent beer. Probably not worth the $7.99 I paid for the sixer, but a good selection. A pretty nice beer, definitely a step above your average macro. To add after having a few, I'm still enjoying them, and they don't taste like shit when warm, I'm liking this.

07-09-2007 23:10:05 | More by Halcyondays
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.86/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i bought a sixer of this last night for $4.99. good to know budget beer that isn't awful still exists. while far from a delicious craft cream ale, this is still a pretty palatable brew by my standards, and has a lot more flavor and texture than the standard bmc swill. it pours perfectly clear, light golden in color, with some rapidly moving bubbles and a frothy white head that starts pretty tall, but fades out rather quickly to just a thin film. the nose is a touch metallic, but it has some decent pale grains and a soft sweetness that meshes well. the first half of the flavor experience is right on, delicate cereal grains mix with a true to its name creaminess that really works, but the second half is riddled by metallic overtones and a non hop bitter finish that lasts way too long on my tongue. a decent enough session beer if you can stomach a bunch of these, its light with a nice expansive feel and good carbonation, without being like a yellow soda. three quarters of a step above the miller light coors light bud lights of the world.

08-11-2013 12:57:52 | More by StonedTrippin
tempest

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

On-tap at Clark's Ale House

Straw yellow beer with white head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet adjuncts, I'd guess corn on this one. Taste isn't so bad for such a cheap beer. Sweet malts and maybe a touch of caramel. Not very complex, but nice in a cheap way. Smooth mouthfeel, a nice drinking beer if you're feeling poor and dont mind the lack of flavor.

A very nice cheap beer. Inoffensive with some pleasant aspects. Around here you can find it for $1.50/pint at Clark's or $5.50 a 12-pack at the grocery store.

03-20-2006 22:31:55 | More by tempest
Zorro

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a Clear Golden Brew.

Smell is fairly sweet with a hint of hop smell.

Taste is a sweet maltiness with a nice mild hop flavor. The flavor of nuts comes out in this after a while. Definitely a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

A tasty not too expensive everyday type of beer.

12-03-2004 02:24:34 | More by Zorro
Wasatch

Utah

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours a golden yellow color, some carbonation, tiny head which did not last long, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, yeast, and hops.

T - The taste is pretty sweet, nice clean finish.

M - Light-Medium body. Well rounded brew.

D - Drinkable. Not a bad beer, but would not buy again though. When I first poured it, I thought it was a pilsner.

04-30-2006 00:46:08 | More by Wasatch
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.