Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

rAvg: 3
pDev: 20%
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

"Genny" Cream Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this many years ago out of the bottle, came across it the other day at the grocery store so I picked up a twelve pack of cans. Solid beer, much better than I remember. Pours a golden yellow, slightly darker than most of the BMC's. Creamy head that quickly leaves (too soon in myh opinion), adequate carbonation and no lacing. The aroma doesn't grab my attention, I can detect some decent maltiness along with a weak grain afterscent. The mouthfeel is rather pleasant, it is full and creamy. The nice mouthfeel leads me into an exceptionally pleasant taste. I am surprised, although not outstanding the flavor of this beer is mild and enjoyable. There is a nice maltiness that keeps my attention. Smooth finish and no unpleasant aftertaste. I don't want to call this swill, but it appears to be marketed as such. For the price this is one beer that I will consider keeping stocked in my fridge, another surprising find among the beers found along the bottom shelves.

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%

My father in law pulled a can of Genny Cream Ale from the refrigerator and was proud to proclaim that he bought the 30 pack for $14.99 and thought it was a very good beer. He asked if I would care for one and I jumped at the chance. When else will I have a chance to enjoy a Genny Cream ale? I very subtly typed a few notes into my blackberry as I drank the beer so I could provide a review. This was certainly an unexpected delight for the day.

When poured from the can the beer formed a nice fluffy white head that actually stayed around for a short while. Later is mellowed to a slim foam across the top. The beer was very light gold in color but a touch more substantial than some of the regular Macro beers. Very clear with little visible carbonation. There was some lacing that did remain in the glass, but not a substantial amount.

Very light malt aroma with just a fresh aroma. Nothing strong, all very subdued.

Flavor was better than I expected and I sensed a subtle spiciness to the beer that I really didn't expect. Didn't seem to come from hops since that hop characteristics were all very mellow. Perhaps this was from one of the grains used. I have no idea if this is all malt or if corn/rice is used. Flavor was smooth and fairly well balanced, but of course not a lot of depth. For a "lawnmower" type beer this isn't a bad choice.

I was pleasantly surprised and felt it was quite smooth and refreshing. Mouth feel was light and I could have easily had another.

If I'm stranded in a convenience store in upstate New York, I won't fret as much as I once thought.

3.68/5  rDev +22.7%

Had a six pack of these for the first time in a while. Hey, for $4.99 a sixer, you certainly can't complain.

Appearance is a sly, gold color; the color of gold bricks. It also has pretty decent lacing and overall head retention. Not a bad looking beer.

Smell is fairly liberal in corn and wet malts. Nothing too overpowering and actually smells pretty good.

Taste is pretty awesome. There is a bit of corn taste, but it doesn't last too long as the sweeter sides of the malts kick in. This is a good beer that goes down easy and delicious.

Mouthfeel is pretty average: watery, non-frothy and smooth.

Drinkability is top notch. A six pack of this goes really quickly, so ya gotta be careful or you'll run out quick!

3.59/5  rDev +19.7%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium head on a very light yellow body. Smell and taste were unremarkable, but decent enough for it to be a good everyday beer. Reminded me of a "big brewer" lager, which is to say, not bad. Against other cream ale's, like Spotted Cow, it's not anywhere close.

2.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Most of this beer can be described using the word "slight", as in "it's basically a slighty more intense macro lager", but the flavors that are there aren't entirely unpleasant.

Starting from the initial opening of the bottle. Did I catch a whiff of hops there? Not much to the aroma. Upon pouring, the head vaporizes almost instantly atop the crystal clear light golden brew.

It's slightly hopped, with a malt profile slightly more intense than you're average macro and a very thin and crisply carbonated mouthfeel. Without much other flavor, surprisingly strong and nearly unpleasant fusel alcohols on the finish stick on the back of your tongue like a shot, which kill the drinkability for me.

Not terrible (see Coors Light) but overall it is only a slight step up from any BMC and should be treated accordingly. To end on a positive note, at least it's not made entirely from corn or rice.

3.57/5  rDev +19%

A tad darker then most pale golden beers. Huge fluffy head though it fades right away. Beery sort of smell-somewhat of a metallic grain aroma. Actually has a slight hop aroma. Decent macro flavor-just a hint of sweet malt flavor with a slight hop bite. Decent body-feels like a lager though it must be an ale. Very crisp and dry in the finish. I have loved this since I was about 16. Not as "special" as it seemed way back then but a decent enough "summer" beer at a great price.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A - Clear yellow color with lots of carbonation. White foam head that quickly turned into a soapy film. Minimal lacing.

S - Slightly malty aroma, not much else.

T - Creamy taste for such a thin bodied ale. Slightly sweet and malty.

MF&D - I would drink Genny over Bud, Coors or Miller any day. A good old school thirst quecher.

2.43/5  rDev -19%

Ahhh...memories of drinking this with my dad after graduating high school. He bought the 30-pack if cans for guests, so I figured it was only proper I had a can again for this review. A lot worse than I remembered, but not bad.
A thinnish, yellowish discharge of a pour with a medicinal and aluminumish smell. Not exactly a tasty beer, but medium-bodied and goes down real smooth and creamy. Not much flavor packed in the hops, and no real maltiness either. But it is an easy beer to drink, which is more than I can say for other cheap fare.

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

Okay so I got this at a bar for $1.50, maybe that's why I enjoyed it. Well it was creamy but still watery, bready, yeasty, very little hop presence (if any at all). Couldn't smell it or pour it from my bottle to look at it. But it was rather drinkable. Sweet, not too sweet, just well... creamy in taste but not in mouthfeel... but not too overwhelming in any respect. If you can get it for $1.50 at a decent bar then I would suggest that you do the same and try it.

3.57/5  rDev +19%

On tap at Anchor Bar 5/24/08

Poured a slightly hazy gold color with very little head. Smells of butterscotch and apple cider vinegar. Tastes of lemon, lightly toasted malt, butter, and apples with a sweet bitter acidic finish. Light in body with low carbonation, smooth and creamy with good fruit and butter flavors. Pretty refreshing and easy to drink, goes great with wings.

2.73/5  rDev -9%

Pours out a very light golden color with a large head(after a hard pour) that dissapates rather quickly to a fine lacing. Smell? not much of any smell detected. Mouth-feel is OK and taste is rather watery. I guess I was expecting more from this brew given all the awards it has won.(they are all listed on the packaging) To me it isn't much different than PBR,Budweiser,or MGD only a little higher priced here in IA.

1.79/5  rDev -40.3%

Hmmm...interesting beer. I don't mean that in a good way. Just well, I was expecting a bit more, and this wasn't it.

Tastes an awful lot like a typical MGD Macro style with a little bit more flavor. Eh...for the same price I can get a decent Micro...

2.11/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a pale yellow color and hold a weak light beige head. The nose and taste remind more of a cheap lager than a cream ale. There are old grassy grains anb mildly bitter hops. The taste has bit of sweet creamy malt, but not much. The medium body is quite smooth and definately helps the drinkability.

3.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Serving- 12oz can poured into a pilsner glass

A- very pail gold color, huge foamy head that dissipates after about a minute

S- pretty sweet odor with a hint of hops

T/M - Very watery mouthfeel. Taste is very sweet and creamy, but finishes very weak and slightly oily.

This is the only cream ale I've had, but for the price it's pretty good. It kind of tastes like a cross between high life and cream soda to me. I'm definitely adding this to my list of go to cheap beers (along with high life and PBR).

3.08/5  rDev +2.7%

Well from being upstate Genesee beers have been around me for years. From remembering it being drunk by grown ups at parties when younger to my grand father having it in is fridge in Rochester. Now we all have joked quite a bit about Genesee beer, but for what it is, more or less a macro brew, IMO it is not a bad beer. The Cream ale is not a bad brew for a warm day when you do not want everything to be about the hops. It has an easy drinking quality to it. The brew pours to a somewhat deep yellow color with a good sized white head that loses its structure pretty quickly but holds a sheet of white that leaves some good lacing. The aroma is very subtle all around, mostly grain like malt scent, slight roast and maybe the presence of hops. The flavor has a sweetness to it from the malt, has a creamy feel, slight corn like flavor seems to come out towards the back end. Overall this is not a great brew, but I will admit that I do pick this up from time to time to have as a throw in brew when drinking with friends. Also has some sentimental value for me.

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%

This is no Belgian Lambic or anything, but I like this beer for what it is. I think its at the top of the class of brews that you drink in large quantities at parties (like Miller High Life, PBR etc.) It has a solid, creamy taste, a decent mouthfeel and is extremely drinkable and refreshing (it's also very cheap!). Too bad I have to drive all the way to Buffalo to get it.

2.77/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance is gold, well-carbonated. The head didn't retain at all, just watched it dissipate before my very eyes.

Smell is clean, got a fruity aroma from it like apple or pear. Hint of vanilla.

Smooth taste, but finished flat. Caramel malts, and a lot of that apple that I got in the smell. Got some lemon in the finish as well. The more sips I took, it started tasting like an cider. I got a lot of apple in the taste for some reason.

Mouthfeel is alright - thin, carbonation hits the tongue, but is just goes down flat.

This is a easy to drink beer, but not complicated at all. Hops are not very detectable, and again, it tastes pretty thin. I wouldn't keep a 6-pk of this in my house, but wouldn't turn it down if offered.

2.55/5  rDev -15%

After watching a guy buy eight cases of this stuff I figured either he is trying to nourish a bunch of starving orphans for cheap (and it is cheap for 12 bucks a case!) or he really likes the stuff. I bought a bottle and tried it out. Pours a pale yellow with little bubbles everywhere. Smells of on hop bud and one malt grain swimming around. Tastes mildly malty with a breath of hops. Too carbonated for a cream ale I think.

2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

I bought this out of reverence for my dear wife, originally from Rochester, NY where this brew is made. There, it's a classic. Hm.

Pouring with slight care, the brew pours crystal clear pale yellow with minimal white soapy head. To it's credit the head diminished quickly to a thin layer but it stayed. There was also some light lacing.

The aroma of this brew is, well, boring. Not much happening at all - a little malt, a little hop, just a hint of citrus. That's about it.

The taste was very light and thin but what malt flavor resides in this brew stays throughout the experience. It's rather well balanced and more on the dry side. The finish is quick and dry as well, with little to no linger; very clean.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and rather lively with the abundant carbonation. The bubbles aren't quite as bad as soda-pop but they are rather persistent. The swallow is relatively smooth and, combined with the quick finish, is very easy to drink. Sorry, Honey, but this one is pretty average to me.

2.92/5  rDev -2.7%

My friend always complains this is hard to find here and it is. This is my first time trying the brew, though I have known about it forever.

No freshness dating, but no dust, so that's good. This brew pours a nice straw gold that is crystal clear, so that's good. But my score would be higher if the fizzy white head could stick around for longer than six seconds. Aroma is pleasant, some light honey and floral smalls with some adjunct grains, but nothing offending. Taste is thin but sweet; honey and a bit of citrus there, but not much, though it does keep it from being too watery. Aftertaste, well there is none. Goes down with a carbonated fizziness reminiscent of a soda; leaves an oily slickness on the tongue. A refreshing brew that quenches.

This is a solid brew, but not one I'd hunt for; but I wouldn't turn it down. A step above most adjunct macro brews as it does not become undrinkable if it warms a bit. Solid for barbecues and summer days.

3.33/5  rDev +11%

Eh, $5 a six pack is worth a try.

Pours out pretty clear, but some amber-ish hues attempt to push through the yellow color. The head is fizzy and rather wimpy. Is mostly gone in no time. Lots of visible carbonation. I do kind of like the color though.

Well, there's not much aroma to speak of. At a rather cold temperature the best I can surmise is a rather adjunct-y lager smell. It's not offensive or anything, but at best is a mild sweetness and crisp grains.

In spite of being underwhelming in the previous areas, I like the taste. It's simple, but very refreshing. It's got a mild pale maltiness and a hint of hops. The finish is really nice. It does feel rather creamy with a sweet grain flavor and some lingering hops, more than what shows on the palate. Kind of reminds me of Corn Flakes a little, but it works somehow. Hey, Corn Flakes are pretty good.

It's fizzy. But it has enough heft for me to like it well enough.

This is the kind of beer I could drink a lot of in an evening. It's meant to be served out of the bottle, and I had no problem getting through a few of them. I would guess this would be a hit with non-BAs, as it has about the intensity of a macro, but a better flavor, without being too foreign. The scores aren't going to make this look too great, but it hits the mark for what it is (and for the price). If the cost stays low I'll buy it again. I can't drink Chimay every night.

2.65/5  rDev -11.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color. Thin creamy-white head which quickly dissipates into a film.

Smell: Malty-floral-grain aroma.

Taste: Generic grainy malt taste with corn flavors coming out in the (not too pleasant) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, light-bodied, and generally smooth with a more slick feel afterwards.

Drinkability: Decent, but hardly inspires me to have another.

It's basically an American Light Lager with a bit slicker feel. I suppose this is cheaper on the East Coast, but here on the West Coast it's the same cost as Sam Adams. This was my first Cream Ale and I'm rather disappointed; might as well have just grabbed a Michelob. Hopefully others in this style are better.

4.03/5  rDev +34.3%

A grossly underrated beer. Genny Cream Ale is a former World Beer Cup gold medalist for good reason.

A golden pour into a frosty pint glass, the taste is clean with a sweet finish. Good carbonation, good mouth feel, great drinkability. I'd recommend this beer to anyone on a cold winter evening or a hot summer afternoon.

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

Typical macro lager color with a decent head that quickly fades.Taste is sweet florals and malt,aroma is what smells like corn or cooked veggies.This is one of those beers that you're not gonna describe all of the complex characteristics of,yet it is an enjoyable non-offensive beer.I will buy this again and enjoy it in the summer months!!

2.41/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 12oz screw cap bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of foam. Clear, light amber in color with lots of bubbles rising to the surface. Smelled slightly grassy/hay like, a touchy skunky and had a fruity quality as it warmed. Slightly sweet and fruity in taste with little to no flavor hop and low bitterness that lingered for a short time. It was fizzy and prickles the tongue with carbonation. The mouth feel was thin, appropriate for style. An easy drinking beer but not impressive overall.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.