Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
PorterLambic

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

This is one of those beers you hear about when you're in your late teens.You know, a friend's friend once had it and thought is was great. A beer that sells by rumor.I was reticent to try it, ranking it with the megabrew swill in my mind but caved when offered a cold one. Here goes.
Pours a clear, golden color with a big, white head that leaves lots of lace.
Smell is weak but has hops, lemon, malt and a light pepper note. A good balance and better complexity than expected.
Taste is hoppy, with hints of lemon and pepper, but also a hint of cardboard and a weird metallic tinge to it. Weird because it came out of a bottle. Complexity is pretty much gone but the balance is still hanging on.
Mouthfeel is thin for an ale. Not much aftertaste and what there is is metallic. Comes over like a lager.
Drinkability: Well, it's better than any megabrew beer I've ever had but sadly, that ain't saying much. They could go a long way with this beer if they tried, let's hope they do try and soon. I won't be drinking this again.

01-25-2005 16:07:17 | More by PorterLambic
KoG

Nevada

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

From the staw-like color and fizzy head I wasn't really expecting much of this. The carbonation created a good head that didn't leave any lacing at all. Just looked like a run of the mill lager.

Smell wasn't bad, weak hop aroma with a light malt base that is a bit sweet.

Taste was pretty darn good. Not much of a cream ale, but not a bad taste either and easilty better than swill. Decent hop presence with a good malt profile that comes out a bit sweeter than expected.

Mouth was creamy, smooth, and left me refeshed after driving around all day in 2+ feet of snow.

This is easily drinkable and would definately quench a thirst on a hot summer day.

12-31-2004 23:37:03 | More by KoG
Excalibur33

Connecticut

2.68/5  rDev -11%

I picked up a six pack of this to try last week after joking with an old law school friend who said he loved it back in college. From the bottle, I poured the beer into a freezer-chilled pint glass. Surprisingly, the head held on for a few minutes. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, with a hint of citrus in the flavor. No malt or hops to speak of, and the aftertaste was a bit unpleasant. Overall, not fantastic, but not the total swill that others seem to think it is.

12-23-2004 17:26:11 | More by Excalibur33
TheDeuce

Cream Ale...an original classic, it says on the can

Appearance-nice golden fizzy color, a pretty good amount of head with white foamy lace. Dissipitates after a few.

Smell-I detect some sweet malt, faint hop aroma as well along with corn and alcohol. Not all that much, but there is at least something there.

Taste-fairly clean and sweet, malt does a nice job coming out though trouncing all other flavors, crisp, slightly bitter at the end.

Mouthfeel-Thin, watery like most, very smooth though, good aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.

Drinkabiltiy-its not all that much different than all other macro stuff drank, so you could get away with trying this every once in a while. Why not?

Overall-solid, a slighly different beverage than what most are used to, it gets the job done, I tend to prefer my beers much less sweet but this beer was satisfiably adaquete. 3 bucks a sixpack like all other Genny products, this is the highest rated from me thus far.

12-04-2004 02:32:17 | More by TheDeuce
Zorro

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a Clear Golden Brew.

Smell is fairly sweet with a hint of hop smell.

Taste is a sweet maltiness with a nice mild hop flavor. The flavor of nuts comes out in this after a while. Definitely a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

A tasty not too expensive everyday type of beer.

12-03-2004 02:24:34 | More by Zorro
KroMagnon

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Crystal clear; yellow in color with a nice white head that was pretty long-lasting. Aroma has a faint bubblegum ester note and a touch of maltiness along with some corn and/or DMS (?). The flavor is sweet, but not a complex malty sweetness - I guess this is corn grainy sweetness - with a decent level of balancing hop bitterness, though no real hop flavor to speak of. The beer is pretty simple and about the level of a typical macroswill - in fact, I had a blind taste test to try and identify this beer along with a Coors, Heinekin, Miller Lite, Palmetto Pale Ale and Spaten Octoberfest. This beer and the coors were very, very similar.

For the BJCP style cream ale, I'd honestly expected some even lighter and more attenuated; however its a prime commercial example so it has to be a 4.75 or so (out of 5)

10-12-2004 00:04:12 | More by KroMagnon
rugbycritic

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

For those of you keeping score at home, the American Cream Ale style is one of two indiginous beers styles to North America (the other is California Common). Genny's got this one nailed. Just ask 'em. They've either won the category or silvered everytime.

It's kind of sweet for yellow beer. Distinctive corny smells and tastes. It's really not all that different from all the rest.

It's got a rep for providing the imbiber with the unfortunate ability to project ungodly emanations from their butts. The brewery feels this is undeserved, as most consumers consume quite large quantities of fermented liquids, then pile on unmentionable types of food, i.e. burritos, nachos, buffalo chicken wings, hash brownies. You get the idea.

It'll fit right in with the co-ed softball team. Besides, this was the stuff that my 'friends' spiked with a bit of vodka when I was 16 at an end of season party (soccer if you must know). I couldn't even ride my bike home, damn road was moving around too much. Loved it then, still love it today.

But it's better without the vodka.

09-07-2004 03:11:12 | More by rugbycritic
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +28.9%

Ahh...an old classic revisited after many years pours an average white head over clear pale golden liquid. Sweet malty nose with a spicy yeast subtleness to it. Above average mouthfeel for a beer of this nature. Flavors of of soft maltiness, light yet effective hop bitterness, less of an adjuncty taste than you would be led to believe in a low-priced beer. The finish is clean with a sweet flourish, for the price you just cannot beat it...miles ahead of PBR in my opinion & a great hot weather quencher.

09-06-2004 15:47:29 | More by beerluvr
bultrey

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

What is it about this beer? First off, this is the beer my dad used to drink when we were poor, and he used to let me steal sips now and again, making it the first beer I ever tried. That speaks volumes to its sweetness, as I liked it when I was 13 or 14, and not many people that age are ready for the hoppiness of an Arrogant Bastard, or even a Sam Adams.
Back in college, I revisited it with my sophomore year roommate, as we bought a case of cans for a big outdoor party. I wanted to see if it held a special place in my heart. It ended up holding a special place in my bladder and colon, instead, and we finished about 3.5 cans out of 24.

So recently, it was with trepidation that I tried this beer again, to wash down some Buffalo wings at the home of the original Buffalo wing -- the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. My compadres had ordered ginger ales, and when the beer came out, it was hard to distinguish it from the sodas. Really. It looks weird. It's pale, pale golden like, well, ginger ale. And the carbonation is very visible in large, soda-like bubbles. The first sip reveals adjunct sweetness, but not cloying, which develops into a creaminess that is unique to this beer. I don't know what it is. There's no way it should taste this creamy from the way it looks, but it pulls it off. There are almost no hops to speak of, and the finish is slightly dry, and actually pretty refreshing. It really tastes like malt liquor of a slightly higher quality. I think I could make this a session beer if I was more focused on the food, as I clearly was in this case.
This beer, if given proper attention, could be better. As it is, it is just a notch above, in my book, many mass-produced American beers simply because of the unique creaminess and refreshing taste. I suspect the draft version trumps the bottle, and the bottle trumps the can, which I can only remember as awful.

09-01-2004 15:31:43 | More by bultrey
Ricochet

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

Genny Screamers. I prepared my stomach for this classic beer that I remember my brother drinking when he was 18. (Last year for 18 to be legal in Ohio) I had this beer and drank it from cans back when my biker friend drank this almost exclusively. I also remember having no money in Toledo and taking the challenege to drink a completely warm can , got through 2 swigs and was sick. That was the last time I had GCA until now. Feeling lucky, bought a 40...

It looks okay for a cheap beer with a nice head though it left quick. Even though this was from a bottle, it smelled metallic. First taste, I felt like I was drinking the gruel in a generic can of creamed corn. The alcohol and corn tastes are seperate, and I could taste each one distinctly. It seemed like this beer needed to brew longer. It also stung a bit on the tounge. At the end of the glass, there was an unwelcome bitterness. Unlike other cheap beers that dull the senses after a few, I ran out of steam with about 12 OZ left and could not finish it.

Yeah, drinkablilty is average if you drink it ice cold and you wanna quick drunk, but why buy this stuff? If you can find Genny Red Lager, it's the same price and a far better tasting beer.

07-08-2004 04:28:08 | More by Ricochet
aracauna

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Where the Hollande 1620 I had just prior to this was surprisingly malty and had a bit going for it, this is paler than the pale lager, the head more fleeting and the flavor weaker. There's no hop presence in the nose or flavor, skunked or not, and the malt only shows up early on as a dry paper-like flavor. Not exciting at all, but then again, there's nothing offensive about it either.

05-13-2004 06:15:38 | More by aracauna
CBFanWish

3.98/5  rDev +32.2%

There was always a sixer in the house growing up. Of course with my dad, there were lots of sixers of genny products in the house. I have always loved the smoothness of this ale. It goes down smooth as silk. There is nothing better served ice cold. Drink it straight from the bottle. There is no need for a glass here.

By the way, make sure you don't have any important meetings the next day. Farting is a side effect of this beer.

03-09-2004 03:24:02 | More by CBFanWish
kbub6f

2.83/5  rDev -6%

The head is small, white, very noisy and dies quickly. Beer is clear yellow/gold. The smell is sweet, corny, fairly malty. Front is tart, a little grainsy. Middle is thin, some corny maltiness. Finish is corny and slightly bitter, turning cloying with a slight chemical flare. It's not bad: a sweet, corny, common beer.

02-09-2004 22:55:33 | More by kbub6f
Foxman

2.55/5  rDev -15.3%

It pours a pale yellow, like cornsilk, fittingly enough, with virtually no head retention after a blast of soapy white foam kicks up.

There's very little distinct aroma, but what's there brings to mind a very faint whiff of corn.

The first taste brings a distant malt sweetness, born by a pleasantly creamy but still adjunct note, and these are vaguely countered by a sparse fruit/corn essence. The finish is dry and lacks any identity.

It is ultra-light bodied and watery, and flat despite what seems to be ample carbonation. It leaves no legacy of its prior presence.

The flavor is the strongpoint here, but I really do not want to overstate that as some kind of substantial asset. Average taste, in this case, is in no way enough to overcome the beer's other decidedly subpar characteristics. The sum of the parts makes it drinakable, sure, but I wonder to myself, why bother? Nostalgia? True, I had more than my share in the early 80's, but I'll claim youth as an excuse for such ill-advised indulgences. Some things are best left in the past, and this is one of them.

02-03-2004 16:03:45 | More by Foxman
RoyalT

3.28/5  rDev +9%

Appearance – Very light and clear yellow in color with a decent head.

Smell – This smells just like a typical American Pale Lager. The cheap grain is mixed with a hint of man-made sweetness that disappoints at best.

Taste – Ah, definitely a little different. This one flowed together quite nicely. The refined sugars are just off the beaten path enough that they aren’t so bad. The grain is very soft and, yes, creamy.

Mouthfeel – Here’s where this one scores points. The light and fluffy creamy nature of this ale is pleasing to the mouth.

Drinkability – A notch above the typical American macro swill in my book.

01-12-2004 00:33:50 | More by RoyalT
BeefyMee

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: The head wasn't developing well on the pour, but I was able to forced almost to two fingers. I turned my back and the head was gone. Oh well. Body color is a pale amber.

Taste: Nothing jumps out in the flavor. It is crisp yet creamy.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable. I wish I knew about this beer in my 30 pack days. It would be so much better than Natty or the other crap used for drinking games.

A nice, refreshing beer. I bet it would be good on a hot summer day.

01-08-2004 07:24:16 | More by BeefyMee
Ellbert

2.83/5  rDev -6%

This beer got worse the more I drank. At first it tasted good but the flavor seemed to diminish.

The apperance was ok, it had a small head that diminished but it left a lace around the glass that looked nice.

I could not drink this all night, I could definitely have more than one but not many. As I said, the more I drank the worse it tasted.

09-16-2003 02:51:15 | More by Ellbert
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.25/5  rDev +8%

I bought this one on one of my all to often whims of cheap beers. I am always spending like $5 a bottle for some good stuff, so it's good to take a break and get some really cheap stuff. This was $8 for a 30 pack and that was cheap enough for me! The appearance was pretty basic, nothing fantastic. A little head, but died down fast. The color was of the basic yellow strawish variety. The smell was faint, but you could definately detect some cream to it. The taste was similar, but you cold taste some alcohol to it at 5.1%. The mouthfeel was the same as any other macrobeer, so nothing great. Drinkability? I think so!!! Gimmie some mo!

08-30-2003 20:58:05 | More by JISurfer
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a plae fizzy golden yellow with a healthy sized bright white head, leaving trickled lacing not bad just average in appearance. Aroma contains sweet aroma from the combonation of malt and adjuncts that aren't to off pretty unoffensive smell going on. Some lemon grass tones are also there maybe a touch of hops, but nothing stands out here. Taste contains a rolling sweet flavor not bad just light in flavor mild hop bitterness just a touch, better than most macros that's all I can say about it no off flavors finishes clean. Mouthfeel is thin light in body no impressive features within the mouthfeel. Drinkability is not bad just can't see myself ever craving for this beer, wouldn't pass one just not worth seeking out.

08-21-2003 15:50:41 | More by WVbeergeek
beerguy101

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Light gold color, small head. Aroma is slightly sweet. A light bodied ale. Smooth lighter malt taste, slightly spicy hops. Full flavor. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet. A light and refreshing beer.

08-17-2003 01:47:23 | More by beerguy101
rabidawg

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev -22.6%

"Not impressed" says it all. I think Genny Cream had been built up in my mind by those loyal to it for some reason.

Speaking objectively, this is a slightly-below average, American macro swill. An ale it may be, but the taste is only slightly removed from Old Milwaukee.

Decent appearance. Highly carbonated, pale-clear yellow. Nice head that settled quickly, but there was a decent lace (a few speckles) left on my glass.

Smells of corn and rice. The normal aromatic bouquet associated with ales is sorely lacking here. Just a standard, grainy nose, with nothing special to offer. Definite alcohol presence; almost reminds me of an ice beer. Minimal hops, no apparent malt.

Taste is nothing to write home about. Corny, almost starchy. Dry enough not to make me want more. Odd creamy finish, like an A&W cream soda gone wrong. Coats my mouth and won't let go. No more, please.

05-27-2003 22:11:47 | More by rabidawg
AtLagerHeads

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Crystal clear golden body with the thinnest of white heads. No discernible lace effect from the thin layer of white. Plenty of malt in the nose with a sense of caramel when warmer. The taste is purely malt with the lightest of hops adding a small degree of balance. A bit of alcohol comes through on the palate. Smooth and creamy feel with little crispness.

05-26-2003 12:04:15 | More by AtLagerHeads
Wildman

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer is one that helped me survive college and of course a weekend visit up there got my old college buddy feeling nostalgic for it. It has got more flavor to it than most of the other beers we consumed in school. It poured a typical pale yellow color and formed little head, but what of it was a bubbly white with no lace left as it vanished. An aroma of hops and grain were present. The aroma was of hops and grain. The finish had a slight creaminess to it that was probably what helped it to be our beer of choice back in college.

04-28-2003 20:33:38 | More by Wildman
Pegasus

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Pours a nice medium golden color with an abundance of carbonation and a half-inch thick creamy white head, which retains very well; there is an abundance of broken lace.

Aroma: Pleasant honeysuckle aroma from the sweet malts; there are lemony hops as well, and hints of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with sweet malt, prominent and warming alcohol notes, midway through the taste, lingering bitter citrus hops appear; finishes clean and dry.

Mouth feel: Begins with soft carbonation, the mouth feel is smooth, creamy, and rather full, quite nice.

Drinkability/notes: Overall, this is a quite refreshing and very drinkable beer and would be quite pleasing in the summer season.

04-01-2003 18:39:48 | More by Pegasus
Morris729

Pours a medium golden color with a thin white head that quickly fades into a thin and bubbly lace. Nose is dominated by sweet malts with little else present. Light in body with a clean and crisp mouthfeel. Taste is also mostly sweet malts with only a trace amount of hop bitterness and a dry finish. A very one-dimensional brew.

03-09-2003 12:34:15 | More by Morris729
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.