Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

rAvg: 3
pDev: 20%
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev +12.7%

Typical macro lager color with a decent head that quickly fades.Taste is sweet florals and malt,aroma is what smells like corn or cooked veggies.This is one of those beers that you're not gonna describe all of the complex characteristics of,yet it is an enjoyable non-offensive beer.I will buy this again and enjoy it in the summer months!!

2.42/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12oz screw cap bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of foam. Clear, light amber in color with lots of bubbles rising to the surface. Smelled slightly grassy/hay like, a touchy skunky and had a fruity quality as it warmed. Slightly sweet and fruity in taste with little to no flavor hop and low bitterness that lingered for a short time. It was fizzy and prickles the tongue with carbonation. The mouth feel was thin, appropriate for style. An easy drinking beer but not impressive overall.

2.88/5  rDev -4%

This beer has a terrible reputation in my hometown (where its actually brewed; just a few miles from my home). It's the butt of many jokes, however most of those jokes come from people who don't know squat about beer, and probably have never even tried it. The two guys I know that love beer as much as I do both recommended this beer to me (on separate occasions), as a cheap and drinkable brew.
Pours a clear straw color with a thin white head that reduces quickly, leaving a light froth that never completely goes away. Actually leaves a little spotty lacing!
Smell is average macro aroma.
Taste is nothing too noteworthy, yet inoffensive. Mostly a rounded maltiness and adjunct flavor, traces of fruitiness and faint alcohol in the finish. No real significant hop character.
Mouthfeel is light, slightly creamy I guess, but heavily carbonated like a soda-pop.
At $3.49-3.99 per six or $5.99 per 12 cans, its a no risk session beer. Not great, but not deserving of it's "worst beer ever" stigma. I do recommend bottles over cans if you can find them.

3.58/5  rDev +19.3%

A - Pours up crystal clear and a gold yellow color. THe white head dissipates quickly.

S - Not much smell. A hint of hops and some sweet malt. But very subtle.

T - Not much on the beginning, but finishes with a husky malt flavor, and some spice.

M - Good mouth feel. A bit thin, but well carbonated

D - A good beer. Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev +11%

Yeasty, metallic smell with a touch of malt perhaps, after a light golden pour with short to medium lived white head. Taste is very smooth, yet suitably carbonated and has a sweetish grainish corn or wheaty hearty flavor to it. Just a touch of bitterness, and enough to balance out the mild flavors. Tastes similar to a couple Kolsches I've had, such as Shiner Kolsch and Lawnmower. Aftertaste was there and was pleasant. This isn't going to be a fancy beer needing an acquired taste, but I thought it was very drinkable and enjoyable, especially after the 2 other beers I rated tonight which were debacles, and undrinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Had to try this "cult" east coast lawnmower beer after finding a cheap single from Friar Tuck for $1 and change.

Pale golden yellow pour, it reflects alot of light in the glass. Tiny streams of carbonation, some bubbles cling to the walls.

Dull vegetal smell, some sweet corn and a faint honeyish grain.

White corn, well water, and feeble, papery pale malt. At least it has some flavor to it, albeit subtle. A tad too sweet on the end, yet it does remind me of corn-on-the-cob. Also slightly gaseous, despite the vaguely creamy mouthfeel suggesting low carbonation. Similar to the sweetness in Czech Pilsners.

Maybe a decent economical choice in the spring or summer, but not a repeat brew for me.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

I tried this at Buffalo Wildwings after work with some friends.

A - Clear yellow with a minimal white head and a small amount of wet lace. Looks pretty much like a macro lager to me.

S - Fruity, grainy, and fresh. No complexity whatsoever. Sweeter and more fruity than macros.

T - Again, sweet and lightly fruity. Not much going on here, but it's pleasant enough.

M - Light bodied, somewhat creamy, moderately carbonated, with a clean and sweet finish.

D - A very boring, but quite refreshing brew. This is one notch up from standard macro lagers, and macro lovers would like this beer for sure. I however, think that lack of complexity defeats the whole purpose of drinking craft beer. Nothing offends me about this beer, but there is nothing that I particularly like about it either. It's meh.

1.27/5  rDev -57.7%

A good friend of mine is hosting a "bad beer contest" in the near future and this beer is on the shortlist to bring to the contest. I understand that to some people it's an important regional beer with a lot of sentimental value (which is why I don't give a lot of Milwaukee beers the reaming they deserve), but it is quite simply awful.

Appearance: The only part that isn't offensive. The color is slightly off-putting (piss "golden"), but it has excellent head retention, teasing people into thinking it's a substantive beer.

Smell: Not much to speak of. A very faint fruity aroma that probably comes from one of the Pacific Northwest hops.

Taste: Awful. What little flavor it has is sickly sweet and lingers on the tongue forever in the form of a foul aftertaste common to bad American beers. Probably nothing but lightly roasted malts and hardly any hop flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Disgusting. It's syrupy and lingers on the tongue forever. Something else is required to cleanse your palate if you want to get the disgusting aftertaste off your tongue.

Drinkability: I'm barely able to finish one. I can't think of anything it would go with. I can't imagine enjoying it during a ballgame. And I certainly can't picture myself enjoying it over the course of an evening at the bar.

3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

pours a golden color with a off white large head with a easy pour and some moderate lace. aromas are herbal with some fruityness. taste a little salty on the tip of the tongue moving to a creamy malt ending with a slight tangy or tartness. light bodied and well carbonated. used to drink a lot of genny cream ale and had to try it again and give it a review and found i still enjoy the taste.

3.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thick head into my SA pint glass. The head sticks around for a long time and the retention is good. Colr is pale and yellow.

Smell contains some mild aplle smells along with light, sweet grain and cooked corn/vegetables.

Taste is a like a macro lager but with too much sweetness. It's almost cloying.

Mouthfeel is dry and slightly creamy. Like a more full bodied, less fizzy and overly carbonated macro lager. The carbonation is good and the mouthfeel is decent.

Not a bad macro beer, quaffable, but the sweetness would have me searching elsewhere for a better beer.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head

S - Some malt sent mostly hops

T - Its actually pretty good theres good balance of malt and hops

M - Pretty light bodied pretty smooth

D - Is pretty good easy to drink for a cheap beer its worth giving it a shot

2.73/5  rDev -9%

From the can this brew pours a straw amber with a thin headskie. Good for a cheap beer. Sweet with good balance and mouthfeel. There is nothing at all special going on with this one, but it is easy to drink and easy on the pocketbooks so I won't knock it.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of eggshell white head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Honey & a bit of perfumy hops

T: Honey & dryness up front. Some lemony hops & corny sweetness as this warms. Finishes dry with lemony hops & more honey sweetness

MF: Light bodied, soft, & fairly smooth with vigirous carbonation.

Drinks pretty easy, I could do about 2-3 of these before moving on. Brings aback a few memories

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

It's an Upstate New york classic. Most kids can recognize this beer in a more familar setting: in their dad's hands while doing some sort of manly work. And at $5 a twelve pack, it shows how thrifty he was too. Genesee Cream Ale is going througha revival right now in Rochester, and deservedly so. This beer has a strong smell, but still sweet in the nostrils. The taste can be rough at first, but your pallet will adjust accordingly. It's not the best beer to sit down and take notes on, but on a warm summer's day, grab a Genny Cream Ale and go out and mow you lawn...it's what your dad would have done.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

Ok lets see.
Appearance : Looks like beer. I did pure what was left in my can into a small glass and a huge impressive head came up and nice golden color came out.

Smell : Smells like ale, i'm not a huge ale guy normally but this must be ale cause the lagers I normally drink smell "sharper" for lack of a better term. Not much smell to speak of besides that.

Taste : I read a review that suggested letting this beer get a little warmer and I must say that as i drink it there does seem to be a happy area between too cold and too warm that this beer is very very tasty. It's pretty full flavored, I made the mistake of assuming that Genesee ment watered down. Maybe if I got the light beer.

Mouthfeel : Very nice and smooth.

Drinkability : After having one and getting use the aleyness of it I desided that I could drink some more of these. For some reason the first ones just rough for me.

2.42/5  rDev -19.3%

Apperance:Very bright yellowish beer with a very thin white head that only lasts a few seconds leaving a thin white lace behind.

Aroma: All that is present is a stale malt aroma....that all

Flavor: The malt flavor is mildly sweet with a corn taste that lingers in your mouth for a long time. Lots of unneeded adjuncts in this beer. There is no hop flavor in this beer at all. It just tasts like a high class macro that is stale.

Mouthfeel:The water used in this beer is soft with mild carbonation. There is really nothing to balance the malt is awfull and theres no hops to enjoy at all.

Overall: This beer was $4 a 6 pack so dont expect all to much. Knowing that this beer is still not all that great. The malt flavor is corny and stale with no hops at all. This is something you buy when you are broke and have no homebrew around. If you need to by this then I would suggest buying some rum or something else. I use to by this beer to go fishing all the time and never thought anything of it so I guess it goes well with fish and worms.

3.88/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a golden color with a nice frothy head that holds up well. Aroma reminds me of a lager even though it's a cream ale. Taste is smooth and malty upfront with a creamy texture. Very much the taste of a lager but the body of an ale. I'm not quite sure what to expect as I've never had this style. However, I am impressed with the taste of this and would rate it well.

3.58/5  rDev +19.3%

I was a little surprised to see all the negative reviews for this beer on the site. Not that this is a Stone or Three Floyd's quality brew, but within the style (to say nothing of price or hipster cool) it's actually quite decent.

In fairness, I have a soft spot for this one as I drained it furiously in my college days in the hinterlands of upstate New York with tons of looney hillbillies who were raised on it. I prefer the old green cans with plain block lettering: "GENNY CREAM ALE" and no frills of any kind but the bottles are ok too.

Genny pours a pale straw with a mighty white head that disappears to nothing mighty fast. Nose is crystal malts and adjunct and a little skunk for good measure. Mellow, light flavor with slight whiff of hops at the finish and a clean departure. The mouthfeel is where the cream part comes in as it's smooth as a baby's bottom. These slide down like water; I could have gone 4.5 on mouthfeel if initial carbonation was a little more relaxed. Very easy to drink multiples as I've implied more than once. When slumming it, Genny and PBR are my two domestic faves.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

12oz can from Joka's in Waterville. Pours pale yellow with virtually no lasting head. Smells sweet more than anything else with hints of graininess and floral hops. Tastes sweet too, with something tasting like lactose dominating, with hints of adjunct and malt flavor, as well slight amounts of floral hops and grain bitterness on the finish. Thin to medium in body. Very drinkable. One sip definitely invites another. By no means the best beer in the world, nor the most complex, but a simple tasty beer. One of the best macro beers around, and a great value - 6.25$ per 12-pack!

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

This beer is unique. I thought maybe the bottle would be better, but it was worse than the can. As for the appearance, it looks like the average American macro lager. The nose is sweeter and the taste is sweet, as well. The mouthfeel is bitey. The drinkabliity was low for me. I just couldn't get past the "cream". Mission accomplished.

3.55/5  rDev +18.3%

'The Screamer" as it's affectionately known locally, is not a bad beer. It pours light gold, with light head and a bit of lacing. It'ssmell is a bit light, but it goes down smooth. You don't reall get a malty or hoppy taste about it. It's slightly better tahn most macros out there.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

12-oz bottle into a 12-oz mug, this beer pours a clear apple-juice color with a head that disappears in seconds. Aroma is just a faint scent of grain. Sweet grainy malt makes up about the whole of the flavor. No yeast character to speak of, and bitterness is so low as to be nearly non-detectable. Body is thin and light.

The blandest of the bland ales. It's hard to see why this warrants an entire style of its own.

4.13/5  rDev +37.7%

You know, I am pretty much a beer snob. I like the high end micros and complain about bud miller or coors whenever I get the chance. Yet there is just something splendid about Genesee Cream Ale.

Whether I am drinking one in the dead of winter or the heat of summer I always find it to be an easy drinking example of the style.

When I could not find it locally I even cloned a homebrew recipe for it so that I could make it whenever I wanted.

I love this beer

3.55/5  rDev +18.3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Gold lagerish color, with white head, very good retention and some lacing, very nice.

S: Malty, bready smell, almost smells like a French baguette.

T: A little light, but a good solid maltiness, I'm having a hard time finding any trace of a hop.

M: Quite good, smooth, not too carbonated, goes down easy.

D: I was quite surprised, I wasn't expecting much, and I got a pretty decent beer. Probably not worth the $7.99 I paid for the sixer, but a good selection. A pretty nice beer, definitely a step above your average macro. To add after having a few, I'm still enjoying them, and they don't taste like shit when warm, I'm liking this.

2.05/5  rDev -31.7%

Well I gotta admit, the term Cream Ale has sort of thrown me for a while and left me kinda debating whether or not I really wanted to go there or not. I dont particularly know why it just did not seem that enticing to me. So I finally figured, I am a grown man and need to put my unfounded fears aside and give it the old college try. So I went and picked up a Genesee Cream Ale. I figured what the hell, and my dad said he swears by this beer so we shall see. The bottle was fairly plain, with an old fashioned type label, looked like something my dad may have drank 20 years ago. So lets see what we have here.

Poured the palest golden yellow I have ever seen. I mean, this made a Bud Light look like an amber boch! Big white fizzyhead quickly faded to absoloutly nothing, leaving behind no lace and only the subtlest of films across the top. Tons of carbonation streaming, almost non stop from the bottom of the glass. Almost looked like champagne or something, or a Mountain Dew in appearence would be the best way to describe it. Fairly unimpressed with the looks of this one so far, but I have learned that looks can be decieving, especially in the beer world, so I shall continue on...

The smell was well, not really there would be the best way to describe it. It was the faintest of grain smells, almost maybea corn quality to it. So very light though that it was barely noticeable. Perhaps it was a puffed rice smell, as it vaguely reminded me of rice crispies in what I could detect in the aroma. Unimpressed again here, and I am really not getting the best impression here.

So I dove in and went for a taste. First impression was well soda water. This is a fizzy mess. Tasted like you typical light lager, but with somewhat sour grape or a light corn or something else cant really place it in there. Not really very good. Very light in texture and feel. Hugely carbonated and almost non existent on the palate. This really reminded me of some kinda of soda, or what I would think a non alcoholic beer would taste like(haven't gone there yet). I am not really sure what else I can say as far as flavor, there is just not that much there.

Overall, blah. This was one of the more forgettable beers I have ever had, and I have had some that are just downright wrong. I would actually rather have a macro than this, there just was really nothing redeeming at all here for me. Maybe it is just this one ale, and not the style, but this was about as bland as bland can beer. I will easily pass on this if it ever crosses my path again.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.