Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

"Genny" Cream Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +3%

Well from being upstate Genesee beers have been around me for years. From remembering it being drunk by grown ups at parties when younger to my grand father having it in is fridge in Rochester. Now we all have joked quite a bit about Genesee beer, but for what it is, more or less a macro brew, IMO it is not a bad beer. The Cream ale is not a bad brew for a warm day when you do not want everything to be about the hops. It has an easy drinking quality to it. The brew pours to a somewhat deep yellow color with a good sized white head that loses its structure pretty quickly but holds a sheet of white that leaves some good lacing. The aroma is very subtle all around, mostly grain like malt scent, slight roast and maybe the presence of hops. The flavor has a sweetness to it from the malt, has a creamy feel, slight corn like flavor seems to come out towards the back end. Overall this is not a great brew, but I will admit that I do pick this up from time to time to have as a throw in brew when drinking with friends. Also has some sentimental value for me.

3.65/5  rDev +22.1%

This is no Belgian Lambic or anything, but I like this beer for what it is. I think its at the top of the class of brews that you drink in large quantities at parties (like Miller High Life, PBR etc.) It has a solid, creamy taste, a decent mouthfeel and is extremely drinkable and refreshing (it's also very cheap!). Too bad I have to drive all the way to Buffalo to get it.

2.77/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance is gold, well-carbonated. The head didn't retain at all, just watched it dissipate before my very eyes.

Smell is clean, got a fruity aroma from it like apple or pear. Hint of vanilla.

Smooth taste, but finished flat. Caramel malts, and a lot of that apple that I got in the smell. Got some lemon in the finish as well. The more sips I took, it started tasting like an cider. I got a lot of apple in the taste for some reason.

Mouthfeel is alright - thin, carbonation hits the tongue, but is just goes down flat.

This is a easy to drink beer, but not complicated at all. Hops are not very detectable, and again, it tastes pretty thin. I wouldn't keep a 6-pk of this in my house, but wouldn't turn it down if offered.

2.55/5  rDev -14.7%

After watching a guy buy eight cases of this stuff I figured either he is trying to nourish a bunch of starving orphans for cheap (and it is cheap for 12 bucks a case!) or he really likes the stuff. I bought a bottle and tried it out. Pours a pale yellow with little bubbles everywhere. Smells of on hop bud and one malt grain swimming around. Tastes mildly malty with a breath of hops. Too carbonated for a cream ale I think.

2.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

I bought this out of reverence for my dear wife, originally from Rochester, NY where this brew is made. There, it's a classic. Hm.

Pouring with slight care, the brew pours crystal clear pale yellow with minimal white soapy head. To it's credit the head diminished quickly to a thin layer but it stayed. There was also some light lacing.

The aroma of this brew is, well, boring. Not much happening at all - a little malt, a little hop, just a hint of citrus. That's about it.

The taste was very light and thin but what malt flavor resides in this brew stays throughout the experience. It's rather well balanced and more on the dry side. The finish is quick and dry as well, with little to no linger; very clean.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and rather lively with the abundant carbonation. The bubbles aren't quite as bad as soda-pop but they are rather persistent. The swallow is relatively smooth and, combined with the quick finish, is very easy to drink. Sorry, Honey, but this one is pretty average to me.

2.92/5  rDev -2.3%

My friend always complains this is hard to find here and it is. This is my first time trying the brew, though I have known about it forever.

No freshness dating, but no dust, so that's good. This brew pours a nice straw gold that is crystal clear, so that's good. But my score would be higher if the fizzy white head could stick around for longer than six seconds. Aroma is pleasant, some light honey and floral smalls with some adjunct grains, but nothing offending. Taste is thin but sweet; honey and a bit of citrus there, but not much, though it does keep it from being too watery. Aftertaste, well there is none. Goes down with a carbonated fizziness reminiscent of a soda; leaves an oily slickness on the tongue. A refreshing brew that quenches.

This is a solid brew, but not one I'd hunt for; but I wouldn't turn it down. A step above most adjunct macro brews as it does not become undrinkable if it warms a bit. Solid for barbecues and summer days.

3.33/5  rDev +11.4%

Eh, $5 a six pack is worth a try.

Pours out pretty clear, but some amber-ish hues attempt to push through the yellow color. The head is fizzy and rather wimpy. Is mostly gone in no time. Lots of visible carbonation. I do kind of like the color though.

Well, there's not much aroma to speak of. At a rather cold temperature the best I can surmise is a rather adjunct-y lager smell. It's not offensive or anything, but at best is a mild sweetness and crisp grains.

In spite of being underwhelming in the previous areas, I like the taste. It's simple, but very refreshing. It's got a mild pale maltiness and a hint of hops. The finish is really nice. It does feel rather creamy with a sweet grain flavor and some lingering hops, more than what shows on the palate. Kind of reminds me of Corn Flakes a little, but it works somehow. Hey, Corn Flakes are pretty good.

It's fizzy. But it has enough heft for me to like it well enough.

This is the kind of beer I could drink a lot of in an evening. It's meant to be served out of the bottle, and I had no problem getting through a few of them. I would guess this would be a hit with non-BAs, as it has about the intensity of a macro, but a better flavor, without being too foreign. The scores aren't going to make this look too great, but it hits the mark for what it is (and for the price). If the cost stays low I'll buy it again. I can't drink Chimay every night.

2.65/5  rDev -11.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color. Thin creamy-white head which quickly dissipates into a film.

Smell: Malty-floral-grain aroma.

Taste: Generic grainy malt taste with corn flavors coming out in the (not too pleasant) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, light-bodied, and generally smooth with a more slick feel afterwards.

Drinkability: Decent, but hardly inspires me to have another.

It's basically an American Light Lager with a bit slicker feel. I suppose this is cheaper on the East Coast, but here on the West Coast it's the same cost as Sam Adams. This was my first Cream Ale and I'm rather disappointed; might as well have just grabbed a Michelob. Hopefully others in this style are better.

4.03/5  rDev +34.8%

A grossly underrated beer. Genny Cream Ale is a former World Beer Cup gold medalist for good reason.

A golden pour into a frosty pint glass, the taste is clean with a sweet finish. Good carbonation, good mouth feel, great drinkability. I'd recommend this beer to anyone on a cold winter evening or a hot summer afternoon.

3.35/5  rDev +12%

Typical macro lager color with a decent head that quickly fades.Taste is sweet florals and malt,aroma is what smells like corn or cooked veggies.This is one of those beers that you're not gonna describe all of the complex characteristics of,yet it is an enjoyable non-offensive beer.I will buy this again and enjoy it in the summer months!!

2.41/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a 12oz screw cap bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Poured aggressively, resulting in a 2 finger head of foam. Clear, light amber in color with lots of bubbles rising to the surface. Smelled slightly grassy/hay like, a touchy skunky and had a fruity quality as it warmed. Slightly sweet and fruity in taste with little to no flavor hop and low bitterness that lingered for a short time. It was fizzy and prickles the tongue with carbonation. The mouth feel was thin, appropriate for style. An easy drinking beer but not impressive overall.

2.85/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer has a terrible reputation in my hometown (where its actually brewed; just a few miles from my home). It's the butt of many jokes, however most of those jokes come from people who don't know squat about beer, and probably have never even tried it. The two guys I know that love beer as much as I do both recommended this beer to me (on separate occasions), as a cheap and drinkable brew.
Pours a clear straw color with a thin white head that reduces quickly, leaving a light froth that never completely goes away. Actually leaves a little spotty lacing!
Smell is average macro aroma.
Taste is nothing too noteworthy, yet inoffensive. Mostly a rounded maltiness and adjunct flavor, traces of fruitiness and faint alcohol in the finish. No real significant hop character.
Mouthfeel is light, slightly creamy I guess, but heavily carbonated like a soda-pop.
At $3.49-3.99 per six or $5.99 per 12 cans, its a no risk session beer. Not great, but not deserving of it's "worst beer ever" stigma. I do recommend bottles over cans if you can find them.

3.56/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours up crystal clear and a gold yellow color. THe white head dissipates quickly.

S - Not much smell. A hint of hops and some sweet malt. But very subtle.

T - Not much on the beginning, but finishes with a husky malt flavor, and some spice.

M - Good mouth feel. A bit thin, but well carbonated

D - A good beer. Nothing to write home about. Quite drinkable.

3.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Yeasty, metallic smell with a touch of malt perhaps, after a light golden pour with short to medium lived white head. Taste is very smooth, yet suitably carbonated and has a sweetish grainish corn or wheaty hearty flavor to it. Just a touch of bitterness, and enough to balance out the mild flavors. Tastes similar to a couple Kolsches I've had, such as Shiner Kolsch and Lawnmower. Aftertaste was there and was pleasant. This isn't going to be a fancy beer needing an acquired taste, but I thought it was very drinkable and enjoyable, especially after the 2 other beers I rated tonight which were debacles, and undrinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -7%

Had to try this "cult" east coast lawnmower beer after finding a cheap single from Friar Tuck for $1 and change.

Pale golden yellow pour, it reflects alot of light in the glass. Tiny streams of carbonation, some bubbles cling to the walls.

Dull vegetal smell, some sweet corn and a faint honeyish grain.

White corn, well water, and feeble, papery pale malt. At least it has some flavor to it, albeit subtle. A tad too sweet on the end, yet it does remind me of corn-on-the-cob. Also slightly gaseous, despite the vaguely creamy mouthfeel suggesting low carbonation. Similar to the sweetness in Czech Pilsners.

Maybe a decent economical choice in the spring or summer, but not a repeat brew for me.

2.57/5  rDev -14%

I tried this at Buffalo Wildwings after work with some friends.

A - Clear yellow with a minimal white head and a small amount of wet lace. Looks pretty much like a macro lager to me.

S - Fruity, grainy, and fresh. No complexity whatsoever. Sweeter and more fruity than macros.

T - Again, sweet and lightly fruity. Not much going on here, but it's pleasant enough.

M - Light bodied, somewhat creamy, moderately carbonated, with a clean and sweet finish.

D - A very boring, but quite refreshing brew. This is one notch up from standard macro lagers, and macro lovers would like this beer for sure. I however, think that lack of complexity defeats the whole purpose of drinking craft beer. Nothing offends me about this beer, but there is nothing that I particularly like about it either. It's meh.

1.33/5  rDev -55.5%

A good friend of mine is hosting a "bad beer contest" in the near future and this beer is on the shortlist to bring to the contest. I understand that to some people it's an important regional beer with a lot of sentimental value (which is why I don't give a lot of Milwaukee beers the reaming they deserve), but it is quite simply awful.

Appearance: The only part that isn't offensive. The color is slightly off-putting (piss "golden"), but it has excellent head retention, teasing people into thinking it's a substantive beer.

Smell: Not much to speak of. A very faint fruity aroma that probably comes from one of the Pacific Northwest hops.

Taste: Awful. What little flavor it has is sickly sweet and lingers on the tongue forever in the form of a foul aftertaste common to bad American beers. Probably nothing but lightly roasted malts and hardly any hop flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Disgusting. It's syrupy and lingers on the tongue forever. Something else is required to cleanse your palate if you want to get the disgusting aftertaste off your tongue.

Drinkability: I'm barely able to finish one. I can't think of anything it would go with. I can't imagine enjoying it during a ballgame. And I certainly can't picture myself enjoying it over the course of an evening at the bar.

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

pours a golden color with a off white large head with a easy pour and some moderate lace. aromas are herbal with some fruityness. taste a little salty on the tip of the tongue moving to a creamy malt ending with a slight tangy or tartness. light bodied and well carbonated. used to drink a lot of genny cream ale and had to try it again and give it a review and found i still enjoy the taste.

3.53/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thick head into my SA pint glass. The head sticks around for a long time and the retention is good. Colr is pale and yellow.

Smell contains some mild aplle smells along with light, sweet grain and cooked corn/vegetables.

Taste is a like a macro lager but with too much sweetness. It's almost cloying.

Mouthfeel is dry and slightly creamy. Like a more full bodied, less fizzy and overly carbonated macro lager. The carbonation is good and the mouthfeel is decent.

Not a bad macro beer, quaffable, but the sweetness would have me searching elsewhere for a better beer.

2.83/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head

S - Some malt sent mostly hops

T - Its actually pretty good theres good balance of malt and hops

M - Pretty light bodied pretty smooth

D - Is pretty good easy to drink for a cheap beer its worth giving it a shot

2.72/5  rDev -9%

From the can this brew pours a straw amber with a thin headskie. Good for a cheap beer. Sweet with good balance and mouthfeel. There is nothing at all special going on with this one, but it is easy to drink and easy on the pocketbooks so I won't knock it.

3.73/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of eggshell white head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Honey & a bit of perfumy hops

T: Honey & dryness up front. Some lemony hops & corny sweetness as this warms. Finishes dry with lemony hops & more honey sweetness

MF: Light bodied, soft, & fairly smooth with vigirous carbonation.

Drinks pretty easy, I could do about 2-3 of these before moving on. Brings aback a few memories

3.39/5  rDev +13.4%

It's an Upstate New york classic. Most kids can recognize this beer in a more familar setting: in their dad's hands while doing some sort of manly work. And at $5 a twelve pack, it shows how thrifty he was too. Genesee Cream Ale is going througha revival right now in Rochester, and deservedly so. This beer has a strong smell, but still sweet in the nostrils. The taste can be rough at first, but your pallet will adjust accordingly. It's not the best beer to sit down and take notes on, but on a warm summer's day, grab a Genny Cream Ale and go out and mow you lawn...it's what your dad would have done.

2.81/5  rDev -6%

Ok lets see.
Appearance : Looks like beer. I did pure what was left in my can into a small glass and a huge impressive head came up and nice golden color came out.

Smell : Smells like ale, i'm not a huge ale guy normally but this must be ale cause the lagers I normally drink smell "sharper" for lack of a better term. Not much smell to speak of besides that.

Taste : I read a review that suggested letting this beer get a little warmer and I must say that as i drink it there does seem to be a happy area between too cold and too warm that this beer is very very tasty. It's pretty full flavored, I made the mistake of assuming that Genesee ment watered down. Maybe if I got the light beer.

Mouthfeel : Very nice and smooth.

Drinkability : After having one and getting use the aleyness of it I desided that I could drink some more of these. For some reason the first ones just rough for me.

2.41/5  rDev -19.4%

Apperance:Very bright yellowish beer with a very thin white head that only lasts a few seconds leaving a thin white lace behind.

Aroma: All that is present is a stale malt aroma....that all

Flavor: The malt flavor is mildly sweet with a corn taste that lingers in your mouth for a long time. Lots of unneeded adjuncts in this beer. There is no hop flavor in this beer at all. It just tasts like a high class macro that is stale.

Mouthfeel:The water used in this beer is soft with mild carbonation. There is really nothing to balance the malt is awfull and theres no hops to enjoy at all.

Overall: This beer was $4 a 6 pack so dont expect all to much. Knowing that this beer is still not all that great. The malt flavor is corny and stale with no hops at all. This is something you buy when you are broke and have no homebrew around. If you need to by this then I would suggest buying some rum or something else. I use to by this beer to go fishing all the time and never thought anything of it so I guess it goes well with fish and worms.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.