Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

rAvg: 3
pDev: 20%
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Genesee Cream Ale pours yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce can. Smells okay, better than I would expect. It does in fact have a somewhat creamy mouthfeel, compared to a macro lager. Taste is decent, nothing to get too excited about, but better than I expected. A reasonable alternative to drinking a macro lager at a reasonable price. I'd stick with the cans, I've had some bad bottles before. Worth a try.

Drew966, Jul 27, 2006
3/5  rDev 0%

One of my father's old favorites, so decided to give it a try, and poured one of his bottles into a mug...

A: I was expecting your standard pale, bland, golden macrolager , but admittedly it's got a bit more than that (which is I guess why they call it an ale). It poured in and formed a nice half-inch white head that left no lacing, but stuck around for a pretty long time, and showed a constant stream of beaded carbonation. The carbonation made for a more interesting beer and the head was a refreshing sight, but other than that it was pretty standard material.

S: Hmmph. Nothing exceptional here either. Corn and adjuncts, somewhat malty sweet but not especially so. Citrus if you're lucky... I'd say that if you came up to this clueless, you'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to call it an ale...and no more than a trace of hops, and I swear that I can smell the alcohol...

T: Pleasant enough. Pretty distinct flavor. Taste the sweetness right away, from the sweet corn, perhaps, or the fermenting sugars. Right after that you get the adjuncts and something along the lines of a skunky lager. I get a bit of the hops in the aftertaste, but that doesn't linger altogether that long. And I have to say that after about half the beer I just couldn't shake the impression of a citrusy taste (almost-like-a-weizen). If it is there, it's fighting for a presence, but doesn't have more than a shadow of one. All around, better than I expected.

M: Dry and enthusiastically carbonated. Light bodied and honestly I'm not sure where the "cream" comes from. Others mentioned a creamy mouthfeel, but coming from the Doppelbock I had earlier today, I wouldn't venture to say that Genesee had anything close it.

D: The price is a much touted factor is this Cream Ale's success and, truth be told, if I were hanging out with some college buddies and wanted a cheap 6, I wouldn't be surprised to go for this. $3-4 for a 6? It's not an instant classic "beer of the Gods" type brew, but it's got enough character and pleasant taste to be worth my time and money. I could easily go through a six of these myself, given how light it and inoffensive it is. It goes without saying that there's better, but this isn't BAD, it's just NOT good.

InDreams, Jul 04, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours a crystal clear golden color. Heavy lacings.

The aroma is of sweet malts, maybe pears even.

I made the mistake of preceding this one with a nice pale ale. Took me a couple of sips to adjust. Malty and loaded with cheap adjuncts, but not in an offensive way. It really doesnt taste all that bad.

The mouthfeel is soft, smooth, and creamy. Very finely cut carbonation adds a bit of balance to the beer.

For the cheap price, this beer is a bargain. When its around I'll never have to settle for an overly popular macro, but I wouldnt go out of my way to find this one. Its just nice to have decent beer available at an affordable price.

jasonpeckins32, Jun 06, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Can, yoinked from someone else's 30 pack (the old saying goes, "stolen beer tastes the best").

Clear amber lager look. Head started off strong and left decent residue. Okay.

Smells first of amber malts and then adjuncts. Slight whiff of hops on the tail.

Tastes like someone took a macro lager and used more malt than adjuncts, and sweetened it up. Malty, a little breadlike, crisp touch of hops is there for the taste as well. No offtastes and the adjuncts play only a small part in the taste of this beer. The mouthfeel is definitely creamier than normal Genny, very gentle carbonation helps a lot.

Except for the lack of anything very interesting or exciting, this is the definition of a drinkable beer. Super cheap in 30-racks, creamy but not heavy mouthfeel, and a somewhat bland but not-at-all-gross taste. A top beer for parties where cheap swill is needed. Great job, High Falls, the micro-est of the macros.

semihobo, May 24, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: This beer pours a yellowish golden straw color with a bright white head, that didn't stand up to much,nor last. Many columns of beading can be found with no trace of laceing.

Smell: Smells like the typical pilsner beer. Corn husk, light maltiness(if any really),low amount of hops is detected, with justa touch of alcohol.

Taste: The flavors are simular to the aromas, adjuct corn flavoring, slight skunkiness, but not too bad, a little sweeter than the typical pilsner(maybe sweet corn?). This is my first cream ale to try, and I must admit I thought this would taste a little better than it does,but not bad.

Mouthfeel: Thin to leaner side of medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Smooth easy to drink. With the style being a cream ale, I would like to imagine the mouthfeel being creamy,frothy head, and a sweet thick maltiness, but it was non of the above.

Drinkability: A total let down. As said above, this beer was nothing that I had anticipated, but on a better note, this is about a half notch above the average pilsner. ;)

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, May 18, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +19.3%

So there is that fine line between quality and quantity. I'm all for double IPAs and Imperial Stouts, but you and I both know that after a handful of them you wind up partially comatose. It is for this reason that God created Genesee Cream Ale.

Yes, this beer is cheap. And yes, there are slight hints of cheapness in every sip. You know that slightly astringent twinge you get in the finish? Cheapness. However, you or I would be hard-pressed to find a better beer for $10.99 a 30-pack or $3.00 a 6er, or a beer that is this easy to drink.

The beer pours golden with a fizzy head that really wants to linger around but can't quite make it. Smell is almost all malt, with faint citrusy tinges if you really want to notice them. The taste and smell are very similar, and are not particularly memorable on their own. However, The creamy character of the style, combined with more-than-adequate carbonation, provide slightly more depth than your traditional macro, and are primarily what I feel set this beer aside from its other convenience store counterparts. I once saw an old Genesee Cream Ale poster with the tag line "Not the Same Old Brewskie." I agree.

CJKnowles, May 13, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

The last time I had a Genny Cream was around 1979. So its been awhile. Clear gold appearance, fluffy white bright head of about a minute's duration. Thin strings for lacing. A bit of a sharp aroma, slightly cheesy with cardboard and cheap characteristics. Light and airy mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation but works in its way. Tight flavor, mostly a corn sugary maltiness with little detectable hops and a pronounced fade. Clean brown sugar-tinged finish, odd "Lemon Pledge", without a grainy impression. Its hard to imagine a much more drinkable simple beer and that's the main category where this beer seems to stand out a bit.

ADR, May 10, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -4%

A - Pours a golden yellow color, some carbonation, tiny head which did not last long, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, yeast, and hops.

T - The taste is pretty sweet, nice clean finish.

M - Light-Medium body. Well rounded brew.

D - Drinkable. Not a bad beer, but would not buy again though. When I first poured it, I thought it was a pilsner.

Wasatch, Apr 30, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Gold macro color, nice cream white head, copious carbonation.

Smell: A mix of ligjt grain and adjunct, very light, though.

Taste: Like a creamy macro, kind of odd, yet more enjoyable than your typical American lager. The cream flavor is light yet welcome in this situation.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, adequately carbonated, good.

Drinkability: For the price there are much better beers, but if it was cheap, and I was broke, why not?

TastyTaste, Apr 18, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -61.7%

Pours a crystal clear yellow color, highly filtered, highly carbonated, fizz head dies out quickly leaving behind occasional lacing.

Smells like a typical macro lager, grain, corn, some sweetness in the minimal malt profile. Kind of dry on the palate, carbonation is sizzling, stinging.

Notes: blah blah blah....these adjunct tasting brews get really old. Why do I continue to buy them? as the blues brothers would say..."I'm on a mission from god"...all beers will be tasted...Amen.

DogFood11, Apr 15, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This may be New York pride talking, but I don't think Genny Cream Ale is all that bad.

It is a light ale with a full taste. Slightly over-carbonated. Sure the color is really pale and the head is sudsy and short lived, but the flavor is suprisingly . . . decent.

It doesn't hurt that it is less than $3.00 per six pack either.

plaid75, Apr 15, 2006

On-tap at Clark's Ale House

Straw yellow beer with white head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet adjuncts, I'd guess corn on this one. Taste isn't so bad for such a cheap beer. Sweet malts and maybe a touch of caramel. Not very complex, but nice in a cheap way. Smooth mouthfeel, a nice drinking beer if you're feeling poor and dont mind the lack of flavor.

A very nice cheap beer. Inoffensive with some pleasant aspects. Around here you can find it for $1.50/pint at Clark's or $5.50 a 12-pack at the grocery store.

tempest, Mar 20, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:When poured from my 40 it's a rather nice medium golden color with a hell of a lot of carbonation and nearly an inch and a half of pure white thick head, which might I add stays till the verry end.

Aroma: A whirlwind of sweet malts, lemon scented hops and other assorted wiffs I seem to not be at liberty to discuss, due to not being a fan of the "skunk'.

Taste: Quite maltty at first with a verry distinct bitter citrus taste that soon disapears in favor of the smooth and crisp renown Genny flava.

Mouth feel: C-R-E-A-M-Y and full

Drinkability:Quite High. I love to squash theese any time of day or season. even tho the ratings here on beeradvocate do not favor well for the Old Genny...I myself love to drink them for the price and think it was time I wrote a favorable review in "her" defence!

Tallboy, Feb 16, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +10%

Clear gold color with a fluffy ivory head that doesn't stick around long, disappears completely in just seconds.

The aroma is mild grassy, grainy, a whiff of corn.

The taste is also mild, light malt, very faint caramel and corn. Slightly dry, mild grassy hops finish. Nothing really remarkable but definitely not offensive either.

Smooth and easy to drink. A step up from typical mass market brews but only a small step.

whynot44, Feb 06, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm suprised to see that this has a not so bad color to it and a huge (3 finger) fluffy white head. Gold amber but ultra clear. There's actually decent retention and pretty nice lacing. Very mild in smell and taste. I sense some hops hidden in the smell which is mostly cheap malt. Taste is similar. Not dry at all and nice smooth creamy mouthfeel. Drinkablity is decent. The only thing that might take away from drinkability is there's not much to the taste.

This is my favorite 'I'm poor and can't afford better' beer. Laps other cheap beers by miles. The cream ale style is key here.

tastybeer, Dec 30, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sparkingly clear straw golden, forming a small white head with poor retention and sparse lacing. Medium carbonation. The aroma is pleasantly skunky but with some off-kilter overlying corn sweetness and some caramel owing to the hops and yeast used. Not exciting but not awful either. The mouthfeel is prickly and zippy with carbonation with a medium body. The taste is decent enough for the style...it's not total macro crap as I expected it might be. It kinda tastes like a Heineken with definite corn sweetness and wet paper bag in the middle and some higher alcohols which aren't terribly distracting. The finish is smooth and leaves a coating on the tongue. The aftertaste is skunky with some slight metals, light oxidation, and macro twang. Bitterness is mild.

Actually, it's better than I expected. I would drink this in a pinch.

Mitchster, Dec 27, 2005
3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance- Clear amber, not much there.

Smell- Malty sweetness, but not much of that. No hop smell evident.

Taste- Not as bad as I had thought. Watery, with a slight sweetness from some malt, very little hoppiness. Moderate carbonation.

Mouthfeel- Slightly chewy but quickly dissapates.

Drinkability- I have to admit a weakness for this beer as I drank way too much of it as a young juvenile delinquent. It really isn't that bad, especially when compared to crap like Bud Lite, Miller Lite, etc. Still, the only reason to drink this is to get a buzz.

kirok1999, Dec 23, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

I happened to be traveling through upper New-York State and bought a 12-pack of cans of "Jenny" as a joke, for someone. I was surprised, however, to discover that the beer wasn't all that much of a joke.

Being from Pittsburgh originally, we'd always joked about the weak inexpensive local beers such as Rolling Rock (now rather amazingly popular across-country, what gives?!?!?!) and others. I'm not much of a fan of the Iron City beers, either. But I was a bit taken aback when I tried this Genesee Cream Ale-- I thought I'd had it before, but maybe it was just plain Genesse or something that I'd tried? Not sure what else they brew. So-- my joke turned into a bit of amazement.

The beer, even in-can, has a nice flavor, some malt/hops taste that isn't overwhelming, it's got the typical US carbonation but not overly so, and my experience in all was rather favorable, for a day to day drinking-beer.

Those who live in their local distribution area are rather fortunate to have such an above-average beer for such an inexpensive price.

therica, Dec 07, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +10%

A: Gold in color. Clear as a bell. OK head that doesn't last very long

S: Some faint notes of malt. Very faint hop aroma - although I am drinking this beer out of a Hop Devil logo'd pint glass, so I could just be smelling the glass

T: OK. Non descript. Corny. Light hop bitterness that lingers.

M: Decent body.

D: I usually find this beer to be quite drinkable. It's one of those beers that is better in gulps than in sips.

This beer hits the style guidelines pretty well. I think it's under appreciated. Plus it's usually a real bargin.

Sayson, Nov 19, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My first beer from High Falls. Pours out to a clear golden color with a 1/2 inch head and higher carbonation. Some notes of lacing in the glass. Not much smell, although some malt and light hops. Flavor is decent; some corn, grain, malt and hops, with a touch of sweetness overall and a zesty finish. Mouthfeel was fair; good carbonation and medium light body. Better than average drinkability, this beer would go good with a hot dog or bratwurst during a football game. And for the price, it's a deal. A good, macro made, cream ale.

Frozensoul327, Nov 16, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Rich amber with the merest hint of orange. A sparse cloud of superfine particulates settles in a downward direction as intermittent superfine bubbles ascend. The cap is the very definition of off-white. Although it lacks solidity and perseverance, isn't half bad. A few thick ropes of melty lace are deposited in its wake.

The nose isn't offensive unless one is offended by a lack of anything good. You know the drill... lightly sweet grain buoyed by lightly musky, floral hops. While there's nothing here that makes me excited about taking a drink, there's nothing that fills me with trepidation either. How many ways can I say slightly below average?

The flavor is about what I expected. Think macro lager, but sweeter and with a bigger body. Adding more malt to their standard lager recipe is, I'm guessing, how the brewers ended up with this flavor profile. Ale yeast? Lager yeast? I'm not here to debate style specifics, just to pass on my (occasionally ill-informed) observations.

For whatever reason, I don't appreciate much in the way of hops on the palate, allowing the sweetish grain to dominate. I guess corn would be another way to acheive this result and would save a few bucks in the bargain. The mouthfeel is cream ale medium and is curiously undercarbonated. More bubbles would be nice since the flavor is unable to muster much liveliness on its own.

I'll spare the blast from the past reminiscences, but Genny Cream in 7 ounce bottles was a staple from my younger days. I had forgotten what it tastes like. For all I know, though, the flavor has been monkeyed around with several times over the years. In any case, this is an inexpensive, 'get what you pay for' kind of beer that is drinkable in a pinch. No one buys this stuff expecting Rochefort 10.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 21, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

Pale straw gold color with a 1/4" white head with big fizzy bubbles. The head settles to a cap. Lots of carbonation. Good lace.

Sweet grainy aroma and some floral hops.

Taste is sweet, somewhat sugary. Floral character. Light honey. Slightly medicinal flavor.

Medium mouthfeel, high carbonation. Quick finish..

Smooth and easy to drink. Decent macro-style cream ale.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Oct 01, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

poured a medium amber color with monstrous white puffy that fell to a thin coating that lasted throughout the glass. Taste is light and refeshing with a slight dryness. Aftertaste is also a bit dry and makes you want more. Easy to drink. Not at all bad for a cheap beer.

tgbljb, Jul 29, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is over carbonated and overall not impressive. It is a weak attempt at a cream with a bland flavor and definite macro impression. The aroma is mediocre with a grainy presence that dominates the beer as a whole. This one is no better than a american macro from st.louis or milwaukee.

hoffman, Jul 27, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -4%

This is a beer for good times, when you know you'll be drinking a bunch of beer, and don't necessarily want to pay for craft brews. I have to tell one quick story before the review: My fav memory of this beer is a few years back. One night a friend of mine had had quite a few cream ales, and then deicided it would be a good idea to start whipping them around, at targets, mostly people. These were full beers we're talkin' here. I ended up with the most awesome bruise ever: an indent of a Genny Cream Ale right in my side. It lasted for a while, and I was proud. That being said, on to the review.
This stuff actually isn't bad for a macro. I'm not gonna lie, it stayed in the can, but I'll make an educated guess at the appearance: Light golden, almost yellow color, way too many bubbles, and a pretty non-existent head, unless you're getting it from a keg, in which half your cup would be a foamy mess. The taste actually is a little bit creamy, which I like. It's not just beer flavored water. Almost, but not quite. Definately some adjuncts in there however. Mouthfeel is actually fairly medium bodied for a macro, decent. Pretty easy to drink a bunch of these and not be totally offended by the taste. Definately a below average beers, but when you place it next to something like Bud or Coors, this one would be my pick. And they make a hell of a projectile...

twelvsies, Jul 18, 2005
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.