Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
skenyon1811

3.43/5  rDev +13.6%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A friend gave me a sixer of this for my birthday. A swell guy that's for sure.

A: Crystal clear with a yellow straw tint to it. I like that this is a clear yellow brew that is not neon yellow, makes me feel better about drinking it. About a half inch of head that fell quick but left a thin layer.

S: Slightly sweet smell with a corn or grainy hint to it. A little bit of a boozy smell too. Nothing that great.

D: Sweet malt with a quick bite of bitterness. Slight corn or grain taste, not exactly sure. Has a little acidic after taste. I like this beer, it does not have that skunky taste like a lot of light american beers.

M: Light to medium body, Perfectly carbonated for this style. It has a little sting from the carbonation but nothing terrible.

D: If I want to put back a few this is an excellent beer. This is one of my go to beers if I plan on having a long night. I also light to support locals.

01-20-2011 22:51:01 | More by skenyon1811
techfed87

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a big, frothy head. Color is dark yellow. Smell is malty, yet slightly sweet.

First sip is pretty nice. Very smooth and drinkable. Flavors, while not breathtaking, are fairly interesting in their own regard.

A pretty good budget beer, try it sometime!

01-17-2011 02:39:54 | More by techfed87
LuthersLager

2.78/5  rDev -7.9%

So we even review this beer? I recently homebrewed a cream ale. I'm not a fan of the style, but many family members like American macrobrewed swill, so I thought I would homebrew them something they might enjoy for the holidays. Let's face it, your average Busch Light drinker isn't going to be drinking 3 or 4 pints of my homebrewed Michigan maple porter or apricot hefeweizen.

So I purchased one Genesee Cream Ale to compare an American cream ale with my homebrewed version. Why Genesee and not some microbrewed cream ale you ask? Well Genesee is the World Beer cup champion according to the image on their can (sarcasm)... it was the only cream ale my local beer store had in stock.

In all fairness I did not use corn or rice in my homebrew as I imagine Genesee probably does. I did however pasteurize a mason jar full of a buddies local honey and threw that into the fermenter. So I have fully disclosed some obvious ingredient differences.

They look almost identical, mine is maybe a point darker on the SRM scale. Genesee did kick my butt on head though (I better check my CO2 level in my corny keg). My cream ale smells malty like a beer should, Genesee had that corn smell known in the macrobrewed styles.

Taste, I don't love either one. Genesee if very clean though. I need some chips or pretzels just to get through the beer. Mine is more earthy, maybe because of the honey or a little residual grain.

mouthfeel, I assume this style is suppose to have a water like texture and both mine and Genesee do. Much more carbonation in the Genesee, which I assume is right since the won the World Beer Cup ;)

Drinkability - where can I pour it out at?

01-09-2011 21:28:42 | More by LuthersLager
jadpsu

Georgia

3.13/5  rDev +3.6%

Had not had a Genny Cream Ale since the 70's. Wow!
Appearance is a clear, pale gold. It does pour a decent head and has some genuinely good lacing.

Smell: Faint grains and some wet earthy tones.
I get a little skunk in the taste. I have a feeling that this was some dead inventory in the place that I purchased it at as this 12 pack of Cream Ale was orphaned on the shelf. So it could be old, has no best before date.

Taste: Nothing significant. Typical inexpensive macro, very average. I also pick up a little alcohol taste.
mouthfeel: A little thick on the tongue and I get the creamy effect.

Drinkable, dry finish.

01-08-2011 00:16:01 | More by jadpsu
joepais

Maine

3.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks again Santa Adam for a brew I most likely would have never bought so not have had a chance to try. I poured this into a Sam Adams glass and was greeted with a great three finger white fluffy head on top of a clear golden yellow body. I got a lot of sweet malts coming from the nose with a light floral hop note there as well. It was sweet and crisp in my mouth with a light bitter finish. It had a light mouthfeel and great carbonation. It was really easy to drink I cold have had a few more. For the price I see on six packs I think its not bad but I like Narragansett as a local favorite better for a cheap drinking beer.

12-27-2010 18:17:13 | More by joepais
Stoutman88

2.83/5  rDev -6.3%

24 ounce can poured into new mug I got for Xmas.

A - Kind of dull golden color, good head and rising bubbles compensates for lack in color.

S - Grains and adjunct present, nothing stand out.

T - Sweetness with lack of character. Sort of like sweetened beer. Very faint kiss of hops.

M - Carbonation is sufficient. Body light and thin.

D - Easy to drink. No hard flavors to deal with.

Notes: What do you buy when all the good beer stores are closed on Xmas? Go to the gas station. This is better than your basic BMC beer, but is very reminiscent of it.

12-26-2010 06:22:48 | More by Stoutman88
flexabull

2.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Can tasted blind courtesy of KimR, thanks again!

Pours a bright and clear yellow color with a nice big white head.

Aromas are light a really light lager. Creamy, bready, and what is this... Skunkiness?

Taste is sweet, with some corn, creamy, and with a mineral water like bitterness. Crisp and pretty clean and dry onthe finish. This tastes like an adjunct lager. Not a bad one, but not a goodone either.

Mouthfeel is decent, thick for the style, but feels like it needs more carbonation.

Drinkability is so so, decent refreshing lager I think... But it's certainly not one I would revisit.

12-24-2010 06:27:25 | More by flexabull
WeezyBoPeep

3.78/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Budget day Thursday beer.

A: Clear golden with a nice, soda head. Good retention for a beer of this style. Lacing too. Impressed so far.

S: When I stick my nose into a beer this cheap, I am looking for anything offensive. I don't find anything here. I get a corny nose, a little crackery malt, honey and light yeast. Almost ALMOST reminds me of a pale wheat ale.

T: Right along with the smell, there is nothing offensive here. Not too sweet, but sweet in the middle. The front is creamy and smooth. Perfect carbonation. Hints of yeast and honey on the finish. Most of all, nothing metallic. How much was this beer again?

D: Almost a 5.

Value: You'll be searching for a long time to find a beer that can beat this one for FOUR BUCKS a six pack. Great choice when you're waitin on pay day.

12-16-2010 20:04:49 | More by WeezyBoPeep
7beerphil

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +48%

Drank this one straight from the 40oz bottle, purchased for about $2.00! Can't see the brew, so I'll rate the label as "good."

Smells slightly malty and hoppy. No offensive smells at all!

Tastes pretty darn good, I can see why this is a medal winner! Very smooth, good malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel, just the right amount of CO2. Not harsh at all. Very drinkable! One of the easiest 40's to down. I would like to try this again, especially if I can find it on tap. What a value!

12-12-2010 19:56:51 | More by 7beerphil
glid02

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

On-tap at the Square Pub in Atlanta.

Pours a clear straw color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with moderate amounts of sweet adjuncts. Also present are mild amounts of earthy hops and faint hints of sulfur.

Tastes more adjunct-laden than it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by sweet adjunct flavors. The adjuncts fade out a bit midway through the sip and hints of earthy and leafy hop flavors turn things slightly toward the bitter side, carrying through to a moderately bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall the first sip of this was easily the worst but as I became accustomed to the flavors I found it to be quite palatable. Obviously not worth seeking out but not a terrible beer for the style.

12-12-2010 00:24:25 | More by glid02
SickGnar

3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

A: A very clear and pale golden yellow with lots of bubbles, a decent foamy head, and some lacing.

S: Faint and clean. Some grainy sweetness, the barest hint of a vague malty impression, and maybe a ghost of floral hops.

T: Like the nose but a touch more fruity. Grainy sweetness takes on a corn / adjunct character with just a hint of additional malty sweetness form maybe some pilsner or light crystal. Hops balance okay and though not very robust do come across as both lightly earthy and floral. Gets a bit husky grain in the finish.

M: Medium-light body with firm CO2 - almost fizzy, especially for lighter body.

D: Another anodyne thirst quencher. But then it is a cream ale. Both similar to and different from BMC. It does have a touch more flavor, both in amplitude and complexity.

12-10-2010 22:32:26 | More by SickGnar
GallowsThief

2.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured out of a 22 oz can into a standard pilsner glass.

A - Pale, golden straw color. Poured about a 2 inch head that dissipates quickly. Really no lacing to be had.

S - Really nothing to the smell. Maybe a bit of grain and that's about it.

T - Just has a nice bit of sweetness. Has a touch of honey taste.

M - Nice creamy, smooth mouth feel. Light with a good bit of carbonation.

D - Sure. Listen its Genesee so it is what it is. It's a decent beer for drinking and a good price. I would grab one way before Bud/Coors. Its not a Duvel but its good for bbq's. It brought me back 25 years to my 18 year old time grabbing em out of my fathers frig.

12-07-2010 23:28:16 | More by GallowsThief
StJamesGate

3.33/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours white gold with loose, fast-fading froth - almost looks like a Kolsch. Sour lagery grain nose. Sweet, honey granola malts and mild noble spice. Prickly linger. Round and medium.

A bit more body and sweetness is just enough to push it past BMC standards. Not a great beer or a style exemplar, but drinkable when it's there.

12-06-2010 22:37:17 | More by StJamesGate
lovindahops

3.33/5  rDev +10.3%

Well, if your pressed for cash on a football evening in cuse... Grab some labatt and genny. Let's call it local macro support here in cuse

A- that adjunct golden clear look with a head of foam on the brew. Looks like a bud and that scares me! Ahhhh!

S- rice and some spice. That was expected and unexpected for the scent. That adjuct flavor is still there

T- there is that differentiation that everyone preaches with genny cream. There is some dry flavor and presence of fruit that is then mingled with the expected adjunct of rice. There are attributes of cream as well

M- creamy and slightly carbonated

D- look I am a local guy... For an adjunct macro brew that is produced 100 miles west... I can run with genny cream. Not bad!

12-06-2010 00:12:33 | More by lovindahops
mralphabet

2.93/5  rDev -3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear and yellow, about a finger worth of head that settled to nothing with little lacing.

S: Little grainy & grassy.... hint of sweet malt and spicy hops.

T: Citrus fruit over malt, with a hint of hop bitterness mid palette and ends with very little aftertaste.

M: Strange, crisp carbonation little sharp and gets smooth and creamy as is warms a little.

D: Pretty low ABV, so it is session able but not that much going on.... not bad but not great.

11-23-2010 06:21:12 | More by mralphabet
thedoubler55

2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Golden orangey color, no lacing.

S: Not to much smell, maybe a hint of wheats

T: Taste is nothing overbearing, still don't understand why this is a cream ale

M: Some carbonation thats noticeable on the pour, not to much of a mouthfell tho

T: This was just a one time try type of thing, I probably will never have this beer again. Not to much taste or refreshing.

11-19-2010 19:19:58 | More by thedoubler55
huxcrunner

2.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Two fingers of white head that fades fast, lower carbination, very light straw yellow color

No major strong aromas, very small hint of hops and malt but really nothing special

Taste is light no bite to it no different flavors very average

Light and clean mouthfeel

For the price of this beer it isn't a bad choice but certainly not my favorite, if you are looking for something differennt to your normal beer and are short on cash this couod be a alright one to try

11-14-2010 00:55:29 | More by huxcrunner
weizenbob

3.18/5  rDev +5.3%

I picked up Genesee's new 24 ounce can for $.99 at the local Shop-N-Save. Roughly a 12 ounce pour into a pint glass. A very small head forms and quickly (and audibly) fizzles away. The beer is a light honey color and carbonation appears very active.

The scent carries far, no doubt from the insane amount of carbonation coming off this thing. It has the scent of a honey lager, which is to say 'sweet Budweizer'. There is an unexpected hop aroma faintly rising to the top of the sugar heap. This could get interesting.

Hmm, what to make of this? It tastes primarily of adjunct lager which has me quite confused since the name of the brew convinced me I'd be drinking a cheap ale. I read somewhere that some cream ales are bottle conditioned with a touch of lager yeast; I can only assume this is the process Genessee employs for its cream ale. It tastes strongly of adjunct grains and is very sweet with a really watery finish. I swear I'm drinking an adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel is slightly fuller than a typical macro lager, but pretty light none-the-less. It's not offensive, but it's not lighting me on fire either. The high level of carbonation cuts the smoothness and is a bit of a turnoff.

I got through the rest of the can without any problem so the drinkability is there if you're into this sort of thing. If given limited options I might grab this again. The price is certainly right.

11-01-2010 02:37:06 | More by weizenbob
morken78

Tennessee

3.23/5  rDev +7%

Disclaimer: The first problem with this beer was that it had aged in a can on its side on the bedroom of my girlfriend's bedroom, leftover from Bonnaroo. (Also, this is my first review, so I need you pros to tell me what for!)

Its appearance is typical of a lager, especially in the style of major domestic lagers such as Budweiser, etc. It was yellow and fizzy.

The smell reminded me of the corn that was in it, very mediocre.

Its taste was simple, a bit flat, for reasons above most likely.

The mouthfeel can be the most important part of a beer, and this beer was lacking. Which leads to what I think causes the best drink-ability. If you can enjoy the mouthfeel, its drink-ability will be consistent. I drank it quickly, wanting nothing more then to get it out of the glass so I could poor a Sweetwater IPA.

10-29-2010 18:23:21 | More by morken78
StoutyMcStouters

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

My first review, so please bear with me.

When I first picked up this beer I was not expecting much for the cheap price of $14.99 per 30 pack and the fact that is was hidden away in the corner of the store.

Appearance: After pouring it into the small stange I was met with a two finger head and a delightful looking golden yellow color.

Smell: Has a slight smell of corn, very malty and was a bit stronger than I had expected.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Really lives up to the cream ale title, very smooth. The taste was slightly metallic and reminded me of corn and straw. Aftertaste is pleasant and was very grainy.

Drinkability: Highly carbonated(this works in favor of the beer) and very refreshing. Great for hot summer days.

I really enjoy finding a cheap beer with this much character, at least get it a try, I am glad I did!

10-18-2010 00:44:13 | More by StoutyMcStouters
HalfFull

3.58/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Genesee pours a medium straw in color with a half inch of somewhat resilient head and tosses off some decent lacing. The retention and lacing is solid actually.

Nose is intriguing but neutral as some grains linger with a soapy hop note and a distinctive lager like feel. Bit of orange comes and goes. Flavor is full and with a modicum of layers and a hint of corn syrup.

Feel is full with a pleasant carbonation and a feel of sweetness that isn't really there. Thus the creaminess though the style is a bit aside. An enjoyable brew actually, a bit sweet when flat, a bit of intriging grain otherwise.

10-16-2010 06:21:05 | More by HalfFull
TheKingofWichita

The beer is a classic as far as I believe. Its not a horrible beer, but not something that I would drink often.
Pours a pale yellowish color with a white head and some decent lacing. Smells creamy and malty and somewhat old. Tastes of cream of wheat, and mild malt. Too sweet. Mouthfeel is nice and drinkability is quite good.

10-14-2010 15:39:13 | More by TheKingofWichita
Lauthaha

3.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Definitely has some of the best head retention around. Beer is a genuine straw color (perhaps a touch on the gold side) with medium-high carbonation. Very clear throughout. Head recedes slowly and leaves thick lacing on the glass. It certainly looks appetizing.

Smell: Pretty nice! A malty offering with just a touch of corn to back it up. Light floral aroma to it as well, no detectable bitterness with just a few mild ethanol notes.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Definitely creamy, the carbonation is quite active. Taste is a touch dry, without any real hop action, but there is a pungent bitterness (probably stemming from some adjuncts) which detracts from the quality here. Without the corn, it would have easily been a 4.5.

Drinkability: Despite the less than awesome taste, this beer is light enough and interesting enough to warrant another try --- some day.

I bought this because 24 ounce cans from this brewery were 5 for $5 at my local beer store. For the price, you really can't do much better.

10-14-2010 00:09:05 | More by Lauthaha
GoldenChild

3.95/5  rDev +30.8%

Golden beer with a very visable carbonation that leaves a patchy head.

Sweet malt all over the nose, some alcohol and hop, too.

Honey-ish malt flavor up front with a light mouthfeel. Hops are present in a lightly citrusy bitterness feel the end of the brew. Acohol is present, in a sweet way. The beer finishes with a creamy feel that is rather dry.

Refreshing beer. I won't fo out of my way to get another, but a six pack is wonderful on a hot summer day.

10-13-2010 00:35:56 | More by GoldenChild
Augustiner719

3.2/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 24oz can into a .5l stein

Pours a very clear yellow color with a fluffy 2 finger head and leaving nice lacing. Typical American adjunct and Munich helles lager appearance. The aroma is sweet malts with some fresh grassy notes. Not hop aromas, maybe a slight bitterness on the nose. The flavor has a bitterness that doesn't suggest creaminess to me. Overall is comparable to a regular American adjunct lager. I am not sure if this is a blend but it has that lager mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. What this beer lacks is a lightness that makes this easy to put a couple away. May e it's from the ingredients, I don't know, but I do like this better than the typical bmc products out there.

10-09-2010 19:09:52 | More by Augustiner719
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.