Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a very clear golden colour with a nice head that quickly dissipates. Toasty malt sweetness and adjuncts rule the nose. The taste on this is relatively pleasant! There's not too much here, just a bit of that toasty malt sweetness, corn, and just a touch of creaminess. It's just a solid, "beery" beer. Tastes best cold! The mouthfeel is smooth and actually has a nice drying effect on the tongue, and the drinkability is absolutely superb. The 24oz can was absolutely no problem to finish off.

For 99 cents a can, this is probably one of the best values going. Seriously, why are people making a big fuss over Big Flats when you can get the same amount of Genny Cream for the same price? For the style and the price, this is honestly an exceptional brew.

shand, Feb 17, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 24 oz aluminum can into a pint glass, Genesee Cream Ale is a deep golden-yellow color with a creamy white head. The nose is malty sweet, lightly fruity and fairly strong with adjuncts. The flavor is similar to the nose; lightly fruity with a malt/adjunct grain finish, hops only to balance and even that is on the light side. Carbonation is creamy but the beer itself is incredibly light and goes down smooth. Overall, a drinkable beer - very economical too, this 24 oz can cost me $.99!

gmfessen, Feb 16, 2011
3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

can poured into my mug. clear yellow appearance with inch of quickly residing suds to a thin ring. lots of carbonation rising

smells faintly like malty, creamy, corn

ok taste, a little creamed corn and a malty backbone like above smell. however there is an acidic aftertaste takes away from this beer or else i would have actully gave it a 4. certainly more enjoyable than your regular swill and its a dollar or two cheaper.

light to medium bodied with a pleasant smoothness. not too much carbonation bite as i was expecting, and i like that.

slightly above average drinkability, and the key factor here is 15 dollar = 30 geney cream cans

guitarsnbeer, Feb 13, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

I saw this 24oz. can for $0.99 and figured, "what the hell".

A: Pretty much light amber in color with anorange tinge. The head is almost pure white and thin and soapy. Sticks around for a few seconds.

S: Not much going on but to me, in an ajunct lager thats a good thing. The less offensive the better. Theres some grainy sweetness and the smallest amount of floral hop.

T: Like i said with the nose. Its very unoffensive. Again, some sweet grain and light corn notes. The floral is there and some breadiness.

M: Not as watery as BMC or as overly carbonated making it much easier to drink. Refreshing and suprisingly easy to drink.

Overall: One of the better Adjunct lagers. And you cant beat the price. For what it is it's not half bad.

BigMike, Feb 12, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Cheap. Drinkable. And I guess you can consider it local. I would go for one of these again, doesn't taste as good as say a Coors Banquet but still decent. Has a bit more flavor, not in a good way, but there is a hint of cream which on the other hand is nice. I would rank it better than Bud and Coors Light for sure, better overall taste.

iRoy, Feb 09, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

I have a tradition. On Super Bowl Sunday I go to Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo to pick up some original Chicken Wings. While waiting for my order I enjoyed a nice Genny Cream because I thought it would make the experience most authentic. The Ale had a very pleasant bright yellow appearance. Its bouquet was subtle. It was very refreshing to drink served ice cold. It is certainly different from the more complex beers I've been samplind lately, yet I really enjoyed it for what it was.

equinox, Feb 06, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

Found a 24 oz can of this for 89 cents !
This is my first try after hearing so much about it from east coast beer hounds.
Pours a bright golden color with a burst of fizz that quickly dispurses.
Smell is like any budget brand beer.
I like the flavor and mouthfeel. I taste some sweet corn, some hops, it's your basic mild tasting, medium strength beer. I enjoy beer of this general style just as long as they don't bite me back and after downing 24 ozs in short order I'm here to say that this is pretty good beer.

industrialswill, Feb 01, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

.99c can from Whole Foods just because I forgot what it tasted like.

Just got done with a bigger beer, so I expect this to rightly leave me less then satisfied, but continuing on that familiar path.

Rounded pint glass. Shiny, gold, active brew. Four fingers of lather.

Smells like steeped grains, minor fruit phenols, aluminum & a touch of table sugar.

Odd flash of plastic/clove laced malt in front. Overall taste is very much like soggy white bread. Crust is nicely toasted. No butter. Crispy lettuce. Barely a touch of acidity. Good bubbly. Frothy. More & more cracker through the finish. Pretty clean, that deserves something.

You can do better, but it's nice filler I think.

PEBKAC, Jan 29, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -11%

I had heard about this beer on a couple of craft beer podcasts. I was quite excited to see it in a local liquor store in Minnesota. A little disappointed.
An average beer appearance, not quite Bud light but close.
Not a big aroma, maybe a slight metalic scent.
Taste was bland, it does have a nice hint of sweetness.
I would call this an below average beer.

suretolose, Jan 29, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

Pouring a pale golden with creamy lacing, this has an adjunct scent up front, with maybe a trace of honey sweetness. The taste is smooth and malty, and sweeter than a traditional lager, but lighter in body than most ales. A decent, if unremarkable middle grounder for the craft beer-curious.

secondtooth, Jan 22, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +14%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A friend gave me a sixer of this for my birthday. A swell guy that's for sure.

A: Crystal clear with a yellow straw tint to it. I like that this is a clear yellow brew that is not neon yellow, makes me feel better about drinking it. About a half inch of head that fell quick but left a thin layer.

S: Slightly sweet smell with a corn or grainy hint to it. A little bit of a boozy smell too. Nothing that great.

D: Sweet malt with a quick bite of bitterness. Slight corn or grain taste, not exactly sure. Has a little acidic after taste. I like this beer, it does not have that skunky taste like a lot of light american beers.

M: Light to medium body, Perfectly carbonated for this style. It has a little sting from the carbonation but nothing terrible.

D: If I want to put back a few this is an excellent beer. This is one of my go to beers if I plan on having a long night. I also light to support locals.

skenyon1811, Jan 20, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a big, frothy head. Color is dark yellow. Smell is malty, yet slightly sweet.

First sip is pretty nice. Very smooth and drinkable. Flavors, while not breathtaking, are fairly interesting in their own regard.

A pretty good budget beer, try it sometime!

techfed87, Jan 17, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

So we even review this beer? I recently homebrewed a cream ale. I'm not a fan of the style, but many family members like American macrobrewed swill, so I thought I would homebrew them something they might enjoy for the holidays. Let's face it, your average Busch Light drinker isn't going to be drinking 3 or 4 pints of my homebrewed Michigan maple porter or apricot hefeweizen.

So I purchased one Genesee Cream Ale to compare an American cream ale with my homebrewed version. Why Genesee and not some microbrewed cream ale you ask? Well Genesee is the World Beer cup champion according to the image on their can (sarcasm)... it was the only cream ale my local beer store had in stock.

In all fairness I did not use corn or rice in my homebrew as I imagine Genesee probably does. I did however pasteurize a mason jar full of a buddies local honey and threw that into the fermenter. So I have fully disclosed some obvious ingredient differences.

They look almost identical, mine is maybe a point darker on the SRM scale. Genesee did kick my butt on head though (I better check my CO2 level in my corny keg). My cream ale smells malty like a beer should, Genesee had that corn smell known in the macrobrewed styles.

Taste, I don't love either one. Genesee if very clean though. I need some chips or pretzels just to get through the beer. Mine is more earthy, maybe because of the honey or a little residual grain.

mouthfeel, I assume this style is suppose to have a water like texture and both mine and Genesee do. Much more carbonation in the Genesee, which I assume is right since the won the World Beer Cup ;)

Drinkability - where can I pour it out at?

LuthersLager, Jan 09, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +4%

Had not had a Genny Cream Ale since the 70's. Wow!
Appearance is a clear, pale gold. It does pour a decent head and has some genuinely good lacing.

Smell: Faint grains and some wet earthy tones.
I get a little skunk in the taste. I have a feeling that this was some dead inventory in the place that I purchased it at as this 12 pack of Cream Ale was orphaned on the shelf. So it could be old, has no best before date.

Taste: Nothing significant. Typical inexpensive macro, very average. I also pick up a little alcohol taste.
mouthfeel: A little thick on the tongue and I get the creamy effect.

Drinkable, dry finish.

jadpsu, Jan 08, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +9%

Thanks again Santa Adam for a brew I most likely would have never bought so not have had a chance to try. I poured this into a Sam Adams glass and was greeted with a great three finger white fluffy head on top of a clear golden yellow body. I got a lot of sweet malts coming from the nose with a light floral hop note there as well. It was sweet and crisp in my mouth with a light bitter finish. It had a light mouthfeel and great carbonation. It was really easy to drink I cold have had a few more. For the price I see on six packs I think its not bad but I like Narragansett as a local favorite better for a cheap drinking beer.

joepais, Dec 27, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -6%

24 ounce can poured into new mug I got for Xmas.

A - Kind of dull golden color, good head and rising bubbles compensates for lack in color.

S - Grains and adjunct present, nothing stand out.

T - Sweetness with lack of character. Sort of like sweetened beer. Very faint kiss of hops.

M - Carbonation is sufficient. Body light and thin.

D - Easy to drink. No hard flavors to deal with.

Notes: What do you buy when all the good beer stores are closed on Xmas? Go to the gas station. This is better than your basic BMC beer, but is very reminiscent of it.

Stoutman88, Dec 26, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

Can tasted blind courtesy of KimR, thanks again!

Pours a bright and clear yellow color with a nice big white head.

Aromas are light a really light lager. Creamy, bready, and what is this... Skunkiness?

Taste is sweet, with some corn, creamy, and with a mineral water like bitterness. Crisp and pretty clean and dry onthe finish. This tastes like an adjunct lager. Not a bad one, but not a goodone either.

Mouthfeel is decent, thick for the style, but feels like it needs more carbonation.

Drinkability is so so, decent refreshing lager I think... But it's certainly not one I would revisit.

flexabull, Dec 24, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Budget day Thursday beer.

A: Clear golden with a nice, soda head. Good retention for a beer of this style. Lacing too. Impressed so far.

S: When I stick my nose into a beer this cheap, I am looking for anything offensive. I don't find anything here. I get a corny nose, a little crackery malt, honey and light yeast. Almost ALMOST reminds me of a pale wheat ale.

T: Right along with the smell, there is nothing offensive here. Not too sweet, but sweet in the middle. The front is creamy and smooth. Perfect carbonation. Hints of yeast and honey on the finish. Most of all, nothing metallic. How much was this beer again?

D: Almost a 5.

Value: You'll be searching for a long time to find a beer that can beat this one for FOUR BUCKS a six pack. Great choice when you're waitin on pay day.

WeezyBoPeep, Dec 16, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

Drank this one straight from the 40oz bottle, purchased for about $2.00! Can't see the brew, so I'll rate the label as "good."

Smells slightly malty and hoppy. No offensive smells at all!

Tastes pretty darn good, I can see why this is a medal winner! Very smooth, good malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Great mouthfeel, just the right amount of CO2. Not harsh at all. Very drinkable! One of the easiest 40's to down. I would like to try this again, especially if I can find it on tap. What a value!

7beerphil, Dec 12, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

On-tap at the Square Pub in Atlanta.

Pours a clear straw color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with moderate amounts of sweet adjuncts. Also present are mild amounts of earthy hops and faint hints of sulfur.

Tastes more adjunct-laden than it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by sweet adjunct flavors. The adjuncts fade out a bit midway through the sip and hints of earthy and leafy hop flavors turn things slightly toward the bitter side, carrying through to a moderately bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall the first sip of this was easily the worst but as I became accustomed to the flavors I found it to be quite palatable. Obviously not worth seeking out but not a terrible beer for the style.

glid02, Dec 12, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +3%

A: A very clear and pale golden yellow with lots of bubbles, a decent foamy head, and some lacing.

S: Faint and clean. Some grainy sweetness, the barest hint of a vague malty impression, and maybe a ghost of floral hops.

T: Like the nose but a touch more fruity. Grainy sweetness takes on a corn / adjunct character with just a hint of additional malty sweetness form maybe some pilsner or light crystal. Hops balance okay and though not very robust do come across as both lightly earthy and floral. Gets a bit husky grain in the finish.

M: Medium-light body with firm CO2 - almost fizzy, especially for lighter body.

D: Another anodyne thirst quencher. But then it is a cream ale. Both similar to and different from BMC. It does have a touch more flavor, both in amplitude and complexity.

SickGnar, Dec 10, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured out of a 22 oz can into a standard pilsner glass.

A - Pale, golden straw color. Poured about a 2 inch head that dissipates quickly. Really no lacing to be had.

S - Really nothing to the smell. Maybe a bit of grain and that's about it.

T - Just has a nice bit of sweetness. Has a touch of honey taste.

M - Nice creamy, smooth mouth feel. Light with a good bit of carbonation.

D - Sure. Listen its Genesee so it is what it is. It's a decent beer for drinking and a good price. I would grab one way before Bud/Coors. Its not a Duvel but its good for bbq's. It brought me back 25 years to my 18 year old time grabbing em out of my fathers frig.

GallowsThief, Dec 07, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours white gold with loose, fast-fading froth - almost looks like a Kolsch. Sour lagery grain nose. Sweet, honey granola malts and mild noble spice. Prickly linger. Round and medium.

A bit more body and sweetness is just enough to push it past BMC standards. Not a great beer or a style exemplar, but drinkable when it's there.

StJamesGate, Dec 06, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Well, if your pressed for cash on a football evening in cuse... Grab some labatt and genny. Let's call it local macro support here in cuse

A- that adjunct golden clear look with a head of foam on the brew. Looks like a bud and that scares me! Ahhhh!

S- rice and some spice. That was expected and unexpected for the scent. That adjuct flavor is still there

T- there is that differentiation that everyone preaches with genny cream. There is some dry flavor and presence of fruit that is then mingled with the expected adjunct of rice. There are attributes of cream as well

M- creamy and slightly carbonated

D- look I am a local guy... For an adjunct macro brew that is produced 100 miles west... I can run with genny cream. Not bad!

lovindahops, Dec 06, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear and yellow, about a finger worth of head that settled to nothing with little lacing.

S: Little grainy & grassy.... hint of sweet malt and spicy hops.

T: Citrus fruit over malt, with a hint of hop bitterness mid palette and ends with very little aftertaste.

M: Strange, crisp carbonation little sharp and gets smooth and creamy as is warms a little.

D: Pretty low ABV, so it is session able but not that much going on.... not bad but not great.

mralphabet, Nov 23, 2010
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.