Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

rAvg: 3
pDev: 20%
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

"Genny" Cream Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is pretty unremarkable. Has a bit of a cooked veggie adjunct smell to it...smattering of hops. Not all that much different from your typical macro.

The taste has a bit of a cooked veggie adjunct quality to it, along with a somewhat creamy lactose sweetness that helps to finish out the beer. There really aren't any hops I can detect here...not crisp at all.

I liked the creaminess...and it's definitely very drinkable. I wouldn't say that it's a top tier beer or anything but it's certainly better than other cheap beers at this price point. I mean 5.29 a 6 pack??

2.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A-Pours golden yellow with a slight bleach white head. Leaves lacing.

S-Sweet aroma. Rather mellow. Overall, a somewhat decent smell.

T-Has the standard macro feel, but a bit fuller and more depth. Has those generic tastes, but is sweeter. Not as watery or metallic.

M-This is where the cream comes into play. A good deal thicker than most beers found packaged in a 30.

O/D-I am a bit torn. If I am to purchase a 30-pack, I am clearly buying some rather low quality beer. If I am going to do this, I want to spend as little money as possible. This beer is very inexpensive. But, I have trouble drinking several of these. The flavor seems to be an upgrade from the rest, but after a few it gets much harder to drink. I could conceivably opt to purchase a more watered-down macro because I will at least be able to drink more than four.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Had to grab a second bottle o' this after the one I was gonna try was nicked by my girlfriend after she demeaned by homebrewed ESB. The nerve of some people, right? Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a finger of stark white foam. The nose comprises wheat, corn, and a touch of sweet flowers. The taste bases itself on this successful novel, but the director went too damn avant-garde with it, resulting in a campy, Hackers-like hard water flavor dousing the whole production and a sad excuse for an opening pull. Those poor investors...and to to think they'd just gotten over the calamity of Insidious... The body is a light with pretensions of heft, with a very light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty okay cream ale, but that hard water flavor ruins things a bit too much for my liking. Still, it somehow retains a good amount of its drinkability, so, though I don't think I'll be grabbing a case o' this any time soon, I won't spit on someone if they offer it to me later on.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

Genesee Cream Ale is a typical "Cheap" beer in every way. It has a typical head that pours thick and dissipates quickly. It smells like every cheap beer that I've ever smelled, smells like. I think it's corn and grain. The taste is a little better than other cheap beers because it does taste creamy. Oddly enough I don't get a creamy mouth feel, just a typical fizzy bubbly feel. Overall this beer is average. It's drinkable and for $1.00 it's worth a try.

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Genesee's Cream Ale from 24oz can into standard 16oz pint. Pours golden straw color, with a fizzy white head that doesnt stick around for long. smells like grains, corn, and a bit of musk. Tastes pretty good to be such a cheap offering. Light malts, a bit of steamed veggies, corn husks, and a strange lactose like presense. Mouthfeel is soft and mellow as the can indicates, almost silky. Overall I like this beer and will get a few more to have around, hopefully they will drop these in 30pk 12oz cans near my house, I would honestly drop my Milwaukee's Best Ice for this one. Cheers!

3.21/5  rDev +7%

I picked up a 6 pack of this today on a whim. 16oz cans, six of em for 4.99 now that's value. I've bought 7oz bottles for more than that. Anyhow, this beer is one of the first that my dad shared with me many many years ago, and a few years before I was legal. Pours a bright crystal clear light golden color with a fluffy white head that slowly recedes to a cap. Smells like creamed corn, slightly sweet grainy aroma with a hint of floral hops. Taste is a sweet grainy with hints of apple and maybe some floral hops if I close my eyes and think about it a bit. Watery/creamy mouthfeel, medium to thin body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Certainly nothing earth shattering here, but nothing really offensive either.

4.6/5  rDev +53.3%

one of the best I have had from this brewery. Golden color with a medium head. Smell of corn and cream. Tastes very smooth. Mouthful is very smooth and creamy. Drinkabilty is wonderful. A 6.99 a six pack this beer is a really good steal. Would recommend this beer for you average joe

2.96/5  rDev -1.3%

24 oz. Can poured into a pint glass.

Head just explodes on the pour. Nice creamy looking head. Light golden color which looks like your typical macro color. The head is what saves this. Also foamy lacing sticking to the glass.

I get a soapy buttery grain aroma with some kind of fruity smell. Nothing special at all.

Okay, the taste is not nearly as bad as the smell is. This is quite a decent taste. Grain, bread, corn and sugar. This has a very smooth taste and all the ingredients work well together.

Feels like an average beer in the mouth. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

This is a good cheap beer to have a lot of. Decent taste, body and feel. This is better than the other macros for sure.

Can't go wrong with a 24 ounce can for 95 cents. Not a horrible beer and far from the worse. This is an excellent summer beer to have a lot of with friends.

3.32/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a typical clear amber, but it least it has a fairly thick and somewhat persistent white head. Aroma is malty and slightly fruity, nothing special but at least it's OK. Flavor is crisp and malty with just a bit of fruity sweetness, nothing special but still enjoyable. Texture is fairly smooth and fizzy. This is better as a party beer, or as an accompaniment to a meal, than a stand-alone drink, but it's still all right.

3.34/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks woody!

Aroma is crisp and adjucty. Lagery, corny sweetness abounds. Nothing too pleasant.

Aroma aside, I kinda liked the taste. There was a pleasant airy cream taste that complemented and to me, made the plain-jane lager tastes much better. Light sweetness, and a hint of hops. Surprisingly damn-decent.

Had a nice velvety, creamy feel. Carbonation was night and the weight was easy and light.

Cant argue with the drinkability on this one. I'd tear these up in the summer, and the creamy, light feel makes me feel less guilty about drinking something like this.

3.42/5  rDev +14%

From the 16 fl. oz. can no. 3350-07. Sampled on March 4, 2011. The pour is a straw yellow with a fizzy, foamy, long-lasting white head. The aroma is moderate in malts, adjuncts, and even a bit of yeast but low in hops. The taste has this slight yeastiness believe it or not with a hint of bitter hops during the finale. This is one of my favorite classic macros. Of course this would not be high on a craft beer enthusiast's want list but it refreshes just the same.

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

5$ dollar fills at consumers and even came with a cool Genesee Cream Ale Growler...a absolute steal! Poured into a 16 oz pint glass.

A- Crystal clear yellow gold. Frothy white head that stays and laces the edges of the glass.

S- Malts, sweet grains.

T- Sweet malts, grains, corn rice etc. But all very sweet and mix well.

M- Light, Medium carb.

D- Im good for a few of these, its a nice change once in a while esp for the price but hard to get through more than a few with out becoming bored very bored.

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Clear and golden yellow in color with a slightly amber tinge, and foamy white head that quickly dissipates. Just judging from the bubbles that float up through this beer its plain to see it is going to be carbonated around the same level of a macro lager/light lager. Leaves behind just a hint of lacing.

The nose is similar to a macro lager, corn, grains, and little more. But smelling this brew a few more times and really focusing in on it you can detect some more to it, the nose reveals whats to come in the taste in terms of body and maltiness

Overall I really like the taste of this, its subtle but sweet, not very strong in any one aspect and quite balanced all in all. I can taste some hops in this for sure and it goes just right with the toasted malt and sweet corn flavors.

Very carbonated as I had already anticipated, but still fairly easy on the tongue and crisp and in the Finnish. It is a little bit syrupy feeling, though.

This beer is a session beer in my book, I enjoyed it a lot. It's notably heavier in body than a light beer and about the same compared to a lager, only it has some depth that you just don't get out of the big three and in in other macro lagers. This beer is the only cream ale that I've had up to now, but judging by my impressions from it this is a style for me. I'll definitely be on the lookout for other cream ales to try in the future.

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Had this on tap at Anchor Bar in Buffalo. Comes to the table pale yellow without any head whatsoever. No lacing on the glass. Smells like watered down corn syrup I think. Surprisingly high carbonation given there is no head. Carbonation this high makes it a bit hard to get the beer down. I'd rather most macro lagers over this I think.

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a very clear golden colour with a nice head that quickly dissipates. Toasty malt sweetness and adjuncts rule the nose. The taste on this is relatively pleasant! There's not too much here, just a bit of that toasty malt sweetness, corn, and just a touch of creaminess. It's just a solid, "beery" beer. Tastes best cold! The mouthfeel is smooth and actually has a nice drying effect on the tongue, and the drinkability is absolutely superb. The 24oz can was absolutely no problem to finish off.

For 99 cents a can, this is probably one of the best values going. Seriously, why are people making a big fuss over Big Flats when you can get the same amount of Genny Cream for the same price? For the style and the price, this is honestly an exceptional brew.

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 24 oz aluminum can into a pint glass, Genesee Cream Ale is a deep golden-yellow color with a creamy white head. The nose is malty sweet, lightly fruity and fairly strong with adjuncts. The flavor is similar to the nose; lightly fruity with a malt/adjunct grain finish, hops only to balance and even that is on the light side. Carbonation is creamy but the beer itself is incredibly light and goes down smooth. Overall, a drinkable beer - very economical too, this 24 oz can cost me $.99!

3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

can poured into my mug. clear yellow appearance with inch of quickly residing suds to a thin ring. lots of carbonation rising

smells faintly like malty, creamy, corn

ok taste, a little creamed corn and a malty backbone like above smell. however there is an acidic aftertaste takes away from this beer or else i would have actully gave it a 4. certainly more enjoyable than your regular swill and its a dollar or two cheaper.

light to medium bodied with a pleasant smoothness. not too much carbonation bite as i was expecting, and i like that.

slightly above average drinkability, and the key factor here is 15 dollar = 30 geney cream cans

2.63/5  rDev -12.3%

I saw this 24oz. can for $0.99 and figured, "what the hell".

A: Pretty much light amber in color with anorange tinge. The head is almost pure white and thin and soapy. Sticks around for a few seconds.

S: Not much going on but to me, in an ajunct lager thats a good thing. The less offensive the better. Theres some grainy sweetness and the smallest amount of floral hop.

T: Like i said with the nose. Its very unoffensive. Again, some sweet grain and light corn notes. The floral is there and some breadiness.

M: Not as watery as BMC or as overly carbonated making it much easier to drink. Refreshing and suprisingly easy to drink.

Overall: One of the better Adjunct lagers. And you cant beat the price. For what it is it's not half bad.

2.81/5  rDev -6.3%

Cheap. Drinkable. And I guess you can consider it local. I would go for one of these again, doesn't taste as good as say a Coors Banquet but still decent. Has a bit more flavor, not in a good way, but there is a hint of cream which on the other hand is nice. I would rank it better than Bud and Coors Light for sure, better overall taste.

4.1/5  rDev +36.7%

I have a tradition. On Super Bowl Sunday I go to Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo to pick up some original Chicken Wings. While waiting for my order I enjoyed a nice Genny Cream because I thought it would make the experience most authentic. The Ale had a very pleasant bright yellow appearance. Its bouquet was subtle. It was very refreshing to drink served ice cold. It is certainly different from the more complex beers I've been samplind lately, yet I really enjoyed it for what it was.

3.56/5  rDev +18.7%

Found a 24 oz can of this for 89 cents !
This is my first try after hearing so much about it from east coast beer hounds.
Pours a bright golden color with a burst of fizz that quickly dispurses.
Smell is like any budget brand beer.
I like the flavor and mouthfeel. I taste some sweet corn, some hops, it's your basic mild tasting, medium strength beer. I enjoy beer of this general style just as long as they don't bite me back and after downing 24 ozs in short order I'm here to say that this is pretty good beer.

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%

.99c can from Whole Foods just because I forgot what it tasted like.

Just got done with a bigger beer, so I expect this to rightly leave me less then satisfied, but continuing on that familiar path.

Rounded pint glass. Shiny, gold, active brew. Four fingers of lather.

Smells like steeped grains, minor fruit phenols, aluminum & a touch of table sugar.

Odd flash of plastic/clove laced malt in front. Overall taste is very much like soggy white bread. Crust is nicely toasted. No butter. Crispy lettuce. Barely a touch of acidity. Good bubbly. Frothy. More & more cracker through the finish. Pretty clean, that deserves something.

You can do better, but it's nice filler I think.

2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

I had heard about this beer on a couple of craft beer podcasts. I was quite excited to see it in a local liquor store in Minnesota. A little disappointed.
An average beer appearance, not quite Bud light but close.
Not a big aroma, maybe a slight metalic scent.
Taste was bland, it does have a nice hint of sweetness.
I would call this an below average beer.

3.57/5  rDev +19%

Pouring a pale golden with creamy lacing, this has an adjunct scent up front, with maybe a trace of honey sweetness. The taste is smooth and malty, and sweeter than a traditional lager, but lighter in body than most ales. A decent, if unremarkable middle grounder for the craft beer-curious.

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A friend gave me a sixer of this for my birthday. A swell guy that's for sure.

A: Crystal clear with a yellow straw tint to it. I like that this is a clear yellow brew that is not neon yellow, makes me feel better about drinking it. About a half inch of head that fell quick but left a thin layer.

S: Slightly sweet smell with a corn or grainy hint to it. A little bit of a boozy smell too. Nothing that great.

D: Sweet malt with a quick bite of bitterness. Slight corn or grain taste, not exactly sure. Has a little acidic after taste. I like this beer, it does not have that skunky taste like a lot of light american beers.

M: Light to medium body, Perfectly carbonated for this style. It has a little sting from the carbonation but nothing terrible.

D: If I want to put back a few this is an excellent beer. This is one of my go to beers if I plan on having a long night. I also light to support locals.

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.