Genesee Cream Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.10% ABV

"Genny" Cream Ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Genesee Cream Ale Alström Bros
Maestro

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer is unique. I thought maybe the bottle would be better, but it was worse than the can. As for the appearance, it looks like the average American macro lager. The nose is sweeter and the taste is sweet, as well. The mouthfeel is bitey. The drinkabliity was low for me. I just couldn't get past the "cream". Mission accomplished.

08-06-2007 01:40:01 | More by Maestro
WillieMoe

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

'The Screamer" as it's affectionately known locally, is not a bad beer. It pours light gold, with light head and a bit of lacing. It'ssmell is a bit light, but it goes down smooth. You don't reall get a malty or hoppy taste about it. It's slightly better tahn most macros out there.

07-31-2007 03:11:43 | More by WillieMoe
allengarvin

2.8/5  rDev -7%

12-oz bottle into a 12-oz mug, this beer pours a clear apple-juice color with a head that disappears in seconds. Aroma is just a faint scent of grain. Sweet grainy malt makes up about the whole of the flavor. No yeast character to speak of, and bitterness is so low as to be nearly non-detectable. Body is thin and light.

The blandest of the bland ales. It's hard to see why this warrants an entire style of its own.

07-25-2007 03:19:21 | More by allengarvin
Skotrat

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +37.2%

You know, I am pretty much a beer snob. I like the high end micros and complain about bud miller or coors whenever I get the chance. Yet there is just something splendid about Genesee Cream Ale.

Whether I am drinking one in the dead of winter or the heat of summer I always find it to be an easy drinking example of the style.

When I could not find it locally I even cloned a homebrew recipe for it so that I could make it whenever I wanted.

I love this beer

07-13-2007 13:18:14 | More by Skotrat
Halcyondays

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Gold lagerish color, with white head, very good retention and some lacing, very nice.

S: Malty, bready smell, almost smells like a French baguette.

T: A little light, but a good solid maltiness, I'm having a hard time finding any trace of a hop.

M: Quite good, smooth, not too carbonated, goes down easy.

D: I was quite surprised, I wasn't expecting much, and I got a pretty decent beer. Probably not worth the $7.99 I paid for the sixer, but a good selection. A pretty nice beer, definitely a step above your average macro. To add after having a few, I'm still enjoying them, and they don't taste like shit when warm, I'm liking this.

07-09-2007 23:10:05 | More by Halcyondays
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

Well I gotta admit, the term Cream Ale has sort of thrown me for a while and left me kinda debating whether or not I really wanted to go there or not. I dont particularly know why it just did not seem that enticing to me. So I finally figured, I am a grown man and need to put my unfounded fears aside and give it the old college try. So I went and picked up a Genesee Cream Ale. I figured what the hell, and my dad said he swears by this beer so we shall see. The bottle was fairly plain, with an old fashioned type label, looked like something my dad may have drank 20 years ago. So lets see what we have here.

Poured the palest golden yellow I have ever seen. I mean, this made a Bud Light look like an amber boch! Big white fizzyhead quickly faded to absoloutly nothing, leaving behind no lace and only the subtlest of films across the top. Tons of carbonation streaming, almost non stop from the bottom of the glass. Almost looked like champagne or something, or a Mountain Dew in appearence would be the best way to describe it. Fairly unimpressed with the looks of this one so far, but I have learned that looks can be decieving, especially in the beer world, so I shall continue on...

The smell was well, not really there would be the best way to describe it. It was the faintest of grain smells, almost maybea corn quality to it. So very light though that it was barely noticeable. Perhaps it was a puffed rice smell, as it vaguely reminded me of rice crispies in what I could detect in the aroma. Unimpressed again here, and I am really not getting the best impression here.

So I dove in and went for a taste. First impression was well soda water. This is a fizzy mess. Tasted like you typical light lager, but with somewhat sour grape or a light corn or something else cant really place it in there. Not really very good. Very light in texture and feel. Hugely carbonated and almost non existent on the palate. This really reminded me of some kinda of soda, or what I would think a non alcoholic beer would taste like(haven't gone there yet). I am not really sure what else I can say as far as flavor, there is just not that much there.

Overall, blah. This was one of the more forgettable beers I have ever had, and I have had some that are just downright wrong. I would actually rather have a macro than this, there just was really nothing redeeming at all here for me. Maybe it is just this one ale, and not the style, but this was about as bland as bland can beer. I will easily pass on this if it ever crosses my path again.

07-09-2007 00:01:53 | More by mikesgroove
giblet

2.7/5  rDev -10.3%

Jenny Scream!!! my buddies dad would buy this and we would sneak it when we could. this is another pretty decent light lager. worth a try. good when served cold on a hot day.

good thirst quencher that actually has some body to it. it is not easy to find in ohio though.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

p.s. "Beer is proof that God loves man." Ben Franklin

07-04-2007 13:49:27 | More by giblet
Mdog

2.98/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Clear gold with a quickly fading head.

Smell: Light breadiness.

Taste: Smooth grain/bread flavor, not too sweet but no big hop notes.

Drinkability: Light enough to have several if warranted.

Picked up a single to try this one out. This is a beer that would be a good choice for a multiple beer session/alternative to the macros. That's probably why I've seen it in 40oz bottles.

07-04-2007 00:18:28 | More by Mdog
MrHungryMonkey

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

Light sweet pretty creamy malt caramel sweet. Light spicy hops, a little fruity. Well balanced.

Medium straw. Clear. Good head, but poor retention.

Clean light, light malty attack. Grainy warmth toasty floral hop mid. Clean finish. It is a little creamy with light malt character and lighter hop flavor. Medium-low bitterness. There is a touch of grainy adjunct taste but it's not too bad.

Thin body with medium-high carbonation. Feels pretty nice.

Light and crisp. Extremely refreshing with a surprisingly inoffensive taste. Great sessionability.

06-24-2007 03:38:24 | More by MrHungryMonkey
TuckerCarlson

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a can purchased in a refrigerated 12-pack purchased at Tops Friendly Markets into a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow with a thin, fizzy head. Basically no lacing.

Not much on the nose initially, but as it warms up it develops some...brown rice? With cotton candy bubblegum? Nothing strong, nothing wonderful, but certainly not unpleasant.

Think of a watered-down Sam Adams (not an inappropriate comparison when you consider that they came from the same facility, though it makes you question how well they clean the tanks) and you're pretty close. The taste is definitely down a notch, and the mouthfeel is noticeably thinner. Some malty sweetness goes back and forth with some yeasty sourness, but with a fairly clean finish. Kind of fizzy, but it fits the lighter style.

I'm well aware that others have argued the same before me, but I consider this beer to be a bit underrated. Triple the price and improve the product positioning, and I think Genny Cream Ale would fare better than it does.

This is not to say, of course, that Genny Cream Ale is in any way comparable to the more robust brews reviewed here; it is, however, a clear cut above the macro lagers found at a similar price point.

06-21-2007 08:40:50 | More by TuckerCarlson
musicjustintime

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

My first time trying Genny Cream. Don't know why it took me so long, but I finally gave it a chance, especially for $15.99/30 pk.

It's a decent beer, really. Very "creamy" on the tongue....a bit of a hop bite at the end, but nothing to speak of. (I'm not a "hop-head" like many out there, anyway.) Very little flavor to speak of either, but just enough to know you're having an American Macro on a hot Pennsylvania summer day.

I'd say it's a balanced beer, with just enough "hop" bitterness at the end to satisfy some of you hop-lovers...but doesn't stay on your tongue for too long, which I like. Very smooth and drinkable. I'd recommend it, especially for the price and good for a hot summer day. Plus, the ABV is over 5%, which isn't a bad thing either! Cheers, my friends!

06-20-2007 19:05:28 | More by musicjustintime
shadow1961

3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Genesee Cream Ale pours a fingers worth of foam over
a clear apple-juice colored brew. Carbonation is not that
active, but steady, though not enough to do more than keep
a ring of foam in the glass once the head subsides. The nose
is light malt and ale yeast. The flavor is slightly fruity malt up
front with a suggestion of herbal hop in the finish. The mouthfeel
is crisp yet a bit soft and round. There's nothing spectacular here,
it is what it is, a clean refreshing session brew- perfect for picnics,
hanging out on the porch, or even luring a macro drinker over
to something better.

06-20-2007 06:12:54 | More by shadow1961
session1979

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

Setting/Pairing: Got home today with a 6 pack under my arm and a delivery from Tampa at my door. I decided to pair this with a TS NO. 50 fresh from the bundle, my first time for both the cigar and beer. Got the camera and went out to the patio to find a pleasant 70 degree evening.

Appearance: Poured a light yellow with a 2 finger head.

Smell: Mildy sweet aroma with some noticeable grain on the nose. Again, not overwhelming but expected for this type of beer.

Taste: This is not your typical domestic beer flavored water, this actually has some flavor. Starts with a dry malt flavor, then the carbonation adds some bite. The finish shows some slight hoppy presence.

Mouthfeel: Light texture but coated the mouth well, the finish was quite refreshing.

Drinkability: Goes down easy with little alcoholic presence. Go for it, at $12.99 a 30 pack price isn't going to stop you.

Final Comments: When I went to my shop to pick this up today I was met by my beer guy who saw the 6 pack in my cart and asked what I was doing with that as it was far different then what I usually buy. I told him I had some friends on the east coast who suggested it and asked him what he knew about it, I'm glad I asked. He said that it was the first beer he ever had which surprised me so he told me the story.. "When I was a kid in the early 70's my dad would get home from work and head to the front porch with a Genesee Cream in one hand and a cheap cigar in the other. One day when I was 9 or 10 I asked him what it tasted like and he said "you tell me" and gave me a sip. It's a memory I will never forget." That pretty much summed up this beer for me, thanks for the recommendation guys.

06-14-2007 13:16:09 | More by session1979
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Pale yellow body is as clear as water. Pure white three quarter inch head faded over a minute. Slightly above average amount of carbonation rising.

Just average in strength of the malt. There is a blend I have come to associate as a blend of rice and corn. A deeper nose full also shows a very weak hops note.

Taste is extremely sweet blend of adjunct flavors and minor malt presence. Hops make no appearance in the taste. Aftertaste is mainly flavors of corn. Balance is average.

Super smooth beer on the tongue. Carbonation withers quickly in the mouth.

A decent offering. This on works well with any picnic food. A great choice to carry with you on the golf course on a hot day. Better then most of it's American lager counterparts for canned beer, save a few exceptions.

06-14-2007 05:35:59 | More by RedChrome
SaCkErZ9

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a golden straw color with a nice white head that recedes into a splotchy film on the surface. Fairly big bubbles jostle their way to the top and eventually die out.

Aroma, according to style, seems appropriate. Lager smelling with adjuncts thrown in. Seems like corn followed by rice followed my malt. Minimal hop aroma.

Again, okay for style, but not impressed with the flavor here. Very sweet in the front, followed by some husky grains and corn, and followed with some lingering malt liquor flavors.

Mouthfeel is dry and watery. The palate feels clean immediately but the aftertaste remains for quite a bit, imparting a cheap whiskey type feel. I am not sure I would recommend this. I would probably pick a typical macro like Bud over this, all stereotypes aside. Stylewise I suppose it is close, but I dont really like it. It was worth a try but this will be the last sixer I buy.

06-12-2007 21:31:34 | More by SaCkErZ9
MTNboy

Germany

3.25/5  rDev +8%

This is usually one that people love or hate; being in upstate NY most people love it. I would have be in the middle on this one. It is alright for the price. It is a little better than getting what you pay for.

Appearance- Golden yellow. A nice head at first but no staying power.

Smell- Faint with some mass produced smell.

Taste- I would have to go with balanced between hops and malt.

Mouthfeel. Easy going. It could be a casual dinner beer or a party beer

Drinkability- Good I like this one with a restaurant burger.

06-12-2007 19:37:02 | More by MTNboy
Durge

Connecticut

2.98/5  rDev -1%

Big bubbly white head that disappears quickly. Pale yellow liquid with medium carbonation. The aroma is not pretty to me, have to say it was a bit like something related to a bathroom. The flavor was fortunately a solid improvement over the aroma. The immediate sense was that of the creamy, malty goodness that I recall from college days in the 70's. Genny Cream was really the definition of what I like about cream ales although I have come to learn that the style may typically bring heartier concoctions then that. This newer version does not deliver quite the same level of creaminess I admired during those dorm life years. There is a bit more alcohol presence and even a lemony taste at the finish. Though not much up to my nostalgic expectations, it was a drinkable selection with a little bit of creamy goodness. Generally weak in flavor and hard to get past the aroma. Different but not impressive.

06-10-2007 23:29:23 | More by Durge
smcreator

3.6/5  rDev +19.6%

A: Two finger head.
S: It was hard to discern any great or unique smell.
T: Not very complex. It has a fresher taste than many lagers.
M: Feels kind of rough on the tongue and makes it a little more difficult to drink.
D: Goes down like water on a hot summer day.

05-28-2007 00:02:56 | More by smcreator
jwc215

Wisconsin

Pours straw yellow with a white head that, at first, is quite sizeable, but soon fizzles away to a thin cover then disappears.

The smell is of sweet grain and adjuncts. Typical, average macro-lager like smell. Not really offensive though.

The taste is of sweet grain and adjuncts. Some watered-down hops.

Pretty watery, but not overly so. Some surprising creaminess to it.

Well, it's a cheap "lawn-mower" beer, and rated as such. Good enough to bring to a place that allows can only and to beat the heat with. And, better than most BMC's. Still, not something I would look forward to.

05-26-2007 16:05:37 | More by jwc215
BMoney575

3.13/5  rDev +4%

Sampled on 5-7-07

Pours a medium golden color, very clear with lottle bubbles rising to the top. Decent head disappears quickly.

Smell is quite light, with some adjunct aromas. Smells very much like apple cider.

Taste is surprisingly good, much like an all-malt lager. Very light and unoffensive with a pleasant hop bitterness at the end. Aftertaste is also quite good, not as dry as a macro-lager.

Mouthfeel is decent, smooth with good carbonation.

Drinkability is surprising, I would take this over a macro any day. Kind of a confusing style, but a good blend of flavor and lightness.

05-07-2007 23:36:17 | More by BMoney575
BretSikkink

Mexico

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Perfectly clear brew, light side of golden. Head is very disappointing, poor retention and lacing.

Adjunct grain aroma, lightly herbal hop is a little faint. Alcohol is way too apparent.

There's a pronounced dextrin character here, some lightly sweet malt, a little estery fruit flavor but not much.

The mouthfeel is creamy, light-bodied, somehwat crisp. A little citric bittnerhess in the finish. Fizzy, obvious alcohol, slightly oily. Grain aftertaste, gets worse as it warms. Not recommended.

05-05-2007 01:28:49 | More by BretSikkink
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Friends of mine from the upper NY area said this was one of their favorite beers...I need to stop asking them for beer advice.

This was slightly better than most of the BMC products, but not by much. Poured to a golden yellow with some carbonation, a little white head that lingered a shor time, and a touch of lacing. Little aroma to speak of, though I did catch some grain, and there was nothing in particular that was noticeable in the flavor. Finish was about what would be expected; short and flat.

Not sure where the "cream ale" reference came from, but it was just another lager to me.

04-25-2007 02:55:47 | More by kimcgolf
zeff80

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Poured out a pale orange/gold color with a small, short-lived head. No lace.

S - It smelled of grains.

T - It tasted of grain and malt. A very faint hop presence.

M - It was soft and creamy. A light-bodied beer.

D - This was pretty good. It was smooth like a lager but tasted more like an ale.

04-03-2007 03:04:40 | More by zeff80
Dodt

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a 12oz can to a pint glass. Straw yellow in color . Since i'm not that seasoned in smell of beer, to my untrained nose it smells like any other macro brew. But unlike other macro beers i have in the past(Miller, Coors, Old milwaukee, Keystone , and busch). taste wise it smooth , with a slight sweet after taste.

03-14-2007 05:39:11 | More by Dodt
MYJELLOMISFIT

Colorado

2.35/5  rDev -21.9%

Small head only half a finger thick formed when at top of the glass. The color was real light and clear. It was yellow with a slight brown tone. The smell was not impressive, almost sour. Upon further smells it had a little rotting apple, malt, and herb.

Mouthfeel was that of a heavily filtered feel. Real wet and light and dried the tongue after. Just a touch of carbonation to tingle the tongue. Taste was not what I expected from a label saying "cream ale". The beer was strong when it hit the tongue and fades slowly and tastes of apple juice, and slightly bitter onion. It tastes like a Corona with an apple instead of a lime. Weird little creation.

02-22-2007 01:37:11 | More by MYJELLOMISFIT
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.