Dundee Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Pale AleDundee Pale Ale

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-16-2004)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Pale Ale Alström Bros
bmcduff2

01-24-2012 08:08:05 | More by bmcduff2
jbennett1919

I didn't plan on reviewing this beer, but it's so bad that I felt compelled to warn others. If this was the first beer I ever tasted, I would forever swear off all further beers and probably be an iced tea drinker. But lucky for me, this is not my first, and I know a foul brew when I taste one. Guess what? This sure qualifies!

I bought the Dundee mixed 12 pack and was fairly impressed with its affordability and the unexpected quality of some beers. However, words cannot describe the horrid qualities contained in this bottle of pale ale. I don't believe in drain pours, so this will be consumed in as few drinks as possible.

Pours an amber yellow with a fluffy two finger head. It looks alright, but looks can be deceiving.

The beer doesn't even smell so bad. I detect hops, some citrus and a faint metallic smell. Silly me though, I should have known the metallic smell would be an omen for bad beer.

The taste is where this beer goes horribly wrong. Something is terribly wrong with this beer. I don't detect any hops, citrus or malts. Instead I'm confronted with this terrible funky/bitter metallic taste. This beer reminds me of a sour that went completely wrong; like a Jolly Pumpkin sour that lacks any taste of fruits and has been sitting in the hot sun for about a month. I would compare the flavor of this to pond water.

To be honest, this reminds me of a case of apricot wheat beer that I bought in undergrad for $3.99. The beer was so cheap because it was around two-to-three years old. God was it sour and funky. I will never forget that flavor, and sure enough, it has returned in this bottle of pale ale.

Mouthfeel is absolutely horrible. Bitter, sour and funky.

I am never going to drink this again; although the other five beers in the 12 pack were good. I pray something went wrong between the bottling process and me drinking this beer and truly hope this is not the way the brewers intended for this to taste.

Although I was trying to save my Old Rasputin for a nice fall football game - either the Buckeyes or 49ers - my palate is screaming for something hearty/tasty and good. I owe it to my taste buds and may have to treat them to that delectable stout.

09-04-2009 20:56:03 | More by jbennett1919
GPHarris

Alabama

1.65/5  rDev -49.1%

a - poured a one finger thick, off-white head into my sam adams glass. the body was a clear amber.
s - grassy hops is all i could get and barely at that.
t - grainy, dry and bready and tasted truly bad.
m - thin and watery.
d - just an awful beer all-around.

04-23-2009 21:30:45 | More by GPHarris
bossmanjg

1.68/5  rDev -48.1%

Not the best to say the least.

Appearance: Kind of clear for an APA, and no head to speak of.

Smell: If you like hops, than you may enjoy this brew. But don't look for any other flavors, because that's all your getting.

Taste: Unimpressive.

Mouth feel: Blah.

Drinkability: I wouldn't drink this beer again. APA's must not be my liking.

But any manner, it's still beer and did have one good part. It still has alcohol.

And as always remember the immortal words:

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

~Benjamin Franklin

02-26-2006 14:51:54 | More by bossmanjg
kevinjosephlee

1.73/5  rDev -46.6%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A clear copper with a short and light head with some lacing.

S: Almost no aroma; hardly any hops: reminds me of mass-produced american lagers.

T: The same overpowering and out of place malts (not to mention, not especially good tasting) as the IPA of this same label. Alcohol followed by some hoppy bitterness is the rest of the (short) story in this department.

M: A medium (yet rather unpleasant) body with high carbonation.

D: Not drinkable at all. I will not be buying this beer again.

Overall: Once again, the Genesee Brewing Co. has done a poor job both classifying and brewing this beer.

10-22-2009 22:53:21 | More by kevinjosephlee
budgood1

1.85/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

pours out a clear amber colour with an assertive off white head that sticks a bit leaving a bit of clingy lace. aroma is nice blend of piney hops and a caramel maltiness that is invaded by a grainy, adjunct ridden huskiness. some fruitiness comes through, along the lines of green apple or pear. the taste is a lot of the same of what we had in the nose...the cara malt character is shot down by some grainy, off flavour that sits in the forefront and never lets any real hop flavour sensations to shine through. kinda weird. there is a good deal of hop bitterness detected, but i can't get over whatever is going on in the malt bill. there has to be an adjunct used or some crappy malt. either way it imparts a harsh and husky metallic note that joins forces with the bitterness and ruins the experience. medium bodied. harsh mouthfeel. finishes really dry with a lingering off taste that i wouldn't think would be due to the hops used. it's like sucking on a penny. drinkability suffers because after further evaluation, this pale ale has cut a bunch of corners in every aspect of the brewing process.

this is pretty bad. not recommended.

01-22-2009 00:34:51 | More by budgood1
semihobo

1.93/5  rDev -40.4%

From the Craft Pack.

One of the ugliest, most pock marked, lumpiest heads ever (kinda my fault on a goofy pour but I had to remark). Okay lace on the sides though once the head fizzled. Color is kinda red, kinda orange, almost golden at the edges. Nice. Some bubbling.

Smells like grain (corn), moldy hops, and alcohol. Offensive.

Taste isn't quite as bad, there are more hops here (still not excessive at all). Metallic-egg taste of well water in the country. More adjuncts, stuff that causes the bad beer face like Milwaukee's Best. B-grade hops with some amber malts.

Overcarbonated start adds to the nastiness, and there's a bad mouthfeel that accompanies the metal taste. The malt gives it a little more body though, which is clutch -- hops and thin carbonated beverage wouldn't be nice.

I don't like how this beer tastes and had to struggle a little to get it down. I think it's a bad APA, really low end. However, I give it props for that, as I didn't think there was a macro APA. Well, I'm proud of High Falls for shooting for the 12-pack-for-$7 APA market. Maybe a good choice for someone who thinks he likes hops but doesn't really and is posing?

As a side note, I've drank a half dozen of these this year and maybe this batch is worse than normal -- they're not usually this bad.

09-09-2005 12:14:17 | More by semihobo

k3v1k

12-21-2011 03:51:15 | More by k3v1k
caresville

2.05/5  rDev -36.7%

a- golden to orange, amber. little foamy white head with an aggressive pour. lots of carbonation and basically no lacing.

s- smells malty and sugary. faint hops waaay back there.

t&m- tastes like hopped up maple syrup, hops are present but so is a ton of malt presence. no fruit taste in this one what so ever, lots of grain and bread taste. peat moss and maple syrup make up for most of the taste here.

d- not very good, gets old fast and as im typing this im thinking about lowering the drinkability factor to a 1.5 because it leaves that weird maple syrup and pancake taste in my mouth.

03-19-2010 05:28:15 | More by caresville
Arbitrator

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Bubbly copper color. A finger of head, some lacing.

S: The bottle puff is the strongest smell (nice floral hops), but the beer itself is pretty unscented. Some malts if I really concentrate.

T: Sweet malts, weak hops.

M: Kind of a thin, watery body. Nice carbonation.

D: This is not a beer connoisseur brew. It is, however, a great thing to have when you're hosting a poker night or having non-regular drinkers over. It fits quite comfortably with most macrobrews and may be a shade above.

Don't expect too much from this, and you won't be disappointed. I buy stuff like this as my "sharing" beer.

12-11-2008 21:40:11 | More by Arbitrator
Knapp85

2.13/5  rDev -34.3%

Eh, the beer is a golden color. With some hops on the nose but barely. The flavor is the same way, more hops could only benefit this brew. This is such a common style beer that it was really hard to make any real jugdement on this beer. It just wasn't strong enough in any category.

03-25-2011 23:26:48 | More by Knapp85
RoBotGod

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -33.6%

Might be one of the worst pales I’ve ever had. I tasted this beer as a promo before it was released and right off the bat it had an old taste to it. Positively a beer that you can tell is mass produced so the quality takes a nose dive. It was quite cloudy for a pale, had almost a bad tap water taste. One positive thing is I can see it being a sort of beginner pale and might get some macro beer drinkers to cross over to more quality beers. I only had one bottle of this beer that was given to me. Had I bought a full 6pk I would have given the remaining 5 to someone I don't like.

03-07-2005 04:26:12 | More by RoBotGod
rowew

Colorado

2.17/5  rDev -33%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, twist. New style labels, with a green frog. ABV is marked, but date code is cryptic.

Appearance: Reddish orange, clear - average head and retention.

Smell: Grassy hops, a bit of cooked vegetable. A bit of bready malt as it warms.

Taste: An odd combination of hops and vegetables - not horribly, but not exactly appealing.

Overall impression: I actually think most of the Dundee beers are decent offerings considering the price, but I would pass on this one.

12-02-2008 01:05:04 | More by rowew
bowz32

2.17/5  rDev -33%

Little head retention.
golden brown color.
Not much smell at all just a slight wiff of grain no hop.
Not much taste had a very light feel with a small carbonation bye at first, with a slight mineraly after taste.
This was one of a seasonal varity pack. Bought in Belvedere il. Very inexpensive. I wouldnt buy it again. I hope the other beers are better.

04-22-2011 20:14:23 | More by bowz32
midaszero

Washington

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

A - Clear orange straw with tiny white head with with no lacing

S - Definite malts with a sweet nose

T - Faint malt with bitter hops. Bad after taste that lingers

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Didn't drain pour it but not to be sought out or be bought again

10-31-2008 01:44:57 | More by midaszero
bladdamasta

Australia

03-15-2013 23:25:35 | More by bladdamasta
sendbeer

11-01-2012 15:36:19 | More by sendbeer
elniko

Poured into Stella glass

A: Dark amber, finger or so of head that dissipated. Average looking brew.

S: Definite hoppiness on the nose, not very strong however.

T & M: I am not a fan of the taste of beer. It is almost astringent, thin, watery. Not very enjoyable at all. Mouthfeel leaves an unpleasant bitterness behind.

D: Not really, I will definitely not be having this beer again.

07-25-2008 22:33:54 | More by elniko
Mardukk

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Pours a copper color with a somewhat quickly fading head, a bit of lacing.

A light hoppy smell.

Taste starts of smooth with some bittering hops. Not much else. The aftertaste leaves an undesirable soapy bitter taste.

Leaves a slight filmy taste on your tongue with the soapy aftertaste. Not terribly drinkable due to the off putting after taste and mouth film.

I will not seek this out again.

03-13-2009 01:26:07 | More by Mardukk
baxterbrew

Tennessee

2.3/5  rDev -29%

A: Poured from bottle with a rigorous head, thick and creamy that settled into NOTHING. I am now looking at an amber colored liquid with no white. Very poor.

S: Smell is malty and slighty flowery. Nothing to write home about.

T: Slightly bread-like, metallic strange flavor. The hops are there but not very pronounced. It's OK but again nothing special.

M: Fairly good, creamy. Not bad.

D: I wouldn't do it again. It's ok, but why bother?

03-21-2007 01:50:09 | More by baxterbrew
Scribbles

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Was a bit suprised when I found out, after just using my trusty opener, they have twist off caps!?!?! (Maybe this should have been a warning)

Appearance: Nice head of two fingers that is very slowly slowly dissipating. the colour is a nice amber, there are little streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Smell: A little sweet smelling, a bit of a metallic odor.

Taste: Hints of caramel, not much of a hop flavour least not like I'm used to. Slightly sweet and somewhat Pine-y. There is an unpleasing metallic aftertaste, that just doesn't fit right with the rest of the beer, and makes it hard to convince yourself to take another drink

Mouthfeel: is relatively smooth; but be aware there is a fair amount of carbonation in this beer.

Drinkability: Fairly smooth and drinkable, but the metallic after taste leaves you not wanting a second one. Though I've found that it is much easier to drink with food (particularly salty), and you can take a bite of food and avoid much of the metallic aftertaste, that detracts from what would be an otherwise okay beer.

My final verdict is: I would say spend a dollar or two more and get a better tasting beer. I was hoping this would be good as it was grouped in the store with some of the better beers instead of the big Macro's; So I was hoping it might be good too. The lesson learned just because it isn't one of the big Macro's doesn't make it good. Maybe I'll check out some of there other Dundee styles, but after this experience it will be awhile until that time comes around.

09-21-2007 22:03:36 | More by Scribbles
PintOHops

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Glass - Pint

A - Honey/coppery color, produced a 2-3 finger head, looks kinda soapy with big bubbles. Retention is pretty good and it leaves some soapy splash on the glass.

S - Very soft floral with some citrus upfront, a bit of biscuit, a little dry, more hops than malts. Soft aroma, nothing big here.

T - Cracker & mild biscuit upfront, following is some nice citrus & rind like flavors. Finishes with very mild bitterness along with some biscuit flavors, bitterness lingers a bit. What's a turn off for me is that I recently had there IPA, and this APA tastes nearly identical!

M - Kinda effervescent, moderately carbonated, around lite bodied I'd say.

D - A very drinkable APA, I could drink around 2 pints, but nothing enjoyable to me. The whole Dundee line seems to be very mediocre or worse, with the exception of a couple. Not recommended, there's allot better out there priced around the same as this.

04-16-2010 23:20:46 | More by PintOHops
Dundee Pale Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.