Dundee Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Pale AleDundee Pale Ale

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-16-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Pale Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
moocey

Alabama

This is the first time I've paid five dollars for a six pack of something that actually had "Ale" on the label instead of lager. Well, there was that Lawson's Creek dreck that called itself a stout but turned out to be red kool-aid, but back to topic. I've been reluctant to try this beer since it's made by the same people that make Honey Effing Lager, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Appearance - Nice Amber Color and decent head retention.

Smell - Holy crap! Is that hops I smell? Nice light hoppy, biscuity aroma. I've never smelt hops in anything this cheap.

Taste - Well I'll be damned. Nice crisp cascade hoppy, spicy bite. Do I wish there were more hops? Of course I do. But I'll forgive them since this only set me back five bucks. Slightly sweet malt finish there as well. This is a decent American Pale.

Drinkability - High. Fairly simple beer that requires little brainwork. For anyone who has been introduced to hops, this should be easy to drink.

This is slightly more expensive than your average sub-premium MacroSwill. Obviously, this is not macroswill by any means. Of course I'm not calling this a great beer, it's just an exceptional value. Most of the time when I spend this much on a six pack of beer, I'm satisfied when it lacks bad characteristcs. This goes as far as to have pleasing, although not earth-shattering, flavor and aroma. I enjoyed this beer. I highly reccomend this as a fallback to other BA's who are poor college students.

10-29-2004 04:19:09 | More by moocey
Billolick

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

12 ouncer, without any freshnesss dating to be had. Pours amber/almond, raising a medium bubble head with good retention, leaves moderate lacing. Lively carbonation, with streams of bubbles continuing to rise up. Faint bready nose. Medium bodied, notes of minerals, soft malty center and slight grainy hops in the background. Brit tasting ale. Middle of the road in most aspects, but a decent sessioner. Respectable, if not very exciting brew.

10-21-2004 02:49:07 | More by Billolick
oberon

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

First off congrats to High Falls for making a solid well crafted ale I was completely suprised by this offering.Poured a copper/amber with a nice fluffy head that left a generous amount of lace,aromas were a mix of some leafy hops and and toasted grain with a hint of fruit lingering.Well balanced flavor a biscuity dry malt background with a large dose of citruisy hop I picked up a little leafy presence as well.Went down almost way to easy highly drinkable but with some nice melding of flavors,very well done.

10-15-2004 00:08:18 | More by oberon
bashiba

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a nice dark amber color with a very creamy white head that seems to linger for a while and leaves the sides of my glasses white. Nice

The smell is pretty good with some malt arouma but mostly you can just smell the nice hops.

The taste is clearly dominated by the hops, while still not being to strong. You can taste a little bit of the malts, and there is some nice citrus taste coming through, but mostly the hops, not to bad.

The mouthfeel is pretty good with nice carbonation and a creaminess to it that makes it pretty decent.

The drinkability is solid on this, not fantastic but rates a little higher if you are on a budget.

10-09-2004 03:20:44 | More by bashiba
WesWes

4.33/5  rDev +34.1%

The beer pours a nice dark gold/amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that fades slowly to lacing. The aroma is exceptional. I can't believe this is from High Falls Brewing. It has a complex malty scent with a wonderful floral hop aroma. The taste is awesome as well. It has a great malty base which boasts of pale and crystal malts. It is very bitter and full of hops. It goes down really smooth with a slightly dry and hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This has got to be the best beer High Falls has ever made. I'm impressed; a good drinker.

10-07-2004 02:56:52 | More by WesWes
ADR

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Clear reddish-copper, attractive. Head rises to 1/2 an inch, moderate staying power but leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is reserved, slightly hoppy but slightly detergent as well, to my nose. Carbonation is medium, mouthfeel is a little light, especially at the close. Malt backbone is just a touch weak, a bit of shortbread. The hops are distinct and felt early, grapefruit-orange amarillo-like that gets pithier and stronger toward the back. Better than I expected, could have used better body and malt balance but its a decent Pale Ale and along with the Amber Lager and six Honey Brown Lagers in an eight-pack for $5.25 -- a dang decent value.

10-05-2004 14:52:00 | More by ADR
jimdkc

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

Color is a coppery amber with a medium sized white head. Smell is fresh and mildly hoppy. Taste is dominated by the hops, but it's not an "in your face" hoppiness. Interesting hop flavor... I checked the High Falls website: it's Cascade, Tomahawk, and Amarillo. Nice. Citrus and a little herbal/floral. I initially sampled this too cold and it had an odd aftertaste, but that faded and it finished cleanly after it had warmed a bit. Light caramel malt flavor under the hops. This tasted surprisingly similar to a Pale Ale I recently homebrewed with pale and crystal malts and Cascade hops.

10-05-2004 03:15:46 | More by jimdkc
BillyBrew

Maine

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Had to travel to Mount Desert Island for this one, as I could not find the Honey Brown mix-pack around Portland.

Coppery-amber color with a chunky, fine white head that sticks and lasts.

Sweet and slightly-floral hop nose. Thin, sweet malt.

Thin malt sweetness. Not really rich at all, just dry sweetness. The hops strart solidly floral, then fade to a light oiliness Taste slighty unbalanced with a thinnish, sweet malt and lingering and more complex hop profile.

A light-medium body that finishes with a ligering hoppy dryness.

Pretty good for big brewer. Not a particularily good pale, but a tastey beer nonetheless. Great taste for the cost!

Cheers!

09-28-2004 22:21:17 | More by BillyBrew
shirfan

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Copper, with a decent off-white head that quickly recedes to a thin layer of lacing.

Smell of brown sugar, with lesser aromas of citrus and bready malt.

Taste: How did High Falls pull this off?? Not the greatest APA around by any stretch, but far better than I expected from the same folks that churn out Genny and Honey Brown. Starts with up front, slightly rough bitterness...and a decent amount of it. A touch of Cascades flavor pokes through before a bready, very dry finish. Malt body is fairly thin, I suppose it's permissible instead of throwing in mass adjuncts, as this was only 4.50 a sixer.

Not bad at all for the price and origin.

09-25-2004 16:49:50 | More by shirfan
texashammer

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Pale amber color. Very little head. Beautiful malty smells of brown sugar, molasses. Smell really excited me, but the taste became very hoppy and bitter in an unpleasant way. Not a floral, citrus, or veggie hop, but a bitter almost skunky hop. I don't mean to be that harsh though. Quite drinkable and smooth, a very decent american pale ale and plenty true to the style. Finishes sweet. Pleasant.

09-23-2004 21:07:19 | More by texashammer
Maestro

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

I am truly impressed with this beer. I haven't had an american pale ale that was this good in quite a while. The nose is very hoppy, but the malts come through as well. The beer is amber colored with a foamy, tan one-finger head. The mouthfeel is excellent, with a very nice malt profile to pair with the hops. Very drinkable and smooth. Great job, High Falls.

09-21-2004 00:39:27 | More by Maestro
Ricochet

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

I'm not a big fan of JW Dundees HB, while I am glad that a macrobrewer can put out some decent "other than golden beers" , thier HB was always sweet and not my thing. I had A-B's Michelob Hefe-Weizen and Amber Bock and thought they were OKAY. So, when I went into a different store today, and saw these, 4.99 for a 6, I thought I'd try it. Expecting average, I was in for a surprise.

Appearence: The dark amber I'd associate with Pale Ale with a good head (mostly from pouring it in the glass too quick and the quick-freeze I put on it to sample.)

Smell: A slight fruit smell, a little malty scent, I knew this was something different from a Macro brewer.

Mouthfeel: After the initial flavor subsides, it goes down like an average beer.

Taste: Good. Maybe a bit lower than Goose and Sierra and even other Pales I've tasted but still, damn good. Just a hint of the fruityness of the hops, a distinct malt taste, a notch less bitter and a little sweet. I cannot believe this comes from the people that brew Genny!

Drinkability: The price, even if it goes up a bit to match Goose or Sierra, is very good. That makes this very drinkable to me. Flavor beats any beer I get in a 6 for less than a five and beats a few that I pay more for. A tasty beer that may become a regular beer in my fridge.

Summary: Remember when the macros promoted thier "tiny brands" as being really good? (Planck Road Brewery anyone?) This REALLY DOES taste good! I'll try the amber next and hopefully these won't be the last craft brews from High Falls. Great stuff.

09-12-2004 05:00:47 | More by Ricochet
rugbycritic

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

I'm a big fan of our hometown brewer. We have wanted to see them make a move for a better presence in the craft segment. This is the other one.

This also has a nice dark red color with copper hints. A bolder aroma hopping rate is evident, along with more bitterness. There is a firmer malt presence to stand up to the hops. Head is nice, not overly so. Sticks to the glass for a bit of that lovely lace.

I hope that this along with the Amber Lager is the beginning of something new from High Falls. I'd love to see more interesting brews coming out with presentation similar to Saranac; their Trail Mix and Twelve Beers of Christmas.

Let have some fun. Where do I buy this stuff?

09-07-2004 02:59:57 | More by rugbycritic
Greenlabel

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

I was surprised to find this product in a small package store on Cape Cod. Finally, since the days of the older versions of 12 Horse Ale, the folks at Genesee have brewed an ale with some real body and taste to it. Nice copper color, decent smell and lasting head. This is by no means a high-powered ale but it has enough in the way of hops to create a definite ale taste. I've not been a fan of the Dundee's Honey Brown because of its excessive sweetness - this product does not suffer from that problem. It was priced at about $2 less per 6-pack than the regional micros at the store of origin - if it continues at that differential, it could be an excellent crossover and/or session ale. Enough taste for an existing micro fan but not too extreme for the potential micro fan.

09-04-2004 19:25:08 | More by Greenlabel
brewdlyhooked13

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance - nice orange amber color, stiff creamy head recedes slowly, leaving think ribbons of lace at the top of the glass.

Aroma - clean grainy aroma. Just barely able to pick up a whiff of roastiness. Pleasant but not much here to smell.

Taste - a low-key malt base to start. A light roasted grain flavor provides the base for a smooth blend of 3 different hop varieties. Citric notes up front, a nice smooth bitterness to follow, ending with an orangey, mild flowery finish. As it warms and my mouth adjusts to the hops, the initial malt taste gets more noticeable, balancing the beer out well. The aftertaste is a lingering combo of pale and caramel malts and a grapefruit rind taste.

Mouthfeel - good play of bubbles and smoothness, adequate for the style.

Drinkability - of the now-three JW Dundee's varieties, the Honey Brown just got dropped to 3rd behind the new Amber and the this new one. Great stuff.

08-31-2004 21:03:40 | More by brewdlyhooked13
John

Presentation: 12oz. bottle. Brand new all malt brew (it's officially adjunct free), Dundee's pale pours crystal clear copper. The head is pillowy and steady and leaves a decorative lace. Impressive and usually the mark of a quality brew. Aroma is faint initially but is awakened by a gentle swirl. It consists of hops primarily, displaying the Tomahawk, Amarillo and Cascade varieties. The malt lends a biscuity light caramel sweetness to the nose. The flavor first shows off its hop bitterness. Malt stays hidden until it warms a bit. As the temperature rises the flavors blend ideally. I recommend consuming at or near cellar temperature. Malt base sweetens and is quickly balanced by a hop profile that combines spicy, pine and citrus elements. A solid brew that has the hop bitterness nailed down. IMHO, a bit more hop aroma and flavor would push this beer to the next level but I'm enjoying it more and more each time I drink it. Good quality brew priced at or near Honey Brown cost, this will be a good value for the buck. Looking forward to more of these type of offerings perhaps in seasonal beers. How's about an a$$ kickin IPA? Nice job overall by High Falls.

08-19-2004 01:55:07 | More by John
Crosling

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

What an honor it is to be the first reviewer of JW Dundee's Pale Ale. I wish instead of Dundee's this beer said Lees and instead of Pale I wish it said Harvest but oh well.

Copper.

Mildly aromatic, somewhat adjunct infested and macro-like but still pleasing in a few ways. Hints of orange, clean pale grains and "just a kiss of the hops" in the nose.

Obviously this is a pale ale trying to appeal to the masses, trying to gain acceptance from the usual "Honey Brown" crowd, but still, there is enough flavor to be appreciated, in fact, this is a pleasant surprise. The malt backround is fairly subtle but still creamy with a hint of biscuits and caramel. The hops are fruity and flavorful providing some excellent hop flavor of orange, citrus fruits and lemon while eliminating almost all bitterness.

I won't ever be having this again, but it is refreshing to see such a large brewer buck the trend and brew a semi flavorful beer.

08-16-2004 14:06:29 | More by Crosling
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

Sample 12 oz bottle. from a rep. no label Pours a burnt orange sunset color, with a decent sized soapy head that vanished quickly. Aroma was slightly hoppy, with a little sweet maltiness. flavor was citrus hops (grapefruit) with a little caramel malt in there. crisp bitter finish. nice easy drinking brew.

08-16-2004 06:02:35 | More by Padron4KM
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
Dundee Pale Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.