Dundee Pale Bock Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Pale Bock LagerDundee Pale Bock Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.25% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Pale Bock Lager Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

sendbeer, Nov 01, 2012
1.83/5  rDev -46.5%

Bought a mixed 12 pack of Dundee's ($8.99/12).

There has to be one bad beer in a sampler pack right? I tried this 4 times and was only able to drink the entire beer once. I don't have many drain pours but this is one of them. Just way too strong of an alcohol taste and the beer is just not smooth at all. Way too many astringent tastes going on. Really, not a good beer at all.

oriolesfan4, Sep 21, 2008

kelvarnsen, Jan 03, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

This pours from 12oz bottle(part of variety 12 pack) a clear amber with a small but firm head of foam that shrinks to some islands by the end of the session.

The smell is of sweet malt and some fruit.

The taste has caramel malt, some roasted malt flavour, some fruitiness(cherry, citrus) and a slight alcohol flavour. Hmm..there's not much harmony going on with the flavours here and I'm finding it kind of difficult to take more sips. Nope. This one is not for me.

Bitterbill, Oct 21, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -40.1%

Glass - Pint

A - Hazy orange/copper color with a 2-3 finger head, looks pretty dense. Retention is good, didn't leave any lace, but a nice thin ring of foam held atop for a while.

S - Wow! There's hardly anything here, some cracker, mild sweetness, mild mild caramel. Grainy overall.

T - Very soft flavor profile, a bit of biscuit/cracker/caramel. It's got a hell of a lot more than the aroma, finishes with a bit of citrus & some mild biscuit, a touch of bitterness. It's got a bit of medicinal flavors that some of the other Dundee beers have.

M - Kinda fizzy, effervescent, around lite-medium bodied.

D - Well another let down from Dundee to me. I wouldn't drink another, so to me, I don't think it's drinkable, mainly because Ive had many of the Dundee beers, and again again I get these nasty medicinal tasting, ugly colored, fizzy feel beers! Not recommended.

PintOHops, Apr 17, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -38.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a slightly hazy golden straw in color with about a half finger of white head that has decent retention. Aroma is almost non-existent. There are faint aromas of sweet crystal malts and lightly spicy hops as well as a distinctly lager yeast aroma. Taste is of some crystal malts, a touch of hop spicyness in the finish, and a lager character throughout. I noticed a surprising amount of alcohol in this brew considering its only 6.2% ABV. In the finish there is a flavor that seems to be a combination of spicy hops and has an overwhelming lager character that I find very unpleasant and the alcohol flavor doesn't help. Mouthfeel is average at best, medium-light body and moderate-low carbonation. Drinkability is fairly low. I simply didn't enjoy this at all. I would not recommend this beer.

mnj21655, Dec 28, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

A - Clear, honey-gold with a thin white foamy cap that actually shows decent retention, but looks pretty dull. Not a very interesting brew to look at.

S - Very hard to smell this one...a bit of honey and a little bit of sweet cereal like mybe Cheerios. This is a very challenged aroma. I really can't smell much at all.

T - That hint of Cheerios in the nose was spot on....I taste that cereal too. Pale malt with a touch of honey and a very light dose of hops.

M - This is thicker in feel than it is in flavor. It's syrupy sweet and thick. Quite a bit of carbonation is present, and the finish is neutral with a lingering sugary coating. Not very appetizing.

D - Not an altogether bad beer, but I'd pass this by in a heartbeat for something a little better. This isn't very "too style" either. This is so sweet and thick that it's really almost a drain pour. I hate to be so critical, but I really don't like this at all.

pmcadamis, Jan 30, 2008

mrfrancis, Jul 06, 2013

Cjalbers, Sep 13, 2012

Blind, Aug 23, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -33.3%

Rich honey colored pour with a little bit of white head. Smell was similar to a hefeweizen actually. Taste was a bit malty, a touch tart, light and watery with an almost hef spiced aftertaste and sort of a dull, tart apple juice flavor. Maybe it was a bit past its prime as I got it in a mix pack, but it's hard to say. Either way, nothing impressive.

JDV, Feb 13, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

I had a hard time finding the motivation to write a review about this one... I just couldn't find anything worth mentioning.

A: Pours a nice, clear yellowish orange. Average white ½ in head with it's share on some nice light lacing on the walls of my traditional pint glass.

S: Lightly toasted malts, nothing beyond that.

T/M: Was this the last beer I had from Dundee, the India Pale Ale? Light bodied, light flavored and watery. All I detected was some light malts, a slight green apple presence, light butter and water. Highly carbonated with no discernable aftertaste.

Overall, this should have been called "Pale Bock Blaah", not impressed. No thanks. Boring, even for it's style. I liked the label on the bottle more than the beer itself.

beachbum1975, Oct 04, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours as a golden-orangish clear liquid with a nice 2-finger bubbly head that begins to dissipate rather quickly. Carbonation is steady and constant, which is nice.

Smells of malt, grain alcohol, and a touch of wheat. Overall, somewhat below average but not bad.

Tastes like grain alcohol with hints of grass, malts, and has a kick at the end that doesn't come from hops. There's a bitterness that seems to want to swat your tongue but it's a lively taste that might endear itself to others. Other than that, flavor was decidedly average.

Mouthfeel is a bit weak. You don't sense anything at all, then the mild flavor hits you, and you're like, 'oh there it is!'. Then there's a bitter finish but it at least finishes clean after the bitterness evaporates. Overall, rather poor mouthfeel - not much better than water with a bit of bitterness at the end.

Drinkability isn't strong due to the mild flavors - you don't really have a reason to finish this brew. I could knock them back but didn't enjoy it too much so I decided to pour it out and go find another beer that I'd enjoy more. Why waste your flavor buds? Drink what you like.

xare, Mar 22, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -29.2%

A very clear, light copper color. Started off with a one-inch head that receded to about a quarter-inch pretty quickly, but held there. Lots of visible carbonation. A spot of lacing here and there.

Nice sweet, bready aroma, hint of white grape. Not a bad start.

Hm. This is the one in the pack that hasn't worked for me. Just an odd mix of flavors to start. Something sour prominently figures here, probably cooked veggies. Maybe I'm drinking this too warm. The hop profile leaves a bitter finish that I find somewhat at odds with the maltiness. Still tastes sort of like a bock in the aftertaste, which is not something I'd say about the rest of it. Lacks any kind of fruity character, or barely even any raisin, which I would have expected. It's just off, almost has the malt character (corn) of a malt liquor, some of which taste better than this.

For a beer that boasts "Big and malty" on the label, I can't really say I agree with either with regards to mouthfeel. It's medium-light, sort of airy, too carbonated. I would expect more from a 6.2% beer. There should be some more heft. Gets better later on as carbonation fades.

I'm not sure if this is a style I don't really understand or if there's something off about this batch, but this is the weakest of the otherwise perfectly drinkable brews in the Dundee pack. I drank it down, hoping it would start to taste better, and it wasn't hard to glug down the last few ounces when I wasn't paying as much attention. Like most macros, not hard to get down when it goes from glass to stomach in just a second or two. Maybe next time I save this for last instead of starting with it.

ommegoose, Feb 18, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this in a mix pack a while ago. Cold 12oz bottle poured into a chilled pint glass and paired with pizza.

A: Clear golden brew gives 1" of frothy white head that settles and leaves thick webby lacing behind.

S: Moderately sweet with a caramel-like feel, bit of diacetyl, very faint pine and grass hops. Kind of eerie how similar this is to the Dundee Kolsch I just reviewed.

T/M: Kind of thin and bland, similar to the smell. As it warms a mixed inky hop develops.

D: Nothing offensive and it goes down easily. Again, like the Kolsch, nothing particularly impresses me about it.

BeerNinja007, Jul 30, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

I was not a fan of this brew, tasted more like a decent macro lager than a German inspired Maibock. A DMS smell overtook the nose. It also contributed to the taste, along with some smokiness and sweet breadiness. Went down easy and clung to the mouth well with a slight alcohol warmth. But not something I would enjoy very often.

zdk9, May 21, 2007

chefduff2, Jan 05, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a pale gold color with a very thin head. Aroma is strong and malty with a slight sweetness to it, much like a simple bock. Taste is very strong and malty upfront and fades into a sweet aftertaste. Just doesn't seem very drinkable.

The problem is with the metallic taste upfront. It just hits too hard. It's an interesting take on the style but I believe I've had better versions of a helles bock/maibock. .

Brad007, Nov 17, 2007

emwild12, Jun 07, 2014

ToddHolder, Mar 04, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

An overall average beer reminding me of domestic macro brews but with a kick as are most of their beers. Poured a dark golden color with a smell that seems all to malty and a taste that agrees. Easy to drink and good value but probably wouldn't pick this bock again.

barleywinefiend, Mar 08, 2008

barnzy78, Nov 25, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -26%

Clear golden body with soft bubbles and a white, pillowy, extra-creamy two-finger head in a pokel--uneven tracings... thin, metallic hints of malt; crisp and a bit buttery... thin going in, but a bit of an annoyance on the throat... creamy and weak-bodied... somewhat malty--more pilsner than bock?--but the taste boldens late... stronger, but still basically a light lager with some sweetness...pleasant and rather nondescript--giving this beer the benefit, it may just be a misnomer (can't imagine this holding up to an actual bock), and without expectations, it is drinkable.

dacrza1, Jun 20, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -26%

A - Pale straw color, slightly cloudy. A little bit of foam.

S - Not much, maybe some slight vegetable smell and some malt.

T - Up front some malt, but on the back end more of that vegetable flavor. Not bad, but no pleasant.

M - Not a clean feeling, some carbonation.

D - Meh, leaves me underwhelmed. I'm not sure where the brewer was going with this. It's unoffensive, and I'm sure very approachable. If it was selling for less then a buck a bottle, I would by it for non-beer geek friends.

enfield249, Jan 18, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance - Pours a rich golden yellow, with average carbonation. Pleasure to look at.

Smell - Sweet malty aroma, about average in strength, quite pleasant to say the least.

Taste - Above average in bitterness and maltiness, no other tastes are recognizable. Leaves a sweet aftertaste. The brew is a letdown--although the brew might be enjoyable to those who like the style, the brew is not impressive for lager lovers.

Drinkability - The beer is just too bitter and malty for my liking, so I would not buy this again. Had trouble finishing the four bottles that came with the variety 12-pack.

palffyfan, Jun 07, 2007
Dundee Pale Bock Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.