Dundee India Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee India Pale AleDundee India Pale Ale

good

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee India Pale Ale Alström Bros

columbiankramer, Dec 07, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +45.2%

perhaps the best of the dundee 12 pack out now...

pours a nice dark 'tawny' with tons of subatomic lacing. nice to see! head remains for awhile without my usual violent, hearty pour. smell is oddly that of a normal pale, a bit malty. suprising but enjoyable nonetheless. a sip and a savor and gulp reveals more hops than malt by far and it's very very well balanced. again, surprised and i like that this is another fairly hopped beer that is perfect for those who want a great session IPA and those afraid of hyperhopbombs. THIS DOESN'T PRETEND TO BE, so a SHAME that some folks are judging this as if it was meant to be an APA or DIPA or something. all in all, great mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, a simply ENJOYABLE ipa....

by the way, if i thought this was mislabeled, i'd at least try another bottle to make sure before i just flat out gave it something potentially undeserving.

my bottles had plenty of hop presence.

very recommended!

edit: came back to this and it's just as exceptional for what it really is...i like the most hopbombed brews out there, but i think alot of folks who are into bitterness and not balance are dogging this brew as they do many others....

mempath, Oct 20, 2009

RBorsato, Nov 06, 2012

grahamboudreaux, Mar 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

They were having a sale on Dundee sample 12-packs at a run down, country grocery store near me for something like $9:49. So I gave it a try and glad as hell I did. The 12 pack was old and dusty and even the bottle's inside were coated with such a lair of dust like it had been locked away in a storm shelter for half a decade or so, but that didn't matter a bit.
This is great stuff.

Appearance: Golden orange in color, with a half inch head that quickly shrinks down to a creamy looking thin lair that begs to be pulled on. The thick lacing record's every pull.

Smells: Lemon, grassy, grapefruit, with a subtle undercurrent of malt.

Taste: Fantastic. Hoppy as expected for it's style, but not over the top. I don't taste much malt at all.

Mouthfeel: Feels great. Very smooth, with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability: At the price I found this for it's a steal. I'll be picking up a couple more of these 12-packs, because it's damn sure worth the money.

godlessape, Dec 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +33.8%

Looking at the beer selection of the local supermarket I noticed a JW Dundee's variety pack, and upon slightly closer inspection, noticed there was an IPA in the mix. Add to that it was a 12 pack on sale for $7.99 and I snagged it. The IPA is the first beer I tried out of the sampler.

The first thing I want to really comment on is the fact that they specifically mention it is Amarillo and Simcoe hops in this beer. Here in Indiana I don't really know of too many offerings we get with those particular hops. This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear coppery orange. The head was somewhat unremarkable and dropped fast. The aroma is somewhat floral with a hint of citrus, overall it is somewhat subdued.

The taste is really nice. It has a nice hop bitterness at first that quickly mellows out with some citrusy, sweet malty flavors. Very smooth from start to finish. It has a medium body, and feels like it coats the tongue a little on the way down. Very drinkable beer, and could easily be a session beer. I will be disappointed if this is truly only going to be a seasonal offering as I would love to have this year round.

Highly recommended!

Generik420, Aug 31, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +33.2%

This IPA has a great head. The lacing is perfect. Lots of lemon and grass in the nose, leaving a really clean smell without being overly hoppy for an IPA. The taste is very clean, with a dry finish. Sure, it's bitter - it's an IPA - but the clean organic taste and finish is quickly making this my "go-to" IPA.

beerinmorning, Dec 19, 2010

speracado, Feb 11, 2012

Molson2000, Sep 10, 2012

Dokteravalanche, Apr 03, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +29.8%

A - This one is clear orange-amber-gold with a tight one finger head that shows decent retention. Lots of nice lace coats my pint glass, and turns crusty as it dries.

S - Big meaty hops jump right out of the glass. Juicy, fruity, and a bit piny. Lots of nice caramel malt is present too. This is a nice surprise! This smells really good!

T - Much like the nose, this is really hoppy, juicy, and fruity. The malt and hops are damn near perfectly balanced, and the whole range of American hop flavors are here to some extent...grapefruit, mandarin orange, pine needles, and sweet valencia oranges.

M - Medium bodied, tight, firm, and moderately carbonated. Feels meaty and firm on the palate, and the hoppy off-dry finish is really nice.

D - I am extremely impressed by this wonderful IPA from a company that I usually associate with mediocrity. This is everything that an IPA should be...nothing more, nothing less. Prototypical for an American IPA.

pmcadamis, Jan 30, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +29.8%

It was a decent IPA. Not my favorite but surely drinkable. It pours into what you would expect from an IPA with a nice head that sticks to the glass. The smell of hops is nice with some pine notes. The taste is good though not my favorite like I say. It has a crisp and heavy mouthfeel but finish nicely with a little bite. It has a nice drinkability if you are expecting the hop characters.

kdawg105, May 04, 2010
4.21/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle from sampler pack into Tulip glass.

A: Clear medium amber with a one finger white head. Very appetizing.
S: Typical IPA hoppy smell. Sweet mandarin orange, blueberry, slight floral smell, and a hint of pine.
T: A slight bitter taste that doesn't hit as hard as some of the West Coast IPA's do. Sweet caramel malt flavors are noted after the bitterness. Fairly sweet, with an aftertaste that lasts no more than a few seconds. Not too bad.
F: Medium body with decent carbonation, slightly sweet, but with good hop bite.
O: A GREAT budget IPA. I got this from their sampler, but wouldn't mind getting a whole six pack. Not very offensive, and would be a good starter for someone looking to try IPA's who hasn't gotten used to their bitterness yet.

car2052, Sep 19, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +29.2%

LutherBrau, Sep 01, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +28.6%

Standard good looking IPA; medium orange body with a one finger head of nearly white foam that proveds a decent sticky lacing. Hints of red also appear in this one so a little darker than some others I've had lately.

Lots of toffee with a big, subtle (if that makes sense) smell of English hops, or at least a similar American low-cohumulone hop.

Lots of toffee and a little caramel followed by spicy hops giving of notes of cinnamon, light pepper and finishes with a little green vegetation. Much better than I expected, I am happy to report.

Quite smooth with enough carbonation to give it a light crispiness in the middle of the sip.

Coming from the honey-brown people this is a decent English style IPA, a style that I am not usually a fan of. I get thrown off by the toffee in these brews and much prefer the west coast style IPAs, but the hops in this one are delicious and I am humbled a little for attempting to judge this book by its cover.

P.S. After reading the BA Mag review I think that it is the very reason that the hops step all over the malts is why I like this one. I could see how that is not great for the style, but I like them clean and this one is certainly that.

tapman, Nov 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +27.1%

Regular 12oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off cap. Label and cap are green and shows a ship in a bottle.
Clear copper honey body with low carbonation. Good lace and decent retention.
Nice mild hoppy scent with a touch of pine, biscuit and licorice.
Hoppy flavor with nice spice and bitter aftertaste.
Medium body with light coating and a bit of residual sugars.
Good drinkability and easy to enjoy.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Dec 30, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

I am surprised that I had not reviewed this brew in the past. The brew pours to a nice dark golden copper like color with a good sized off white head. Has great retention and left chunky lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is very enticing, malt scent mixed with a nice hop aroma of Amarillo and Simcoe. The hop scent while not dominant is there and is quite nice, possible let down for hop heads. The flavors are also very nice, toasted caramel, hop flavors give a feeling of floral. Slight dry finish. Easy to drink and one of their better brews, on par with the pale ale and porter. Again, nothing way out of the ordinary and for some probably quite pedestrian but to me easy drinking, flavorful and overall well done.

Stimack, Apr 26, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

It looks like I will be the first to review this beer.

I was at Wegmans tonight when I saw this for the first time. So I picked up a sixer and decided to give it a shot. I am not disappointed, especially considering the $4.99 price. You simply cannot go wrong.

This might not be quite up there with the big boys like HopDevil and Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA, but it's certainly one smooth, quaffable IPA. This stuff goes down incredibly easy and is exceptionally satisfying.

Appearance-wise, the beer has the usual clean, refined look of High Falls' other beers, with a nice amber-gold color. The beer pours with a decent-sized head which lasts for quite some time.

The smell is quite nice with rich, fruity, zesty grapefruit notes.

The taste is of fruity, citrusy hops, reminiscent of grapefruit, coupled with an excellent malt backbone in the finish. The mouthfeel is one of smoothness. This is perhaps one of the smoothest, most easily drinkable IPAs I've ever had.

I will be buying this as long as it's on the shelves. Unfortunately, it's only a seasonal beer. I feel this needs to be a mainstay as it is perhaps the best beer to come out of High Falls Brewery, which has my respect with quality beers like this. Kudos to High Falls!

TagoMago, Aug 28, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass:

A: dark golden color and a good amount of white fizzy head that leaves a few minutes of lacing

S: Lite citrus, piney grains, and hops

T: Simply delicious. I appreciate Dundee's simple approach to brewing. Like their other offerings, nothing fancy or complex, but just a quality tastey brew. Strong crisp hoppiness that is clean on the palate.

M: A very pleasant experience. Moderate body, I feel my self-esteem rise when I drink this. Very clean and crisp, light to mid carbonation

D: Awesome! So good, I can drink more than a few of these. Excellent value. Their 12-pack mix is very fun. A delicious simple sweet stout, the pale bock, and the IPA are all very drinkable.

JDFish, Jan 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

It's been a while since I've had an IPA so I got in the mood for this one when I saw it was left over from a party.
Pours a light copper with a thin bubbly film.
Nose was very attractive. Not strong but very nuanced and tasty. Bright floral aromatics with pine, black pepper and some lemon zest.

Taste is once again very citric with mostly grapefruit and pine notes coming from the hops. A slightly sweet biscuity maltiness finished coarse and dry.

All in all this is a superbly drinkable IPA. I have'nt had this style much lately and I still did'nt get a real lot of hops from it.

If your looking to get somebody introduced to a light drinkable IPA here it is.

cooch69, Jun 12, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +24.6%

This was my first IPA when i began sampling different beers. When i took my first taste of this beer, i thought my mouth was going to explode. I've never tasted anything like IPA's before and was truly surprised.

Within no time, I was hooked on IPA's and seldom drink anything but.

I gave this one high marks simply because it was my first IPA and I still like it after several others.

FLYINGSCOOTER, Aug 09, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a light copper with fingers of off-white head with good retention. Aromas are predominantly hoppy, with sweet caramel malts also weighing in. The hoppy aroma is characterized by orange citrus, floral, and piney notes; strengthwise, they are considerably more subdued than those of other IPAs, but good nonetheless. The flavors are consistent with the nose and again, are not as overwhelming as those of many other IPAs, but tasty just the same. The medium body is extremely smooth. Finishes with orange zest lingering long. A highly drinkable beer. Easily the best of the Dundees.

droomyster, Feb 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +24%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Clear, pale copper with an inch of head and lots of carbonation. Head has remained and there is lots of lacing to be seen.

S: Piney and resinous. Expected for an IPA.

T: Quite bitter up front but this immediately gives way to a decent level of maltiness. Somewhat bitter on the finish. Overall, very well balanced.

M: Has a fairly hefty mouthfeel and body to it. Very nice.

O: Very well balanced, drinkable IPA. I would drink this one all night.

evilkalla, Apr 12, 2011

mjtiernan, Nov 15, 2011

tyleeis, Dec 16, 2011
Dundee India Pale Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.