Dundee India Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee India Pale AleDundee India Pale Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +41.4%

perhaps the best of the dundee 12 pack out now...

pours a nice dark 'tawny' with tons of subatomic lacing. nice to see! head remains for awhile without my usual violent, hearty pour. smell is oddly that of a normal pale, a bit malty. suprising but enjoyable nonetheless. a sip and a savor and gulp reveals more hops than malt by far and it's very very well balanced. again, surprised and i like that this is another fairly hopped beer that is perfect for those who want a great session IPA and those afraid of hyperhopbombs. THIS DOESN'T PRETEND TO BE, so a SHAME that some folks are judging this as if it was meant to be an APA or DIPA or something. all in all, great mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, a simply ENJOYABLE ipa....

by the way, if i thought this was mislabeled, i'd at least try another bottle to make sure before i just flat out gave it something potentially undeserving.

my bottles had plenty of hop presence.

very recommended!

edit: came back to this and it's just as exceptional for what it really is...i like the most hopbombed brews out there, but i think alot of folks who are into bitterness and not balance are dogging this brew as they do many others....

4.5/5  rDev +36%

Dundee India Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, it's gota two finger thick lumpy off-white head, droopy lacing, and a medium-dark amber body.

Smells like rich malts, not quite roasted, but still very pleasing. I'm also noticing the whole cone hops used in this beer. Not too sharp; nice and clean.

Ok, I taste the exact same components as the aroma. Nothing too sharp or offensive with this brew.

Dundee India Pale Ale's mouthfeel is clean and refreshing. Nothing lingers with this brew.

Overall, a 4.5 is given to Dundee India Pale Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. This is a fairly smooth IPA that still bring malt flavor to the table. I will buy this beer again.

4.5/5  rDev +36%

They were having a sale on Dundee sample 12-packs at a run down, country grocery store near me for something like $9:49. So I gave it a try and glad as hell I did. The 12 pack was old and dusty and even the bottle's inside were coated with such a lair of dust like it had been locked away in a storm shelter for half a decade or so, but that didn't matter a bit.
This is great stuff.

Appearance: Golden orange in color, with a half inch head that quickly shrinks down to a creamy looking thin lair that begs to be pulled on. The thick lacing record's every pull.

Smells: Lemon, grassy, grapefruit, with a subtle undercurrent of malt.

Taste: Fantastic. Hoppy as expected for it's style, but not over the top. I don't taste much malt at all.

Mouthfeel: Feels great. Very smooth, with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability: At the price I found this for it's a steal. I'll be picking up a couple more of these 12-packs, because it's damn sure worth the money.

4.32/5  rDev +30.5%

This IPA has a great head. The lacing is perfect. Lots of lemon and grass in the nose, leaving a really clean smell without being overly hoppy for an IPA. The taste is very clean, with a dry finish. Sure, it's bitter - it's an IPA - but the clean organic taste and finish is quickly making this my "go-to" IPA.

4.31/5  rDev +30.2%

Looking at the beer selection of the local supermarket I noticed a JW Dundee's variety pack, and upon slightly closer inspection, noticed there was an IPA in the mix. Add to that it was a 12 pack on sale for $7.99 and I snagged it. The IPA is the first beer I tried out of the sampler.

The first thing I want to really comment on is the fact that they specifically mention it is Amarillo and Simcoe hops in this beer. Here in Indiana I don't really know of too many offerings we get with those particular hops. This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear coppery orange. The head was somewhat unremarkable and dropped fast. The aroma is somewhat floral with a hint of citrus, overall it is somewhat subdued.

The taste is really nice. It has a nice hop bitterness at first that quickly mellows out with some citrusy, sweet malty flavors. Very smooth from start to finish. It has a medium body, and feels like it coats the tongue a little on the way down. Very drinkable beer, and could easily be a session beer. I will be disappointed if this is truly only going to be a seasonal offering as I would love to have this year round.

Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

Dundee India Pale Ale brewed by Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV 6.30% India Pale Ale pours out deep golden amber color, with a nice white head. The smell is rich with hops and malts. You also pick up on some grains in the smell . The taste is bitter at first , but a smooth aftertaste. There is a lot going on in this brew. You do pick up on the hops but they are not overpowering at all. This is one of the more mild IPA I have had. Dundee India Pale Ale has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpowering in this brew at all. The mouthfeel is bold, bitter and smooth just the right combination. Over all I'm giving Dundee India Pale Ale a 4.25 out of 5. Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. did a nice job with this one.

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

It was a decent IPA. Not my favorite but surely drinkable. It pours into what you would expect from an IPA with a nice head that sticks to the glass. The smell of hops is nice with some pine notes. The taste is good though not my favorite like I say. It has a crisp and heavy mouthfeel but finish nicely with a little bite. It has a nice drinkability if you are expecting the hop characters.

4.22/5  rDev +27.5%

A - This one is clear orange-amber-gold with a tight one finger head that shows decent retention. Lots of nice lace coats my pint glass, and turns crusty as it dries.

S - Big meaty hops jump right out of the glass. Juicy, fruity, and a bit piny. Lots of nice caramel malt is present too. This is a nice surprise! This smells really good!

T - Much like the nose, this is really hoppy, juicy, and fruity. The malt and hops are damn near perfectly balanced, and the whole range of American hop flavors are here to some extent...grapefruit, mandarin orange, pine needles, and sweet valencia oranges.

M - Medium bodied, tight, firm, and moderately carbonated. Feels meaty and firm on the palate, and the hoppy off-dry finish is really nice.

D - I am extremely impressed by this wonderful IPA from a company that I usually associate with mediocrity. This is everything that an IPA should be...nothing more, nothing less. Prototypical for an American IPA.

4.21/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle from sampler pack into Tulip glass.

A: Clear medium amber with a one finger white head. Very appetizing.
S: Typical IPA hoppy smell. Sweet mandarin orange, blueberry, slight floral smell, and a hint of pine.
T: A slight bitter taste that doesn't hit as hard as some of the West Coast IPA's do. Sweet caramel malt flavors are noted after the bitterness. Fairly sweet, with an aftertaste that lasts no more than a few seconds. Not too bad.
F: Medium body with decent carbonation, slightly sweet, but with good hop bite.
O: A GREAT budget IPA. I got this from their sampler, but wouldn't mind getting a whole six pack. Not very offensive, and would be a good starter for someone looking to try IPA's who hasn't gotten used to their bitterness yet.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

Standard good looking IPA; medium orange body with a one finger head of nearly white foam that proveds a decent sticky lacing. Hints of red also appear in this one so a little darker than some others I've had lately.

Lots of toffee with a big, subtle (if that makes sense) smell of English hops, or at least a similar American low-cohumulone hop.

Lots of toffee and a little caramel followed by spicy hops giving of notes of cinnamon, light pepper and finishes with a little green vegetation. Much better than I expected, I am happy to report.

Quite smooth with enough carbonation to give it a light crispiness in the middle of the sip.

Coming from the honey-brown people this is a decent English style IPA, a style that I am not usually a fan of. I get thrown off by the toffee in these brews and much prefer the west coast style IPAs, but the hops in this one are delicious and I am humbled a little for attempting to judge this book by its cover.

P.S. After reading the BA Mag review I think that it is the very reason that the hops step all over the malts is why I like this one. I could see how that is not great for the style, but I like them clean and this one is certainly that.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

Regular 12oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off cap. Label and cap are green and shows a ship in a bottle.
Clear copper honey body with low carbonation. Good lace and decent retention.
Nice mild hoppy scent with a touch of pine, biscuit and licorice.
Hoppy flavor with nice spice and bitter aftertaste.
Medium body with light coating and a bit of residual sugars.
Good drinkability and easy to enjoy.

4.12/5  rDev +24.5%

It's been a while since I've had an IPA so I got in the mood for this one when I saw it was left over from a party.
Pours a light copper with a thin bubbly film.
Nose was very attractive. Not strong but very nuanced and tasty. Bright floral aromatics with pine, black pepper and some lemon zest.

Taste is once again very citric with mostly grapefruit and pine notes coming from the hops. A slightly sweet biscuity maltiness finished coarse and dry.

All in all this is a superbly drinkable IPA. I have'nt had this style much lately and I still did'nt get a real lot of hops from it.

If your looking to get somebody introduced to a light drinkable IPA here it is.

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

I am surprised that I had not reviewed this brew in the past. The brew pours to a nice dark golden copper like color with a good sized off white head. Has great retention and left chunky lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is very enticing, malt scent mixed with a nice hop aroma of Amarillo and Simcoe. The hop scent while not dominant is there and is quite nice, possible let down for hop heads. The flavors are also very nice, toasted caramel, hop flavors give a feeling of floral. Slight dry finish. Easy to drink and one of their better brews, on par with the pale ale and porter. Again, nothing way out of the ordinary and for some probably quite pedestrian but to me easy drinking, flavorful and overall well done.

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass:

A: dark golden color and a good amount of white fizzy head that leaves a few minutes of lacing

S: Lite citrus, piney grains, and hops

T: Simply delicious. I appreciate Dundee's simple approach to brewing. Like their other offerings, nothing fancy or complex, but just a quality tastey brew. Strong crisp hoppiness that is clean on the palate.

M: A very pleasant experience. Moderate body, I feel my self-esteem rise when I drink this. Very clean and crisp, light to mid carbonation

D: Awesome! So good, I can drink more than a few of these. Excellent value. Their 12-pack mix is very fun. A delicious simple sweet stout, the pale bock, and the IPA are all very drinkable.

4.09/5  rDev +23.6%

It looks like I will be the first to review this beer.

I was at Wegmans tonight when I saw this for the first time. So I picked up a sixer and decided to give it a shot. I am not disappointed, especially considering the $4.99 price. You simply cannot go wrong.

This might not be quite up there with the big boys like HopDevil and Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA, but it's certainly one smooth, quaffable IPA. This stuff goes down incredibly easy and is exceptionally satisfying.

Appearance-wise, the beer has the usual clean, refined look of High Falls' other beers, with a nice amber-gold color. The beer pours with a decent-sized head which lasts for quite some time.

The smell is quite nice with rich, fruity, zesty grapefruit notes.

The taste is of fruity, citrusy hops, reminiscent of grapefruit, coupled with an excellent malt backbone in the finish. The mouthfeel is one of smoothness. This is perhaps one of the smoothest, most easily drinkable IPAs I've ever had.

I will be buying this as long as it's on the shelves. Unfortunately, it's only a seasonal beer. I feel this needs to be a mainstay as it is perhaps the best beer to come out of High Falls Brewery, which has my respect with quality beers like this. Kudos to High Falls!

4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

This was my first IPA when i began sampling different beers. When i took my first taste of this beer, i thought my mouth was going to explode. I've never tasted anything like IPA's before and was truly surprised.

Within no time, I was hooked on IPA's and seldom drink anything but.

I gave this one high marks simply because it was my first IPA and I still like it after several others.

4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a light copper with fingers of off-white head with good retention. Aromas are predominantly hoppy, with sweet caramel malts also weighing in. The hoppy aroma is characterized by orange citrus, floral, and piney notes; strengthwise, they are considerably more subdued than those of other IPAs, but good nonetheless. The flavors are consistent with the nose and again, are not as overwhelming as those of many other IPAs, but tasty just the same. The medium body is extremely smooth. Finishes with orange zest lingering long. A highly drinkable beer. Easily the best of the Dundees.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Clear, pale copper with an inch of head and lots of carbonation. Head has remained and there is lots of lacing to be seen.

S: Piney and resinous. Expected for an IPA.

T: Quite bitter up front but this immediately gives way to a decent level of maltiness. Somewhat bitter on the finish. Overall, very well balanced.

M: Has a fairly hefty mouthfeel and body to it. Very nice.

O: Very well balanced, drinkable IPA. I would drink this one all night.

A: Pours amber to gold with a slight haze. 2” off-white foam collar hugs the glass producing excellent lace.
S: Floral, spice, pine, grapefruit, light malts.
T: Starts with light fruit and some caramel flowing into a grapefruit bitterness and dries out on the finish.
M: Medium body and medium carbonation to slightly above medium
O: An easy drinking India pale ale that that blends Brittish and North American qualities.

Poured into a glass, leaves a nice 3/4" head that actually lasted a little while. Good smell, reminds you of a good micro-brew IPA. The first sip (gulp) is really quite good. Certainly not the most bitter IPA ever (no Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA!), but for something coming out of a variety pack, this is very good. Leaves you with a bit of a heavy feeling in your stomach at first, but maybe that is because I drink beer fast. It passes quickly and then you feel like another one! A good beer for fish'n'chips drenched in malt vinegar and Tabasco sauce. This rates pretty high for me out of this particular variety pack. This and the Pale Bock are undoubtedly my favorites.

To anyone who says this is a "starter" IPA, I would suggest getting off your high horse. This may not be the strongest, but it's an enjoyable brew. Not bad, Dundee!

After the pour and a glance at some of the stats of the beer, this looks like a promising addition to the mix pack. 6.3% alcohol shows they're not skimping on quality, just in terms of material costs. The variety of styles (some better than others). We'll have to see how it goes.

Pours a squash colored copper with a nice pure white head at first, dies down with some thick lacing within a couple minutes.

Aroma is kind of a rusty cascade. But not metallic like smelling the inside of an aluminum can that is usually a flaw, I think it's more from the amber malt in there. Light and clean with a bit of a "freshly made salad" kind of character. Not great in comparison to SN Celebration which has pure hop character but this has a brisk, clean, springlike aroma.

Taste has great balance off the bat. Great body, texture, light cascade, and copper malt combination. I really enjoy this kind of IPA compared to the tasteless, hop-devil type stuff. It's a little watery but I think this is a great spring beer. Any more could make it a little intense for that kind of a feel. Just enough bite lingering in the background. I'll probably pick up some six-packs of this or it'd be great on tap.

I picked up a mix pack of JW Dundee beers because I actually never knew there was anything other than Honey Brown until I saw it. I was actually impressed with this one. Poured a very lucid orange/amber color with a good head. Smelled of piney hops which is one of my favorite smells in beer. Tasted much like the smell with upfront piney hops and then a mild malt balance in the finish. Not bad.

I'll admit I wasn't expecting much out of this beer but was pleasantly surprised.

A - Clear amber with a little orange mixed in. 2 fingers of tan head

S - Sweet malts, some citrus hops and pine. very pleasant but not what I was expecting out of an IPA

T - Good hop flavor not much for bitterness. I was expecting it to be a little more malty sweetness from the nose but the taste is more in line with the style

M - Medium body with medium carbonation, good feel

D - Actually pretty solid example, easy to drink and enjoyable

Dundee IPA from the twevle bottle variety pack. I have wanted to sample some of these beers but usually only see the Honey Brown.

Beer poured from the bottle into a shaker glass. Nice copper color with a nice two finger head. Nice bubble action in the glass

A very fruity, citrusy nose. Taste is bitter and reflects the hops. The hops perk up the taste buds. The beer is very good. Genny can make some good beers. I would definitely buy this again. $12 bucks for the 12 pack. A good value and a very nice beer

12oz bottle form the variety 12 pack. drank out of my sierra nevada hop tulip glass. no freshness information to be found.

A- this one pours out a hazy golden orange colored body with a small eggshell colored head on it. the head quickly fades to no more than a crown and leaves behind even rings of lacing.

S- caramel and toffee malts upfront. after that comes a mix of american hops. lots of pine and a bit of grapefruit. this smells well balanced.

T- the taste is much like the smell. caramel malts with a little bit of toffee upfront. theres a little bit of alcohol that i can taste. the finish is pretty hoppy. lots of grapefruit and pine. pretty well balanced for an IPA.

M- medium bodied with a slightly high level of carbonation.

D- easy to drink. given the price per bottle, this is something that i could see myself drinking somewhat often. unfortunately, this only comes as part of a variety pack and i didnt really care much for the rest.

Dundee India Pale Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.