Dundee Festive Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Festive AleDundee Festive Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 10-24-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Festive Ale Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

I haven't reviewed beer since I can remember but I feel like I have to give this beer some needed credit.

A: Transparent copper body and the head doesn't stay around very long. It is subtly carbonated as it sits in my pilsener glass.

S: FESTIVE! I smell the spices and malts. It's what I expect out of most winter warmers that are labeled as such. And it's not overpowering by any means.

T: Dundee specifically states: With a mild nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and orange peel spice character. It's on the back of the bottle. Well the complexity is there and the orange comes in on the tail end. I was a bit surprised that it was this good.

M: It's malty the whole way through with the added spices kicking into gear. Spice up front, orange in the back, with little carbonation in the way.

D: 6.20% ABV is perfect for allowing this festive beer to be enjoyed more than once in a sitting. Considering I am on my second in 15 minutes... I don't really plan on stopping on a third either!

Happy holidays!

MLasoski, Nov 27, 2010

DaveEcenrode, Jun 07, 2013

pcsnyder, May 10, 2013

TrojanWheels, Jan 19, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. brown bottle.

This one surprised me. I like brown, malty, "holiday-spiced" style beers, such as Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig, so I approached this one with high hopes but low confidence. It was good!

A: Very attractive dark brown with a reddish hue in the light. Nice tan head.

S: Warm spices marked the appealing aroma. Ready to take a sip.

T&M: Very tasty, with all of the winter spices coming together quite nicely. The carbonation and a hint of balancing hops on the back. Refreshing. Not cloying to my palate.

D: Very drinkable. Some winter brews are to sweet. Not this one. I could have gone for at least another before perhaps wanting to switch out.

I recommend this one for those who enjoy this style of beer.

RobH, Feb 07, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

wrightst, Jun 27, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

I was surprised to see this Dundee seasonal in a 6-pack in MA as all the prior seasonals were only in variety 12-packs. Only $4.99 for the 6-er. While I've previously enjoyed both the seasonal Bock and IPA, I thought this was the best of the seasonals I've tasted to date - particularly when compared to other spiced winter warmer-type products I've purchased.

Pours an amber color with excellent head retention. Spice smell is fortunately not overpowering nor is the spice taste in the ale itself. The brewer practiced moderation in the spices used which, to my mind, made the beer rate very highly on the drinkability chart. I'm not usually a fan of spiced beers but this one is an exception and I'll be making some repeat purchases. Probably the first time I've said that about a spiced beer.

Greenlabel, Dec 31, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a Libby ale glass, this American wassail is remarkable for its unpretentious character, with very good balance. The emphasis is ale here, not dumped down with spices like Harpoon's wretched Winter Warmer.
Perhaps it is because I obtained a very fresh sample, but it seems that this year's Dundee Festive Ale is the best one produced. I am going to pour one of these tonight on St. Nikolas Eve. Cheers!

thebeerdoctor, Dec 05, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a medium copper color with massive tannish head. One of the best lacings I've seen on a beer.
Smell is spicy-fruity with strong notes of malt mixed with Christmas spices.
Taste is strong and and malty with the background spices making a nice compliment.
Finish present a nice balancing dryness that is a grea ending to this beer.
Drinkability is perfect. Nicely done, especially at $16.99 a case of 24.

tgbljb, Dec 25, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

12oz brown bottle from Lou's. Translucent red body with about an inch of off-white head. Biscuit malt and nut dominate the aroma with hints of frutiness. Nut and roasty caramel malt dominate the flavor, with suggestions of spice. Creamy medium body. While not the best winter beer I've had, a really good one, and exceeded my expectations considering the brand and brewery.

MrHurmateeowish, Jan 29, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I like this!

Maybe it is because I'm getting a little over-hopped, but this malty, caramel(y), sweet, slightly spiced, amber is going down fantastically.

This is a good winter warmer, I'll be using this as my winter fix when I get a craving for a Summit Octoberfest.

cadenwhitaker, Dec 21, 2008

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #35 (Dec 2009):

Sunset amber color, perfect clarity with a healthy lacing on the glass. Hints of pie spice, caramel and orange peel in the nose. Dry palate with a moderate- to medium-sized body; clean with a big crispness. Flavors jump from caramel to toasted bread, taffy to mild pie spice, orange peel to an even hand of hops. None of the spices seem to jump out in front of any other. Quick kiss of alcoholic warmth in the dry finish.

Lots of balance here, and no overwhelming complexities or over-spicing to kill drink- ablilty; meaning you could have more than one and not feel the need to move on.

BeerAdvocate, Jan 03, 2011

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011

Pours a beautiful one finger head with a clear amber color.

Smell is of aromatic malt. The caramel sweetness on the nose is very very nice.

The spices are a bit weak, but I like the malting. The aromatic and caramel malt properties of the beer are nice.

Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing, adequate carbonation, sticks to the palate well.

Not bad, I want some more spice for a winter warmer. There is a nice maltiness and a good balancing bitterness.

I am not the style police and I rate accordingly.

jasonjlewis, Feb 01, 2009

memoulds, Nov 16, 2011

mpulcini, Dec 05, 2011

Pours a medium red color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks ok for the style.

Aroma is spicy with a hint of nutmeg that seems to stand out. Not sure if it quite nutmeg but definitely a bit spicy. A bit sweet as well.

A bit of nutmeg shows up along with sweet malt. Pretty average but there is a bit of chewiness from the malt. Not very strong so easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spice and chewy malt. Very nice. Definitely enjoyable.

Not bad at all. Easy to drink and it shows that High Falls can produce beers that even though they may not take home awards, are still quite drinkable.

Brad007, Dec 06, 2009

hmmmbeer10, Apr 03, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Appears a nice amber color and is very clear. The head is tan and looks nice at first, but quickly disappears and leaves absolutely no lacing.

Nose is spicy and malty. Not too strong, but there is a hint of alcohol in the nose. Taste is very interesting. Everything works together well and blends together nicely. Sweet up front and then the spiciness comes through. There's even a hint of orange towards the end.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Goes down nicely. Overall, a good brew. Better than expected, and this is nice on a cold winter evening.

zimm421, Dec 18, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

$4.50 a six pack! Cheap. Pours a very dark brownish-red with a quickly fading head. Toasty, rather bread-like malt aroma. Very nice malty flavor, a good blend of light caramel and light roast, together with a pleasantly subtle spiciness, clove I think. Bitterness is moderate but balances the sweetness well.

The Dundee's line is surprisingly good for the price. I haven't paid under $5 for a craft micro sixer since the early 90s. Better than many more that are twice or three times as expensive.

allengarvin, Dec 21, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Has a nice head that creeps away slowly. It is a beautiful tea like color, with a nice cloudyness.
Smell is of many spices with a light malt appearance. Has so much going on you could smell this for a day and keep finding stuff in it. you can smell oranges and cinnamon as well.
very dry, but great taste. you can taste everything individually. Caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.
you could drink a few of these and you would be good to go. is great straight to the finish.

IIKaRuII, Jan 13, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance - Pours a dark amber color with an inch thick, off-white head. Has nice lacing.

Smell - The smell is very feint.. but I detect cinnamon, coriander, and some other spices I can't point out.

Taste - Lots of spices. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, coriander, light caramel flavor, and clove. Has a very bitter finish and somewhat of an alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel - Thick in body with high carbonation.

Overall - I love Dundee and this is a pretty good winter warmer. Better than others I've had.

jsisko01, Dec 23, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Saw this at my local grocer... thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured dark amber, tan frothy head, good retention, excellent lacing. Faint tire smoke, and prunes...what a combo...not bad though...interesting. Malty caramel,molasses, slightly astringent, carbonated balance. A little thin on the mouth, good drinkability.

Didn't expect much here, it well exceeded my expectations. Worth the $6.99/6pack, I think I'll pick up another one.

scottblaze, Jan 30, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer released from the 12-ounce bottle set a deep reddish amber with a tall creamy off white head that stays a while before settling, lace forms a standard thin sheet upon the glass. Nose has a sweet malt aroma, chased up your olfactory opening by some pleasing spices; cinnamon seems to be right, caramel, and bit of bakersÂ’ chocolate, at any rate a sniffable beer. Start has a big malt sweetness; touch of bittersweet spices, top is light to medium in feel. Finish as a delectable spicy hop presence, sweet spices and a purposeful acidity, quite a nice drinking beer, do not normally care for their beers, just goes to show you never know what mollusk has a pearl in it. lol

Gusler, Oct 27, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

This was better than I expected. I have tried most of the Dundee's beers and most of them are average. This one is a beer I would seek out again. The malty nose and frothy, tan head start this beer off right. The taste is a biscuit and toast blend with barely any noticeable hops. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky; a trait I find in all beers from this line. Drinkability is good. I will look for this again.

Maestro, Dec 27, 2006
Dundee Festive Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.