Dundee Festive Ale - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Festive AleDundee Festive Ale

good

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 10-24-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Festive Ale Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

I haven't reviewed beer since I can remember but I feel like I have to give this beer some needed credit.

A: Transparent copper body and the head doesn't stay around very long. It is subtly carbonated as it sits in my pilsener glass.

S: FESTIVE! I smell the spices and malts. It's what I expect out of most winter warmers that are labeled as such. And it's not overpowering by any means.

T: Dundee specifically states: With a mild nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and orange peel spice character. It's on the back of the bottle. Well the complexity is there and the orange comes in on the tail end. I was a bit surprised that it was this good.

M: It's malty the whole way through with the added spices kicking into gear. Spice up front, orange in the back, with little carbonation in the way.

D: 6.20% ABV is perfect for allowing this festive beer to be enjoyed more than once in a sitting. Considering I am on my second in 15 minutes... I don't really plan on stopping on a third either!

Happy holidays!

MLasoski, Nov 27, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Got thisone on sale as it was released at a good price with all the dundee's, im pleased I did.

It poured real nice. Deep reddish amber, slight off-white soft head of two inches. Sets to a nice half inch ring to lace fair.

Notes of spice and malts on the nose.

Tastes is malty yet crisp with spice of clove and cinnamon. Kinda typical but done well.

Feels good on the mouth with malty esters to go well with food.

Drinkable indeed. The 6.2% is a nice touch as I like my winter brews kicked up abit.

chilidog, Nov 20, 2010

I say about this beer what I'll say about all of Dundee's beers: If you want to teach someone about beer, by some Dundee styles and train them on what are simple examples of the various styles. I think they empty the brewery's spice rack with this one as the flavor profile is all over the place. It is an interesting treat for those long winter nights.

Plokhooy, Sep 08, 2010

12 oz. bottle tried 3 Dec 2007 (as JW Dundee's Festive Ale).

Medium sized thick yellowish white head. Well carbonated. Deep brown with garnet highlights. Very strong aroma of bananas and cloves. Lots of bubblegum and banana in the flavor. Some clove and nutmeg. Finish is slightly acrid. Not much of an aftertaste. Body is light.

Banana seemed a bit out of place in a winter warmer...

htomsirveaux, Jul 01, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Out of a bottle this Winter Warmer was a hazy amber color with one finger of tan head that had some reddish highlights to it. As I consumed the beer the head retained itself at first but eventually disappeared entirely. However, the lacing was in sliding patches while it lasted. The aroma was of caramel malt, rye, spices, dark fruit, some alcohol, wood and a little must. The flavors were similar, starting with the caramel malt note in then went into the more woody elements accentuated by the spices followed by the bitterness of a slightly-over-the-hill beer. Admittedly, though well cared for, this brew four months ago would have been better. It was malty at first, then dry and earthy and that was about it. The body was medium, the mouthfeel average and the carbonation fine.

thekevlarkid, Jun 23, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Pours a dark copper color with a 2 inch head that fades to a 1/2 inch cap. Lacing is fair.

S - Smells of sweetness and spices. I am also getting a fruit aroma. Pie like?

T - Mild sweetness with pie like spices. There is a biscuit aftertaste.

M - This bottle was flat. This gave the beer a thick and somewhat unenjoyable mouthfeel.

D - I didn't like this one. I got this beer in a Winter brews sampler pack on clearance. I have never seen this company's beer other than this one bottle, but I wouldn't be interested in another.

UCLABrewN84, May 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +8%

Excellent starting head. It leaves some broken ring lace. The liquid is a hazy, reddish dark amber color.

Very mild aroma of mostly malt with a background of ginger and cinnamon.

Typical winter warmer spices of nutmeg, clove and cinnamon hit the tongue up front. The beer is a strongly malty concoction. It's neither dry nor sweet. I like the full body with a spritzy level of carbonation. The aftertaste is sweeter than the taste; it has elements of scotch ale. I note vanilla and cardamon spice in the swallow.

This is more complex than I first gave credit. As with all my surprise beers, I'd love to try this in a blindfolded flight with similar offerings. I suspect that this beer would do better than the average.

smcolw, Apr 18, 2010

Kind of thought this would of been better. I usually like dundee beers so I gave this a try. Poured out a nice dark amber with good head. A sweet caramel is all I could really get out of the smell as well as the taste. Aftertase for me was pretty alcoholic. Not the spicy, lively festive ale i was expecting. A good beer nonetheless.

PorterJunkie, Apr 18, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

My bottle has a silver/black 'Special Edition' label and claims a 6.3% rather than the listed 6.2. Still has High Falls as the brewing company, so this might be aged a year or more. I am thinking it is the same beer as this listing. Search of the Genesee website turns up nothing. 12 oz bottle pours a pretty clear dark brown color with a decent cap of khaki colored foam. Dissipates pretty quick but leaves some nice sheets of lace.

Nose is sweet oxidized malts, candy corn, roasted pumpkin seeds and cinnamon. An interesting and eclectic smelling brew.

Taste still has plenty of sweet spices with a burnt caramel maltiness. Some blackened toast comes in at the end and it seems like most of the hop presence has left this beer some time ago. Finishes spice-laden and wet. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and there is a bit too much of a burnt spice flavor for my liking. Still, better than I thought it would be and there is surprisingly not a whole lot of oxidized malt in here.

twiggamortis420, Apr 02, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some citrus. Taste is good , malts, spices and citrus. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this makes for a fine quality brew.

tone77, Mar 20, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours a nice ruby-copper tone with a smallish off-white head of creamy foam that falls away quickly to a thin crown, leaving very little lacing as it disappears.

In the nose is a fairly typical winter spice blend, showing some ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and surprisingly a little alcohol as the beer warms up a little. Definitely not expecting that one. Some mild buttery notes appear underneath as well, with perhaps a slight hint of toast.

The body and mouthfeel are both a little light, perhaps medium-bodied, and the carbonation livens things up and lightens the mouthfeel significantly. A good deal of toffee up front, with some buttered toast moving in shortly afterward. A mild hop bitterness and a play of spices show up toward the middle, drying things up for the finish, which leaves a lingering impression of biscuit and nutmeg.

Pretty drinkable, but nothing to gawk over as far as Winter Warmers go. Still, for the low price of $5.99 a six-pack, it's hard to argue with this beer, as it provides almost unrivaled bang-for-your-buck value.

superdedooperboy, Feb 26, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a pint glass beer was a medium brown in color with a small head and very light lacing. Smell was rather weak from what i was expecting with only a hint of caramel and nutmeg. Taste wasn't bad but not as pronounced in the spice dept. as advertised. This seemed a little weak and maybe a bit flat to me. Dry finish with a little lingering nutmeg aftertaste. Mouthfeel was light with low carb bite. Drinkability was not a problem for me with the 6.2 abv barely noticeable. Not bad overall but pretty much a ho-hum beer in my eyes. I picked up a six tonite on a whim for $4.99 so what the heck? I don't see myself beating a path to the store for more but not bad for dundee. Buying this from the local martins grocery store probably didn't help this beer any what with the way they store and display their offerings.

kalkavekkian, Feb 11, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, mahogany-hued body with a thin, wispy, whitish head.

Smell: Subtle aroma which fails to incite a feel of winter, and only come across as very mild, limp notes of brown sugar, not-so-fragrant spices including orange peel. Wow, now I'm really on the edge of my seat!

Taste: Modest earthy maltiness displays tastes of brown sugar and a touch of cocoa from the dark malts. Stingy, indirect dose of cinnamon and other spices and just the thinnest degree of orange peel. Hint of bitterness. A bit of light this, a bit of light that until you arrive at the dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not one I'll be revisiting. For me, it comes up as far too thin and lacking for a wintertime ale or even for a beer with the word "festive" in the title.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 07, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

A 12 ounce bottle, thanks to brothercannon for this. Poured into my shaker glass. The ale appears a clear golden amber color with about a quarter-inch of off white foam. Nose and flavors consist of toasted grains, bread, mild notes of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and citrus (mainly orange), light caramel sweetness, a bit of spiciness on the tongue, candied apples. Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Lightly spiced and uncomplicated. Thanks again Tim.

ClockworkOrange, Feb 01, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

I have had the Dundee products before and felt that they have done well with a few of their offerings so I saw this at my local beer store, they where just unloading cases of it at 2.99 a 6 pack or 10 for a case. Decided to just get a 6 pack and give it a try as some of the holiday beers I feel are over spiced. This one poured to a dark amber color with a thick head that while being off white seemed to have some of the amber color in it. The aroma was fair to say the least, the spice was there but was not over the top and there was a nice malt presence that seemed to give a slight nutty caramel like scent. The spice was nutmeg, with a bit of cinnamon. The flavors where also quite good, spice was there but again not over the top. The flavors give a slight impression of a brown ale, which seems to be a great base, caramel with a slight chocolate taste. Cinnamon is tame, which is a good thing while I think the nutmeg stands out a bit. Overall, a pretty easy drinking brew. In hind site I wish I had picked up the case, as the beer is pretty good, especially for the price.

Stimack, Jan 29, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Apearance - Pours a clear dark amber with a one finger beige head that doesn't stay around long.

Nose- Cinnamon and nutmeg are dominant, but caramel and orangepeel are also present.

Palate- The spices steal the show on this one. Orange, cinnamon, allspice and pepper. The malt brings some caramel and a hint of chocolate to the table. Hops do not stand out.

Mouthfeel- A little thin on the body, but adequate carbonation.

Drinkability- I could put back a few of these and not complain.

Overall- The best Dundee offering I have had yet. I am mildly impressed.

wknight167, Jan 19, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

About a finger of rich beige head sits atop a dark amber brew. I've got quite a bit of carbonation bubbling up from my SA pint glass. Burnt brown sugar aroma with hints of spices (nutmeg is most dominant for me) caramel and oranges. Malty on the front and the spices are pretty tame, but they do seem to build. Allspice is the most notable on the palette. This is the best Dundee offering I've had, but I'd not go out of my way to have it again.

alkemy, Jan 08, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Head settles to about a half inch of tan foam. Clear dark orange/brown body.

Smell: Nutmeg and cinnamon are the dominant forces in the aroma, especially the cinnamon.

Taste: I think the cinnamon might be a little overdone. Pretty good winter warmer but perhaps a little over spiced.

BierFan, Dec 30, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -19%

I poured into a pint glass to a huge, frothy, beige head. It is dark amber in color. The smell is spicey, maybe some citrus and brown sugar. I get an alcohol smell after it warms up. It tastes a little bit cinamon, a little bit caramel, some spice. It gets a noticeable alcohol presence when its warm. I had this stuff of tap and it tasted a whole lot better than these bottles do. I guess that's the case for most beer. Very mediocre.

Happy Festivus!

P.S. And now for the airing of grievances!

buschbeer, Dec 24, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

The festival ale in the festival winter bottle pours a clear mahogany into my Saison Dupont pilsner glass, decent ivory head nestled on top.

Aroma starts turning suspect on this brew, just weak hints of sweet malt and winter spice (nutmeg, cinnamon). And I mean weak.

But the quaff turns it up a notch, molasses and caramel adding a nice touch - and not ratcheting up the sweetness. There is enough English woody resin and hop to balance out the brew fairly well. Still, the allspice adds an oddball flavor to the finish.

Not a bad winter warmer, but much better offerings on the market.

Vancer, Dec 17, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Dundees Festive Ale, brewed with spices. Dundee's Tavarn is pictured on the label.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. An off white soda like crackly head forms and then disappears in about a minute. Copper colored brew.

Smell isn't very strong. Malt and just a whiff of something floral. As it warms the spices become more apparant.

Tastes initially malty with faint spices building into the finish. Nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice reflect the spice character which actually seems to build on the palate as the beer is consumed. Hops not very apparant just a vague bitterness to be found.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp, the spice adding a dryness to the finish.

A drinkable winter warmer, no frills and no surprises. Let this one get to optimum temperature for best results.

Stinkypuss, Dec 15, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -2%

Pours a copper color with 1 finger of head that fades to a thin covering with some chunky lacing. The nose is dominated by a roasted malt aroma with some hints of sweetness and fruit. Has a nice, malty taste with quite a bit of crispness from the carbonation that keeps it lively on the tongue. Just a hint of some spice, mostly the nutmeg, before finishing with a slightly bitter, lingering, somewhat plastic taste. Body is on the thin side of medium. Despite a somewhat funky finish, not a bad beer.

curasowa, Dec 12, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pours a brown-amber with less than a finger of head. Some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Some toasty malts and holiday spices. Nothing too exciting.

T: Sweet malts along with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Pretty simple, but tasty nonetheless.

M: Pretty light bodied, not a lot of carbonation.

D: This brew is nothing special, but it's decent. It's a simple, run of the mill Christmas seasonal.

MrDanno96, Dec 12, 2009

Pours a medium red color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks ok for the style.

Aroma is spicy with a hint of nutmeg that seems to stand out. Not sure if it quite nutmeg but definitely a bit spicy. A bit sweet as well.

A bit of nutmeg shows up along with sweet malt. Pretty average but there is a bit of chewiness from the malt. Not very strong so easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spice and chewy malt. Very nice. Definitely enjoyable.

Not bad at all. Easy to drink and it shows that High Falls can produce beers that even though they may not take home awards, are still quite drinkable.

Brad007, Dec 06, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a Libby ale glass, this American wassail is remarkable for its unpretentious character, with very good balance. The emphasis is ale here, not dumped down with spices like Harpoon's wretched Winter Warmer.
Perhaps it is because I obtained a very fresh sample, but it seems that this year's Dundee Festive Ale is the best one produced. I am going to pour one of these tonight on St. Nikolas Eve. Cheers!

thebeerdoctor, Dec 05, 2009
Dundee Festive Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.