Dundee Porter - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee PorterDundee Porter

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 11-04-2006)

bmcduff2, Jan 24, 2012

mwbrady12, Jul 17, 2013

chefduff2, Jan 05, 2013

Bretttt, May 22, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -47.1%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: Dark, dark brown, almost completely opaque with a tan head with weak retention but ok lacing.

S: Swells sweet and malty with not hops balance.

T: Malty sweetness up front, cloying all the way through. Acrid metallic flavor in the finish.

M: High carbonation with a syrupy, unclean finish.

Notes: I have disliked all the beers from this brewer so far and the porter has as been done in an unpleasing manner. Sorry guys, your beer is just too cloyingly sweet; perhaps this is to cover up the lack of complexity?

kevinjosephlee, Nov 12, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -46.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Dark brown with amber tones. Opaque. Head recedes quickly, lacing is light.

S: Sweet malts, toast, molasses.

T: Tastes like the smell... Sweet malts, molasses, some coffee.

M: Light bodied and a little watery.

D: The best of the sampler case I picked up. Not something I'd seek out for my own drinking. But Dundee has struck me as a very good social / game / party beer, and out of their lineup I'd select this one for an occasion.

Arbitrator, Dec 17, 2008

iwillhaveanother, Aug 22, 2013

Cvescalante, Apr 30, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -39.3%

I gotta say this from the get go...

This was somthing I have walked by many a time now and never bought till now. And at a KILLER $4.99 a sixer, I couldnt pass it this time. And with the fact its a seasonal!

Poured from bottle into glass stein. Slightly warmer than the others I have done. Not freezing cold but definitly not american pub cold.

A- Black as night. Perfect or near perfect pour. Black with a tan head about 2 or 3 fingers of goodness. Dissipated to almost none.

S- Now I know this smell. And its Malt. It smells sickly sweet.
Reminds me of the same kinda smell from a cheaper malt brew. Not surprized or amazed.

T- Kinda what I suspected. Its the same as the smell. Sickly kinda sweet. Rather on the thin side. Warm after taste of alcohol. Didnt mask it. Kind of a odd aftertaste besides alcohol. And Im not happy with this one so far.

M- Thinner. Not chewy at all, no sticking to your teeth feeling.
Alcohol and malt is what Im tasting. Slippery. Almost oily. Funny alcohol taste on lips afterwards.

D- I mean yeah, its better than colt but not better than Sam Smith. What else should I say? Its strong like Colt, and smells like it to me. But I would take this any day over frat boy swill.

Overall. Im not happy. I thought this one was gonna be much better. And It didnt serve. The color the packaging and everything told me hey.... a decent cheaper porter for me to try.

And it was worth the $5 for it. But I wouldnt pay $6 for it.
You feel me?

Im sticking to Bareknuckle for now...
There still may be hope for A&B. Who knows.

Clockwork420, Jun 30, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -35.5%

Poured cold from the bottle.

This beer poured brown, but much lighter than traditional porters. The smell is nothing like a traditional porter and is much more sweet and malty. The taste is along those same lines... malty, almost no roasted-ness and not like a porter should be. The roasted flavour is barely noticeable on the aftertaste.

Would I buy it again> Absolutely not.

NilocRellim, Dec 17, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -35%

jaswilson2, May 25, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured a Coca-Cola brown into a weizen glass. Looked exactly like a glass of Coke, which I think influenced the rest of the experience for me. Aroma was of malt, sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel was thick, heavy, and chewy. The mouthfeel on this beer is just terrible. In my experience porters should be lighter-medium body and this was just syrupy in my mouth. Completely turned me off. Taste was sugary sweet, syrupy, with chocolate and a tinge of roastiness. No hop presence at all. Overall I did not like this beer. I think it is the worst of the Dundee offerings I have had so far. I like their IPA, Pale Ale, and even the Honey Brown. But this one just does not click with me and I feel does not fit the style.

ljbrisson, Feb 16, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -31.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Big tan/light brown head with decent retention and low stick.

Smell - Nutty and chocolate maltiness. A bit musky in the finish.

Taste - Stale, watered down coffee. Thin sour, bitter hop.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Astringent. Somewhat solvent.

Overall Drinkability - Meh. Not bad. Just thoroughly unimpressive.

ZenAgnostic, Dec 09, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly of coffee and chocolate with a touch of hops, but there’s a metallic background that throws the whole smell off.

T: The taste is a little bit different than most Porters. It starts out with dark fruit and, despite the smell, there’s not as much coffee and chocolate flavor as you would expect. There’s a decent hops presence for the style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, dry and sticky finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, decent representation of style, this is definitely not one of the better beers I’ve had in the style. If I’m looking for a Porter, this would be one of the last that I would select.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 08, 2007

Mrose78, Jun 29, 2014

cardinals22, Sep 24, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks azurelimits for this one. Small capped bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle actually states JW Dundee's, not Dundee.

Near black, no head.
Aroma is very faint, and so is the taste. I let the beer warm up hoping for an improvement, and not much happens. A few signs of toasted malts, faint alcohol, coffee. Very little here, did not finish mine.

brdc, Nov 10, 2008

Beer4Mike, Mar 16, 2013

amhatfield3, Sep 05, 2013

Hobby, Nov 10, 2012

tommyguz, May 08, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: This 12 oz twist-off pours almost black with ruby highlights and an impressively thick creamy head that laces up the glass and everything.

Nose: Little to speak of. Faint whisps of roasted malts. Kind of musty. I should mention that this bottle has been in the fridge since last Christmas.

Palate: Astringent. Maybe it's the lack of freshness. Maybe the grains were toasted too long. Either way, not good for me.

Mouthfeel: There's a little bit of body in there but it could be thicker.

Drinkability: Let's just say I'm thankful this was the last one in the fridge.

edskirk3, Feb 27, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -22%

Pours black with a thin tan head that becomes a patch.

The smell is light/mild - slight roasted notes.

There is a bit of chocolate - more in an "arificial sweetener" sort of way. Some fruity alcohol comes through. There are sour notes that come through as well and bring down the beer somewhat.

It attempts to be bigger than it is, but the body is just a bit too weak for the 6.5% alcohol.

Well, it's cheap. Not terrible, but the sour notes annoy me, as does the alcohol notes that come through, without the body or depth to justify it.

jwc215, Feb 10, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep dark chocolate brown. When held up to the lights there are some dark amber highlights around the sides of the glass. Even with a hard pour I didn't get much of a head at all. Nothing to be proud of to say the least. Soapy lacing that just slides down the glass and hits the beer. Almost looks like a flat soda.

S- Nice big roasted malts smell on the forefront of this beer. Soy sauce comes through the head upon further sniffs. Some low lying sweet hints come and go but never really stick around. Not a terrible smelling beer at all...expected this to be a lot worse to be honest.

T- Roasted malt upfront on this beer. Big roasted taste.Right after the intial taste it goes down hill. The middle to ending of this beer seems a little too watery for me for the style. Also, there is a strange metallic tint to this beer. Don't know if it's from oxidation or what but it kills the beer a little bit with it's annoying factor.

M- Lighter mouthfeel which I found suprising. Carbonation seems a little off and made this beer more dull and watery to me. Didn't really do anything on the palate just came and went leaving some rusted roasted tastes on the tounge.

D- This could be a very drinkable beer if a couple of things changed. First and foremost the metallic taste has to go. It ruins the beer starting with the first taste. Second this beer needs more umph..to it in the middle and end. This would be a lot better to me if they put a little more effort into the middle and end of this beer. I didn't expect much and didn't get it in return. I can see a lot of people liking and drinking this since it is kind of watered down.

alleykatking, Sep 15, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

Weak white head that disappeared within a couple minutes. Very dark brown, root beer color. Smell was good, caramel malt and light hops, although not much coffee or smokeyness. The taste was medium malt, more like a dark nut brown without the sweetness. Again, no coffee, no roasted or smokey flavors, and little, if any chocolate. As far as mouthfeel, this was slightly more heavy than your typical black and tan. Flat out thin for a porter!

Not a bad tasting beer, but not at all what you expect from something labeled a porter.
Let's hope I got an old bottle. Although, a decent bottled porter should hold up better than this.

GeezLynn, May 21, 2009
Dundee Porter from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.