Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008)
1.72/5  rDev -49.7%

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

CAN you believe that today (01 Mar) is Iceland Beer Day?!? I am having a CAN or two to help celebrate this most auspicious occasion.

My pour produced a finger of ecru head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles gently rising to the surface. Nose was really malty sweet accompanied by a light tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an unpleasant astringency, like gargling with hydrogen peroxide, in the mouth. Oof. Finish was slightly sweeter, but I just could not get past that initial taste. I have a 12-pack, so I CAN revisit this one, but for now, I am sure I will be one of the low scores.

2.6/5  rDev -24%

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

12fl oz can poured into my flute

Pours a dark bronze color with a medium tan three inch head. Good head retention that subsides above average and leaves a little foam on the edges of the beer. No lacing was noticed.

Smell is pretty much one sided with a hint of caramel and biscuit like malts.

Taste is just as the smell with just a hint of caramel and slightly biscuit like malts.

Mouthfeel is thin and has average carbonation

Overall this lacked flavor and I would not want to drink this beer again when there are better beers in the same style category.

2.65/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Got this as an extra in a trade from session1979.

Appearance: Pretty dark for a bock - dark amber (like maple syrup). Gentle carbonation within and a thin, fizzy, head on top. Not much lace to speak of. P: 3.5; N: 3.5

Smell: Funk, sugar (caramel?) and spice. Not sure if this is good funk or bad funk... it's just funk. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Taste: A little molasses on top of a malt backbone. Very slight alcoholic sting. P: 2.0; N: 3.0

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body and slick - seems to dive down the throat. Good warming and chewy with medium carbonation. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Drinkability: This is a weak bock (Nick speaking here). Thin and chewy and nearly flavorless. I'm not much of a bock fan anyway, but this one was sub-par for the style. P: 4.0; N: 2.5

Peter: C- (2.65)
Nick: C (2.9)

2.68/5  rDev -21.6%

This was a bit of a let down, because I really enjoy Genesee Cream Ale.

I like the looks of this beer.

It has a , clear copper color. An off white head. Really looks nice in the glass.

The retro can is cool too.

The mouthfeel is a little watery.

It has a faint malty smell.
Malty flavor, that leaves a cardboard taste in the mouth.

Maybe Bock beers are just not for me.

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Purchased from Warehouse Beverage in S. Euclid, I think it was $6.99 for 12. I also had a $10 bottle of Hoppin Frog so it helped balance the beer budget.

Genesee Bock is all about nostalgia for me. I remember buying cases of the stuff in college. Back then it was considered one of the best full-bodied brews you could buy, thank God those days are gone.

Appearance: A quick pour into my glass produced 3" of foam that quickly dissipated to a small film coating on the reddish-copper brew.

Smell: Not much to smell but it hints of root beer.

Taste: Sweet and malty with no balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Weak, carbonation is gone after about 15 minutes.

Drinkability: I can't have more than one, its just too malty. It really reminds me of root beer, I'll drink one for nostalgia but not 2 or 3.

I realize now that I must take the remaining 11 cans out of the Fridge. It is how it was years ago, all malt. Pretty can design though.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.