Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008

2.23/5  rDev -35.4%

CAN you believe that today (01 Mar) is Iceland Beer Day?!? I am having a CAN or two to help celebrate this most auspicious occasion.

My pour produced a finger of ecru head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles gently rising to the surface. Nose was really malty sweet accompanied by a light tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an unpleasant astringency, like gargling with hydrogen peroxide, in the mouth. Oof. Finish was slightly sweeter, but I just could not get past that initial taste. I have a 12-pack, so I CAN revisit this one, but for now, I am sure I will be one of the low scores.

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Got this as an extra in a trade from session1979.

Appearance: Pretty dark for a bock - dark amber (like maple syrup). Gentle carbonation within and a thin, fizzy, head on top. Not much lace to speak of. P: 3.5; N: 3.5

Smell: Funk, sugar (caramel?) and spice. Not sure if this is good funk or bad funk... it's just funk. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Taste: A little molasses on top of a malt backbone. Very slight alcoholic sting. P: 2.0; N: 3.0

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body and slick - seems to dive down the throat. Good warming and chewy with medium carbonation. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Drinkability: This is a weak bock (Nick speaking here). Thin and chewy and nearly flavorless. I'm not much of a bock fan anyway, but this one was sub-par for the style. P: 4.0; N: 2.5

Peter: C- (2.65)
Nick: C (2.9)

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%

12fl oz can poured into my flute

Pours a dark bronze color with a medium tan three inch head. Good head retention that subsides above average and leaves a little foam on the edges of the beer. No lacing was noticed.

Smell is pretty much one sided with a hint of caramel and biscuit like malts.

Taste is just as the smell with just a hint of caramel and slightly biscuit like malts.

Mouthfeel is thin and has average carbonation

Overall this lacked flavor and I would not want to drink this beer again when there are better beers in the same style category.

2.71/5  rDev -21.4%

This was a bit of a let down, because I really enjoy Genesee Cream Ale.

I like the looks of this beer.

It has a , clear copper color. An off white head. Really looks nice in the glass.

The retro can is cool too.

The mouthfeel is a little watery.

It has a faint malty smell.
Malty flavor, that leaves a cardboard taste in the mouth.

Maybe Bock beers are just not for me.

2.73/5  rDev -20.9%

Purchased from Warehouse Beverage in S. Euclid, I think it was $6.99 for 12. I also had a $10 bottle of Hoppin Frog so it helped balance the beer budget.

Genesee Bock is all about nostalgia for me. I remember buying cases of the stuff in college. Back then it was considered one of the best full-bodied brews you could buy, thank God those days are gone.

Appearance: A quick pour into my glass produced 3" of foam that quickly dissipated to a small film coating on the reddish-copper brew.

Smell: Not much to smell but it hints of root beer.

Taste: Sweet and malty with no balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Weak, carbonation is gone after about 15 minutes.

Drinkability: I can't have more than one, its just too malty. It really reminds me of root beer, I'll drink one for nostalgia but not 2 or 3.

I realize now that I must take the remaining 11 cans out of the Fridge. It is how it was years ago, all malt. Pretty can design though.

2.81/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to thebroth for this extra, cheers Scott!

A: Pours a blood ruby ale with superb clarity. Two finger head which is persistent. Broken sheet lacing.

S: Malt, grain, wheat, straw, slight caramel. Decent nose for the style.

T: Presents mostly a one-dimensional flavor profile. Very much grain and specialty grain. Nothing special. Very average.

M: Medium with moderate if not high carbonation. Should be much lighter body or lower carb.

D: session beer. 'Nuff said.

2.86/5  rDev -17.1%

a- can poured into a pilsener glass, two finger fluffy tan head, clear chesnut brown coloring, loads of bubbles streaming up the glass, very cool can, i'm partial to it because thats my favorite color green.

s- interesting nose - this is my first bock so i'm not so sure which notes i should be picking up. caramel malts, slight spicy hop scent, some dryness, some odd sweetness.

t- taste follows the smell, caramel malts, alot of typical lager characteristics just kicked up a notch, interesting sweetness here - like brown sugar mixed with a bit of sweet butter with some burnt caramel and light chocolate notes. some peppery, spicy notes round everything out. for me, it's not blending so well together.

m- light to medium body.

d- the drinkability is ok, since this is my first bock beer i'm not used to the flavor, and i can't say it's my favorite, i don't think i would drink this again.

2.91/5  rDev -15.7%

A- Dark brownish amber color, semi-transparent, half finger thick head that lowered to a thin cover

S- Sweet caramel malts, grains, bitter hops, strong metallic smell

T- Old grains, corn, wheat, malty, slightly sweet, flowery hops finish

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, fairly bitter

D- Not really worth buying

I'm grad that I was given a can of this beer to try because that way I don't feel ripped off. This is definaty one local brew that I can not support. It has that typical Genesee River smell and taste that I expected. I'm not quite sure how they consider this a bock beer.

2.99/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the iconic green can into a 16 oz. pint glass.

A-Dark amber to copper in color with a thick lively khaki head that rather quickly dies down to thin, fizzy head. No lacing, no problem.

S-Rich sweet malty aroma with some carmelized sugar and honey mixed in. Also, some husky, corn adjunct aromas, but nothing offensive or off putting.

T-Malt up front with a slightly roasty, hoppy, bitter and noticeably crisp finish. This beer has a surprisingly rich and earthy flavor profile. There is even the most subtle play of dried, dark fruits on the palate. Nothing really too complex, but there is enough here to keep you coming back for more. Dare I say sessionable? Yes, I dare.

M-Thin bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O-Very pleasant. Worth drinking. Good way to welcome in the Spring, and it is my Super Bowl beer of choice. Most people wouldn't expect this caliber of beer when the see the Genesee name on it. It is not the best beer or bock in the world by a long shot, but I challenge you to do any better for the money.

Pours a golden-amber (copper) in color, and appears quite a sight when held up to direct sunlight on a bright spring day. Two-fingered medium-tan head falls quickly, and leaves just a touch of residual lacing as it subsides. Carbonation is better than adequate : )

The nose is decent. It's got a somewhat characteristic metallic/lager quality paired with lightly acidic/tannic (hops?) note, with a lightly-sweet malt profile bringing up the rear. Seems like it wants to be a sweeter beer than it is...

Light blast of golden, sun-ripened apple and pear, an almost citric hop bite, some lingering roast/dark malt toward the end... Fairly dry and almost tart as it lingers. Light note of raisin and dried cherry, a touch of alcohol in the aromatics, not much really.

Lighter-bodied than I was expecting, but not "Light-bodied". Reminds me a little bit of "Shiner Bock" in this sense, although I think this one has Shiner beat in terms of malt profile. I'd prefer a more robust bock to this, but in a pinch or in a can* this one would be just fine.

Altogether, this is an average bock, but in a can? The very idea of disc golf or hiking with this one along for the ride has me thinking about giving it higher marks : )

Definitely worth a try, might be worth trading for (hint, hint). *Cheers to Brother Woody Chandler for the CANS!

Code: 0589 R 07:23

3.02/5  rDev -12.5%

P- Thanks to my buddy Captain Bennett for this beer....however, I am leary of it.

A- a mahogany color that is clear as well as a 2 finger head that has some staying power. I am quite impressed with the appearance even though the had has huge carbonation bubbles through it.

S- Sour maltness that over powers the roasted hints I can gather. nothing else to get excited about.

F- sour malt mash and apple cider vinegar.

M- vinegar malts and dry for a bock

O-I didn't expect much because its genesee but it is a smidgen better than what I expected.

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

First off, I love the retro design Genny used for the can.

Pours clear copper with a thin layer of lace.

Smell is husky and grainy first, but behind that lies a bit of caramel.

Taste is slightly metallic, more husk and a bit of dextrin with some mild adjunct flavor; corn probably. All that said, this isn't an undrinkable beer and I'd rank it ahead of Mich Amber Bock. There is a good helping of caramel malt and distinct but reserved lemony hops in the finish.

Not really craft beer, but not macro-slop either. A bargain at 6.99 per 12.

3.04/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a can into a Sam Adams style pint glass.

Appearance: Poured with a relatively quickly dissipating head and is a brilliant copper color that is crystal clear.

The smell is malty and slightly hoppy with sort of weird tinny smell that reminds me of beer being kept in a can too long.

Taste: Malty with hints of hops, a little on the watery side, but only noticeable if being critical. Fades to a nice clean malt finish.

Mouthfeel: I thought this one was going to be overcarbed and I was wrong. Good carbonation for style, slightly low on body.

Overall impression: This beer is an enjoyable but average bock style beer that has one big thing going for it, cost. It cost about 7 bucks for the 12er. This is probably a beer that will go into the rotation simply for this reason.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks goes out to JoeyBeerBelly for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus fizzy off-white head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is malty and lots of caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with lots of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew.

3.07/5  rDev -11%

Appearance - a fine looking orange/amber color, looks like an OFest. Almost two fingers of creamy light tan head. Not long-lived but puts up a nice chunky ring of lace around the high water mark and a few pillar-like columns down the glass.

Aroma - very standard grain, MGD-like.

Taste - perhaps the 'cream ale' of bocks? The graininess is almost that of a standard lager level, but with a Milleresque flavor. Some nice caramel malt flavor present once the palate adjusts a bit, a little toastiness to boot. I have to say, for a beer with elements of macro, this also has a nice flair of good flavor running through it as well.

Mouthfeel - light and crisp, not what I'd want from a bock, but there is a note of smoothness.

Drinkability - not a true bock in terms of strength, but it has some bock character in the taste. Not the worst spring beer, I'd have a few more.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

A - poured from growler, off-white head with good retention topped fiery copper-red body

S - Carrot muffin, the store-bought kind

T - Really nice caramel malt with a hint of chocolate. A bit of peppery spice on the front of the tongue and some acidity on the sides. Hops are understated but not out of line with the style.

M - Refreshing. Enough body to satisfy but easy enough to drink all day. Lingers on the palate, eventually the bitterness collects here.O

O - A beer lover's alternative to Shiner Bock. Not quite as poundable but plenty refreshing and flavorful. Stands up well to calamari; I'd also happily pair with a lightly battered fish and chips or wings. Well done, Genny!

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

I snagged this while in New York, the retro packaging sucked me in. It looks good from the pour, a nice orange brown with a thick head that lingers momentarily. Much darker than any macro beer I've ever had. The aroma is sweet and grainy with not too much else besides a hint of dry toastiness. The flavor is a bit better, with just a bit of malty sweetness, and hints of caramel. The graininess I associate with most macros is still there but it's muted a bit. I think that if compared to craft beers of the style this one come up short, but if you compare it to other macros it is breath of fresh air.

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%

I went to a BCCA show in New Cumberland PA and saw this beer. Genny is an old regional which has always been quite popular in PA especially once you get above Reading or so. I looked on this site on saw some respectable reviews but couldnt find it in the Lancaster or Kennett area.

Quite pleasantly I went to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD and saw twelve packs for about $6.25. State Line use to be quite a cheap buy for macros and big regionals but they have moved to primarily craft beers. I was buying Coors Light, Mich Ultra, Yuengling Lager and some Dad B-day Scotch when I saw Genny Bock (with its green can) and grabbed it.

The bottle poured a nice one to two finger head, which quickly disappeared as did the bubbles in the glass. The beer was a nice amber color.

The aroma is kind of a mix of grains and malt. So is the smell. Another beer which has a nice color but the taste is above average, not spectacular. If you are planning to drink the twelve pack in one sitting this is a nice beer. Not quite at the craft level but a six bucks for a twelve pack this beer is a the top of the taste/price matrix. It beats out Lionshead as that beer's price has risen. Apparently you can get this beer in Rochester for$7-$8 bucks a case which is phenomenal conisdering I used to buy National Bohemian in the late 80s for $5 a case and that beer was no where near this one. I suppose college kids in Rochester are spoiled.

On a closing note, if High Falls spent a little more on this beer it could be a great beer for $15 per case vs. a good beer for $12 per case (where I bought it). I will definitely buy more of this. In the old days big brewers like Pabst and a lot of regional brewers used to make bock beers on a regular basis, I imagine this is what many of the better ones tasted like. I hope this beer sticks and maybe is the start of a new trend. Maybe will see a Pabst Bock one of these days. This beer reminds me of the PA regionals like Yuengling, Straub Dark and IC's Augustiner (most similar). Also reminds me of Shiner Bock. Its really kinda of a hidden treasure. Nice Job Genny!

P.S. I love the regional brewers like High Falls, Matt, Lion and IC. I hope they are around forever. America is about choice! Anyone can brew a great beer for $30 a case, it takes skill to brew a nice beer for $12 a case.

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this directly from the can, so I'll rate the appearance based on the can's looks. I really enjoy the design. Smelled of malts and a touch of cooked corn. Who cares, it's good old Genesee, it's their signature. However, I found the taste to be pretty bland. Nothing off-putting, just really light and bland. I wish they could up it a touch, oh well. Smooth and Genny-like. Could do a few no problem. A good beer to have a casual burger cookout with.

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Solid green with the goat and the classic Genny logo. It stuck me, mainly because I've had every Genny product save two that are hard to get where I am, so I bought the case for $6.99 and I'll say, yeah, retro packaging is cool.

A: Good yellowish head, with slight lace that went away quickly and left a light brown brew.

S: A little malt, a touch of hops, a little can, average.

M: slight bitter, light malt wash, caramel aftertaste

T: Macro stab at a former macro style. Malt is front but subdued, hops are there but light, caramel sweetness says hello with a slight kick from the alcohol. Tastes a little of the corn used at the very end.

D: Good, and I will buy it again while it's available. This is a change as I've come to appreciate the upped flavor right from the can. I'm not the biggest fan of bock beers and only Celebrator has really showed me what a bock could/should be. Worth a try for the price.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz can into a pint glass. Very cool can design btw. Pours a crystal clear darkish brown with a half finger off-white head. Poor head retention and lacing but I really wasn’t expecting a whole to out of this beer. Aroma has burnt caramel, toffee, and some molasses. Perhaps a touch of corn as well. More caramel on the taste along with molasses and a quick whiff of alcohol. Light corn with a little grassy hop character. Slightly sticky with very little bitterness and a bit of a thin mouthfeel. Overall, while this is far from a great beer or a good example of the style, it is very refreshing and quite tasty considering the price. A beer I like to pick up every spring.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

heard about this beer from my family , finally found it on a beer run this afternoon.
poured from the light green retro can , into a pint glass with a dark amber color. some lacing around the glass , nice malty aroma. this being my venture into bock beers . pleasant mouthfeel . solid drinability .
after tasting this genny product its a shame this is a limited release.

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

The retro packaging certainly gets your attention. The 12 pack box is green with yellow flowers, the big genesee logo with a goat leaping in the air. This poured a clean amber brown with a thick foamy beige head. The lacing is plentiful. The smell is sweet and malty with a strong grain presence. The taste is similar to the smell. The nasty harsh grain flavor that is present in beers such as genny and genny ice isn't present here. Clean and refreshing.
This isn't your normal bock but it isn't bad and it certainly reminds me of the red and cream ale in terms of flavor. The feel is slick.
I could pound half this 12 pack in a short amount of time. It is drinkable and refreshing. Not a masterpiece but for $6.99 you can't go wrong!

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber with a cheapish looking head. Very clear. Smell is a little sweet, watery. No trace of hops. Tastes of caramel and adjuncts- the perfect sweet combo that makes this really a Bock. The creamy sweetness is sort of like drinking a marshmallow. The rich and creamy body to it that screams out "Genesee" to me but definitely a few steps up from the standard Genny Light. Easy and fun to drink.

Was happy to pick this one up- a great alternative to the Key Light monopoly on Beirut and a fun beer to show off to your friends for a more than reasonable price. I've bought 2 12 packs of this so far for myself and will keep buying it as my "cheap beer of choice."

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple of 12 packs of this at Wegmans, on sale for $5.99. Are you kidding me at that price? I think I might need to get a few more 12ers.

Pours a clear copper color with a fizzy, foamy light beige head that easily fills the pint glass and crowns over the top. Given that it's on the fizzy side it settles pretty quickly, settling to a thin lace and not leaving much stick.

Smell has some caramel and toasted malt and that prototypical Genny grainy aroma. It's on the weak side and the Genny aroma does not appeal to me, generally speaking.

Taste has some caramel sweetness but leans more toward the toasted and grain flavors. I don't love that Genny smell but it doesn't bother me as much taste-wise. It's entirely decent - too thin and a bit watery but good flavor nonethless.

Mouthfeel is definitely on the thin side, light bodied with a watery feel to it. But it's crisp and relatively clean.

As I said before this is an entirely decent beer. It's not a standout by any means, but especially given the price it's an outstanding value. For the rock bottom price it's hard to beat it. I'll gladly store a few 12ers of these in the basement to serve as cheap session brews when I'm just looking to knock back a few.

Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.