Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a Thomas Hooker pint glass.

A: Pours a medium copper color with a one-finger head of off-white foam which leaves some frothy, weak lace.

S: Smells of roasted caramel malts with a dash of grains and an earthy, sweet aroma as well.

T: Bit of a metallic grain sting at first, but a sort of nice, mellow dose of sweet caramel malt pushes over it with some lager malt characteristics in there as well. Ever so slightly bitter floral hop finish with a mild drying effect, but odd watery flavor too.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth. A slight acrid adjunct sting and a little watery in the finish, but otherwise pretty nice.

D: Surpassed my expectations as a modest ABV bock with good lager qualities and a slightly sweet and smoky malty profile. Love the artwork on the can, like the contents a little bit less. Serviceable though.

06-06-2010 03:50:14 | More by Gambrinus1184
lovesoutherntier

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The smell of this beer is a faint amount of malt and thats about it. Its a rather dark color, with a thick foamy head in my goblet. the taste is of faint maltyness in the front and all the way through with no backbone to this beer. it is very drinkable, and for the price, 6.49 for a 12 pack, its a good beer to have after uve already had some real good beer and want just one more the tastes arent amazing, but for the price, they know what kind of beer it is. if you can get ur hands of a 12 pack id advise because it will last you a long time and you wont regret it.

05-13-2010 04:43:18 | More by lovesoutherntier
Stigs

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz can left in my fridge by one of my buddies who is always touting it...served in a standard pint glass

A - poured an inch of loose bubbly light tan colored foam...seems to be falling at a pretty quick pace. eventually settles to a thin film and slightly clingy lace ring. the beer is a light brown color, slight ruby tones.

S - light caramel malts, grains and stale biscuit. almost a complete lack of hops.

T - very sweet. dominating caramel and brown sugar with some cinnamon sprinkled in. finishes a bit crackery with just the smallest flash of hop bitterness before sweetness takes over. finishes slightly metallic.

M - a good bit of creaminess for the style...very stinging but not overdone carbonation. finishes sweet and sugary with some dryness.

D - well what can i say - not my cup of tea but this has a lot of character. awesome looking can, too.

04-30-2010 01:34:55 | More by Stigs
tim9887

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked up a 24pk from Bell Beverage for $10. Wow. 12oz can poured into a mug. Pours a darker amber with 1/2" tan foamy head that doesn't stick around. Aroma isn't all that impressive, just some general malt sweetness. In the taste I get some subtle chocolate/molasses character and some metallic flavor which is odd. Very soft carbonation and quite easy to drink. Overall a great value for such a modestly-priced brew.

04-26-2010 02:41:08 | More by tim9887
chcfan

Can into awesome, newly acquired Rare Vos pilsneresque tumbler

I picked up a sixer of Genny Cream Ale about a month back and it was a total drain pour. Actually had a metallic and overall nasty aroma that I couldn't get past. It was less than $5, and I poured that whole thing down the drain. I believe it was really old, but I'm not giving that beer another chance.

I heard that there's a lot of love for Genny Bock, so I picked up a single. The beer I'm reviewing right now came from a case that I picked up for a $15.50. Love that it comes in cans, love the look of the cans, and love the look in the glass. This being a lower level beer, I would not be against sipping it from the can if I'm enjoying it outside or sneaking it onto a golf course. I have found my spring value beer, and I'm pretty happy about it.

04-23-2010 00:25:16 | More by chcfan
beertunes

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this sentimental favorite in a trade with orcasteve, Thanks much! Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear dark amber color with about a half inch of tan head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was malty sweet with a slight tang at the back. The taste was clean and malty, just a touch sweet, with an interesting sharpness in the finish.

The body was light but full. Drinkability is very good. Or maybe that's just my memories of of sunny afternoons in the backstretch grandstands at Oswego Speedway, pouring these beauties down the throat with friends while watching the supermodifieds roar around the track.

This is a beer that's not going to blow any serious BA away, but Genny products are the beers I grew up on, and I'm glad for the chance to revisit it.

04-20-2010 22:52:09 | More by beertunes
Suds

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I remember having this beer in the early '90's (not sure if it was the same recipe, although), I recall the brown colored can. Coming back from retirment, this beer is a welcome sight. Inexpensive and very tasty. Love the retro packaging. It's a clear copper color with a relatively thick white head. The aroma is malty, although a bit more toasted malt than I recall....crust on highly-toasted bread. The taste is malty and flavorful. It's a little drier than I'd like, although this makes it a very drinkable brew. Not terribly complex, but very enjoyable. Nice beer for the expense!

04-10-2010 02:19:32 | More by Suds
tzieser

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

This was a good surprise. At 6.99 a 12 pack, I was expecting another piss yellow faux-bock (search "Super Bock" and you'll know what I mean). Pours a great copper like color with a 1-2 finger head that sticks pretty well. Not a crazy complex nose, but hints of caramel malts are definitely noticeable. Flavor is remarkably smooth and has a substantially larger malt character than expected.

I loved this stuff. I'll definitely seek it out again.

04-10-2010 00:48:08 | More by tzieser
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Look: Poured 12 oz. can into pint glass. Big foam head which disappears quickly to almost nothing. Nice black reddish hazy color.

Smell: Good mixture of chocolate, sweet malts and hops.

Taste: Same mixture of chocolate, sweet malts and faint hops.

Mouthfeel: Nothing really sticks around your mouth for too long, and it is a dry taste that finishes.

Drinkability: Going into reviewing this beer, not knowing anything about this beer and paying only $6.29, I am really pleased with this beer. Anyway the drinkability is surprisingly smooth, but not creamy like I like in my bocks. Still if you're in Northern Wisconsin pick some up cheap!

04-09-2010 23:16:47 | More by NOOGIE
emccaff

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

A dark, clear, deep amber with a touch of ruby red. Looks great but the head faded quickly to a thin "topping" of foam. It's a very light version of a "German Bock"...think American Lager vs. German Helles and you'll get the idea. Sweetish with a touch of caramelized malt. Hops? Not so much. Compared to a great German/Craft bock, well, you might not even think it's a bock beer, it's that light(for a real bock). But-as a session beer this is great stuff! Not heavy but definitely not to be confused with Bud, Miller,PBR ect. Upstate NY it costs less than $7 a 12 pack. All things considered I'd drink this as a year round beer. To bad it only hangs out for a few weeks a year!

Glad Genny kept the original artwork on the can too. Very Retro & cool!

Now...if they would only bring back "12 Horse Ale"

04-09-2010 20:14:48 | More by emccaff
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

I noticed a twelve pack of this Genesee brew and I just could not pass it up for two reasons: 1) The packaging was great, featuring a bright green background with little yellow star shapes and a goat jumping over the Genesee logo, and most importantly 2) any bock that costs 6.99 for an entire twelve pack is at least worth a shot as far as I'm concerned.

Genesee Bock pours a dark reddish-brown color that is orange where the most light manages to pass through it at the very edges. The head is a good two fingers tall, it off-white and it is very nice and rocky. Some fairly good lacing stick to my glass.

The nose isn't very powerful, but the the light caramel malt and sweetness that are there are pretty good. A hint of a metallic aroma hangs around also.

There isn't much to Genesee Bock, but what is here is pretty good. A light caramel flavor and other sweet malts pop up quickly, but fade even faster. The lightest touch of hops comes through in the finish, but it took me four or five sips to notice it at all. Although it is not the most flavorful bock that I've encountered, Genesee Bock does taste like a German bock, and it is very clean on the palate.

The body is very light, and the carbonation a touch above the median. No complaints here.

Genesee bock really impressed me for what it is. It is clean and extremely easy to drink, just like a bock should be. Also, any bock in a kick ass can that costs 6.99 a 12 pack is good in my book. As far as cheap beer goes, this is the BEST value I've seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

03-15-2010 00:14:45 | More by Hojaminbag
schoolboy

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%

Let's see, I'm 53 years old, so I probably first tasted this 50 years ago. No kidding. I'm from a German family and we always got a taste of whatever adult beverages were being drank, and I remember my dad getting this and something called G.B. (Good Bock?).

Over the years I usually grab a 12 of this once a year or so if I spot it. So this weekend I threw it in with my usual ridiculously expensive stuff.

You have to admit, it is the best value beer. Here you have something with color and a bit of taste at less than 1/4 the price of the Bell's Consecrator I bought at the same time. However, price is the only way those two should be compared.

This beer is barely acceptable, but it IS acceptable. It is a fairly innocuous bock - it will not overpower you with good (or bad) taste. There is a bit of funkiness, but that's what bocks are supposed to be.

If you are on a budget, you could do a lot worse than this. Heck we are planning to go back to an all inclusive resort this year in Cancun, and I wish the DosXX dark (cerveza obscura) they serve was as good as this.

03-14-2010 17:12:25 | More by schoolboy
thecarster1

2.83/5  rDev -17.3%

a- can poured into a pilsener glass, two finger fluffy tan head, clear chesnut brown coloring, loads of bubbles streaming up the glass, very cool can, i'm partial to it because thats my favorite color green.

s- interesting nose - this is my first bock so i'm not so sure which notes i should be picking up. caramel malts, slight spicy hop scent, some dryness, some odd sweetness.

t- taste follows the smell, caramel malts, alot of typical lager characteristics just kicked up a notch, interesting sweetness here - like brown sugar mixed with a bit of sweet butter with some burnt caramel and light chocolate notes. some peppery, spicy notes round everything out. for me, it's not blending so well together.

m- light to medium body.

d- the drinkability is ok, since this is my first bock beer i'm not used to the flavor, and i can't say it's my favorite, i don't think i would drink this again.

03-14-2010 00:48:38 | More by thecarster1
tr4nc3d

Kansas

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

12fl oz can poured into my flute

Pours a dark bronze color with a medium tan three inch head. Good head retention that subsides above average and leaves a little foam on the edges of the beer. No lacing was noticed.

Smell is pretty much one sided with a hint of caramel and biscuit like malts.

Taste is just as the smell with just a hint of caramel and slightly biscuit like malts.

Mouthfeel is thin and has average carbonation

Overall this lacked flavor and I would not want to drink this beer again when there are better beers in the same style category.

03-05-2010 22:39:41 | More by tr4nc3d
BeerVikingSailor

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Fun colorful can pour into pint glass...great goat artwork!

This is a fun, very drinkable and very affordable ($6.99 / 12 pk) spring bock, not too heavy like some darker bocks I have had lately.

Some bready malt aromas, little carmel buttery mouthfeel, carbonation pretty solid, nice foamy head in the glass...not much hop presense at all, but for a bock that is not usually the case, mostly a malt brew....

Overall a nice solid spring bock, very tasty; light and crisp, I will be getting several 12 pks to have for warmer weather...a good balanced beer, easy drinking! I like this one a lot.

03-04-2010 13:43:01 | More by BeerVikingSailor
mtnbikerpa

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a can with no freshness date into my big mug about an inch of quickly dissappearing head. Dark amber golden color to the brew. Scents of sweet caramel, and roasted malts. Nice mellow malty flavor and some cooked honey, sugary flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable nature is high.
In the end I was very impressed by this offering. I got two 12 packs for about $13. You can bet I am going to be buying and drinking more of this.

03-04-2010 13:27:25 | More by mtnbikerpa
animalchin

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Saw this at $6.99 a 12 pack at my local grocery store. Had to get it. Pretty impressive pour - a nice dark beige body, rocky long-lasting head and bold lacing. Yeast-like and bread aromas, a some malt. Roasted malts and bread in the taste, is followed by a slightly cream or butter like after-taste. Sensing a lot of malt went into this. A of carbonation that tends to over-shadow the potential richness and creaminess that could complement.

I have to say, I am overall extremely pleasantly surprised. Beers at this price for this amount usually tend to signify half-assed brewing, but this is a solid work. I'd like to try this on tap sometime, but I don't know if I'd buy in the store again.

03-02-2010 21:53:37 | More by animalchin
woodychandler

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

CAN you believe that today (01 Mar) is Iceland Beer Day?!? I am having a CAN or two to help celebrate this most auspicious occasion.

My pour produced a finger of ecru head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles gently rising to the surface. Nose was really malty sweet accompanied by a light tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an unpleasant astringency, like gargling with hydrogen peroxide, in the mouth. Oof. Finish was slightly sweeter, but I just could not get past that initial taste. I have a 12-pack, so I CAN revisit this one, but for now, I am sure I will be one of the low scores.

03-01-2010 21:53:41 | More by woodychandler
joshstevens87

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

A-pours an orange/slight brown/red with a huge white head that quickly dissapates and leaves a little lacing
S-a sweet malty bready smell with a little bit of a toasty character a bit weak though
T-a sweet caramel taste very sweet and bready malt taste with no hint of hops and little alcohol presence a very generic representation of a bock not world class but still very good and very easy to drink all night
M-very full, with a medium body and a light carbonation just like a bock should tase
D-not the most amazing bock but for 8 bucks a 12 pack i think its amazing and is definately a go to due to its solid taste and low abv????

02-22-2010 23:09:37 | More by joshstevens87
Macdoyal

Vermont

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Alright folks lets do dis,

Appearance: A nice dark color that i would say is on the reddish side of things. The beer pours a very impressive head that fades very quickly.

Smell: Smells like a roasted dark beer and doesn't have a volatile booze smell as I've experienced with beers from this price range.

Taste: Nice flavor. Roasted flavor but not too roasted. There is a definite bread note and yeast note with just the right amount of bitters to let the malt take center stage.

Mouthfeel: I read some say it's too carbonated but honestly I like that about this brew. There is a high amount of carbonation when compared to other beers of this style but i enjoy that. It's smooth and clean yet retaining a level of depth and flavor.

Drink ability: Very high due to the fact that it's not overly filling for a darker brew. This is a good beer to drink when you want a more bold flavor yet require refreshment.

02-17-2010 21:26:45 | More by Macdoyal
curasowa

3.35/5  rDev -2%

Pours a rich copper color with two fingers of head that fades with some chunky lacing. Has a yeasty/green smell with some metallic hints and a bit of graininess mixed in. Taste starts out a little dry with some toasted malt flavor and then becomes pretty sweet on the end. Finish is fast and clean, body is medium with lively carbonation.

I have to admit that I'm biased towards this beer. I know it's not the best bock by a long shot, but at $0.50/can, you can't beat the price. Add in the mystic of limited availability and great drinkability and you have one of my go-to cheap beers

02-16-2010 02:17:40 | More by curasowa
PaulW

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Purchased from Warehouse Beverage in S. Euclid, I think it was $6.99 for 12. I also had a $10 bottle of Hoppin Frog so it helped balance the beer budget.

Genesee Bock is all about nostalgia for me. I remember buying cases of the stuff in college. Back then it was considered one of the best full-bodied brews you could buy, thank God those days are gone.

Appearance: A quick pour into my glass produced 3" of foam that quickly dissipated to a small film coating on the reddish-copper brew.

Smell: Not much to smell but it hints of root beer.

Taste: Sweet and malty with no balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Weak, carbonation is gone after about 15 minutes.

Drinkability: I can't have more than one, its just too malty. It really reminds me of root beer, I'll drink one for nostalgia but not 2 or 3.

I realize now that I must take the remaining 11 cans out of the Fridge. It is how it was years ago, all malt. Pretty can design though.

02-13-2010 17:57:53 | More by PaulW
Brad007

Vermont

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a reddish-copper color with a one-finger head into my glass.

The aroma is full of sweet, grainy malt in the nose. Sweet like raisin and plums.

Taste is sweet with raisin, plum and grainy malt. Bready.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grainy malt. A bit harsh, possibly from adjuncts? A bit thin.

Not bad. Drinkable. Not much to be impressed by but it's always a treat to try
it.

07-05-2009 15:00:06 | More by Brad007
DmanGTR

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this directly from the can, so I'll rate the appearance based on the can's looks. I really enjoy the design. Smelled of malts and a touch of cooked corn. Who cares, it's good old Genesee, it's their signature. However, I found the taste to be pretty bland. Nothing off-putting, just really light and bland. I wish they could up it a touch, oh well. Smooth and Genny-like. Could do a few no problem. A good beer to have a casual burger cookout with.

06-16-2009 07:09:07 | More by DmanGTR
ShaneBertou

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta love the goat. My review probably won't be as high as my emotional attachment to this beer. Being from Rochester, I'm partial to Genny. And this is Genny's best offering. That's not to say it's great, but it's the best Genny has to offer.

It pours a good head, a nice golden color and strong carbonation. It has a sweet smell and an almost buttery taste up front. A little bitter on the backside, but drinkable.

Love seeing the goat arriving on store shelves. I believe this beer is in limited run, so I grab it when I can.

05-20-2009 20:20:11 | More by ShaneBertou
Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.