Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008)
2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

12fl oz can poured into my flute

Pours a dark bronze color with a medium tan three inch head. Good head retention that subsides above average and leaves a little foam on the edges of the beer. No lacing was noticed.

Smell is pretty much one sided with a hint of caramel and biscuit like malts.

Taste is just as the smell with just a hint of caramel and slightly biscuit like malts.

Mouthfeel is thin and has average carbonation

Overall this lacked flavor and I would not want to drink this beer again when there are better beers in the same style category.

tr4nc3d, Mar 05, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Fun colorful can pour into pint glass...great goat artwork!

This is a fun, very drinkable and very affordable ($6.99 / 12 pk) spring bock, not too heavy like some darker bocks I have had lately.

Some bready malt aromas, little carmel buttery mouthfeel, carbonation pretty solid, nice foamy head in the glass...not much hop presense at all, but for a bock that is not usually the case, mostly a malt brew....

Overall a nice solid spring bock, very tasty; light and crisp, I will be getting several 12 pks to have for warmer weather...a good balanced beer, easy drinking! I like this one a lot.

BeerVikingSailor, Mar 04, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a can with no freshness date into my big mug about an inch of quickly dissappearing head. Dark amber golden color to the brew. Scents of sweet caramel, and roasted malts. Nice mellow malty flavor and some cooked honey, sugary flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable nature is high.
In the end I was very impressed by this offering. I got two 12 packs for about $13. You can bet I am going to be buying and drinking more of this.

mtnbikerpa, Mar 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Saw this at $6.99 a 12 pack at my local grocery store. Had to get it. Pretty impressive pour - a nice dark beige body, rocky long-lasting head and bold lacing. Yeast-like and bread aromas, a some malt. Roasted malts and bread in the taste, is followed by a slightly cream or butter like after-taste. Sensing a lot of malt went into this. A of carbonation that tends to over-shadow the potential richness and creaminess that could complement.

I have to say, I am overall extremely pleasantly surprised. Beers at this price for this amount usually tend to signify half-assed brewing, but this is a solid work. I'd like to try this on tap sometime, but I don't know if I'd buy in the store again.

animalchin, Mar 02, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

CAN you believe that today (01 Mar) is Iceland Beer Day?!? I am having a CAN or two to help celebrate this most auspicious occasion.

My pour produced a finger of ecru head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles gently rising to the surface. Nose was really malty sweet accompanied by a light tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an unpleasant astringency, like gargling with hydrogen peroxide, in the mouth. Oof. Finish was slightly sweeter, but I just could not get past that initial taste. I have a 12-pack, so I CAN revisit this one, but for now, I am sure I will be one of the low scores.

woodychandler, Mar 01, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

A-pours an orange/slight brown/red with a huge white head that quickly dissapates and leaves a little lacing
S-a sweet malty bready smell with a little bit of a toasty character a bit weak though
T-a sweet caramel taste very sweet and bready malt taste with no hint of hops and little alcohol presence a very generic representation of a bock not world class but still very good and very easy to drink all night
M-very full, with a medium body and a light carbonation just like a bock should tase
D-not the most amazing bock but for 8 bucks a 12 pack i think its amazing and is definately a go to due to its solid taste and low abv????

joshstevens87, Feb 22, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Alright folks lets do dis,

Appearance: A nice dark color that i would say is on the reddish side of things. The beer pours a very impressive head that fades very quickly.

Smell: Smells like a roasted dark beer and doesn't have a volatile booze smell as I've experienced with beers from this price range.

Taste: Nice flavor. Roasted flavor but not too roasted. There is a definite bread note and yeast note with just the right amount of bitters to let the malt take center stage.

Mouthfeel: I read some say it's too carbonated but honestly I like that about this brew. There is a high amount of carbonation when compared to other beers of this style but i enjoy that. It's smooth and clean yet retaining a level of depth and flavor.

Drink ability: Very high due to the fact that it's not overly filling for a darker brew. This is a good beer to drink when you want a more bold flavor yet require refreshment.

Macdoyal, Feb 17, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -2%

Pours a rich copper color with two fingers of head that fades with some chunky lacing. Has a yeasty/green smell with some metallic hints and a bit of graininess mixed in. Taste starts out a little dry with some toasted malt flavor and then becomes pretty sweet on the end. Finish is fast and clean, body is medium with lively carbonation.

I have to admit that I'm biased towards this beer. I know it's not the best bock by a long shot, but at $0.50/can, you can't beat the price. Add in the mystic of limited availability and great drinkability and you have one of my go-to cheap beers

curasowa, Feb 16, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Purchased from Warehouse Beverage in S. Euclid, I think it was $6.99 for 12. I also had a $10 bottle of Hoppin Frog so it helped balance the beer budget.

Genesee Bock is all about nostalgia for me. I remember buying cases of the stuff in college. Back then it was considered one of the best full-bodied brews you could buy, thank God those days are gone.

Appearance: A quick pour into my glass produced 3" of foam that quickly dissipated to a small film coating on the reddish-copper brew.

Smell: Not much to smell but it hints of root beer.

Taste: Sweet and malty with no balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Weak, carbonation is gone after about 15 minutes.

Drinkability: I can't have more than one, its just too malty. It really reminds me of root beer, I'll drink one for nostalgia but not 2 or 3.

I realize now that I must take the remaining 11 cans out of the Fridge. It is how it was years ago, all malt. Pretty can design though.

PaulW, Feb 13, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a reddish-copper color with a one-finger head into my glass.

The aroma is full of sweet, grainy malt in the nose. Sweet like raisin and plums.

Taste is sweet with raisin, plum and grainy malt. Bready.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grainy malt. A bit harsh, possibly from adjuncts? A bit thin.

Not bad. Drinkable. Not much to be impressed by but it's always a treat to try
it.

Brad007, Jul 05, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this directly from the can, so I'll rate the appearance based on the can's looks. I really enjoy the design. Smelled of malts and a touch of cooked corn. Who cares, it's good old Genesee, it's their signature. However, I found the taste to be pretty bland. Nothing off-putting, just really light and bland. I wish they could up it a touch, oh well. Smooth and Genny-like. Could do a few no problem. A good beer to have a casual burger cookout with.

DmanGTR, Jun 16, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta love the goat. My review probably won't be as high as my emotional attachment to this beer. Being from Rochester, I'm partial to Genny. And this is Genny's best offering. That's not to say it's great, but it's the best Genny has to offer.

It pours a good head, a nice golden color and strong carbonation. It has a sweet smell and an almost buttery taste up front. A little bitter on the backside, but drinkable.

Love seeing the goat arriving on store shelves. I believe this beer is in limited run, so I grab it when I can.

ShaneBertou, May 20, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. The beers price comes out to about .45 cents a can roughly. Definately an all time great budget minded brew.

Appearance: The beer has a brown reddish hue. The head is thick about 2.5 inches tall. Nice foamy and with an off biege coloration. Great head retention. Rings of foam line my glass marking its passage.

Smell: Probably the weakest point of the beer is the aroma. The beers aroma almost makes the leap away from grain. The beer has a suggestion of toasted caramel maltyness.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is of toasted grain and a bit of caramel. A bit of bitterness brings the beer back to respectability. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is crisp and clean all the way around. The body of the beer is a bit light for my taste. In all honesty this is a good beer. This would see more appearances in my home if it wasnt a seasonal.

nlmartin, May 16, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

A: How could this not be a 5? Yeah, it's got a nice red body with a good fluffy white head, but that's not what does it. The can is awesome. That's worth a 5 by itself.

S: Ahh, the sweet reminder of genny beer. Malt and a kiss of the hops. Maybe a bit too much of a kiss for a bock.

T: Actually not bad at all. By far the best Genny makes. Strong malt, a touch of bitterness, and a good amount of that Genny quality. I'm not sure where it comes from but I've never really tried to figure it out.

M: Nice and light. Genny makes em so you can drink em.

D: It's actually not bad. A pretty good session beer.

drseamus, May 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +12%

With the economy the way it is, it is getting harder to justify some of the more exotic beers that I tend to enjoy. The name and the funky green can caught my attention. When I saw "Bock" I became more interested, then when I saw the price, I just had to have it.

For a really economical beer, I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor and drinkability of this beer - something you rarely find in economy beers and in a can. It is labeled as a special edition, so I'll be running out again tonight for some more before they run out.

I don't like beers that are too carbonated or too hoppy. This beer did not disappoint.

BeerPhiladelphia, Apr 05, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -0.6%

A: This is a 5 for the can along. My father smiled just seeing it. He began to talk about work trips to Rochester back in the 70s and drinking the piss out of Genny. Beer wise a fairly clear brown. poured with 2 fingers of white head that quickly went away.

S: It really keeps going back and forth between malt sweetness and adjunct sweetness. The slightest touch of hops as well.

T: Really not that bad. Just a little malt. A touch of adjunct sweetness as well. Not terrible.

M: A little bit too light for the style but it helps the drinkability.

D: For the price of $6 a 12 pack they should make this year round. A good beer priced excellently. I have never had anything this good that I paid less for save homebrew. They really need to make this year round.

aerozeppl, Mar 31, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple of 12 packs of this at Wegmans, on sale for $5.99. Are you kidding me at that price? I think I might need to get a few more 12ers.

Pours a clear copper color with a fizzy, foamy light beige head that easily fills the pint glass and crowns over the top. Given that it's on the fizzy side it settles pretty quickly, settling to a thin lace and not leaving much stick.

Smell has some caramel and toasted malt and that prototypical Genny grainy aroma. It's on the weak side and the Genny aroma does not appeal to me, generally speaking.

Taste has some caramel sweetness but leans more toward the toasted and grain flavors. I don't love that Genny smell but it doesn't bother me as much taste-wise. It's entirely decent - too thin and a bit watery but good flavor nonethless.

Mouthfeel is definitely on the thin side, light bodied with a watery feel to it. But it's crisp and relatively clean.

As I said before this is an entirely decent beer. It's not a standout by any means, but especially given the price it's an outstanding value. For the rock bottom price it's hard to beat it. I'll gladly store a few 12ers of these in the basement to serve as cheap session brews when I'm just looking to knock back a few.

number1bum, Mar 18, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Mahogany colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is fruity-citrus.Taste is light fruits with a steely caramel at the end.A pretty decent beer that probably would go well on those hot summer days.I should try it again sometime in July or August!!

matty, Mar 08, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

poured a deep crystal clear copper, small white head that turned to a film then nonexistent, no lacing noticed
smell is lacking but traces of mostly alcohol and grass
taste is light macro but with a bit of actual malt some what sweet but not cloying
mouthfeel is light finishes crisp
drinkablity- nothing spectacular but for $7 after tax and deposit for 12 I'm in

Best cans ever

sliverX, Mar 05, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

heard about this beer from my family , finally found it on a beer run this afternoon.
poured from the light green retro can , into a pint glass with a dark amber color. some lacing around the glass , nice malty aroma. this being my venture into bock beers . pleasant mouthfeel . solid drinability .
after tasting this genny product its a shame this is a limited release.

Dodt, Feb 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

This can be a tricky little bugger. When I poured my first can, I quickly realized that it's very eager to get out of the can and into a glass, and it can foam up on you very suddenly if you're not careful. When poured properly, you're treated to a beautiful amber basin, topped with a good finger and a half of head. The best way I can describe the smell is "beer bread", as the stuff I bake smells just like this. The taste is very much on the malty side, with a hint of caramel in there to perk things up. The mouthfeel isn't overwhelmingly thick, but it's got more body than I would have expected.

For about 50 cents a can, this stuff is an absolute steal. World class beer? Not really. But it's leaps and bounds better than anything I've ever tasted in its price range, which means when I need to think about how much I've got in my wallet while shopping for beer, this is sure to come to mind time and time again.

pitweasel, Feb 25, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -2%

Love the retro packaging. Having lived in Rochester my whole life and growing up around two guys that have put in over 35 years each at the brewery (one of my best friend's father and uncle) I appreciate the nod to our local brewing history.
Pours a crystal clear light amber with a thin off-white head. The head reduces in no time flat, but never leaves completely, working itself back into a thin froth with each sip. Leaves a combination of spotty and lightly stringy lacing.

Smells malty with a graininess and some adjunct (corn). A touch of sweet caramel and a bit of grassy/earthy hops.

Tastes much the same as the nose. The graininess hits first and makes you wonder a little about how the rest of the session will go, but after a few swigs it takes a back seat to the caramel malt sweetness and the beer smooths out nicely. Very drinkable and refreshing for what it is.

Mouthfeel is a bit rough with some soda-like carbonation. Light bodied.

It's no masterpiece, but at $5.99-6.99 per 12 pack, its worth it. I'll probably have an open 12 in my fridge throughout its availability.

Hoagie1973, Feb 20, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance - Clear amber body with a slightly tan white head. Not much in the way of lacing. But very pretty.

Smell - Weak. Hints of malt, light fruit, and hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Stronger than I expected. Malty, but a hint of banana macroness. Feels smooth in the mouth. Honestly, the lager comes out a bit too much. It should have been more malty.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. A nice beer if you want to break the routine of macros, but better bocks are out there.

tlinner, Feb 20, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -2%

Gotta love the retro can. Lime green, yellow flowers, and the traditional goat for the spring bock release.

Pours a nice amber color, crystal clear with moderate carbonation. The head settles to a thin tan foam. The nose reveals a slightly bock nose. Creamy caramel, grassy hops, and I think there is a little corn adjunct in there to keep it "genny-smooth". You may have to be from Rochester to appreciate this beer, but you can't knock genny for having some creativity, randomness, and a sense of humor. This is a great brother/sister to the infamous cream ale.

Cheers, Rochester!

Rudgers73, Feb 18, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

The beer pours a nice dark amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a solid pilsner and crystal malt scent along with a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is decent. It has a crisp lager feel with just enough caramel sweetness to add some complexity. It's not overly complex, but it goes down smooth and finishes dry with a balanced bitterness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good bock. Like I said, it's not the most complex and interesting beer on the market, but it's smooth and easy drinking.

WesWes, Feb 14, 2009
Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.