Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008

Ratings: 273 | Reviews: 134
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

This was a good surprise. At 6.99 a 12 pack, I was expecting another piss yellow faux-bock (search "Super Bock" and you'll know what I mean). Pours a great copper like color with a 1-2 finger head that sticks pretty well. Not a crazy complex nose, but hints of caramel malts are definitely noticeable. Flavor is remarkably smooth and has a substantially larger malt character than expected.

I loved this stuff. I'll definitely seek it out again.

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Third year I purchased a 12 of Genny Bock---first review.

Looks great pouring a deep copper color with quick to fade head. Smells of malt and faint hops---nothing overwhelming. Taste is great! Malt dominates with nice bitter hoppiness. Goes down easy and would be a great beer with food. Tremendous value!! Hats off to Genny!!

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. can labeled: 0153-11:53. Sampled on June 25, 2013.

The pour is a medium to mahogany brown with a substantial head that settles down shortly. Busy carbonation.

The aroma is full of caramel malt sweetness, brown sugar, and molasses. Minimal hop aroma.

The body is medium and slightly acidic.

The taste is sweet and malty upfront with a slight moderate hop bitterness at the end. While not as strong ABV as some I have had I happen to like this one and find it to be very drinkable.

3.76/5  rDev +9.3%

Looks pretty decent. A nice light brown color and not much head but I'm not taking my brews on a date or home to meet the folks so honestly that's not very relevant to me.

Smell is nothing remarkable. Smells sweeter than it tastes. I'm having a hard time describing the smell other than "sweet" as this beer has substantially more flavor than aroma.

The taste is very lovely. Fresh and earthy. Just like Spring! Kind of grassy and hay like with some caramel and a very slight hoppy bitterness. Love it. They did a good job giving us something perfect for the transition into warm weather. Not too heady but not too bland.

Mouthfeel is good. It's definitely a got a fair amount of carbonation but not too watery considering it's a Genesee product.

I try not to judge beers based only on the price but this one gets high marks for being an unbelievable value. I was drawn in by the cute retro packaging and the price, however I was extremely surprised when I first tried this. It's the first year I've seen it available in my area and I've turned on a LOT of my friends to this brew. I've probably bought five or six 12 packs of this since I found it in February. I'm already mourning the end of "Goat Season".

3.75/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a caramel brown, with large head, and pleasant malty maple aroma.
Some lacing, but not outstanding.
Sweet flavor up front - almost nutty with a slight citrus undercurrent.
Not an impressive finish, but a fine and easily-sessioned beer (and a great value). And the can design is retro-hip!

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Got this one from WoodyChandler!

Pours an effervescent orange/caramel with 3+ fingers of tan head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Light brown bread notes, even fainter toffee & some metallic notes. All drop away once a bit warm

T: Follows the nose, some grainy undertones as well, plus leafy hops up front. Slight plummyness as this warms, plus some praline sweetness shines through once warm, along with dryness & faint hints of apple & white grape. Finishes dry, with pear & honey notes, plus leafy hops

MF: Medium bodied with firm carbonation, thins out a bit as it warms

Drinks easy, starting improving once near ale serving temp, a nice American regional take on the style, would happily kill a sixer of this during a game or BBQ. Flavor really picked up once warm

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Saw this at $6.99 a 12 pack at my local grocery store. Had to get it. Pretty impressive pour - a nice dark beige body, rocky long-lasting head and bold lacing. Yeast-like and bread aromas, a some malt. Roasted malts and bread in the taste, is followed by a slightly cream or butter like after-taste. Sensing a lot of malt went into this. A of carbonation that tends to over-shadow the potential richness and creaminess that could complement.

I have to say, I am overall extremely pleasantly surprised. Beers at this price for this amount usually tend to signify half-assed brewing, but this is a solid work. I'd like to try this on tap sometime, but I don't know if I'd buy in the store again.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

The beer pours a nice dark amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a solid pilsner and crystal malt scent along with a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is decent. It has a crisp lager feel with just enough caramel sweetness to add some complexity. It's not overly complex, but it goes down smooth and finishes dry with a balanced bitterness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good bock. Like I said, it's not the most complex and interesting beer on the market, but it's smooth and easy drinking.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look 7/10
Smell 16/20
Taste 34/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 82/100

Summery: This beer is amazing for the price. That said, it is $7.99 a 12 pack. Honestly probably the best value per ounce of any beer I have ever had. Still it is an adjunct and does have a sweet malt after taste that isn't great as it warms. Otherwise, smooth clean and tasty~

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

picked up as a single this week, i wanted to try a little something different, so what the heck right? cracked open and split into two tumblers with alex.

Poured out a deep russet brown, very clear with lots of carbonation, really quite nice and a classic look for a bock. Thin off white head formed on the top, but quickly faded to just a thin film that stayed throughout the session, but offered no side glass contribution.

The aroma was your classic malty bock. Nice sweet caramel and nutty aromas mixed in with a good earthy tone. The flavor followed through very closely with a nice bitter malty flavor and a good amount of sweetness in it as well. Carbonation that is more then decent never let it go flat and kept you entertained throughout the session. Easily a sessionable beer, as I could have thrown down more then one

3.72/5  rDev +8.1%

With the economy the way it is, it is getting harder to justify some of the more exotic beers that I tend to enjoy. The name and the funky green can caught my attention. When I saw "Bock" I became more interested, then when I saw the price, I just had to have it.

For a really economical beer, I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor and drinkability of this beer - something you rarely find in economy beers and in a can. It is labeled as a special edition, so I'll be running out again tonight for some more before they run out.

I don't like beers that are too carbonated or too hoppy. This beer did not disappoint.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%

A spring staple for me. All of my ratings are made with price point in mind. Considering that I can get this for $13.50/case, this is a really drinkable and a pleasing bock for me.

Of course it doesn't hold up against other craft bocks but again, for the price, I really enjoy the couple cases a year I buy of this in the spring.

If you're looking for a good "lawnmower Bock", this is your beer.

Really awesome camping beer!!

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a pretty clear deep caramel body that is clear with a strong carbonation of big bubbles to support a thick tan head that soon fades to a thin ring.

S- The clean aroma has some Noble hop hints in the finish.

T- The soft melanoidin notes have some toffee hints to it with a dry soft hop snap at the finish and a sulfur quality that grows as it opens up.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a crisp fizz that lingers after each sip.

O- This beer has a clean light flavor but there are nice hints of bock beer. The big fizz and sulfur grow a bit to strong as the beer opens.

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Look: Poured 12 oz. can into pint glass. Big foam head which disappears quickly to almost nothing. Nice black reddish hazy color.

Smell: Good mixture of chocolate, sweet malts and hops.

Taste: Same mixture of chocolate, sweet malts and faint hops.

Mouthfeel: Nothing really sticks around your mouth for too long, and it is a dry taste that finishes.

Drinkability: Going into reviewing this beer, not knowing anything about this beer and paying only $6.29, I am really pleased with this beer. Anyway the drinkability is surprisingly smooth, but not creamy like I like in my bocks. Still if you're in Northern Wisconsin pick some up cheap!

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Let's see, I'm 53 years old, so I probably first tasted this 50 years ago. No kidding. I'm from a German family and we always got a taste of whatever adult beverages were being drank, and I remember my dad getting this and something called G.B. (Good Bock?).

Over the years I usually grab a 12 of this once a year or so if I spot it. So this weekend I threw it in with my usual ridiculously expensive stuff.

You have to admit, it is the best value beer. Here you have something with color and a bit of taste at less than 1/4 the price of the Bell's Consecrator I bought at the same time. However, price is the only way those two should be compared.

This beer is barely acceptable, but it IS acceptable. It is a fairly innocuous bock - it will not overpower you with good (or bad) taste. There is a bit of funkiness, but that's what bocks are supposed to be.

If you are on a budget, you could do a lot worse than this. Heck we are planning to go back to an all inclusive resort this year in Cancun, and I wish the DosXX dark (cerveza obscura) they serve was as good as this.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

(A) poured out of the most exceptionally retro lime-green can with a happy, flower-pickin' goat on the front. it produces a good 1.5 finger head in my wide-brimmed VERBODEN VRUCHT goblet. The head has a whipped cream look which is interrupted with large bubbles coming up throughout. this display quickly recedes to a white film on top with clumpy lacing. the color is a rich brown with chestnut highlights. this is a $6/12 pack beer?

(S) smells of caramelized malt and raisins with a substantial bready quality. i like bready beers. seriously, this is a $6/12 pack beer?

(T) faintly sweet caramel with a very mild but present hop bitterness. i'm finding a lot of the complexities are being obscured by a prominent boozy taste. i've had these in my cellar since JANUARY and i've noticed the booziness become increasingly pronounced with age. too bad, but this beer is really intended to be consumed fresh. the aftertaste is very similar to GENESEE CREAM ale - i don't mind that one bit.

(M) quite nice. thinner than a GERMAN bock, but thinner is good in this case. the carbonation is smooth on the tongue, and not at all stinging or soda-like. a well balanced arrangement here.

(D) again (and for the last time) this is a $6/12 pack beer? a great beer for the money (or a good beer in general), and spot on for the rather forgotten style of 20th century AMERICAN bock beers. i plan to stockpile next JANUARY on this once-a-year and unusually affordable treat. a near-perfect session beer.

3.68/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out as a brownish color with a cream colored head. The lacing and retention were minimal. The smell of the beer is malty, some earthy hops and yesterday on the nose also. The taste of the beer is malty, toasted and had a good amount of caramel. The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and gently carbonated. Overall this a decent bock.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

12 ounce can - $2.75 at Taco Mac in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: From the retro-type can it pours a clear, amber-brown body with a finger of beige-hued suds.

Smell: Gently sweetish on the nose, with basic, simple notes of toast, light caramel, and light brown sugar.

Taste: A taste of toast, a soothing sugared sweetness and a tiny, tiny pinch of cocoa. Light indistinct fruitiness. Mild, lightly earthy hops with a low, subdued bitterness to it, so the sweetness remains until the crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: Milder and gentler than most, but gains a boosted drinkability from the lower level of alcohol and the crisper-than-most level of carbonation. And it's cheap. If I'm paying only $2.75 at a restaurant, a six'er of the stuff in stores should be pretty reasonable.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - Clear amber body with a slightly tan white head. Not much in the way of lacing. But very pretty.

Smell - Weak. Hints of malt, light fruit, and hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Stronger than I expected. Malty, but a hint of banana macroness. Feels smooth in the mouth. Honestly, the lager comes out a bit too much. It should have been more malty.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. A nice beer if you want to break the routine of macros, but better bocks are out there.

3.66/5  rDev +6.4%

This really is a beauty off the pour, forming a big, fluffy off-white head that settles to a dense 2 fingers in height atop a clear coppery-light brown beer. I really, really want to give the appearance here a 4.5, but it just fades too quickly and the moderate lacing isn't quite enough to push it past good.
I get grains and caramel in the aroma off of a gentle malt. There's an interesting yeast presence(that I like) in here offering a sort of dusty, flowery sweetness. It's a touch light, taking some effort to get the full effect, but not bad otherwise. It's really a 3.5 but for the lack of hops aroma and resulting balance and the lightness of it.
The flavor follows suit, with a strong malt supporting gentle caramel sweetness, a slight nuttiness, plenty of toasted breads, and that interesting yeast. There's just a touch of hops for light balance. It's not complex or overtly flavorful, but nothing I'd shy away from and an easy sipper.
The mouthfeel here is nice, with a rich, full smoothness coming over a body on the lighter side of medium. Everything about it is smooth, starting with the first sip, all the way through into the finish, with a light carbonation and ample malts presence making it full and creamy in the mouth. Again, there could be a bit more body, but it's good.
This isn't the most balanced bock out there or the most flavorful, but it's not one to pass up either.

3.66/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a can...medium dark ruby
Smell- faint hop and malt a strong genney smell
Taste- a strong gennee taste , above average for any canned beer. Not overpowering not underwhelming but definatly a gennee brew.
Mouthfeel is average but decent,
overall- for the price of 8$ a 12 pack quite great! I pick this as my favorite canned beer, like I said for the price and if you are even thinking of liking a Gennee brew this is good!

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a can with no freshness date into my big mug about an inch of quickly dissappearing head. Dark amber golden color to the brew. Scents of sweet caramel, and roasted malts. Nice mellow malty flavor and some cooked honey, sugary flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable nature is high.
In the end I was very impressed by this offering. I got two 12 packs for about $13. You can bet I am going to be buying and drinking more of this.

3.64/5  rDev +5.8%

It's very easy to drink with a fresh taste. It tastes even better as tonight blizzard rages on. There is no bad aftertaste. It's clean and you can drink it with anything or by itself. I find that all of the genny beers have their own taste which is a good thing. I like a cheap beer that is pleasant to drink at any time.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a reddish-copper color with a one-finger head into my glass.

The aroma is full of sweet, grainy malt in the nose. Sweet like raisin and plums.

Taste is sweet with raisin, plum and grainy malt. Bready.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grainy malt. A bit harsh, possibly from adjuncts? A bit thin.

Not bad. Drinkable. Not much to be impressed by but it's always a treat to try
it.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a Thomas Hooker pint glass.

A: Pours a medium copper color with a one-finger head of off-white foam which leaves some frothy, weak lace.

S: Smells of roasted caramel malts with a dash of grains and an earthy, sweet aroma as well.

T: Bit of a metallic grain sting at first, but a sort of nice, mellow dose of sweet caramel malt pushes over it with some lager malt characteristics in there as well. Ever so slightly bitter floral hop finish with a mild drying effect, but odd watery flavor too.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth. A slight acrid adjunct sting and a little watery in the finish, but otherwise pretty nice.

D: Surpassed my expectations as a modest ABV bock with good lager qualities and a slightly sweet and smoky malty profile. Love the artwork on the can, like the contents a little bit less. Serviceable though.

Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.