Genesee Bock - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee BockGenesee Bock

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008)

GennyCreamAle, Nov 15, 2011

HEADYdb, Jun 02, 2012

Gurrett, Dec 09, 2011

Pintwacky, Aug 05, 2014

Love the can. Everyone does, I know. But, its a great design.

Pours a dark amber with some ruby red hues and a big frothy head. Looking good coming out of the can.

Smell is a bit corny and grainy. Not much to brag about here. Some malt and caramel notes - nothing too exciting.

Tastes much better than the other Genny beers I've had. Has some solid malt notes and some character and flavor that hasn't really been there with their Cream Ale.

Overall its a nice beer. No complaints. Decent enough malt profile, easy drinking and c'mon that is one pretty sweet can that its coming out of!

indiapaleale, Jan 13, 2012

ZachRusk, Aug 02, 2013

lilnicky068, Apr 03, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured this one from the fruity green colored can into a pint glass, and paired it with a monster sized oyster Po-boy.

Appearance: It has a gorgeous copper brown coloring with a finger and a half head that shrunk down to just a light skim on top.

Smell: You have to try real hard to capture the aroma in this beer--to hard. Just a real faint smell of malt and bread.

Taste: Malty, and earthy at first blush, but then a slight fruitiness plows it's way through. Very good. Reminds me of an English brown ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Fit's just right on the palate.

Overall: This beer was a huge surprise when I first tried it a couple month's ago. It was the price and not the dreadful packaging that turned my head and made me pick up a twelve pack--$9:98---please. It's been my go-to beer ever since. Great stuff.

godlessape, May 24, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +14%

dark brownish amber with an impressive pillow of head and cascading champagne like carbonation really pretty beer

clean and grainy not unlike a budweiser or something, but there is something there that smells like grape juice or grape jelly (odd)

again the grape flavor intensifies on the tongue, fairly simple flavor I taste a very sweet malt that again I equate to grapes, not a ton for hops...odd

snappy carbonation smooth medium body not alcohol or alpha acid burn

very drinkable, because it's incredibly smooth just shocked by all of the grapy flavor.

Donnie2112, Jul 17, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet can. I love the old school can as well as the $6.45 price tag for a 12 pack. This brew poured wonderful reddish amber, with an off white head. The head is frothy and leaves good lacing on the glass. The aroma is of light malts and straw, adjusted with corn or rice. Also there is just a hint of caramel. The taste is sweet and malty, bready and pretzel like. Hops are almost a nonfactor. The palate is medium bodied creamy and smooth. Finish is short and sweet. Overall not outstanding but a good beer at a great price.

generallee, Apr 14, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12oz CAN into a 20oz imperial pint. Special thanks to woodychandler for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a chestnut-orange, tarnished copper color with 1/2 a finger of light tan foam on top. Retention was fleeting with the head quickly melting down to a thick and sloppy ring that didn't leave much lace.

S: Hars to geet much of a nose here. What I did notice was caramel, mild citrus, tootsie roll, and stale box of Sunmaid raisins.

T: Right off the bat, there was flavors of caramel and raisins. This was followed by flavors of dried wildflowers, dusty lemon-y hops, and bread crust.

M: Smooth and slightly oily with a pleasant hoppy prickle. Finishes on the dry side with a bit of citrus tang and roasted malt.

D: I found this to be quite enjoyable. I understand the pricing on this is very agreeable as well. Good show!

GbVDave, Jun 27, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

got this for $4.99 a 12-pack. what a deal ! the first beer i ever tasted was genny cream ale and at approx. 3 years old, the grown folks tell me i didn't like it much. hope i feel better about this one.

A- awesome retro can design, started foaming as soon as i popped the tab. puffy beige head is uncharacteristic of low priced beers such as genesee and the retention is really good considering what we may be dealing with here. little spots of spit bubble lace and some large patches as well over this clear reddish copper amber golden highlighted brew.

S- toasted and caramel malt with just a little bit of generic grainy aromas, a little bit of fruity tartness and sourdough pretzels. no funk.

T- metallic (but clean) water and laid back caramel and toasty malt flavors. just an iota of spicy herbal hops intermingled with a toasty pretzel finish. very clean and very nice!

MF- on the light side with slightly over medium carbonation but it has an apple juice type weight to it. palate is left feeling clean with a little cereal graininess and about as unoffensive as a granola bar.

D- rating this among world class bock in terms of flavor, content, etc. would be unfair, but in the world of large scale production brewing (pre- budweiser american ale era) i think that genny outdid themselves. this is a very plain and simple beer without any fancies or nuances, but it also lacks bullshit, and it is difficult to find anything wrong with it, keeping in mind that it came from the king of cheap beer. having crisp refreshing supreme drinkability any time of year doesn't hurt either.

hustlesworth, Nov 23, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Maybe I am being generous here, but this beer is way better than it should be. Poured from a 12oz. can into standard pint glass.

A - dark amber with reddish orange hue; nice fluffy finger and a half of fine beaded head; decent retention; some lacing on the glass

S - brown bread, malt and some gentle hop aromas; sweet malt and candied fruit peeks out; hints of toffee/caramel

T - basically repeats the nose; a little simple; toffee and caramel; light hop presence - but sort of nondescript

M - good CO2; medium weight; not as big as some German Bock's, but this is not detrimental to the beer

D - very drinkable; unassuming and undemanding; makes me wish it were April

nezelrac, Feb 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Got "The Goat" in a trade with Phillyduke.

12oz can, served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear, copper color with a short beige head that went away after a few minutes.

S - sweet, grainy aroma.

T - sweet and somewhat malty flavor with a slight bitterness on the finish before leaving a sweet after taste on the lips.

F - light/medium bodied with a clean carbonation feel.

D - a good, easy to drink brew.

Final Note: I have a soft spot in my heart for Genesee, as for as long as I've been able to consume alcoholic beverages legally (30 years) Genny has always been there for me. I'm a big fan of the Cream Ale and now I'm also a fan of "The Goat".

JoeyBeerBelly, May 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

Two 12oz cans in a large Wiezen glass. And many more after that.

A: Pours a clear, deep chestnut body with two full inches of creamy tan froth. Ok retention, moderate lace. Pretty darn attractive.

S: Entirely clean and quite pleasant, with nuttiness and some dark fruit notes being most prominent. Definitely on the malty side, which I like in a Bock. Really nice.

T: Starts out deliciously malty. Some caramel sweetness shows up midway though, and just a hint of bitterness lends balance on the finish. Everything's really nice.

M: Soft, well-carbonated and a bit on the light side of medium-bodied. Pleasant.

O: I've enjoyed it for many years, it's a genuinely good Bock, and for the price it's simply outstanding. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a high flavor-to-cost ratio.

MaximusSuper, Aug 11, 2012

Review adapted from notes taken 4/3/2010

Appearance: Copper/amber color with a head that fades fast - some actual lacing though

Smell: Grainy, sweet, biscuity - nothing too exciting in the nose

Taste: Sweet, toasty malts - very biscuity - some subtle yet interesting hops - some grainy weirdness that kind of reminds me of sweet corn - all in all, surprisingly tasty

Mouthfeel: Crisp, very light, fizzy, some graininess but mostly smooth

Overall: Absurdly drinkable - given the ABV, the price, and the overall impression of this beer, I would be more than happy to keep it in my fridge year-round

With all due respect to Genesee, this beer almost seems better than it has any right to be. It is ridiculously cheap, yet it is legitimately good. The price to quality ratio for this beer makes me genuinely giddy. When it finally reaches Rhode Island this year, I am going to buy cases. I desire more of this sweet biscuit corn soda!

angrybabboon, Mar 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +12%

With the economy the way it is, it is getting harder to justify some of the more exotic beers that I tend to enjoy. The name and the funky green can caught my attention. When I saw "Bock" I became more interested, then when I saw the price, I just had to have it.

For a really economical beer, I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor and drinkability of this beer - something you rarely find in economy beers and in a can. It is labeled as a special edition, so I'll be running out again tonight for some more before they run out.

I don't like beers that are too carbonated or too hoppy. This beer did not disappoint.

BeerPhiladelphia, Apr 05, 2009

Served in a pint glass

A : pours a beautiful brownish amber with a thin brown tinted head

S : yeasty with a fruit element

T : wheat undertones well offset by hops, spice, fruit, and hints of smokey caramel

M : fast start and clean finish

D : with its ABV near 5 and clean finish, more of a drinker than most other bocks

this is a historical favorite of mine, drank this before I knew what quality craft beers were

Extrajoker00, Mar 14, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +12%

Third year I purchased a 12 of Genny Bock---first review.

Looks great pouring a deep copper color with quick to fade head. Smells of malt and faint hops---nothing overwhelming. Taste is great! Malt dominates with nice bitter hoppiness. Goes down easy and would be a great beer with food. Tremendous value!! Hats off to Genny!!

DJED69, Mar 05, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Got this one from WoodyChandler!

Pours an effervescent orange/caramel with 3+ fingers of tan head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Light brown bread notes, even fainter toffee & some metallic notes. All drop away once a bit warm

T: Follows the nose, some grainy undertones as well, plus leafy hops up front. Slight plummyness as this warms, plus some praline sweetness shines through once warm, along with dryness & faint hints of apple & white grape. Finishes dry, with pear & honey notes, plus leafy hops

MF: Medium bodied with firm carbonation, thins out a bit as it warms

Drinks easy, starting improving once near ale serving temp, a nice American regional take on the style, would happily kill a sixer of this during a game or BBQ. Flavor really picked up once warm

russpowell, Sep 01, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Looks pretty decent. A nice light brown color and not much head but I'm not taking my brews on a date or home to meet the folks so honestly that's not very relevant to me.

Smell is nothing remarkable. Smells sweeter than it tastes. I'm having a hard time describing the smell other than "sweet" as this beer has substantially more flavor than aroma.

The taste is very lovely. Fresh and earthy. Just like Spring! Kind of grassy and hay like with some caramel and a very slight hoppy bitterness. Love it. They did a good job giving us something perfect for the transition into warm weather. Not too heady but not too bland.

Mouthfeel is good. It's definitely a got a fair amount of carbonation but not too watery considering it's a Genesee product.

I try not to judge beers based only on the price but this one gets high marks for being an unbelievable value. I was drawn in by the cute retro packaging and the price, however I was extremely surprised when I first tried this. It's the first year I've seen it available in my area and I've turned on a LOT of my friends to this brew. I've probably bought five or six 12 packs of this since I found it in February. I'm already mourning the end of "Goat Season".

LiverDonor, Apr 13, 2011
3.79/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can into Great Lakes pint glass.

Nice brownish amber color that lets some light through. Left some lacing on the glass.

Nice malty smell, slightly sweet.

Mostly malts with just a bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

Smooth and not too carbonated.

Awesome beer for the price. Good flavor and drinkability. Definitely worth a try.

MirkoCroCough, Mar 27, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Saw this at $6.99 a 12 pack at my local grocery store. Had to get it. Pretty impressive pour - a nice dark beige body, rocky long-lasting head and bold lacing. Yeast-like and bread aromas, a some malt. Roasted malts and bread in the taste, is followed by a slightly cream or butter like after-taste. Sensing a lot of malt went into this. A of carbonation that tends to over-shadow the potential richness and creaminess that could complement.

I have to say, I am overall extremely pleasantly surprised. Beers at this price for this amount usually tend to signify half-assed brewing, but this is a solid work. I'd like to try this on tap sometime, but I don't know if I'd buy in the store again.

animalchin, Mar 02, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

This was a good surprise. At 6.99 a 12 pack, I was expecting another piss yellow faux-bock (search "Super Bock" and you'll know what I mean). Pours a great copper like color with a 1-2 finger head that sticks pretty well. Not a crazy complex nose, but hints of caramel malts are definitely noticeable. Flavor is remarkably smooth and has a substantially larger malt character than expected.

I loved this stuff. I'll definitely seek it out again.

tzieser, Apr 10, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to Hopstoopid120 for throwing this one my way to review.

T: Starts out deliciously malty, with fig and walnut leading the way. Some caramel sweetness shows up midway though, and just a hint of bitterness lends balance on the finish. Everything's really nice up until the aftertaste, which is marred by a metallic note. Still good despite that flaw, though.

O: I wasn't expecting too much, but this really impressed me. It's a genuinely good Bock, and for the price it's simply outstanding. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a high flavor-to-cost ratio.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Aug 02, 2012
Genesee Bock from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.