Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Genesee Bock Beer | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Genesee Bock BeerGenesee Bock Beer

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-07-2008

Reviews: 137 | Ratings: 293
3.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta love the goat. My review probably won't be as high as my emotional attachment to this beer. Being from Rochester, I'm partial to Genny. And this is Genny's best offering. That's not to say it's great, but it's the best Genny has to offer.

It pours a good head, a nice golden color and strong carbonation. It has a sweet smell and an almost buttery taste up front. A little bitter on the backside, but drinkable.

Love seeing the goat arriving on store shelves. I believe this beer is in limited run, so I grab it when I can.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. The beers price comes out to about .45 cents a can roughly. Definately an all time great budget minded brew.

Appearance: The beer has a brown reddish hue. The head is thick about 2.5 inches tall. Nice foamy and with an off biege coloration. Great head retention. Rings of foam line my glass marking its passage.

Smell: Probably the weakest point of the beer is the aroma. The beers aroma almost makes the leap away from grain. The beer has a suggestion of toasted caramel maltyness.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is of toasted grain and a bit of caramel. A bit of bitterness brings the beer back to respectability. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer is crisp and clean all the way around. The body of the beer is a bit light for my taste. In all honesty this is a good beer. This would see more appearances in my home if it wasnt a seasonal.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

A: How could this not be a 5? Yeah, it's got a nice red body with a good fluffy white head, but that's not what does it. The can is awesome. That's worth a 5 by itself.

S: Ahh, the sweet reminder of genny beer. Malt and a kiss of the hops. Maybe a bit too much of a kiss for a bock.

T: Actually not bad at all. By far the best Genny makes. Strong malt, a touch of bitterness, and a good amount of that Genny quality. I'm not sure where it comes from but I've never really tried to figure it out.

M: Nice and light. Genny makes em so you can drink em.

D: It's actually not bad. A pretty good session beer.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

With the economy the way it is, it is getting harder to justify some of the more exotic beers that I tend to enjoy. The name and the funky green can caught my attention. When I saw "Bock" I became more interested, then when I saw the price, I just had to have it.

For a really economical beer, I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor and drinkability of this beer - something you rarely find in economy beers and in a can. It is labeled as a special edition, so I'll be running out again tonight for some more before they run out.

I don't like beers that are too carbonated or too hoppy. This beer did not disappoint.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%

A: This is a 5 for the can along. My father smiled just seeing it. He began to talk about work trips to Rochester back in the 70s and drinking the piss out of Genny. Beer wise a fairly clear brown. poured with 2 fingers of white head that quickly went away.

S: It really keeps going back and forth between malt sweetness and adjunct sweetness. The slightest touch of hops as well.

T: Really not that bad. Just a little malt. A touch of adjunct sweetness as well. Not terrible.

M: A little bit too light for the style but it helps the drinkability.

D: For the price of $6 a 12 pack they should make this year round. A good beer priced excellently. I have never had anything this good that I paid less for save homebrew. They really need to make this year round.

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple of 12 packs of this at Wegmans, on sale for $5.99. Are you kidding me at that price? I think I might need to get a few more 12ers.

Pours a clear copper color with a fizzy, foamy light beige head that easily fills the pint glass and crowns over the top. Given that it's on the fizzy side it settles pretty quickly, settling to a thin lace and not leaving much stick.

Smell has some caramel and toasted malt and that prototypical Genny grainy aroma. It's on the weak side and the Genny aroma does not appeal to me, generally speaking.

Taste has some caramel sweetness but leans more toward the toasted and grain flavors. I don't love that Genny smell but it doesn't bother me as much taste-wise. It's entirely decent - too thin and a bit watery but good flavor nonethless.

Mouthfeel is definitely on the thin side, light bodied with a watery feel to it. But it's crisp and relatively clean.

As I said before this is an entirely decent beer. It's not a standout by any means, but especially given the price it's an outstanding value. For the rock bottom price it's hard to beat it. I'll gladly store a few 12ers of these in the basement to serve as cheap session brews when I'm just looking to knock back a few.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

Mahogany colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is fruity-citrus.Taste is light fruits with a steely caramel at the end.A pretty decent beer that probably would go well on those hot summer days.I should try it again sometime in July or August!!

3.21/5  rDev -7%

poured a deep crystal clear copper, small white head that turned to a film then nonexistent, no lacing noticed
smell is lacking but traces of mostly alcohol and grass
taste is light macro but with a bit of actual malt some what sweet but not cloying
mouthfeel is light finishes crisp
drinkablity- nothing spectacular but for $7 after tax and deposit for 12 I'm in

Best cans ever

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

heard about this beer from my family , finally found it on a beer run this afternoon.
poured from the light green retro can , into a pint glass with a dark amber color. some lacing around the glass , nice malty aroma. this being my venture into bock beers . pleasant mouthfeel . solid drinability .
after tasting this genny product its a shame this is a limited release.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%

This can be a tricky little bugger. When I poured my first can, I quickly realized that it's very eager to get out of the can and into a glass, and it can foam up on you very suddenly if you're not careful. When poured properly, you're treated to a beautiful amber basin, topped with a good finger and a half of head. The best way I can describe the smell is "beer bread", as the stuff I bake smells just like this. The taste is very much on the malty side, with a hint of caramel in there to perk things up. The mouthfeel isn't overwhelmingly thick, but it's got more body than I would have expected.

For about 50 cents a can, this stuff is an absolute steal. World class beer? Not really. But it's leaps and bounds better than anything I've ever tasted in its price range, which means when I need to think about how much I've got in my wallet while shopping for beer, this is sure to come to mind time and time again.

3.31/5  rDev -4.1%

Love the retro packaging. Having lived in Rochester my whole life and growing up around two guys that have put in over 35 years each at the brewery (one of my best friend's father and uncle) I appreciate the nod to our local brewing history.
Pours a crystal clear light amber with a thin off-white head. The head reduces in no time flat, but never leaves completely, working itself back into a thin froth with each sip. Leaves a combination of spotty and lightly stringy lacing.

Smells malty with a graininess and some adjunct (corn). A touch of sweet caramel and a bit of grassy/earthy hops.

Tastes much the same as the nose. The graininess hits first and makes you wonder a little about how the rest of the session will go, but after a few swigs it takes a back seat to the caramel malt sweetness and the beer smooths out nicely. Very drinkable and refreshing for what it is.

Mouthfeel is a bit rough with some soda-like carbonation. Light bodied.

It's no masterpiece, but at $5.99-6.99 per 12 pack, its worth it. I'll probably have an open 12 in my fridge throughout its availability.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Clear amber body with a slightly tan white head. Not much in the way of lacing. But very pretty.

Smell - Weak. Hints of malt, light fruit, and hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Stronger than I expected. Malty, but a hint of banana macroness. Feels smooth in the mouth. Honestly, the lager comes out a bit too much. It should have been more malty.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. A nice beer if you want to break the routine of macros, but better bocks are out there.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

Gotta love the retro can. Lime green, yellow flowers, and the traditional goat for the spring bock release.

Pours a nice amber color, crystal clear with moderate carbonation. The head settles to a thin tan foam. The nose reveals a slightly bock nose. Creamy caramel, grassy hops, and I think there is a little corn adjunct in there to keep it "genny-smooth". You may have to be from Rochester to appreciate this beer, but you can't knock genny for having some creativity, randomness, and a sense of humor. This is a great brother/sister to the infamous cream ale.

Cheers, Rochester!

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

The beer pours a nice dark amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a solid pilsner and crystal malt scent along with a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is decent. It has a crisp lager feel with just enough caramel sweetness to add some complexity. It's not overly complex, but it goes down smooth and finishes dry with a balanced bitterness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty good bock. Like I said, it's not the most complex and interesting beer on the market, but it's smooth and easy drinking.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

Genesee Bock Beer is a crystal clear reddish amber beer with a soft, pillowy, off-white head that leaves fluffy lacing on the glass. I would like to note that it's about the coolest looking beer can I've ever seen. It looks like it came straight from the 1970's. The aroma is fresh sweet grainy malt with a touch of pretzels. It has a medium-light body that's smooth and slick. It's quenching. It is very simple and smooth-- slightly sweet, but mostly bread-like. The flavor is pretzel-like, as the aroma is. The hops are on the distant horizon. It's very mellow. What an awesome session ale! It's like six bucks for a twelver over at Wegmans. I'm gonna go buy one right now!
(rated Mar 11, 2008)

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours copper with a fluffy tan head that descends to a thin cover, leaving some lacing.

The smell is of some caramel with a touch spicy hops.

The taste is of sweet caramel with a touch of earthy hop spicing. Something "macro-ish" in the taste that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's there.

It is light-to-light-side of medium. Mild carbonation.

Easy-drinking enough in a "no frills" sort of way. Cheap - only about seven bucks for a 12-pack. Not bad, but nothing special.

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

got this for $4.99 a 12-pack. what a deal ! the first beer i ever tasted was genny cream ale and at approx. 3 years old, the grown folks tell me i didn't like it much. hope i feel better about this one.

A- awesome retro can design, started foaming as soon as i popped the tab. puffy beige head is uncharacteristic of low priced beers such as genesee and the retention is really good considering what we may be dealing with here. little spots of spit bubble lace and some large patches as well over this clear reddish copper amber golden highlighted brew.

S- toasted and caramel malt with just a little bit of generic grainy aromas, a little bit of fruity tartness and sourdough pretzels. no funk.

T- metallic (but clean) water and laid back caramel and toasty malt flavors. just an iota of spicy herbal hops intermingled with a toasty pretzel finish. very clean and very nice!

MF- on the light side with slightly over medium carbonation but it has an apple juice type weight to it. palate is left feeling clean with a little cereal graininess and about as unoffensive as a granola bar.

D- rating this among world class bock in terms of flavor, content, etc. would be unfair, but in the world of large scale production brewing (pre- budweiser american ale era) i think that genny outdid themselves. this is a very plain and simple beer without any fancies or nuances, but it also lacks bullshit, and it is difficult to find anything wrong with it, keeping in mind that it came from the king of cheap beer. having crisp refreshing supreme drinkability any time of year doesn't hurt either.

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Got this as an extra in a trade from session1979.

Appearance: Pretty dark for a bock - dark amber (like maple syrup). Gentle carbonation within and a thin, fizzy, head on top. Not much lace to speak of. P: 3.5; N: 3.5

Smell: Funk, sugar (caramel?) and spice. Not sure if this is good funk or bad funk... it's just funk. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Taste: A little molasses on top of a malt backbone. Very slight alcoholic sting. P: 2.0; N: 3.0

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body and slick - seems to dive down the throat. Good warming and chewy with medium carbonation. P: 2.5; N: 2.5

Drinkability: This is a weak bock (Nick speaking here). Thin and chewy and nearly flavorless. I'm not much of a bock fan anyway, but this one was sub-par for the style. P: 4.0; N: 2.5

Peter: C- (2.65)
Nick: C (2.9)

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Retro green 12 oz. can that's decorated with small yellow daisies and a small goat dancing with a daisy in its mouth. On the bottom of the can is some kind of brewery code. It sure isn't any best before date.

When poured into a Stoudt's pint glass, this Bock beer is a clear dark copper amber with a decent 1/2 inch head of fizzy white foam. This head of foam quickly fizzled away into a handful of bubbly rings along the edge and single spot of lace. I was surprised to see that the color of this beer was so good.

The aroma was grainy, but not a bad Macro grainy aroma. Yeah the grainy aroma consisted of corn and rice, but it wasn't all that bad. Behind the grains was a subtle touch of apple juice and a small dash of cinnamon.

The only way I can describe the beer is that it is grainy with malt, corn, and rice, but it was a good grainy taste. The grains weren't overly sweet. They were just right for this beer After the grains is where it got interesting. Did my taste buds find chocolate or coffee? Nope! They instead found a few spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Very interesting and unique Bock taste.

This is a light bodied beer with a lightly sweet grainy aftertaste of malted grains and a dash of cinnamon. I honestly thought this Bock was going to be watery, but it wasn't at all. There wasn't any taste of water anywhere in this beer.

Not a bad beer at all! This beer surprised me a little. I knew it was probably going to be grainy, but what got me was that it was a good grainy taste. I wouldn't mind having another one of these real soon.

3.9/5  rDev +13%

dark brownish amber with an impressive pillow of head and cascading champagne like carbonation really pretty beer

clean and grainy not unlike a budweiser or something, but there is something there that smells like grape juice or grape jelly (odd)

again the grape flavor intensifies on the tongue, fairly simple flavor I taste a very sweet malt that again I equate to grapes, not a ton for hops...odd

snappy carbonation smooth medium body not alcohol or alpha acid burn

very drinkable, because it's incredibly smooth just shocked by all of the grapy flavor.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks goes out to JoeyBeerBelly for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus fizzy off-white head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is malty and lots of caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with lots of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew.

3.07/5  rDev -11%

Appearance - a fine looking orange/amber color, looks like an OFest. Almost two fingers of creamy light tan head. Not long-lived but puts up a nice chunky ring of lace around the high water mark and a few pillar-like columns down the glass.

Aroma - very standard grain, MGD-like.

Taste - perhaps the 'cream ale' of bocks? The graininess is almost that of a standard lager level, but with a Milleresque flavor. Some nice caramel malt flavor present once the palate adjusts a bit, a little toastiness to boot. I have to say, for a beer with elements of macro, this also has a nice flair of good flavor running through it as well.

Mouthfeel - light and crisp, not what I'd want from a bock, but there is a note of smoothness.

Drinkability - not a true bock in terms of strength, but it has some bock character in the taste. Not the worst spring beer, I'd have a few more.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Saw a case of this classic "old man" beer at my distributor and grabbed it to share with a fellow BA'er who was looking to try it as well. Phenomenal retro packaging. Though many of us have a bit of nostalgia for the old post-prohibition brands (having been weened on sips of our fathers' and grandfathers' beers), this one held the promise of actually offering a decent bit of flavor for the few dollars ($14/case) I had to shell out for it.

A: Served into a pilsner glass. Clear amber-lager color with a huge, pillowy head of frothy tan foam that quickly dissipates to an opaque layer across the surface. No lacing to speak of. Definitely the nicest head I've seen on a macro of any kind.

S: Typical macro dishwater scent, some nice malt in there, but I'd never mistake it for a craft brew.

T: Nice initial rush of malt to the palate, with a hint of sweetness. Not too much in the way of hop bitterness, though there is a little. Aftertaste is slightly metallic. Overall a bit on the watery side.

M: Lightly carbonated after a vigorous pour and substantial head leaves a nice, pleasant somewhat creamy mouthfeel (for a macro). Metallic aftertaste does detract from the feel a bit.

D: Overall this is a highly drinkable beer, and I might reach for it year-round if it were available. When I'm looking for something that I don't need to think about too much but I still want taste, this would be a perfect choice. Probably a step above Yeungling Lager on the macro-lager taste scale. Not too complex, but still enough backbone for those of us who like to actually taste our beer. The cans alone make this a worthy brew to try at least once. I commend High Falls for bringing it back, and hope it sells for them.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Got "The Goat" in a trade with Phillyduke.

12oz can, served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear, copper color with a short beige head that went away after a few minutes.

S - sweet, grainy aroma.

T - sweet and somewhat malty flavor with a slight bitterness on the finish before leaving a sweet after taste on the lips.

F - light/medium bodied with a clean carbonation feel.

D - a good, easy to drink brew.

Final Note: I have a soft spot in my heart for Genesee, as for as long as I've been able to consume alcoholic beverages legally (30 years) Genny has always been there for me. I'm a big fan of the Cream Ale and now I'm also a fan of "The Goat".

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%

I went to a BCCA show in New Cumberland PA and saw this beer. Genny is an old regional which has always been quite popular in PA especially once you get above Reading or so. I looked on this site on saw some respectable reviews but couldnt find it in the Lancaster or Kennett area.

Quite pleasantly I went to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD and saw twelve packs for about $6.25. State Line use to be quite a cheap buy for macros and big regionals but they have moved to primarily craft beers. I was buying Coors Light, Mich Ultra, Yuengling Lager and some Dad B-day Scotch when I saw Genny Bock (with its green can) and grabbed it.

The bottle poured a nice one to two finger head, which quickly disappeared as did the bubbles in the glass. The beer was a nice amber color.

The aroma is kind of a mix of grains and malt. So is the smell. Another beer which has a nice color but the taste is above average, not spectacular. If you are planning to drink the twelve pack in one sitting this is a nice beer. Not quite at the craft level but a six bucks for a twelve pack this beer is a the top of the taste/price matrix. It beats out Lionshead as that beer's price has risen. Apparently you can get this beer in Rochester for$7-$8 bucks a case which is phenomenal conisdering I used to buy National Bohemian in the late 80s for $5 a case and that beer was no where near this one. I suppose college kids in Rochester are spoiled.

On a closing note, if High Falls spent a little more on this beer it could be a great beer for $15 per case vs. a good beer for $12 per case (where I bought it). I will definitely buy more of this. In the old days big brewers like Pabst and a lot of regional brewers used to make bock beers on a regular basis, I imagine this is what many of the better ones tasted like. I hope this beer sticks and maybe is the start of a new trend. Maybe will see a Pabst Bock one of these days. This beer reminds me of the PA regionals like Yuengling, Straub Dark and IC's Augustiner (most similar). Also reminds me of Shiner Bock. Its really kinda of a hidden treasure. Nice Job Genny!

P.S. I love the regional brewers like High Falls, Matt, Lion and IC. I hope they are around forever. America is about choice! Anyone can brew a great beer for $30 a case, it takes skill to brew a nice beer for $12 a case.

Genesee Bock Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.