Dundee Oktoberfest - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee OktoberfestDundee Oktoberfest

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-28-2008)

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

1.35/5  rDev -59.9%

Still have a few of these left over from fall. Decided to pull one out tonight and review it. This will be my fifth time drinking this beer.

Appearance - A surpisingly vibrant and frothy head presents itself. A vaguely transparent orange and amber color. No lacing capabilities whatsoever. A very 'Oktoberfest' looking beer.

Smell - Slight pumpkin and bitters. They are watered down and vague, however. No real signs of spices or "full-bodied" taste in the nose, as the bottle suggests. Actually quite a pleasant fall leaves smell to it.

Taste - I really tried to like this; after I remembered absolutely hating the first 4 I drank in the fall. I thought maybe my tastes had changed and I would enjoy this more. I was wrong. This tastes like I ate some leaves and then threw up. The taste and mouthfeel are just absolutely terrible. It's about as bad as I remember it from a few months ago. It isn't skunked or soured from age. A slight hint of deep malts that then turns into a leafy pumpkin pulp taste.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - I can barely get this down without gagging. The mouthfeel is just unbearably unpleasant. I think that after drinking five of these, I'm finally going to give up on this brew and chuck the last one into the trashcan. Perhaps I will try a different Dundee brew in the future. But this is just ridiculously gross.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.83/5  rDev -45.7%

This is probably the worst Oktoberfest I've ever had. It's a damn shame too. I look very forward to the fall season because I find the beers to be among some of the best at that time of the year. This was just a major upset here. There was an ok looking color to it but very thin on taste and mouthfeel. Where did all the seasonings go?

1.95/5  rDev -42.1%

I sampled this beer along with two other similar choices (Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat and Sierra Nevada Tumbler) and it seemed thin and devoid of taste or flavor. I really expected to like it more but was left disappointed. The color and appearance was good, the taste was not.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours dark amber with practically no head, not much lacing. Aroma is fruit and caramel malt. Flavors are caramel malt and some fruit. Medium, crisp body. So, so Octoberfest, if not for high carbonation it would be cloying.
This brew is not on par with better examples of the style.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance- nice ruby/brown color, impressive head that stays on the beer long after the pour
Smell- slightly malty, a bit of toffee
Taste- light malt, smooth with a metallic, almost sour kick at the end...is it the yeast or the whatever low amount of hops used for the style?
Mouthfeel- the metallic/sour aftertaste kills it for me, otherwise it would be very drinkable, though not impressive
Drinkability- pretty much the same as above

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz brown bottle.

It pours a deep reddish/orange amber. The head is fluffy and white.

The smell is sweet, with some caramel, there is also some mineral water.

This beer is sweet, but bitter, not bitter in a good way. Very basic. Not very good. The mouthfeel is exceptionally watery for the style.

A crappy O-fest.

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of off white head. It is a deep ruddy amber. It is darker than other beers I've had in this stle. It smells malty sweet. It is sweet tasting as well. It also has a bit of a burnt finish. It's ok, but there are a lot of others that I prefer in this style.

Cheers!

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Dundee Oktoberfest from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.