Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Koch's Golden Anniversary BeerKoch's Golden Anniversary Beer

awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-17-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 41
Reviews by CJS5:
3.13/5  rDev +38.5%

Presentation: 12 oz can with no freshness date to be found. $5.69 a 12-pack at Kappy’s in East Boston, MA.

Appearance: Good lacing even though the head is lacking a bit, crystal clear golden straw color.

Smell: Spicy husk, minute hops and more grain in the back of the aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Mildly astringent but not offensive, the bite comes from mostly grain husk yet there is some hop bitterness. Very light on the malt with signature corn flavors … an American mass-produced beer trait.

Notes: A well rounded cheap lager, right up there with Schlitz and PBR. I paired and cooked with it, roasted curried chicken with red potatoes and carrots.

2.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Well, what can I say two bucks for a sixer. It has to be shittier than all of the other marketed beers right? Well, that's what I thought I much rather drink this adjunct ridden American light lager than Bud, Miller, or Coors. If I wasn't broke right now I wouldn't ever want to drink this swill but, for a party this is an easy drinking true golden in color lager. The highly carbonated white head is leaving some lace, but overall the appearance is not that impressive except for the fact they got a golden color going on rather than yellow fizzy we have golden fizzy. The aroma is a very faint sweetness with really no hop aroma, but at least it smells sweet and rather pleasant. The taste is this beer's selling point no hard core off flavors, but this is a cheaply made beer that uses cereal grains to produce their beer. It works I could drink this stuff again if my only desire is to buy a couple sixers to recieve a buzz and for that it serves a purpose. The mouthfeel is thin bodied and highly carbonated.

2.56/5  rDev +13.3%

A: pale yellow with a few strands of straw. Lots of bubbles with a light slobbering of lacing

S: grains, corns, light hops of floral and grass whiffs

T: a few husks of corn and a handful of barley malt. Keeps a clean profile with no real skunk or powerful adjunct sourness. Otherwise it has the usual macro/adjunct flavors in a tasteful manner. No hops on the palate...

M: light, clean, with some favorable flavors. Has a good mouthfeel, not all that bad

D: good drinking adjunct

2.4/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer actually won a gold medal at the GABF! Of course, it was early on in the GABF's career when not as many beers were entered. The light-straw gold appearance is crystal clear and gives a fairly good looking head which actually keeps some lace throughout. But the appearance is all this beer offers. The aroma offers no hop. I'm not surprised by that. The company advertises it as "moderately hopped", but also goes on to note that it uses a blend of Pacific Northwest and imported hops. Hmmm? What aroma is there is earthy, minerally, and has some vegetal in the background. They also advertise that it is brewed with select 6-row barley and "grains" - my guess is corn. Based on the malt character I'd guess that's alot of corn. A very average brew.

1.98/5  rDev -12.4%

Saw this in the singles section at my local beer joint and thought "why not"? Poured into the glass with an actually decent white head that soon collapsed over clear pale yellow liquid. The nose is of adjuncts (corn, rice or both, I'm not sure) and weak watery malt with a very brief hop aroma that's soon overcome by said adjuncts. The taste was as expected, weak, watery, and nothing spectacular at all...just fizzy blandness. Finishes up blah and uninspiring to say the least. Pass on it.

2.29/5  rDev +1.3%

This is not a refined quality beer but sometimes you need a "chug a lug" lager to quench a thirst. What do you expect for $2.75 a 6 pack? I do not like the unnatural foam head that has a chemical quality to it. I still think this is a surprising value.

1.33/5  rDev -41.2%

One of the worst beers in the world. No wonder its so cheap. No body. Lousy, bitter taste and just an awful example of beer. Period. Good for watering the lawn or something but not drinking. Why they still make this is unknown to the me and the rest of the world.

2.84/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of corn. Taste is missing for the most part. Crisp but flavorless. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall the only redeeming quality here is the cheap price tag.

2.75/5  rDev +21.7%

I had never seen this one before but what the heck right I might as well give it a shot. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 10/28/2009.

The pour was about what I would have expected. Golden hay colored with a big white head of foam on top that really fizzled out quite quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbling up from the surface throughout the session as well. Aroma of light corn, light grain, and light all around, in fact I found myself searching for anything at all really after just but a few minutes. Flavor was about the same, muted hops if any at all loaded on top of a lot of corn and grain flavor. Quick hitting with no aftertaste and a light and non existent body. Drinkable but falls into the you can do better category. Overall I have had much better and much worse.

1.97/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into pint glass.

A: pale straw color, fizzy white head.

S: smells like corn and rice. And a bit of alcohol.

T: a little citrus flavor and typical macro flavors. It's a mix between being tasteless and having better taste than your other crappy light beers.

M: fizzy watery, light body.

O: not the worst macro, but not too great either.

2.81/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a crystal clear light straw hue with a three finger foamy white head. There was good retention and good sticky lacing.

The smell featured a light and mildly sweet husky adjunct grain with a slight grassy hop.

The taste was light but mildly flavorful. Some boiled corn flavor, but otherwise a decent grain profile. Light hops freshen the taste up.

The mouthfeel was clean and very light. A mild creaminess as well.

Overall a very drinkable lower tier macro. Pretty good for what it is.

2.16/5  rDev -4.4%

To quote a previous reviewer, "this beer is a turd."

Clear, dehydrated, first piss of the morning yellow with a decent head (for a macro lager).

Smells and tastes like Red Bull. With hints of Papa Gino's spaghetti and meatballs thrown in. Really.

At $3.29 a six pack I was curious. That this beer won a medal at The Great American Beer Festival is proof that every beer has won some award at some point. This was a suitable beer for a canoe trip down the Saco. That's about it.

2.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out just like any other beer in the style with an adjunct and light malt sweetness and the breadiness of grain and barley. The hops presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and kind of smooth, light body, heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily since there isn't much to it, not too filling, in a style where I find it difficult to distinguish one beer from the next I suppose this beer is as good or bad as any other in it. Overall, it's not a beer I would pick unless I were looking for something inexpensive and didn't have very many options.

3.74/5  rDev +65.5%

Brought to you in a brown 40 oz bottle with a label that states
" A Great American Beer"
Now this is what I have to say about that...
This brew is very nice, I expected very little and was very pleasantly surprized.
The appearance is exceptional. The colour was a deep yellow with a crown of two fingers leading to a large frothy lace, ring and mountainous glass cling.
The aroma is a little grainy.
The body is a medium.
The carbonation is unbelievably light.
The taste is that of a very well balanced brew starting ever so lightly to the malts and finishing equally to the hops.
This is an exellent buy for the buck, a very well priced lawn mower beer.
Makes me long for my college days.

3.92/5  rDev +73.5%

Now, I am not a major fan of macro lagers... I drink them, but am not thrilled by them. However, this one surprised me. Now, that being said, I will grade this against the style... so it will have scores higher than if I graded it against my own personal tastes.

This one was an average yellow brew, but it had a four finger, white head in my pint glass. AMAZING for a macro lager, if short-lived.

Aroma was primarily of malt. Also a surprise. Grains were there, but hid in the background. And was that a hint of hops? Noticeable hops in a macro, and not skunky? Wow!

Taste was a little fruity and a little malty. Grains were present, and the light hops were still there. Much better than a standard macro.

Mouthfeel was average... not too thin, but not bold either.

Drinkability... hell, a 1 pint can for 80 cents? Cheap, and better than many macros. Yeah, I'll give it good marks.

1.83/5  rDev -19%

Golden Anny was the beer of choice my sophmore year in college, largely because you could get a case for under $10. I cannot give an accurate count of how many of these bad boys I managed to drink that year, but it was a number that was much higher than my GPA.

I always saw this for what it was, really cheap swill that you could drink all night without leaving you with a hung over so bad you couldn't do it again the next night and the next. This is fraternity hazing beer, pure and simple.

I feel bad for someone that still has to drink this, it would mean that they're still in college in Western MA and they are entering year 19 of college.

2.15/5  rDev -4.9%

What looks like Schweppes, smells like a livestock feed store, and tastes like liquified corn flakes? Koch's Golden Anniversary.

Don't approach this brew expecting new heights of flavor, or anything even remotely resembling character. It's just a step or two above Coors Light in this regard. You won't find much to keep you coming back.

That said, at about $5 a 12-pack (thank you, Shaws), it's far cheaper swill than the Silver Bullet. If you must have a cheap, unassuming "lawnmower" beer, this is much more cost-effective than the macros.

1.06/5  rDev -53.1%

I am writing my first review of a beer on this site, and I've chosen Koch's GA for sentimental reasons. On my first day at university, 3 of my floormates and I walked to Collegetown looking to buy beer for a small party we were hosting that night to get to know our classmates. We got to the store, where my new friend quickly saw the Koch's, which was in a fancy gold-tone carton with gold foil-topped bottles. It was unbelievably cheap (although now I don't remember exactly what it cost), and we bought 8 cases, which was all we could carry back. I was reluctant to get it although I was not suggesting we buy something expensive (I was a Bass drinker then), but I was hoping for some Labatt's or Molson. My friend said, "How bad can this be?" The answer: VERY BAD. This is without a doubt the worst beer I have ever had (including Iron City and Utica Club). In fact, during fraternity initiation, we were required to buy 3 cases of the worst beer we knew of, and drink it all under decidedly uncomfortable circumstances. Of course, we bought the Koch's GA. Anyway, none of our guests seemed to mind, though it was tough finishing off the last bottles and I ended up with a killer hangover. My new (and still great) friend still has one bottle from the original cases for posterity. I still see it (in cans) on shelves here on occasion and smile.

As noted: looks like a standard American lager. Sour, grassy smell with a thin, metallic and acidulous taste. Astringent finish. I can't see how Michelob Ultra could be worse. Makes Coors taste like Krug in comparison.

1.86/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well this certainly was a find at the packy. My buddy and I were digging around in the crap beer section and found a case of this lying on the bottom. We started laughing hysterically and said, "Oh yeah we have to buy this crap."

So anyway, the Golden Anniversary beer. I must say to, the case says something about this beer winning some award in 1987. Come on, live in the now!!
Right, the beer...clear yellow, no head. Smells like rotten veggies. Tastes just like any other American macro lager, mild maltiness, very watery. We bought it because it was cheap and humorous. That's probably the best, and only, reason there is.

3.35/5  rDev +48.2%

A step above the typical mass made macro lager. Poured out to a clear golden color with a short lived head of foam. Some notes of lace. Medium high level of carbonation. Aromas are light and grassy, hinting at malt and adjunct additives. Taste is suprisingly nice; very refreshing clean malts, some sweet grain, a touch of corn. Nothing great, but not offensive or undesireable. Mouthfeel was watery, and the carbonation didn't carry over well to the palate. Better than normal drinkability when it comes to macro lagers. Worth a try. I like the retro can. Simple, classic, devoid of flashy graphics or photos. Special thanks to conneticut poet for securing the specimen.

3.13/5  rDev +38.5%

I just picked up up a sixer of these gems. Nice brew, looks like a nice pils just poured one in a pilsner glass.The aroma is light, the taste is filled with grain and corn. Not a bad thing., Overall not a bad cheap brew.
This is a nice brew on a hot summer day,

2.83/5  rDev +25.2%

Sampled this beer as part of a tasting panel.

The beer begins with a fair enough pour, light in straw color, and with average head formation and retention with very little lacing. Pretty standard of American Lagers.

Faint aromas of pilsner malts, cereal grains, and light sulfers of corn and matches. Hop character is light but does bring about a light floral note, maybe from Noble hops. Not bad, just light.

Flavors are a pretty direct reflection of the aroma. Again, very lightly flavored and display a balance of malt-grains. With such slight maltiness, the yeasty sulfers come through a bit more strongly than I prefer. The corn and match stick sulfurs interfere with the otherwise clean taste a little to much.

Perhaps the mouthfeel sacrifices the most. the beer is very thin and crosses the line into watery textures. The malt character quickly falls away and leaves the grain textures (along with a light husk astringency) to carry the weight of the beer late and into the finish. Hop bitterness tries to mask the astringency but only has little success.

Ultimately not a bad beer. It's certainly preferable over other lightly flavored beers (ex. Michelob Ultra and Budweiser Select). It has a light fruitiness that flows into and out of the floral hop which I find quite nice. I can see me throwing back a few of these while tending the lawn or relaxing on a hot summer's day.

2.72/5  rDev +20.4%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with almost no head at all. The aroma is clean and crisp and devoid of any real flavor. It boasts of pale malts and adjuncts along with lager yeast. The taste is average at best. It has a watery pale malt and adjunct flavor that goes down slow and finishes dry and a bit skunky. The mouthfeel is awful. It is a low bodied beer loaded with carbonation. This is an average adjunct lager at best. It has no complexity at all. It's water with a little malt added; one and done for me.

2.13/5  rDev -5.8%

This seems to be one of the most heavily trashed beers around, but I never saw it in my area (Central NJ/Ocean-Monmouth counties). As I made a stop in Union recently I saw this in a liquor store and just had to pick it up to see if it lived up to the hype (if you could call it that). One of the cheapest beers I've seen $2.99 plus tax for the sixer. I was expecting the worst when I cracked one open, and while it definitely lived up to being a cheap tasting beer, I can say that I've definitely had worse than this.

KGA pours a light gold color with a rather large foam white head that actually has somewhat decent retention for some reason (lasted well over a minute). Smells like an average cheap beer. Grainy adjunct smell, slightly metallic in the nose with perhaps a hint of alcohol. Thin and fizzy mouthfeel was to be expected. Average cheap beer flavor: semi-sweet, with some cooked vegetables and a metallic twinge. Slight bitterness in the finish, but altogether pretty watery. Aftertaste is mostly clean except for some cooked grain/corny flavors. Finishes off with no alcohlic warmth.

As I've said cheap all around, but I strangely found it kind of easy to drink. I've had quite a few beers worse than this, but I wouldn't go putting this up with PBR, Schlitz and Stroh's as far as decent cheap macros go. It probably would be best to leave this for the fraternities to gobble up.

1.06/5  rDev -53.1%

I found this beer when I was 16 and had only one dollar for which to get beer. At 88 cents a 40 oz. I think this was the cheapest beer I ever bought. When you look at it, you see a typical yellow tint. The smell is something you would expect from a fish market. Funny thing is we began calling this the "Dead Fish beer" as my friend decided to compliment the flavor with a live fish. He then proceeded to drink the beer with a dead fish floating on top. The dead fish in the beer seems to match the dead fish flavor. My father would probably drink this beer. Lesson learned: Fish cant survive in beer.

to view more.
Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.