Mountain Brew Beer Ice - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Mountain Brew Beer IceMountain Brew Beer Ice

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mstyne on 05-17-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Aficionado_Shawn, Aug 06, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -36.4%

DownWithSocks, Jul 27, 2014

Shawnspl, May 24, 2014
2.09/5  rDev -24%

Mountain Brew makes it cool to be a bad beer. Oh yeah! With it's hilarious branding of stick figures doing sports; you wonder if you can actually play volleyball or swim after one can of this potent goodness. If you're looking to score big on the buzz after a few cans which will probably cost you a measly $2.50, you can't go wrong. Don't let the moment escape you to have a cold mountain brew in your hand around all of your friends. They'll think you're really cool.

tippiecanoes, May 14, 2014

dibattista, Mar 05, 2014

TonyY, Oct 14, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

LMH88, Aug 19, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Mountain Brew- A very cool brew! A popular favorite among very broke college students. The only thing cheaper is Walgreen's Big Flats beer. Both are contract brewed by Genesee in Rochester, NY

Reluctant to pour this in anything and taste it, but here goes.
Poured from a 12 oz can into pint glass. One finger fizzy head that recedes as I type. Lots of carbonation.

A- Very Pale, not meant to be admired visually I would guess.

S- Metal and Alcohol. Not intrigued.

T- Very sweet, as it is an ice beer with 5.9% ABV. Metallic aftertaste. Not complex at all, one beer flavored note, no hint of hops or anything that actually went into making this.

M- sticky and fizzy. Is kind of burning my stomach from all of the fizz.

O- Might buy for friends I don't like very much. Not really familiar with ice beers, but this is not so good. If I'm on the cheap to the point I'd drink this I'd either buy a soda or save a few more bucks and get some tall PBR cans. Lesson learned, but will try the new light version once I can post a page for it.

DagenhamDavis, Jul 31, 2013

twillingthenoz, Jul 14, 2013

braedon_peluso, Jun 08, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

BubbleBobble, Jun 04, 2013
2.04/5  rDev -25.8%

Cans purchased at Stewarts Shops in Delmar, NY. Genesee makes this classic only for Stewarts!

Pours out super light, looks almost like water. Like a mountain stream or something! Pretty fizzy.

Smells like nothing. Some corn like extract aromas are weak, thankfully.

Also tastes basically like nothing. It isn't particularly offensive, until it warms up. There is a very slight marginal bitter bite at the end of each sip.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation.

This brings back a lot of funny memories, doesn't mean it's any good though.

GreesyFizeek, Mar 07, 2013
3.28/5  rDev +19.3%

This is quite a thing of beauty, in the eyes of a select few, at least. Taken at "face-value," this is simply a cheap beer with mediocre taste, with a great value no one can deny. However, this beer seems to have a heavenly aura surrounding it that even the most expensive of microbrews lack.

This beer, at 3 dollars and some change for a six pack, with a respectable 5.5 ABV, represents a cheap getaway. Relaxation, stress-relief, and for some, meditation, can be had so cheaply and conveniently-a quick trip to Stewarts, maybe picking up a 1 dollar energy drink or sandwich if you're loaded, and you are on the road to inebriation. In style I might add.

One thing about this beer that some might not realize is that it truly its best when consumed in the great outdoors, even if that means car-camping. It is when graced with the tender touch of nature that this beer really shines. To truly experience the splendor of a Mountain Brew Beer Ice, it is suggested that you buy a six-pack, and sit around a fire for a few hours with friends. Or by yourself. This beer has an odd tendency to bring feelings of elation to the drinker when consumed outside.

In summary, this is a great beer. It's legitimacy and special place it holds in the hearts of those few with absolutely discernible taste cannot be quantified by the rating of its "taste," or it's "smell." Sure, this beer has those characteristics, but that is not what the Mountain Brew Beer Ice experience is about. Those who know, know.

chugalug40oz, Jan 31, 2013

Huffs, Dec 16, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

mitch3114, Sep 29, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Tawny bronzed golden ( a sort of dark urine color), clear with a few sort of odd looking floaties, fair size bright white head that falls pretty quick, but keeps a fair skim.

S: Adjunct sweetness and tons of floral & fruity lager esters. Perhaps some of the flowery aspect is from hops, but it is hard to tell. It is a rich scent with fair potency, but not really appealing.

T: Adjunct & adjunct sweetness, grainy malts, estery sweetness, background herbal & floral hops. A bit richer in the malts and the adjunct impact than usual (non-ice) macro lagers. Not the worst macro ice or even macro in general, but still not really good.

M: Just a touch over medium and the though the carbonation does seem fairly well matched it does sit a bit heavy. Slick, almost oily somehow, and with some sticky sugars. Some hop drying in the finish.

D: Sort of a concentrated and slightly amped-up version of an American adjunct lager. Clearly leaning heavy on marketing rather than product.

SickGnar, Aug 24, 2012

smi, May 29, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -32.7%

Sometimes, for no particular reason, something just catches your eye. The “WOW!” display in Stewarts convenience store caught my eye. One night during our ADK vacation, we were in Stewarts, getting the kids ice cream, when I saw a display for what liked generic cola in a plain silver can with script writing. But, the can and the display sign had the word "beer" on it. What in the hell? That couldn't be, because it was 75 cents a can or $2.99 for a six pack – less than Diet Coke. It had to be birch beer or root beer or something. This curiosity called for closer inspection.

Holy crap, it is beer – it’s a new beer by Genesee called Mountain Brew Beer Ice. Yeah, say that a few times: Mountain Brew Beer Ice, Mountain Beer Brew Ice. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue now does it? The name is as nonsensical as the packaging is butt ugly. Three bucks??? The kids’ ice cream cones cost more! And, the icing on this marketing campaign (no pun intended) is that there was a big sign above the cooler in back which read, "Cheaper than Budweiser and more alcohol. Try it!" I kid you not. I almost laughed out loud right there. I guess the slogan, "Hey, kids, it's cheap and it'll get you drunk," was shot down as being too obvious.

What the heck; I bought a can of MBBI. It came to 86 cents with tax and the NY recycling deposit on the aluminum can included.

I thought of pouring it into a glass, to do the review justice. However, I couldn’t find suitable stemware for a beer of this class at the vacation house. So, I decided just to sit down by the pool in an Adirondack chair and swill it from the can – undoubtedly as Genesee intended MBBI to be drunk. I popped the top with a satisfying “pfish”. I let it breath for about 5 seconds … mainly to allow any pent up toxins to escape. I took a breath and took a hearty swig.

The first reaction was that it was fizzy. Very fizzy; it burned a little bit going down. It tasted like you’d expect a cheap yellow fizzy beer to taste like – somewhere between rank Mountain Dew and Coors Light. Since, I was pulling this straight from the can, I cannot say much for its “nose”. From what I could detect, it smelled faintly like the floor of my fraternity house after a college kegger.

To be fair, I looked at what other reviewers had to say. One Beer Advocate had this to say, "smells like dirty socks and tastes like rotten bologna." That’s one opinion. My summation is thus: It was 93 degrees and muggy. I was thirsty. It was cold. It wasn’t disgusting. I drank the whole thing. I’d sooner drink this 50 cent beer (by the 6-pack) than a similarly blandly processed Budweiser.

Lastly, after a few more sips, I started belching uncontrollably after every other swallow. Yes, give Genesee credit. As their advertising reveals, they clearly know there market. Mountain Brew Beer Ice is aimed squarely at the Homer Simpsons of the world.

DWolf, Feb 02, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +25.5%

the Dauber here:::

last week we just come back from Stewarts shops with a some 6er of there the Mountain Ice beer that stewart make now. I done gone to the stewart on south main street in gloversville. them peoples real nice in there and that cougar in there good lookin to. i done got 6 mountain beers each for me and Kenny. and gone back Meco way to drink them with my buddy kenny. we had the flannel shirts goin cuz its mighty cold. we drank the beers Caroga style.

I aint never seen this beer bfpre so we was lookin for word to tie in one on. it says that 5.5. beers are in one can but I dont think that right, when we drank the beer it was real good. i done poor one in the cup to see what color it is and it was beer colored and had the foam so it look good to me. me and kenny drank them pretty fast cuz they was so good. kenny done heard from some guy in Ephratah that Genny make the mounhtain ice and i believe that guy cuz this beer taste so good. we done had our 6ers then took the F-350 back to stewart and get more mountian beers

alls im sayin is if you like the genny beers you gonna love the mountain ice beer at stewart shop

i like stewart shop a lot even though stewart kid Brad Dake is a W.I.P.

enjoy them mountain ices!

MudDauber, Jan 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Lawl3ss, Jan 02, 2012
2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I'm going to try to start a bad-beer review series, with some fun and interesting reviews. This will only occur when I have time as I need the time to spell out the terribleness of how bad the beer is. This one came thanks to rudzud, at was very cheap, but at least it's from a can.

Pours a huge fizzy head that rises to about 2 fingers then fades pretty quickly, but many bubbles rising up from the bottom reinforce it, they look like soap lather. The beer is crystal clear like it was carbon filtered by Pur or something, and a super light yellow stained water colored beer, that barely has any color.

Nose sure smells like a macro adjunct lager, but maybe a bit better than the real macro beers. A metallic like unhappy lager yeast aromas. However there is some nice malty toasty malt like aroma, light pilsner malt and hint of straw, light crisp lager aromas, and hints of fruit. So overall not too bad. The deeper I nose a little bit of sweet syrupy extract adjunct like aroma starts to come out.

Taste is hopefully not too bad either, well, actually is fairly bad. It has quite a fake adjunct lager flavor, little metallic twing, and a light skunky taste. I seriously think fake lagers like this are automatically skunked from the yeast itself and don't need clear bottles. The next wave brings sweet fake adjunct extract syrup and fake malts. A warm fruity flavor comes out, but not a nice lager fruit, more like very old apple juice that was filtered through carbon and ass, and a weird rotten pear. At least its very drinkable, as in as refreshing as water, since, despite all those weird flavors I mentioned, it's pretty much like water, the flavors are so light that I almost think I'm drinking Boston water without the chlorine. Although it's not all bad, there are some light pilsner malts and hints of straw, but barely. It also h as a dry finish and light crispness... and what's this, do I detect a hint of hops? Like they waved a sack of hops over teh beer and some flakes fell in.

Mouth is there but is it really? If I compared this to water, Ithink the water would have more weight, but that's my well water, so probably city water is lighter. Also hints of carb that seem to have floated into space the minute I poured it.

Overall, well not quite as bad as I was expecting, but still pretty bad. The off flavors are rampant, adjunct macro lager is defintely there, and it's pretty much like bad water with barely anything to it overall. For now the rest is a drain pour I think, but on a hot summer day I could see pounding this down over some of the larger macro swill or chlorinated city water.

jlindros, Dec 23, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured a very tinted yellow color, with a HUGE head. Very clear, could see through it.

Did not detect much of a smell, a little grains on the smell.

The taste was average for this beer, which suprised me, as I expected to be very disappointed in it. I wasn't, it's a drinkable summer adjunct lager. An OK choice for a "session beer". Some grains, a little sweetness and even the tinyest touch of hops.

Very carbonated to the mouth, but a clean finish with little aftertaste.

Overall, its a summer , hot and thirsty beer. But honestly, go with the Genessee Cream Ale, it's much better.

necrat, Jun 29, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz can courtesy of sliverx, thanks...I think. Pours crystal clear with a fluffy cap of white head. Decent retention and lacing for the style.

Nose is sweet cooked grains and maybe some CO2. Light and uncomplicated.

The sweetness of the beer really stands out to me...and not in a good way. Sugary grains and alcohol is about all my palate can detect. Tastes more akin to a malt liquor than your typical adjunct lager. Missing any sort of even a hint of hops. This one is bad news all around, I guess this is revenge for the Big Flats, Tim?...Dont worry - I'll finish my can.

twiggamortis420, May 12, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +36.4%

Went to lake george NY for this beer. I saw a sign at a liqour store for 3.99 for a six pack so i had to buy it. Wasnt expecting much, but i was pleasently surprised. This beer was really good. Good taste, not watery, didnt get a headache. No bad aftertaste, not filling. Drank the six pack in a few hours and felt fine. For a cheap beer its def. worth it.

brunrn1, Feb 22, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +40%

Where do i begin? Bought a sixer for 3 bucks! Better than busch and keystone and cheaper!

A- Don't really know drank her straight out of the can.

S- Not a great smell slightly bitter smell.

T- Suprisingly good taste not watery had some body to it,

M- Good body not watery a little bitter at first but finish was good.

D- Goes down suprisingly smooth almost better than regular Blue.

battman89, Feb 07, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Mountain Brew Beer Ice from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.