Mountain Brew Beer Ice - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Mountain Brew Beer IceMountain Brew Beer Ice

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mstyne on 05-17-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

1.85/5  rDev -32.7%

Sometimes, for no particular reason, something just catches your eye. The “WOW!” display in Stewarts convenience store caught my eye. One night during our ADK vacation, we were in Stewarts, getting the kids ice cream, when I saw a display for what liked generic cola in a plain silver can with script writing. But, the can and the display sign had the word "beer" on it. What in the hell? That couldn't be, because it was 75 cents a can or $2.99 for a six pack – less than Diet Coke. It had to be birch beer or root beer or something. This curiosity called for closer inspection.

Holy crap, it is beer – it’s a new beer by Genesee called Mountain Brew Beer Ice. Yeah, say that a few times: Mountain Brew Beer Ice, Mountain Beer Brew Ice. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue now does it? The name is as nonsensical as the packaging is butt ugly. Three bucks??? The kids’ ice cream cones cost more! And, the icing on this marketing campaign (no pun intended) is that there was a big sign above the cooler in back which read, "Cheaper than Budweiser and more alcohol. Try it!" I kid you not. I almost laughed out loud right there. I guess the slogan, "Hey, kids, it's cheap and it'll get you drunk," was shot down as being too obvious.

What the heck; I bought a can of MBBI. It came to 86 cents with tax and the NY recycling deposit on the aluminum can included.

I thought of pouring it into a glass, to do the review justice. However, I couldn’t find suitable stemware for a beer of this class at the vacation house. So, I decided just to sit down by the pool in an Adirondack chair and swill it from the can – undoubtedly as Genesee intended MBBI to be drunk. I popped the top with a satisfying “pfish”. I let it breath for about 5 seconds … mainly to allow any pent up toxins to escape. I took a breath and took a hearty swig.

The first reaction was that it was fizzy. Very fizzy; it burned a little bit going down. It tasted like you’d expect a cheap yellow fizzy beer to taste like – somewhere between rank Mountain Dew and Coors Light. Since, I was pulling this straight from the can, I cannot say much for its “nose”. From what I could detect, it smelled faintly like the floor of my fraternity house after a college kegger.

To be fair, I looked at what other reviewers had to say. One Beer Advocate had this to say, "smells like dirty socks and tastes like rotten bologna." That’s one opinion. My summation is thus: It was 93 degrees and muggy. I was thirsty. It was cold. It wasn’t disgusting. I drank the whole thing. I’d sooner drink this 50 cent beer (by the 6-pack) than a similarly blandly processed Budweiser.

Lastly, after a few more sips, I started belching uncontrollably after every other swallow. Yes, give Genesee credit. As their advertising reveals, they clearly know there market. Mountain Brew Beer Ice is aimed squarely at the Homer Simpsons of the world.

3.85/5  rDev +40%

Where do i begin? Bought a sixer for 3 bucks! Better than busch and keystone and cheaper!

A- Don't really know drank her straight out of the can.

S- Not a great smell slightly bitter smell.

T- Suprisingly good taste not watery had some body to it,

M- Good body not watery a little bitter at first but finish was good.

D- Goes down suprisingly smooth almost better than regular Blue.

3.28/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is predominatly of corn, some malts. Taste is crisp, mild malts, a hint of corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is not bad, a good beer on a hot day.

2.3/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Tawny bronzed golden ( a sort of dark urine color), clear with a few sort of odd looking floaties, fair size bright white head that falls pretty quick, but keeps a fair skim.

S: Adjunct sweetness and tons of floral & fruity lager esters. Perhaps some of the flowery aspect is from hops, but it is hard to tell. It is a rich scent with fair potency, but not really appealing.

T: Adjunct & adjunct sweetness, grainy malts, estery sweetness, background herbal & floral hops. A bit richer in the malts and the adjunct impact than usual (non-ice) macro lagers. Not the worst macro ice or even macro in general, but still not really good.

M: Just a touch over medium and the though the carbonation does seem fairly well matched it does sit a bit heavy. Slick, almost oily somehow, and with some sticky sugars. Some hop drying in the finish.

D: Sort of a concentrated and slightly amped-up version of an American adjunct lager. Clearly leaning heavy on marketing rather than product.

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

I was at the gas station (Stewarts if you live in the northeast) to pick up a six pack of budweiser for a birthday party. After grabbing my six pack I saw this and never looked back. I put my beer back in the cooler and grabbed this incredible beer.

It was $2.50 for six of them how could I go wrong? The packaging is just plain genius, it sticks out like a sore thumb in the cooler. At 5.5% that is almost the best deal on the market. They may even take foodstamps for this beer.

This beer poured almost exactly like Miller High Life does. I has a really sticky white head that persists for quite a while. It smells like a dirty sock and tastes like leftover bologna. But it'll get you drunk for less than a pack of smokes.

3.28/5  rDev +19.3%

This is quite a thing of beauty, in the eyes of a select few, at least. Taken at "face-value," this is simply a cheap beer with mediocre taste, with a great value no one can deny. However, this beer seems to have a heavenly aura surrounding it that even the most expensive of microbrews lack.

This beer, at 3 dollars and some change for a six pack, with a respectable 5.5 ABV, represents a cheap getaway. Relaxation, stress-relief, and for some, meditation, can be had so cheaply and conveniently-a quick trip to Stewarts, maybe picking up a 1 dollar energy drink or sandwich if you're loaded, and you are on the road to inebriation. In style I might add.

One thing about this beer that some might not realize is that it truly its best when consumed in the great outdoors, even if that means car-camping. It is when graced with the tender touch of nature that this beer really shines. To truly experience the splendor of a Mountain Brew Beer Ice, it is suggested that you buy a six-pack, and sit around a fire for a few hours with friends. Or by yourself. This beer has an odd tendency to bring feelings of elation to the drinker when consumed outside.

In summary, this is a great beer. It's legitimacy and special place it holds in the hearts of those few with absolutely discernible taste cannot be quantified by the rating of its "taste," or it's "smell." Sure, this beer has those characteristics, but that is not what the Mountain Brew Beer Ice experience is about. Those who know, know.

2.04/5  rDev -25.8%

Cans purchased at Stewarts Shops in Delmar, NY. Genesee makes this classic only for Stewarts!

Pours out super light, looks almost like water. Like a mountain stream or something! Pretty fizzy.

Smells like nothing. Some corn like extract aromas are weak, thankfully.

Also tastes basically like nothing. It isn't particularly offensive, until it warms up. There is a very slight marginal bitter bite at the end of each sip.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation.

This brings back a lot of funny memories, doesn't mean it's any good though.

2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz can courtesy of sliverx, thanks...I think. Pours crystal clear with a fluffy cap of white head. Decent retention and lacing for the style.

Nose is sweet cooked grains and maybe some CO2. Light and uncomplicated.

The sweetness of the beer really stands out to me...and not in a good way. Sugary grains and alcohol is about all my palate can detect. Tastes more akin to a malt liquor than your typical adjunct lager. Missing any sort of even a hint of hops. This one is bad news all around, I guess this is revenge for the Big Flats, Tim?...Dont worry - I'll finish my can.

I poured this elixir of the gods from it's magical white-gold canister into a pint glass wiped with the finest of paper towels. My hairs tingled as the luxurious head breached the rim and moistened my trousers. There was heavy lacing up to my belt buckle.

The sweet aroma of Mountain Brew Ice is not unlike 72 virgins on a spring day or a fresh cut lawn.

When the creamy brew passed over my taste buds I was transported to a mystical world of golden showers and overflowing fountains of toasted pine nuts and molasses. This "Mountain Brew" was not one to be taken lightly. My ribs trembled with pleasure and I felt a stirring in my loins. The man I once was is now dead and a new beast arises- one that will never settle for a mediocre beer, but only for the one true savior: Mountain Brew Beer Ice.

2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I'm going to try to start a bad-beer review series, with some fun and interesting reviews. This will only occur when I have time as I need the time to spell out the terribleness of how bad the beer is. This one came thanks to rudzud, at was very cheap, but at least it's from a can.

Pours a huge fizzy head that rises to about 2 fingers then fades pretty quickly, but many bubbles rising up from the bottom reinforce it, they look like soap lather. The beer is crystal clear like it was carbon filtered by Pur or something, and a super light yellow stained water colored beer, that barely has any color.

Nose sure smells like a macro adjunct lager, but maybe a bit better than the real macro beers. A metallic like unhappy lager yeast aromas. However there is some nice malty toasty malt like aroma, light pilsner malt and hint of straw, light crisp lager aromas, and hints of fruit. So overall not too bad. The deeper I nose a little bit of sweet syrupy extract adjunct like aroma starts to come out.

Taste is hopefully not too bad either, well, actually is fairly bad. It has quite a fake adjunct lager flavor, little metallic twing, and a light skunky taste. I seriously think fake lagers like this are automatically skunked from the yeast itself and don't need clear bottles. The next wave brings sweet fake adjunct extract syrup and fake malts. A warm fruity flavor comes out, but not a nice lager fruit, more like very old apple juice that was filtered through carbon and ass, and a weird rotten pear. At least its very drinkable, as in as refreshing as water, since, despite all those weird flavors I mentioned, it's pretty much like water, the flavors are so light that I almost think I'm drinking Boston water without the chlorine. Although it's not all bad, there are some light pilsner malts and hints of straw, but barely. It also h as a dry finish and light crispness... and what's this, do I detect a hint of hops? Like they waved a sack of hops over teh beer and some flakes fell in.

Mouth is there but is it really? If I compared this to water, Ithink the water would have more weight, but that's my well water, so probably city water is lighter. Also hints of carb that seem to have floated into space the minute I poured it.

Overall, well not quite as bad as I was expecting, but still pretty bad. The off flavors are rampant, adjunct macro lager is defintely there, and it's pretty much like bad water with barely anything to it overall. For now the rest is a drain pour I think, but on a hot summer day I could see pounding this down over some of the larger macro swill or chlorinated city water.

1.9/5  rDev -30.9%

Whee! Another AAL on the CANQuest (TM)! I CAN hardly wait to try it. Hey, it is "A very cool brew!" according to the CAN, plus should anyone be thinking about trading with me in support of the CANQuest, I will take anything and everything that I have not previously reviewed. No apologies necessary.

I got a foamy finger of bone-white head off of my pour and it decided to hang around instead of just disappearing. Color was a medium golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was the standard for the style - a slight lager sweetness overlain by cereal extenders. Mouthfeel was medium with a slightly unpleasant astringency in the mouth. Finish left me with a highly unpleasant aftertaste of hydrogen peroxide, hearkening back to when I was a kid afflicted with trench mouth. Not cool at all!

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

I couldn't resist this one, got a six pack for $2.99. I figured what the heck, worst case scenario I paid $2.99 for a beer I didn't like and I could just give the rest away to someone I thought might like them, or possible drain pour, wouldn't be the first time. I was pleasantly surprised. I probably would have rated the look a little bit higher if it wasn't for how cheap the can looked. Looks like a cheap knock-off soda can, however what was inside looked a lot better. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, it comes out a golden amber color that looked pretty good. It had a pretty thick head on it and what's this??? is that lacing on the glass I actually see?...not bad. It's not crazy lacing but certainly noticeable. Like most in this style, good clarity, all in all pretty good looking for the style. Smell is pretty average, not a whole lot going on, barley, malted, but not too well, slight hop smell towards the end. The taste is a step up doesn't taste as cheap as your big name American Adjunct Lagers. No gross sour or rotten aftertaste. Taste more malty than the smell leads you to believe and a very slight hop taste, nothing to write home about, but detectable. Mouthfeel is pretty average as is the drinkablility. I had a couple a few days earlier prior to reviewing this one. I actually let it warm up during the review. Unlike most macro beers when it warms up it's not disgusting, still drinkable. It separates itself overall from most in this styel, certainly in the ones I've tried. So if your in the NY area and happen to go bye a Stewart's Shops, pick up a six pack, not feeling that ambitious, their still only 75 cents a can, worth it.

1.75/5  rDev -36.4%

3.38/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a mild-golden color into my pint glass. Looks about right for the style. Nothing interesting.

Aroma is mildly sweet with a slight hint of corn. Quite average for the style, which is a good thing.

Taste is full of mildly sweet and grainy malt with a blast of corn upfront. Not horrible but just very dull and cheap.

Mouthfeel is hardly there. Full of lingering corn and sweetness. Otherwise inoffensive.

There are always some pros to such a beer: It's cheap ($2.99 a 6 pack!) and it's brewed by NAB (Genesee). Of course, you can't buy it in Vermont but you can still buy Genesee itself. Come to think of it, they do taste similar. Regardless, when you can't afford the champagne of beers, get mountain brew cold!

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured a very tinted yellow color, with a HUGE head. Very clear, could see through it.

Did not detect much of a smell, a little grains on the smell.

The taste was average for this beer, which suprised me, as I expected to be very disappointed in it. I wasn't, it's a drinkable summer adjunct lager. An OK choice for a "session beer". Some grains, a little sweetness and even the tinyest touch of hops.

Very carbonated to the mouth, but a clean finish with little aftertaste.

Overall, its a summer , hot and thirsty beer. But honestly, go with the Genessee Cream Ale, it's much better.

3.75/5  rDev +36.4%

Went to lake george NY for this beer. I saw a sign at a liqour store for 3.99 for a six pack so i had to buy it. Wasnt expecting much, but i was pleasently surprised. This beer was really good. Good taste, not watery, didnt get a headache. No bad aftertaste, not filling. Drank the six pack in a few hours and felt fine. For a cheap beer its def. worth it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Mountain Brew Beer Ice from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.