Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 118 | Reviews: 60
1.48/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes you get what you buy. I don't know what I expected but what I got was a flashy can and a bad taste in my mouth. If you just wanna get drunk and can hold your nose than go for it.

3.14/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

24 oz. can
Served in a Firestone Walker pils glass

A - It pours a crisp golden color that is devoid of any floating imperfections. The effervescent body continuously feeds a brilliant white cloud of foam that leaves traces of its presence down the side of the glass.

S - It has an initial sweet candy aroma. Upon further investigation I discover the scent of candied apple and some floral notes.

T - The taste begins sweet with some grain flavors. Then a floral taste crosses my palate. Then I get smacked with the alcohol. Then, as quickly as it came, the alcohol taste subsides leaving a clean, crisp finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation.

O - This beer starts out a little harsh. Once the 8% numbs my tongue it becomes rather easy to drink. It is an exemplary example of an underappreciated style.

2.83/5  rDev +30.4%

A little too sweet, good price for the quality. Anything is better than Bud or Coors, right? The aroma isn't bad. The name is catchy and reminiscent of upstate New York. I usually drink lager or ale warm, but this was ice cold. No way can I drink more than 4 oz. Just a bit too flavorful and I might gain weight. Italians make their beer and wines too sweet.

2.01/5  rDev -7.4%

A golden color similar to miller, It doesn't look bad, with a one finger head but man does it smell awful. It smells like a bottle return. And it tastes like old "morning after party" kind of beer I don't like it I'm struggling trying to finish this glass so I can review my fat tire but I would not recommend this beer. It feels under carbonated in under 10 minutes and it makes me gag. Spend the extra 10 cents on something better.

1.83/5  rDev -15.7%

I'm no stranger to the cheap brews. I get them frequently. And believe it or not, even as a high end craft brew drinker, I do enjoy some like Colt 45 (for what it is).

But this...It just sucks. It's got a rather bad taste to it, almost similar to Icehouse. It's 8%, and cheap, and has a cool can. That's about as much good as I can say of it. For a few cents more, get yourself something like a Hurricane or Four Loko. The flavor is just bad, no matter how you look at it. It smells like any other cheap High Grav, and possibly a bit worse. It looks just like you'd expect.

Unless you cannot find any other cheap 8% brews around, get something else. If it was still 10% like it used to be, there would at least be that as reason to get it. But with other 8%+ options, all for a few cents more (Or even less), there's really no reason to buy this. I got it on a whim, because I collect cans+bottles, and didn't have this one yet.

Your best bet with this is just to shotgun it, or have it after you've had a few. The flavor is bad.

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

its a corny malt liquor pours like any other malt liquor ,
its punjent its strong , its a high gravity malt liqour and not one of the better ones its ok but hurricane, steel reserve, icehouse edge,old englishe and shlits vsl is better. even natty daddy is a bit better

but its worth it for the can and you get a buzz

still better than stack , and camo ice

its isnt the easiest to drink but its 8% and its cheap but i wont buy it for a long time

1.88/5  rDev -13.4%

This used to be 10.0% ABV. Not so impressive at the now 8.0% ABV. Boo to you Rock Wall Brewing Company (Genesee) for already diluting this circa 2011 beer in search of profits and pressure from the media in wake of the Four Loko flap.

A: No reason to pour this out of the can, but I did. Looks like orangey Coors Light.

S: Ugh. That super sub-premium smell as in Big Flats, Game Day, and Beer30. Strong caramel, metal, and banana. Maybe some oak, but that is interchangeable with banana.

T: Beer made from the finest dumpster water. Bitter, finishes sour. Carbonated water and pennies with a melted Werther's Original thrown in. No effort at uniqueness here.

M: Carbonated water. Super light.

O: I hate to bad mouth a malt liquor because I love the style but I have no respect to the reduction in ABV. This is drinkable but there are better options, MANY better options, in the 8% ABV high gravity malt liquor range.

To the brewer: Know your customers.

24oz can bought on a whim. sometimes i like to take a chance on hobo beer.

for what this is, it's not bad at all (just drink it cold). crisp malt liquor malts (read: bready and sweet) with a bitter kiss of *gasp* hops! it's has a little citrus before you get the semi-sickly sweet aftertaste, but not as bad as some others.

like i said, good for what it is. outclasses most others on the same shelf.

2.99/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a 24 oz can several months ago from Wegman's.

poured from can into large pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: yellow gold with a white head, good lacing.

aroma: plenty of malt, some corn syrup sweetness, a touch of hops,

mouthfeel: listless,

taste: corn syrup, malt, slight mustiness.

notes: not much to say

2.2/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

24oz can poured into a snifter. Canned on Aug 26th 2013.

A: Pours a clear pale golden yellow with a dense white head. Not much visible carbonation. Leaves some decent lacing behind as the head slowly fades over the course of a minute or two.

S: Not a very pleasant aroma, corn dominates the aroma giving a heavy macro lager feel. Can catch a whiff of that higher ABV.

T: Malts add some breadiness and a fair amount of sweetness. Alcohol remains well hidden only giving you a bit of a cringe after swallowing. Best drink this one cold before the malts show their true colors.

M: Light to medium body with slightly low carbonation. Alcohol is a bit sharp. Finish lingers a bit with a stickiness from the malts.

Overall its a good value if you're looking to get drunk and willing to sacrifice some flavor. Don't think I'll be going back for another round though.

1.41/5  rDev -35%

This is the first day on here and I just have to review on this one. This is the most God awful beer I have ever had. My buddy and I are currently sitting drinking this and all we can do is make faces as we pathetically sip away at this monstrosity of a beer. You have been warned! Use your money on at least a Coors (I dislike Coors).

Appearance- Piss Yellow

Smell- indescribable but if I were to try to, think of apples

Taste- As soon as it hit my tongue I thought "I might like this" but then I became overwhelmed with the taste of what I thought was sludge.

Mouthfeel- I personally don't like very carbonated beers and this one very much that.

2.46/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: It was poured from a 24oz can into a big mug. The label on the can lists the abv at 10%

Appearance: Dog Bite High Gravity Lager has a bright golden body with very good clarity and lots of visible carbonation. From the long pour I got a tall fluffy head that hung on longer than expected.

Smell: In the nose this one is big on corn cereal, raw grain and sweet syrupy corn.

Taste/Palate: The flavor matches its aroma plus it adds a slight over cooked vegetable undertone before finishing with some light earthy dry and bland hops.

Notes: Overall I am not a fan.

3.03/5  rDev +39.6%

Golden yellow body starting with a thick, white head that soon fades to a thin coating. Light grain aroma with a touch very light touch of hops. Taste follows the smell for the most part with a light touch of alcohol presence. Smooth and light feel, dry finish.

I saw this one next to the other regular low-cost, cheaply made beers near the checkout line. For a $1.59, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Not great by any means, but sure as hell beats the crap out of something like Olde English 800.

3.14/5  rDev +44.7%

Clear gold with a big white head. Lasts quite a while. Good amount of lacings.
Smell not much smell good or bad.
Taste is like regular Genny with a bit more body and sweetness. Hard to tell this is 8% abv.
Mouthfeel is average and carbonation is alright.
Overall if you like Genny lager you should give this a try. If only for a rating.

1.81/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, StarRaptor!

A hugely carbonated, light golden-colored high-gravity lager. This can presents everything you hoped and feared it would be. Corn, miscellaneous grain, alcohol presence, and some aluminum combine to make...something hardly drinkable. A tick is a tick, but this won't be seeing my lips again.

1.58/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Really weak yellow color, good 1" head that quickly vanishes leaving no lace. Aroma was of aluminum and alcohol. Do they even line these cans? Tastes au natural, this is the can to drink if you're one of those BPA causeheads! Further searching yields a sweet creamed corn malt base underneath the aluminum and alcohol aroma.

Taste, eeegad, I'm glad I was able to pawn most of this off on others. Alcohol, thin body, corn, corn syrup and metal. Pretty gross, tastes just like the label looks (terrible). I think as you drink more of it, you become a little accustomed to its shittiness, and you start to hallucinate and think you can taste green apple, that the fusel alcohol like flavors burning your ear, nose and throat pavillion aren't really as harsh as they were at first. Desensitizing I guess, which oddly, is a good thing when the beer starts out this bad.

Even judging to style, this is on the low end of things. If you really want to punish your taste buds, let it warm up on a sunny day. Starts to drink like its 80 proof stuff.

1.15/5  rDev -47%

Good Lord, this is awful. But I guess I'm obligated to say more.

Headless, clear golden yellow. Smells of syrupy corn and alcohol. Mouthfeel is initially bitter, but immediately gives way to heavy-handed, boozy sweetness. Some apple taste. Very nasty. No redeeming features. Over-sized 24 oz. can means twice as much suffering if you decide (?!) to stick it out. Pathetic effort.

Cheap, but you'd be better to put the money to bus fare or something. Drain pour. You've been warned.

3.23/5  rDev +48.8%

This is the first time that I've drunk Dog Bite since the alcohol content dropped from 10% to 8%. Quite frankly, I can't see why Genesee would do that. The taste is somewhat different now. Whereas the former (and in my opinion, better) version of Dog Bite was very sweet tasting, the new formula is more run-of-the-mill as far as an HG beer goes. I also don't get the grape-ish smell of old. It's still good, and well worth whatever small amount you'll pay, but it isn't the AxeHead type of skullcrusher it once was. R.I.P. to a great beer, and hello to a decent one.

2.88/5  rDev +32.7%

Saw this at 7-11 one night and figured what the hell?

Appearance- Clear yellow color just like any other macr american lager. Had an off white head that vanished right away.

Smell- Smells of sweet corn and alcohol.

Taste- It has a taste of sweet corn adjunct but it's not as bad as i expected. Im also getting a weird bitter green apple taste for some reason. It tastes like a stronger macro american brew. For a cheap 10% beer it's not too bad.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is light and carbonated like any other american beer but with a higher alcohol finish but not too over powering.

Overall- This beer surprised me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Genesee brewing co. did a pretty good job with this for the style of this beer.

1.86/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the most foul glasses of swill I've ever had, but the cans are $1.49 locally and at 10%, two of them will easily drown away the memories of a shitty day.

Smells like rotting honey and tastes like a machine shop floor drain. Drink it ice cold and DO NOT let it get warm. It gets much worse.

1.83/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes, you just gotta say...what the f@#k.

That was my thought tonight as i gassed up at a local convenient store and saw this bright orange monstrosity staring back at me from behind the cooler.

I put down my 1.79 and took her home, poured half into my pint glass...and chuckled to myself.

Look was actually pretty typical of an American lager...dull yellow...medium head that faded quickly, and just a touch of lace as i drank. Kinda went downhill after that.

Ajunct corn smell...some syrupy malt, and rubbing alcohol. Well, it is 10% for Christ's sake.

Holy moly...this is some foul swill. Not much flavor at all...any initial malt is covered immediately by the rubbing alcohol booze. Not much carbonation...gets much, much worse as it warms. Pretty sour aftertaste only worsens with time. Unfortunately, it's hard to drink this one fast...but I won't drain pour it, no matter what my headache is telling me.

Yes, it's 10%...but if you want to get a cheap buzz on quickly without suffering, I suggest you skip this and stick to shots of vodka.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

It doesn't get much swankier than this. Every once in awhile, I just want to get trashy for cheap, and that's exactly what this is designed for. It pours yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells sickly sweet, like a bar bathroom that has been vomited in. The taste isn't as horrible as the smell, and I can get acclimated to it. There is a boozy aftertaste, but what would you expect for a 10% tall boy for less than $1.50.

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

24oz can bought at a gas station for $1.25. Poured some into a glass to see what it looked like.

Off yellow color.

Malts, corn, and booze.

Horrible. Sickeningly sweet.

Watery with slight fizz.

Fucking disgusting, horrible shit. I never waste beer and this got poured down the drain. There are many more cheap, strong/special brews that taste much better. Avoid.

2.13/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a lighter pure white head. The head fades fast giving way to some lacing.

Smell – Corn with the slightest bit of booze.

Taste – Sweet corn mixed with some breadiness up front. These tastes last through the middle and to the end, but lighten as the taste advances. Toward the end an alcohol flavor really becomes potent and lingers in the aftertaste. Along with the lingering of the alcohol there are flavors of metal and aldehydes. It starts out alright, but leaves one unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with normal carbonation. Not much else to say.

Overall – Nothing I would do again. If you feel like a malt (which sometimes I do) I would not take this one. Go with something else.

2.46/5  rDev +13.4%

Clear, straw-yellow with a white head. Good head retention. Aroma of alcohol and sour grain, but not unpleasant. Taste is winy, grainy, and slightly sweet. Viscous mouthfeel. Lingering bad aftertaste. Poured the rest down the drain.

This was an interesting tasting experience. This beer starts strong--nice appearance, acceptable aroma--and then it all falls apart.

to view more.
Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.