Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010)

aaroncom2005, Dec 29, 2012

Ablake59, Mar 31, 2014

aaronbraun, Apr 15, 2013

dubmax, Oct 27, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +87.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

24oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - White seafoam head that disappears moderately quickly and violently. Clear, pale straw body with a bit of bubbling.

Smell - Malty sweet. Almost smells like dark, overripe fruit. Not bad for a cheap malt liquor. Has abbey ale qualities.

Taste - Strong. Sweet, alcoholic body. Astringent finish. Again, reminds me a lot of an abbey ale, is really surprising.

Mouthfeel - Astringent. Otherwise smooth and medium bodied.

Overall Drinkability - For it's style, really good. Doesn't even taste like a malt liquor. More an Abbey Lager, if there was a term for that. This review is probably my biggest rating deviation of any review I've made.

ZenAgnostic, Jul 03, 2011

Now this is a nasty lookin' MoFo...
Halloween coloered can with some graphics that look like what you'd see on a Heavy Metal album cover.
Just the name and the advertised ABV made this baby a "must have".
IIRC, it was $1.09 for the 24 oz can.
Pours out a typical gorgeous and glorious yellow.
Aroma...you can smell it from a good distance. I would describe it as a "floral tincture".
It tastes as it should, like a high ABV beverage made from barley malt and corn syrup.
I think it's quite good. This beer is one that would be worth packing back into the woods on a deer hunting expedition
I rate it as being "good" in all respects.

industrialswill, Nov 21, 2011

Dave7500kl, May 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +72%

Doesn't have that look of brown, soapy water that most malt liquor seems to have. Other than that, it's unremarkable in appearance. Smells extremely sweet and fruity, with some tart graininess also. Also very sweet and fruity upon tasting. Tastes a little like apple cider. A hint of the tart, earthy flavor associated with malt liquor is there. The slogan for this beer is something about it being a strong beer without a strong bite, and they nailed that. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm forced to drink malt liquor (or just want to get drunk really quick) I'll probably grab a few cans of this stuff.

keeganfrank, May 19, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +72%

Let me preface this review by saying that I am sure all the previous reviewers know more about beer than I do. I just wanted to make a few comments anyway.

Dog Bite isn't some prissy, craft-brewed confection, it's B-E-E-R. And, it's way strong, which I like. So, it gets good marks. It's not going to excite connoisseurs, though.

Not that this is germane to the beer itself, but the can graphics are really cool.

This beer is an average American product, except for the higher alcohol content, hence the name "high gravity", presumably referring to high specific gravity in the finished product compared to other beers. As such, it does not deserve to be panned (nor lauded particularly).

The reason I reviewed this beer is to disagree with the "Avoid" rating. There is no reason to avoid it unless you are expecting more than you should from this beer. Come on, it's Genesee. Get real.

mainer88, Apr 17, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +60.6%

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +50.5%

A: Pale lemon pour with a easy clarity revealing a heavy rapid effervesce of medium-dense macro-bubbles. A weakly holding bubbly, foamy head does little to impress and hold, leaving little in the way of window dressing (lace).

S: Fairly true to style, nose holds a light mixture of dried orange aroma and pale grains. Would of liked a bit more grainy flavor, yet was fairly clean with no off aromas, but still comes off average per style.

T: For flavor there was some graininess, a bit surprised with a touch of sweet cara-pils, orange honey and even a little bit of hops show up of herbal mentions. There is some alcohol but is well maintained for its 10%abv providing a gentle complimentary warming, Sweet gain base, some light corn-syrup, and a bit of herbal hops gives this something to think about.

M: High level of carbonation and bubbly activity. Fairly crisp with a medium resistance on the tongue. A bit maltier then your typical per style.

D: Served from a 24oz tall boy can. Amazing this is fairly easy to handle for a 10%abv drink, little if any heat, only a gentle warming in passing makes it feel several points lower.

Endnote: this is a American malt liquor and I judged it as so per style. Considering the competition and others per style this was fair to manage and not as bad as its overall rating may make it appear. Overall I feel this is worthy by style.

beerthulhu, Apr 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +49.1%

This is the first time that I've drunk Dog Bite since the alcohol content dropped from 10% to 8%. Quite frankly, I can't see why Genesee would do that. The taste is somewhat different now. Whereas the former (and in my opinion, better) version of Dog Bite was very sweet tasting, the new formula is more run-of-the-mill as far as an HG beer goes. I also don't get the grape-ish smell of old. It's still good, and well worth whatever small amount you'll pay, but it isn't the AxeHead type of skullcrusher it once was. R.I.P. to a great beer, and hello to a decent one.

shinerod, Nov 06, 2012
3.24/5  rDev +48.6%

MaddDogg84, Today at 04:19 AM
3.14/5  rDev +44%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

24 oz. can
Served in a Firestone Walker pils glass

A - It pours a crisp golden color that is devoid of any floating imperfections. The effervescent body continuously feeds a brilliant white cloud of foam that leaves traces of its presence down the side of the glass.

S - It has an initial sweet candy aroma. Upon further investigation I discover the scent of candied apple and some floral notes.

T - The taste begins sweet with some grain flavors. Then a floral taste crosses my palate. Then I get smacked with the alcohol. Then, as quickly as it came, the alcohol taste subsides leaving a clean, crisp finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation.

O - This beer starts out a little harsh. Once the 8% numbs my tongue it becomes rather easy to drink. It is an exemplary example of an underappreciated style.

buschbeer, Aug 05, 2014
3.13/5  rDev +43.6%

Clear gold with a big white head. Lasts quite a while. Good amount of lacings.
Smell not much smell good or bad.
Taste is like regular Genny with a bit more body and sweetness. Hard to tell this is 8% abv.
Mouthfeel is average and carbonation is alright.
Overall if you like Genny lager you should give this a try. If only for a rating.

Spikester, Jul 17, 2013
3.08/5  rDev +41.3%

24oz can bought on a whim. sometimes i like to take a chance on hobo beer.

for what this is, it's not bad at all (just drink it cold). crisp malt liquor malts (read: bready and sweet) with a bitter kiss of *gasp* hops! it's has a little citrus before you get the semi-sickly sweet aftertaste, but not as bad as some others.

like i said, good for what it is. outclasses most others on the same shelf.

jimmah120, Dec 30, 2013
3.03/5  rDev +39%

Golden yellow body starting with a thick, white head that soon fades to a thin coating. Light grain aroma with a touch very light touch of hops. Taste follows the smell for the most part with a light touch of alcohol presence. Smooth and light feel, dry finish.

I saw this one next to the other regular low-cost, cheaply made beers near the checkout line. For a $1.59, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Not great by any means, but sure as hell beats the crap out of something like Olde English 800.

beergoot, Sep 06, 2013

blackened1339, Nov 28, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can courtesy of Brad. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a clear orange yellow with a short lived white head.

S: Metal and corn with a big time vegetal aroma. Cooked grains and miscellaneous citrus peel with some strangely acidic apple juice notes to it. A touch of garbage, and maybe some food left in the garbage disposal without being flushed down the sink for a few days.

T: The flavor is pretty typical for a malt liquor. Really quite sweet with a big emphasis on corn and corn syrup. A touch of apple juice and interestingly enough, some banana.

M: Medium in body with a medium to lively carbonation.

O: The nose was just atrocious, but the flavor was actually pretty decent. If you're just looking for a buzz, this could work.

womencantsail, May 12, 2011

CaverDave, Jul 10, 2013
2.96/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a 24 oz can several months ago from Wegman's.

poured from can into large pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: yellow gold with a white head, good lacing.

aroma: plenty of malt, some corn syrup sweetness, a touch of hops,

mouthfeel: listless,

taste: corn syrup, malt, slight mustiness.

notes: not much to say

fx20736, Nov 20, 2013
2.95/5  rDev +35.3%

Found this while checking out a bev place I should go to more often..but that's another story.

A slightly reserved pour still kicks up a healthy head of white soapy bubbles..They didn't hang for long. The thin remaining cover did deposit some splotchy lace though.

Smells a bit sweet, a little solvent like with a touch of yeastiness..interesting.

Dare I sip a malt liquor? Nah, I think a manly mouthful is called for here..It brings initial sweetness along with a fairly biting carbonation and a definite alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is on the thick and slick side..seems to be the norm with these HG malt liquors.

This is one of the better of this genre based on it's drink-ability and, at a buck fifty for a 24oz can, even if it sucked it wouldn't hurt my conscience too much.

BrewMaven, Jan 17, 2012
2.9/5  rDev +33%

Saw this at 7-11 one night and figured what the hell?

Appearance- Clear yellow color just like any other macr american lager. Had an off white head that vanished right away.

Smell- Smells of sweet corn and alcohol.

Taste- It has a taste of sweet corn adjunct but it's not as bad as i expected. Im also getting a weird bitter green apple taste for some reason. It tastes like a stronger macro american brew. For a cheap 10% beer it's not too bad.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is light and carbonated like any other american beer but with a higher alcohol finish but not too over powering.

Overall- This beer surprised me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Genesee brewing co. did a pretty good job with this for the style of this beer.

jslice99, Oct 22, 2012
2.88/5  rDev +32.1%

Dog Bite has a very thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with some bubbles streaming up and a surprisingly good amount of ragged lacing. The aroma is of dense corn husks and maybe other grains. Taste is a mixture of corn, corn husks, malted barley, and even a touch of hops. Sweetness and alcohol are strongly present across the sip. Dog Bite has a medium mouthfeel, and it finishes shockingly crisp and refreshing, but not clean, however. While I do not really like this barley-wine type beer, I thought it was sort of good and tasty, not awful and disgusting as I expected. However, it did go straight to my head and my 15-minute nap on the couch turned into an hour and a half knock out. I awoke feeling disoriented, somewhat queasy, and off kilter. Overall, this should be approached with trepidation. I think it does have some redeeming qualities, but I can’t, in good consciousness, recommend this.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Oct 01, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +29.8%

Yay, another AML as part of The CANQuest (TM)! My local trade partner alerted me to its existence and I made it a point to seek it out. As you CAN tell from the picture, Cerberus guards this beer and if I am going to be dog bitten, it may as well be by one of the most famous dogs in mythology/literature. I recently had a bad fall on my steps and maybe this will dull some of the pain.

Houston, we had a problem from Jump Street - these oversize CANs tend to have their opening further back from the lip and it CAN and did lead to minor spillage. I had a MacBeth head, a brief finger of bone white head that strutted briefly upon the stage before it was Out, out brief head time. The color was a stunning sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Color is usually a strong suit among these types of beers, IMHO. Nose was strong, but not a strong suit. It smelled like bubble gum being chewed at the dry cleaning plant inside the local plastics factory. The dog was already beginning to bite and I had not even gotten in my first sip! Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a good deal of carbonation scrubbing away at my palate so that I would better appreciate the subtle nuances of such a beer. It is too bad that subtlety was not a strong suit, either. This was like a 10-lb. sledgehammer coming full force at my Brain Housing Group. It had a taste like apple cider gone slightly wrong, not quite apple jack, but no longer cider, either. I popped an Aleve and awaited the fireworks before I take my post-school day lay down before Wednesday night trivia. Ah, the dog is nippin' at me all over now! My flesh was being rent from my extremities as the dog decided to play with me before finishing me off. Speaking of finish, it was not too terribly bad. It had a lot of sweetness, which is unusual for the style, so maybe they have not worked the yeast to death yet. It also had a lot of odd flavors, like green apple and fusel alcohol.

I have drank enough of this style to know an "F" and this was not it, boys and girls. This was not totally unpleasant, Minhas-style, nor was it at the upper-end, like Double Colt 45, which I actually like and have shared in the alley behind my house with some of the night crawling denizens. This was somewhere in the middle, the Twilight Zone of AMLs, where dogs bark in the night but leave you semi-conscious to come back for another go-'round. Go ahead, bite me again, you beast! I dare you.

woodychandler, Feb 16, 2011
Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.