Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010

4.08/5  rDev +79.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

24oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - White seafoam head that disappears moderately quickly and violently. Clear, pale straw body with a bit of bubbling.

Smell - Malty sweet. Almost smells like dark, overripe fruit. Not bad for a cheap malt liquor. Has abbey ale qualities.

Taste - Strong. Sweet, alcoholic body. Astringent finish. Again, reminds me a lot of an abbey ale, is really surprising.

Mouthfeel - Astringent. Otherwise smooth and medium bodied.

Overall Drinkability - For it's style, really good. Doesn't even taste like a malt liquor. More an Abbey Lager, if there was a term for that. This review is probably my biggest rating deviation of any review I've made.

Now this is a nasty lookin' MoFo...
Halloween coloered can with some graphics that look like what you'd see on a Heavy Metal album cover.
Just the name and the advertised ABV made this baby a "must have".
IIRC, it was $1.09 for the 24 oz can.
Pours out a typical gorgeous and glorious yellow.
Aroma...you can smell it from a good distance. I would describe it as a "floral tincture".
It tastes as it should, like a high ABV beverage made from barley malt and corn syrup.
I think it's quite good. This beer is one that would be worth packing back into the woods on a deer hunting expedition
I rate it as being "good" in all respects.

3.7/5  rDev +63%

Doesn't have that look of brown, soapy water that most malt liquor seems to have. Other than that, it's unremarkable in appearance. Smells extremely sweet and fruity, with some tart graininess also. Also very sweet and fruity upon tasting. Tastes a little like apple cider. A hint of the tart, earthy flavor associated with malt liquor is there. The slogan for this beer is something about it being a strong beer without a strong bite, and they nailed that. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm forced to drink malt liquor (or just want to get drunk really quick) I'll probably grab a few cans of this stuff.

3.7/5  rDev +63%

Let me preface this review by saying that I am sure all the previous reviewers know more about beer than I do. I just wanted to make a few comments anyway.

Dog Bite isn't some prissy, craft-brewed confection, it's B-E-E-R. And, it's way strong, which I like. So, it gets good marks. It's not going to excite connoisseurs, though.

Not that this is germane to the beer itself, but the can graphics are really cool.

This beer is an average American product, except for the higher alcohol content, hence the name "high gravity", presumably referring to high specific gravity in the finished product compared to other beers. As such, it does not deserve to be panned (nor lauded particularly).

The reason I reviewed this beer is to disagree with the "Avoid" rating. There is no reason to avoid it unless you are expecting more than you should from this beer. Come on, it's Genesee. Get real.

3.42/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Rock Wall Brewing Co. "Dog Bite High Gravity Lager"
24 oz. can, no freshness dating
$1.79 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Dog Bite is a surprisingly fruity malt liquor, delivering notes of apple and grape. It was so fruity in fact that I had to check the label to make sure it wasn't flavored. As to its being a "lager", yes it's lager yeast, but it's clearly fermented warm.

It appears in the glass like any other malt liquor with a deep golden body beneath a short head of white foam. The head retention is fairly good, and it actually leaves some really nice, although thin, lacing about the glass. It's somewhere between medium and medium-full in body, and just below standard carbonation at maybe 2.4 volumes CO2/liter which leaves it smooth across the palate.

The aroma is malty with the suggestion of fruit and a touch of alcohol.

Beyond the fruitiness there is alcohol, but it's not "hot", and there's also a note of sugary, almost mint (which may or may not be coming from hops) as well as a pleasant note of cereal and some floral character. It's not overly sweet though, especially for a malt liquor, and despite its limited bitterness it's still able to dry in the finish; and that's great because unlike many others in the category it doesn't build upon the palate.

Although I was initially surprised by the fruity component, it's not something negative within the style, and is actually pleasant. It gives it some character and charm. For fans of the style I'd say you have to check it out.

3.25/5  rDev +43.2%

A: Pale lemon pour with a easy clarity revealing a heavy rapid effervesce of medium-dense macro-bubbles. A weakly holding bubbly, foamy head does little to impress and hold, leaving little in the way of window dressing (lace).

S: Fairly true to style, nose holds a light mixture of dried orange aroma and pale grains. Would of liked a bit more grainy flavor, yet was fairly clean with no off aromas, but still comes off average per style.

T: For flavor there was some graininess, a bit surprised with a touch of sweet cara-pils, orange honey and even a little bit of hops show up of herbal mentions. There is some alcohol but is well maintained for its 10%abv providing a gentle complimentary warming, Sweet gain base, some light corn-syrup, and a bit of herbal hops gives this something to think about.

M: High level of carbonation and bubbly activity. Fairly crisp with a medium resistance on the tongue. A bit maltier then your typical per style.

D: Served from a 24oz tall boy can. Amazing this is fairly easy to handle for a 10%abv drink, little if any heat, only a gentle warming in passing makes it feel several points lower.

Endnote: this is a American malt liquor and I judged it as so per style. Considering the competition and others per style this was fair to manage and not as bad as its overall rating may make it appear. Overall I feel this is worthy by style.

3.23/5  rDev +42.3%

This is the first time that I've drunk Dog Bite since the alcohol content dropped from 10% to 8%. Quite frankly, I can't see why Genesee would do that. The taste is somewhat different now. Whereas the former (and in my opinion, better) version of Dog Bite was very sweet tasting, the new formula is more run-of-the-mill as far as an HG beer goes. I also don't get the grape-ish smell of old. It's still good, and well worth whatever small amount you'll pay, but it isn't the AxeHead type of skullcrusher it once was. R.I.P. to a great beer, and hello to a decent one.

3.14/5  rDev +38.3%

Clear gold with a big white head. Lasts quite a while. Good amount of lacings.
Smell not much smell good or bad.
Taste is like regular Genny with a bit more body and sweetness. Hard to tell this is 8% abv.
Mouthfeel is average and carbonation is alright.
Overall if you like Genny lager you should give this a try. If only for a rating.

3.14/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

24 oz. can
Served in a Firestone Walker pils glass

A - It pours a crisp golden color that is devoid of any floating imperfections. The effervescent body continuously feeds a brilliant white cloud of foam that leaves traces of its presence down the side of the glass.

S - It has an initial sweet candy aroma. Upon further investigation I discover the scent of candied apple and some floral notes.

T - The taste begins sweet with some grain flavors. Then a floral taste crosses my palate. Then I get smacked with the alcohol. Then, as quickly as it came, the alcohol taste subsides leaving a clean, crisp finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation.

O - This beer starts out a little harsh. Once the 8% numbs my tongue it becomes rather easy to drink. It is an exemplary example of an underappreciated style.

3.13/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 24 fl oz can. Sampled on July 1, 2015.

Yellow pour. White head that fades.

Toasted biscuit, corn, and grassy hops on the nose.

Smoother than some malt liquors. Not cloying. A thin body.

The flavor has this strange vegetable oil character with the toasted biscuit and grassy hops. Not a headache-inducing malt liquor like so many of them can be for me. So that puts it in a slightly higher class IMO.

3.03/5  rDev +33.5%

Golden yellow body starting with a thick, white head that soon fades to a thin coating. Light grain aroma with a touch very light touch of hops. Taste follows the smell for the most part with a light touch of alcohol presence. Smooth and light feel, dry finish.

I saw this one next to the other regular low-cost, cheaply made beers near the checkout line. For a $1.59, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Not great by any means, but sure as hell beats the crap out of something like Olde English 800.

24oz can bought on a whim. sometimes i like to take a chance on hobo beer.

for what this is, it's not bad at all (just drink it cold). crisp malt liquor malts (read: bready and sweet) with a bitter kiss of *gasp* hops! it's has a little citrus before you get the semi-sickly sweet aftertaste, but not as bad as some others.

like i said, good for what it is. outclasses most others on the same shelf.

2.99/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a 24 oz can several months ago from Wegman's.

poured from can into large pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: yellow gold with a white head, good lacing.

aroma: plenty of malt, some corn syrup sweetness, a touch of hops,

mouthfeel: listless,

taste: corn syrup, malt, slight mustiness.

notes: not much to say

2.93/5  rDev +29.1%

Found this while checking out a bev place I should go to more often..but that's another story.

A slightly reserved pour still kicks up a healthy head of white soapy bubbles..They didn't hang for long. The thin remaining cover did deposit some splotchy lace though.

Smells a bit sweet, a little solvent like with a touch of yeastiness..interesting.

Dare I sip a malt liquor? Nah, I think a manly mouthful is called for here..It brings initial sweetness along with a fairly biting carbonation and a definite alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is on the thick and slick side..seems to be the norm with these HG malt liquors.

This is one of the better of this genre based on it's drink-ability and, at a buck fifty for a 24oz can, even if it sucked it wouldn't hurt my conscience too much.

2.92/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can courtesy of Brad. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a clear orange yellow with a short lived white head.

S: Metal and corn with a big time vegetal aroma. Cooked grains and miscellaneous citrus peel with some strangely acidic apple juice notes to it. A touch of garbage, and maybe some food left in the garbage disposal without being flushed down the sink for a few days.

T: The flavor is pretty typical for a malt liquor. Really quite sweet with a big emphasis on corn and corn syrup. A touch of apple juice and interestingly enough, some banana.

M: Medium in body with a medium to lively carbonation.

O: The nose was just atrocious, but the flavor was actually pretty decent. If you're just looking for a buzz, this could work.

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

Saw this at 7-11 one night and figured what the hell?

Appearance- Clear yellow color just like any other macr american lager. Had an off white head that vanished right away.

Smell- Smells of sweet corn and alcohol.

Taste- It has a taste of sweet corn adjunct but it's not as bad as i expected. Im also getting a weird bitter green apple taste for some reason. It tastes like a stronger macro american brew. For a cheap 10% beer it's not too bad.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is light and carbonated like any other american beer but with a higher alcohol finish but not too over powering.

Overall- This beer surprised me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Genesee brewing co. did a pretty good job with this for the style of this beer.

2.85/5  rDev +25.6%

Dog Bite has a very thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with some bubbles streaming up and a surprisingly good amount of ragged lacing. The aroma is of dense corn husks and maybe other grains. Taste is a mixture of corn, corn husks, malted barley, and even a touch of hops. Sweetness and alcohol are strongly present across the sip. Dog Bite has a medium mouthfeel, and it finishes shockingly crisp and refreshing, but not clean, however. While I do not really like this barley-wine type beer, I thought it was sort of good and tasty, not awful and disgusting as I expected. However, it did go straight to my head and my 15-minute nap on the couch turned into an hour and a half knock out. I awoke feeling disoriented, somewhat queasy, and off kilter. Overall, this should be approached with trepidation. I think it does have some redeeming qualities, but I can’t, in good consciousness, recommend this.

2.83/5  rDev +24.7%

A little too sweet, good price for the quality. Anything is better than Bud or Coors, right? The aroma isn't bad. The name is catchy and reminiscent of upstate New York. I usually drink lager or ale warm, but this was ice cold. No way can I drink more than 4 oz. Just a bit too flavorful and I might gain weight. Italians make their beer and wines too sweet.

2.8/5  rDev +23.3%

Yay, another AML as part of The CANQuest (TM)! My local trade partner alerted me to its existence and I made it a point to seek it out. As you CAN tell from the picture, Cerberus guards this beer and if I am going to be dog bitten, it may as well be by one of the most famous dogs in mythology/literature. I recently had a bad fall on my steps and maybe this will dull some of the pain.

Houston, we had a problem from Jump Street - these oversize CANs tend to have their opening further back from the lip and it CAN and did lead to minor spillage. I had a MacBeth head, a brief finger of bone white head that strutted briefly upon the stage before it was Out, out brief head time. The color was a stunning sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Color is usually a strong suit among these types of beers, IMHO. Nose was strong, but not a strong suit. It smelled like bubble gum being chewed at the dry cleaning plant inside the local plastics factory. The dog was already beginning to bite and I had not even gotten in my first sip! Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a good deal of carbonation scrubbing away at my palate so that I would better appreciate the subtle nuances of such a beer. It is too bad that subtlety was not a strong suit, either. This was like a 10-lb. sledgehammer coming full force at my Brain Housing Group. It had a taste like apple cider gone slightly wrong, not quite apple jack, but no longer cider, either. I popped an Aleve and awaited the fireworks before I take my post-school day lay down before Wednesday night trivia. Ah, the dog is nippin' at me all over now! My flesh was being rent from my extremities as the dog decided to play with me before finishing me off. Speaking of finish, it was not too terribly bad. It had a lot of sweetness, which is unusual for the style, so maybe they have not worked the yeast to death yet. It also had a lot of odd flavors, like green apple and fusel alcohol.

I have drank enough of this style to know an "F" and this was not it, boys and girls. This was not totally unpleasant, Minhas-style, nor was it at the upper-end, like Double Colt 45, which I actually like and have shared in the alley behind my house with some of the night crawling denizens. This was somewhere in the middle, the Twilight Zone of AMLs, where dogs bark in the night but leave you semi-conscious to come back for another go-'round. Go ahead, bite me again, you beast! I dare you.

2.63/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a perfectly clear dark yellow colour with a small white head that disappears very quickly, leaving little behind despite the violent bubbling going on from what is probably artificial carbonation.
The smell is somehow simultaneously grainy, and intensely of apples. It smells tart and sweet. Very bizarre for a beer.
The taste is not as bad as I expected from the smell. It was certainly odd for a beer. It was tart and sweet. Not something I expect in a beer. It also tasted like it had some really cheap vodka poured right into it. Despite this, it was not bad. It didn't have any beeriness that I usually want in a beer. I'd rather have my beer taste like corn than fruit because at least corn is a grain. But this has an interestingly satisfying balance between the sweetness, tartness, and alcoholiness, despite the fact that tartness generally has no place in a beer. This makes it tough to rate, since it wasn't bad, just not what I'm usually looking for in a beer. We REALLY need a distinction between malt liquor and high gravity lager on Beer Advocate. The difference between the two is ever-growing. High gravity lagers are known for their odd tartness and fruitiness. Malt liquors are not. Any connoisseur of either style will know that.
More importantly, this thing got me totally fucked up...fast. That's what these brews are meant for and it was effective and very pleasant. Some of the even cheaper and even more alcoholic beverages are far less pleasant. They get me drunk, but not at all happy.
That strong alcohol, flavour: that I like. That bite is something I enjoy that reminds me I'm drinking a very alcoholic beverage. I'm not normally into macho shit, but that high alcohol bite is right up my ally. Some pussies taste it and say it tastes or smells like nail polish remover. But if you want to taste or smell nail polish remover in your booze, try out Flor de Cana rum from Nicaragua. It's not even bottom shelf, but it smells and tastes like it got a decent amount of acetone poured in for no good reason.
So, this one gets my approval. It's decent, which is above the curve on these "high gravity lagers."

Note: 24 hour terrible hangover the next day is not worth it. I have never had a worse hangover than after this beer.

2.56/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A. Sudsy piss yellow
S. Sweet syrupy corn
T. More nasty sweetness
M. Crazy carbonation, corn rind aftertaste
O. Didnt expect much else, had from gas station at pride parade in Dallas

2.53/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark clear gold in color. Lots of carbonation. Foamy white head that's gone in about a minutes time. Just a bit of lacing. Pretty average looking.

S - Very sweet with a hint of sour mildew. There a bit of a honey character as well. Alcohol is surprisingly toned down.

T - Sweet and a bit grainy. Still getting a honey sweetness only this time the alcohol is a lot more pronounced.

M - Full bodied mouth feel. A bit thick with mild carbonation despite that noticeable carbonation in the glass.

O - Eh. Whatever. I guess its alright.if you only have 5 dollars and want to get smashed then this is your beer. Other than that stay away.

2.46/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: It was poured from a 24oz can into a big mug. The label on the can lists the abv at 10%

Appearance: Dog Bite High Gravity Lager has a bright golden body with very good clarity and lots of visible carbonation. From the long pour I got a tall fluffy head that hung on longer than expected.

Smell: In the nose this one is big on corn cereal, raw grain and sweet syrupy corn.

Taste/Palate: The flavor matches its aroma plus it adds a slight over cooked vegetable undertone before finishing with some light earthy dry and bland hops.

Notes: Overall I am not a fan.

2.46/5  rDev +8.4%

Clear, straw-yellow with a white head. Good head retention. Aroma of alcohol and sour grain, but not unpleasant. Taste is winy, grainy, and slightly sweet. Viscous mouthfeel. Lingering bad aftertaste. Poured the rest down the drain.

This was an interesting tasting experience. This beer starts strong--nice appearance, acceptable aroma--and then it all falls apart.

2.43/5  rDev +7%

Huge thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this gem. Comes in a large, bright orange can.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. So far so good. Then as soon as you smell the beer you realize things are taking a turn for the worse. I get a lot of grain and grass notes with a little bit of orange mixed in. The flavor is more of the same with some grain and orange. Actually not bad for a malt liquor, but certainly not a good beer. The alcohol is very well hidden. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.