2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 107 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
ZenAgnostic

4.08/5  rDev +88%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

24oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - White seafoam head that disappears moderately quickly and violently. Clear, pale straw body with a bit of bubbling.

Smell - Malty sweet. Almost smells like dark, overripe fruit. Not bad for a cheap malt liquor. Has abbey ale qualities.

Taste - Strong. Sweet, alcoholic body. Astringent finish. Again, reminds me a lot of an abbey ale, is really surprising.

Mouthfeel - Astringent. Otherwise smooth and medium bodied.

Overall Drinkability - For it's style, really good. Doesn't even taste like a malt liquor. More an Abbey Lager, if there was a term for that. This review is probably my biggest rating deviation of any review I've made.

07-03-2011 02:32:52 | More by ZenAgnostic
industrialswill

Washington

Now this is a nasty lookin' MoFo...
Halloween coloered can with some graphics that look like what you'd see on a Heavy Metal album cover.
Just the name and the advertised ABV made this baby a "must have".
IIRC, it was $1.09 for the 24 oz can.
Pours out a typical gorgeous and glorious yellow.
Aroma...you can smell it from a good distance. I would describe it as a "floral tincture".
It tastes as it should, like a high ABV beverage made from barley malt and corn syrup.
I think it's quite good. This beer is one that would be worth packing back into the woods on a deer hunting expedition
I rate it as being "good" in all respects.

11-21-2011 23:44:56 | More by industrialswill
mainer88

Maine

3.75/5  rDev +72.8%

Let me preface this review by saying that I am sure all the previous reviewers know more about beer than I do. I just wanted to make a few comments anyway.

Dog Bite isn't some prissy, craft-brewed confection, it's B-E-E-R. And, it's way strong, which I like. So, it gets good marks. It's not going to excite connoisseurs, though.

Not that this is germane to the beer itself, but the can graphics are really cool.

This beer is an average American product, except for the higher alcohol content, hence the name "high gravity", presumably referring to high specific gravity in the finished product compared to other beers. As such, it does not deserve to be panned (nor lauded particularly).

The reason I reviewed this beer is to disagree with the "Avoid" rating. There is no reason to avoid it unless you are expecting more than you should from this beer. Come on, it's Genesee. Get real.

04-17-2011 15:41:10 | More by mainer88
keeganfrank

3.75/5  rDev +72.8%

Doesn't have that look of brown, soapy water that most malt liquor seems to have. Other than that, it's unremarkable in appearance. Smells extremely sweet and fruity, with some tart graininess also. Also very sweet and fruity upon tasting. Tastes a little like apple cider. A hint of the tart, earthy flavor associated with malt liquor is there. The slogan for this beer is something about it being a strong beer without a strong bite, and they nailed that. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm forced to drink malt liquor (or just want to get drunk really quick) I'll probably grab a few cans of this stuff.

05-19-2011 20:28:39 | More by keeganfrank
beerthulhu

3.28/5  rDev +51.2%

A: Pale lemon pour with a easy clarity revealing a heavy rapid effervesce of medium-dense macro-bubbles. A weakly holding bubbly, foamy head does little to impress and hold, leaving little in the way of window dressing (lace).

S: Fairly true to style, nose holds a light mixture of dried orange aroma and pale grains. Would of liked a bit more grainy flavor, yet was fairly clean with no off aromas, but still comes off average per style.

T: For flavor there was some graininess, a bit surprised with a touch of sweet cara-pils, orange honey and even a little bit of hops show up of herbal mentions. There is some alcohol but is well maintained for its 10%abv providing a gentle complimentary warming, Sweet gain base, some light corn-syrup, and a bit of herbal hops gives this something to think about.

M: High level of carbonation and bubbly activity. Fairly crisp with a medium resistance on the tongue. A bit maltier then your typical per style.

D: Served from a 24oz tall boy can. Amazing this is fairly easy to handle for a 10%abv drink, little if any heat, only a gentle warming in passing makes it feel several points lower.

Endnote: this is a American malt liquor and I judged it as so per style. Considering the competition and others per style this was fair to manage and not as bad as its overall rating may make it appear. Overall I feel this is worthy by style.

04-24-2011 16:47:27 | More by beerthulhu
shinerod

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

This is the first time that I've drunk Dog Bite since the alcohol content dropped from 10% to 8%. Quite frankly, I can't see why Genesee would do that. The taste is somewhat different now. Whereas the former (and in my opinion, better) version of Dog Bite was very sweet tasting, the new formula is more run-of-the-mill as far as an HG beer goes. I also don't get the grape-ish smell of old. It's still good, and well worth whatever small amount you'll pay, but it isn't the AxeHead type of skullcrusher it once was. R.I.P. to a great beer, and hello to a decent one.

11-06-2012 16:47:09 | More by shinerod
Spikester

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev +44.2%

Clear gold with a big white head. Lasts quite a while. Good amount of lacings.
Smell not much smell good or bad.
Taste is like regular Genny with a bit more body and sweetness. Hard to tell this is 8% abv.
Mouthfeel is average and carbonation is alright.
Overall if you like Genny lager you should give this a try. If only for a rating.

07-17-2013 05:48:58 | More by Spikester
jimmah120

3.08/5  rDev +41.9%

24oz can bought on a whim. sometimes i like to take a chance on hobo beer.

for what this is, it's not bad at all (just drink it cold). crisp malt liquor malts (read: bready and sweet) with a bitter kiss of *gasp* hops! it's has a little citrus before you get the semi-sickly sweet aftertaste, but not as bad as some others.

like i said, good for what it is. outclasses most others on the same shelf.

12-30-2013 22:52:33 | More by jimmah120
beergoot

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev +39.6%

Golden yellow body starting with a thick, white head that soon fades to a thin coating. Light grain aroma with a touch very light touch of hops. Taste follows the smell for the most part with a light touch of alcohol presence. Smooth and light feel, dry finish.

I saw this one next to the other regular low-cost, cheaply made beers near the checkout line. For a $1.59, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Not great by any means, but sure as hell beats the crap out of something like Olde English 800.

09-06-2013 22:48:13 | More by beergoot
womencantsail

look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can courtesy of Brad. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a clear orange yellow with a short lived white head.

S: Metal and corn with a big time vegetal aroma. Cooked grains and miscellaneous citrus peel with some strangely acidic apple juice notes to it. A touch of garbage, and maybe some food left in the garbage disposal without being flushed down the sink for a few days.

T: The flavor is pretty typical for a malt liquor. Really quite sweet with a big emphasis on corn and corn syrup. A touch of apple juice and interestingly enough, some banana.

M: Medium in body with a medium to lively carbonation.

O: The nose was just atrocious, but the flavor was actually pretty decent. If you're just looking for a buzz, this could work.

05-12-2011 05:55:36 | More by womencantsail
fx20736

2.96/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a 24 oz can several months ago from Wegman's.

poured from can into large pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: yellow gold with a white head, good lacing.

aroma: plenty of malt, some corn syrup sweetness, a touch of hops,

mouthfeel: listless,

taste: corn syrup, malt, slight mustiness.

notes: not much to say

11-20-2013 03:35:57 | More by fx20736
BrewMaven

2.95/5  rDev +35.9%

Found this while checking out a bev place I should go to more often..but that's another story.

A slightly reserved pour still kicks up a healthy head of white soapy bubbles..They didn't hang for long. The thin remaining cover did deposit some splotchy lace though.

Smells a bit sweet, a little solvent like with a touch of yeastiness..interesting.

Dare I sip a malt liquor? Nah, I think a manly mouthful is called for here..It brings initial sweetness along with a fairly biting carbonation and a definite alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is on the thick and slick side..seems to be the norm with these HG malt liquors.

This is one of the better of this genre based on it's drink-ability and, at a buck fifty for a 24oz can, even if it sucked it wouldn't hurt my conscience too much.

01-17-2012 23:35:59 | More by BrewMaven
jslice99

2.9/5  rDev +33.6%

Saw this at 7-11 one night and figured what the hell?

Appearance- Clear yellow color just like any other macr american lager. Had an off white head that vanished right away.

Smell- Smells of sweet corn and alcohol.

Taste- It has a taste of sweet corn adjunct but it's not as bad as i expected. Im also getting a weird bitter green apple taste for some reason. It tastes like a stronger macro american brew. For a cheap 10% beer it's not too bad.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is light and carbonated like any other american beer but with a higher alcohol finish but not too over powering.

Overall- This beer surprised me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Genesee brewing co. did a pretty good job with this for the style of this beer.

10-22-2012 05:54:12 | More by jslice99
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.88/5  rDev +32.7%

Dog Bite has a very thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with some bubbles streaming up and a surprisingly good amount of ragged lacing. The aroma is of dense corn husks and maybe other grains. Taste is a mixture of corn, corn husks, malted barley, and even a touch of hops. Sweetness and alcohol are strongly present across the sip. Dog Bite has a medium mouthfeel, and it finishes shockingly crisp and refreshing, but not clean, however. While I do not really like this barley-wine type beer, I thought it was sort of good and tasty, not awful and disgusting as I expected. However, it did go straight to my head and my 15-minute nap on the couch turned into an hour and a half knock out. I awoke feeling disoriented, somewhat queasy, and off kilter. Overall, this should be approached with trepidation. I think it does have some redeeming qualities, but I can’t, in good consciousness, recommend this.

RJT

10-01-2011 20:30:51 | More by RonaldTheriot
woodychandler

2.83/5  rDev +30.4%

Yay, another AML as part of The CANQuest (TM)! My local trade partner alerted me to its existence and I made it a point to seek it out. As you CAN tell from the picture, Cerberus guards this beer and if I am going to be dog bitten, it may as well be by one of the most famous dogs in mythology/literature. I recently had a bad fall on my steps and maybe this will dull some of the pain.

Houston, we had a problem from Jump Street - these oversize CANs tend to have their opening further back from the lip and it CAN and did lead to minor spillage. I had a MacBeth head, a brief finger of bone white head that strutted briefly upon the stage before it was Out, out brief head time. The color was a stunning sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Color is usually a strong suit among these types of beers, IMHO. Nose was strong, but not a strong suit. It smelled like bubble gum being chewed at the dry cleaning plant inside the local plastics factory. The dog was already beginning to bite and I had not even gotten in my first sip! Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a good deal of carbonation scrubbing away at my palate so that I would better appreciate the subtle nuances of such a beer. It is too bad that subtlety was not a strong suit, either. This was like a 10-lb. sledgehammer coming full force at my Brain Housing Group. It had a taste like apple cider gone slightly wrong, not quite apple jack, but no longer cider, either. I popped an Aleve and awaited the fireworks before I take my post-school day lay down before Wednesday night trivia. Ah, the dog is nippin' at me all over now! My flesh was being rent from my extremities as the dog decided to play with me before finishing me off. Speaking of finish, it was not too terribly bad. It had a lot of sweetness, which is unusual for the style, so maybe they have not worked the yeast to death yet. It also had a lot of odd flavors, like green apple and fusel alcohol.

I have drank enough of this style to know an "F" and this was not it, boys and girls. This was not totally unpleasant, Minhas-style, nor was it at the upper-end, like Double Colt 45, which I actually like and have shared in the alley behind my house with some of the night crawling denizens. This was somewhere in the middle, the Twilight Zone of AMLs, where dogs bark in the night but leave you semi-conscious to come back for another go-'round. Go ahead, bite me again, you beast! I dare you.

02-16-2011 21:38:00 | More by woodychandler
ElCommodoro

2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours a perfectly clear dark yellow colour with a small white head that disappears very quickly, leaving little behind despite the violent bubbling going on from what is probably artificial carbonation.
The smell is somehow simultaneously grainy, and intensely of apples. It smells tart and sweet. Very bizarre for a beer.
The taste is not as bad as I expected from the smell. It was certainly odd for a beer. It was tart and sweet. Not something I expect in a beer. It also tasted like it had some really cheap vodka poured right into it. Despite this, it was not bad. It didn't have any beeriness that I usually want in a beer. I'd rather have my beer taste like corn than fruit because at least corn is a grain. But this has an interestingly satisfying balance between the sweetness, tartness, and alcoholiness, despite the fact that tartness generally has no place in a beer. This makes it tough to rate, since it wasn't bad, just not what I'm usually looking for in a beer. We REALLY need a distinction between malt liquor and high gravity lager on Beer Advocate. The difference between the two is ever-growing. High gravity lagers are known for their odd tartness and fruitiness. Malt liquors are not. Any connoisseur of either style will know that.
More importantly, this thing got me totally fucked up...fast. That's what these brews are meant for and it was effective and very pleasant. Some of the even cheaper and even more alcoholic beverages are far less pleasant. They get me drunk, but not at all happy.
That strong alcohol, flavour: that I like. That bite is something I enjoy that reminds me I'm drinking a very alcoholic beverage. I'm not normally into macho shit, but that high alcohol bite is right up my ally. Some pussies taste it and say it tastes or smells like nail polish remover. But if you want to taste or smell nail polish remover in your booze, try out Flor de Cana rum from Nicaragua. It's not even bottom shelf, but it smells and tastes like it got a decent amount of acetone poured in for no good reason.
So, this one gets my approval. It's decent, which is above the curve on these "high gravity lagers."

Note: 24 hour terrible hangover the next day is not worth it. I have never had a worse hangover than after this beer.

07-09-2011 05:07:18 | More by ElCommodoro
depechemode1983

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark clear gold in color. Lots of carbonation. Foamy white head that's gone in about a minutes time. Just a bit of lacing. Pretty average looking.

S - Very sweet with a hint of sour mildew. There a bit of a honey character as well. Alcohol is surprisingly toned down.

T - Sweet and a bit grainy. Still getting a honey sweetness only this time the alcohol is a lot more pronounced.

M - Full bodied mouth feel. A bit thick with mild carbonation despite that noticeable carbonation in the glass.

O - Eh. Whatever. I guess its alright.if you only have 5 dollars and want to get smashed then this is your beer. Other than that stay away.

01-17-2012 22:42:04 | More by depechemode1983
Mora2000

2.42/5  rDev +11.5%

Huge thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this gem. Comes in a large, bright orange can.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. So far so good. Then as soon as you smell the beer you realize things are taking a turn for the worse. I get a lot of grain and grass notes with a little bit of orange mixed in. The flavor is more of the same with some grain and orange. Actually not bad for a malt liquor, but certainly not a good beer. The alcohol is very well hidden. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-24-2011 22:30:38 | More by Mora2000
powellmg

2.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Clear, straw-yellow with a white head. Good head retention. Aroma of alcohol and sour grain, but not unpleasant. Taste is winy, grainy, and slightly sweet. Viscous mouthfeel. Lingering bad aftertaste. Poured the rest down the drain.

This was an interesting tasting experience. This beer starts strong--nice appearance, acceptable aroma--and then it all falls apart.

03-01-2012 01:37:08 | More by powellmg
mactrail

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Label says it's "brewed and canned by Rock Wall Brewing Company, Rochester, NY." Which is Genesee Brewing, now known as North American Breweries. An intergalactic favorite.

Poured in a cheap wine glass, the color is a nice washed-out yellow with a fine head and enough carbonation to give a beery effect. Hot, thin, and dangerous. Makes your lips burn. Supply your own analogies with the female sex. Pretty clean flavor, just not much of it. For the purist: none of this tutti frutti flavoring nonsense. Though it might not be bad on Sunday morning 50/50 cut with fresh orange juice. Does make you think of it as a mixer. Dog Bite and Tonic.

Seems to be all about the money shot: plenty of alcohol. Makes you appreciate a good barley wine for all the malt, happy hops and complexity. Who knew? Thanks to Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga for bringing in this fine selection.

11-18-2010 04:05:00 | More by mactrail
Pegasus

2.3/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Clear, medium golden in color, with a massive, dense white head, over two inches in depth, with superb retention. Storms of small bubbles race to the surface, renewing the head. Thick tidemarks ring the glass walls.

Aroma: A strong punch of sweet and hot alcohols, vegetable notes, mustiness, and some slight metallic hops.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet alcohol at the opening of the taste. Alas, it does not improve from here. Interestingly enough, the alcohol is only slightly warming. Mixed with the alcohol is some cooked corn, and some late, faint hops to cut the sweetness. Finishes a little dry with some mild metallic bitterness at the back of the mouth.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, quite soft, despite the strong carbonation, there is no harshness.

Drinkability/notes: Well, it is malt liquor, it is cheap, and it is potent. At less than two dollars for a twenty-four ounce can, it is a decent value in its particular niche.

Presentation: Packaged in a bright orange twenty-four ounce aluminum can, graced by artwork depicting Cerberus, the three-headed guardian of the Underworld of Greek mythology. Served in a Pilsener glass.

This being my millennial review on BeerAdvocate, Dog Bite High Gravity Lager somehow seems appropriate.

06-25-2011 00:35:42 | More by Pegasus
baconsausage

Vermont

2.3/5  rDev +6%

"This has been sitting in my fridge for weeks. I have some time to kill today, so why not get it over with?"

+1 to this. And it is gotten over with quick. Nice yellow color, nice white head that leaves nice lacing down the sides of my nice glass. This is where the nice ends. Smells like an adjunct lager, tastes like an adjunct lager mixed with grain alcohol and sterno. Overly boozy and sweet. I drank more of the Jeremiah Weed Tea than I could of this three headed bitch. I spent more time reviewing it than drinking it. Good bye cruel world...

08-29-2011 22:33:43 | More by baconsausage
lwillitz

2.28/5  rDev +5.1%

24-oz can poured into a large mug

A - agressive pour yielded a big white foamy head; body is completely transparent straw yellow; loads of carbonation bubbles

S - typical corny adjunct smell; pungent fruit; strong alcohol presence

T - corn, same pungent fruits, alcohol; actually better than expected

M - syrupy; medium body with high carbonation

O - Not bad for a high gravity lager, but still tastes like it could take the paint off your car.

08-25-2011 23:51:38 | More by lwillitz
raszputini

2.25/5  rDev +3.7%

It doesn't get much swankier than this. Every once in awhile, I just want to get trashy for cheap, and that's exactly what this is designed for. It pours yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells sickly sweet, like a bar bathroom that has been vomited in. The taste isn't as horrible as the smell, and I can get acclimated to it. There is a boozy aftertaste, but what would you expect for a 10% tall boy for less than $1.50.

05-21-2012 04:40:57 | More by raszputini
vulgora

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

its a corny malt liquor pours like any other malt liquor ,
its punjent its strong , its a high gravity malt liqour and not one of the better ones its ok but hurricane, steel reserve, icehouse edge,old englishe and shlits vsl is better. even natty daddy is a bit better

but its worth it for the can and you get a buzz

still better than stack , and camo ice

its isnt the easiest to drink but its 8% and its cheap but i wont buy it for a long time

02-11-2014 06:56:52 | More by vulgora
Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.