Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010

Ratings: 121 | Reviews: 61

I really can't say much about this beer. It would be a waste of my time. The only reason I'm reviewing it is to warn people that this beer is so awful. I tried to be open minded about it as I am with all beers but this one was just nasty. I reviewed it on video over at my blog.

1.15/5  rDev -47.2%

Good Lord, this is awful. But I guess I'm obligated to say more.

Headless, clear golden yellow. Smells of syrupy corn and alcohol. Mouthfeel is initially bitter, but immediately gives way to heavy-handed, boozy sweetness. Some apple taste. Very nasty. No redeeming features. Over-sized 24 oz. can means twice as much suffering if you decide (?!) to stick it out. Pathetic effort.

Cheap, but you'd be better to put the money to bus fare or something. Drain pour. You've been warned.

1.26/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from a 24oz can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains alcohol, light malts, grain, adjuncts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a boozy sting of alcohol. Then some light malt sweetness comes in followed by mildly bready flavors of adjuncts and grain, but there isn’t much to temper the alcohol. The hops presence is very mild. The after-taste is likewise boozy.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

O: Not very flavorful, does not go down very easily, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, I understand that this is a beer designed to pack a big punch, but even for the style this beer overdoes it since there doesn’t seem to be anything at all to balance out the alcohol.

1.31/5  rDev -39.9%

I poured a 24 oz can of this into my big glass mug...

The liquid was piss-yellow, there was no head whatsoever.

I could only smell alcohol and sweet corn.

It's tastes sweet, malty, almost creamy, with more corn and alcohol.

This beer is thick, there is not much carbonation, and it's kind of warming due to the high abv.

I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

1.38/5  rDev -36.7%

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager is a bright yellow beer that's very clear and very sparkling. The thin white head fades to a blotch. It has a grain alcohol aroma, slightly sweet and corny. It smells like a drunk guy. It has a prickly medium body with a pretty dry finish. It leaves the tongue a touch syrupy. It tastes quite sweet and very corny. It tastes like corn on the cob dipped in paint thinner. It tastes much stronger than 10% ABV. There is a fusel aftertaste. Yow. This is like brawling fuel. I feel like I'm being hazed by drinking this. This could use some powdered koolaid and crushed caffeine pills to really show of the class of this fine beverage.

1.4/5  rDev -35.8%

1.5, overall, and i'm being 'generous' - as generous i can be considering that i got 'suckered' by the artsy graphics by the corporate brewer 'cloaked' by Rock Wall Brewing attribution v Genesee / North American Brewing actual'. 'Gravity' overcame my 50's era 'big family imprinting (finish everything you take) and this High Gravity 'craft cloaked' factory trash went in the toilet and DOWN the drain. Suckered by factory trash that SUCKS. Won't happen again, and, trust me on this, and don't let it happen to you. Na zdravi!

1.41/5  rDev -35.3%

This is the first day on here and I just have to review on this one. This is the most God awful beer I have ever had. My buddy and I are currently sitting drinking this and all we can do is make faces as we pathetically sip away at this monstrosity of a beer. You have been warned! Use your money on at least a Coors (I dislike Coors).

Appearance- Piss Yellow

Smell- indescribable but if I were to try to, think of apples

Taste- As soon as it hit my tongue I thought "I might like this" but then I became overwhelmed with the taste of what I thought was sludge.

Mouthfeel- I personally don't like very carbonated beers and this one very much that.

1.42/5  rDev -34.9%

A- Pours yellow with a full head that dissapears in pockets pretty quickly.

S- Smells sweet, slightly malty, corny- actually really corny as my nose gets into it.

T- Tastes slightly malty, but mostly just corny and sugary. It actually has some characteristics of a belgian strong ale with the sugary sweetness- pretty gross though in this form- almost sweeter than a soda.

M- Alcohol isn't too prevelant for 10%. Very syrupy.

O- Is this 24oz can worth the $1.20 I paid for it? I'm going to have to go with no.

1.48/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes you get what you buy. I don't know what I expected but what I got was a flashy can and a bad taste in my mouth. If you just wanna get drunk and can hold your nose than go for it.

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

24oz can bought at a gas station for $1.25. Poured some into a glass to see what it looked like.

Off yellow color.

Malts, corn, and booze.

Horrible. Sickeningly sweet.

Watery with slight fizz.

Fucking disgusting, horrible shit. I never waste beer and this got poured down the drain. There are many more cheap, strong/special brews that taste much better. Avoid.

1.58/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Really weak yellow color, good 1" head that quickly vanishes leaving no lace. Aroma was of aluminum and alcohol. Do they even line these cans? Tastes au natural, this is the can to drink if you're one of those BPA causeheads! Further searching yields a sweet creamed corn malt base underneath the aluminum and alcohol aroma.

Taste, eeegad, I'm glad I was able to pawn most of this off on others. Alcohol, thin body, corn, corn syrup and metal. Pretty gross, tastes just like the label looks (terrible). I think as you drink more of it, you become a little accustomed to its shittiness, and you start to hallucinate and think you can taste green apple, that the fusel alcohol like flavors burning your ear, nose and throat pavillion aren't really as harsh as they were at first. Desensitizing I guess, which oddly, is a good thing when the beer starts out this bad.

Even judging to style, this is on the low end of things. If you really want to punish your taste buds, let it warm up on a sunny day. Starts to drink like its 80 proof stuff.

1.59/5  rDev -27.1%

Bright orange tall boy poured into a pint glass and finished from the can after reconsidering. Recommended by a friend... heh. I'll try to be unbiased with the review.

Look- Crystal clear pale yellow with a reasonable head.

Smell- I get corn, sweet malt, something fruity, and a whiff of nail polish remover. Could double as sniffing salts. This is actually why I switched back to the can.

Taste- Corn syrup with a hint of hop bitters. Surprisingly non-bad, it doesn't have much going on, but the alcohol is more subdued than expected and it's not as terrible as the smell indicated. I didn't get the chemical taste others have commented on, just the metalic aftertaste you'd expect from most macrolagers.

Mouthfeel- Something like light syrup with more bite. Carbonation is nearly gone after the pour, but moderate out of the can. Once again, alcohol isn't as overt as expected.

Overall- Keep it in the can, if you must drink it. All I can really say is that it's incredibly cheap and will probably get you fairly intoxicated for less than the cost of lunch. Other than that, it's not a particularly pleasurable experience. +.5 to the brewers for hiding the alcohol.

1.6/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Almost a finger of head, and no lace to speak good things about. The color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells like boiled corn and some roasted malt, sweet malt. Taste is just this side of purgatory. Flavors of boiled sweet corn and malt. Mouthfeel is just this side of water, but leaves a parched feeling on my tongue and the back of my throat. One is more than enough for me. I would give it to a person who thinks he knows about good beer and watch his lip curl up.

1.74/5  rDev -20.2%

24-ounce orange colored can with a black depiction of Cerberus on it for less than $2? Yeah I just got to try it.

Clear gold colored beer with a small white colored head. It does look like beer.

Smells sweet and of corn with a strong apple scent and some eye stinging fusel alcohol. Strong solvent alcohol scent.

Dare I actually put this in my mouth? It does smell bad but simply isn't in the same class as Super Brew 15.

Starts out sweet with a strong apple taste. Tastes somewhat of rubbing alcohol. Strong metallic aftertaste. There is a melon taste here to go with the apple. Not totally undrinkable, but it isn't good.

Mouthfeel is present.

Overall it isn't good. I was able to get down 1/4 of a glass of this stuff. It is only recommended as an exploration of bad beer.

1.77/5  rDev -18.8%

24 oz orange can with a three-headed black dog silhouette...packaging is just screaming with class. $1.19 at some shithole gas station in Livingston, TX. Pours a clear, dark yellow color with a small cap of white head.

Nose is green apple, nail polish remover and alcohol. Not even some grainy malt or corn can rise above the various unpleasantries in the nose here. Ugh.

I am a believer in the mantra 'You have to experience the bad to appreciate the good'. This is a perfect example of it...stale grains soaked in watered down vodka with a few sour apple Jolly Ranchers thrown in for good measure. The taste is actually not quite as bad as the nose, which is horrendous, but half this 2x4 will probably go down the drain anyway. The alcohol is too big for its britches and the apple and acetone notes are very distracting. I will admit that it is decently drinkable for a 10% malt liquor...there are worse variants out there. Id still much prefer a 40 of OE to this, if I was fiendin for some malt licka.

1.81/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, StarRaptor!

A hugely carbonated, light golden-colored high-gravity lager. This can presents everything you hoped and feared it would be. Corn, miscellaneous grain, alcohol presence, and some aluminum combine to make...something hardly drinkable. A tick is a tick, but this won't be seeing my lips again.

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

I'm no stranger to the cheap brews. I get them frequently. And believe it or not, even as a high end craft brew drinker, I do enjoy some like Colt 45 (for what it is).

But this...It just sucks. It's got a rather bad taste to it, almost similar to Icehouse. It's 8%, and cheap, and has a cool can. That's about as much good as I can say of it. For a few cents more, get yourself something like a Hurricane or Four Loko. The flavor is just bad, no matter how you look at it. It smells like any other cheap High Grav, and possibly a bit worse. It looks just like you'd expect.

Unless you cannot find any other cheap 8% brews around, get something else. If it was still 10% like it used to be, there would at least be that as reason to get it. But with other 8%+ options, all for a few cents more (Or even less), there's really no reason to buy this. I got it on a whim, because I collect cans+bottles, and didn't have this one yet.

Your best bet with this is just to shotgun it, or have it after you've had a few. The flavor is bad.

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes, you just gotta say...what the f@#k.

That was my thought tonight as i gassed up at a local convenient store and saw this bright orange monstrosity staring back at me from behind the cooler.

I put down my 1.79 and took her home, poured half into my pint glass...and chuckled to myself.

Look was actually pretty typical of an American lager...dull yellow...medium head that faded quickly, and just a touch of lace as i drank. Kinda went downhill after that.

Ajunct corn smell...some syrupy malt, and rubbing alcohol. Well, it is 10% for Christ's sake.

Holy moly...this is some foul swill. Not much flavor at all...any initial malt is covered immediately by the rubbing alcohol booze. Not much carbonation...gets much, much worse as it warms. Pretty sour aftertaste only worsens with time. Unfortunately, it's hard to drink this one fast...but I won't drain pour it, no matter what my headache is telling me.

Yes, it's 10%...but if you want to get a cheap buzz on quickly without suffering, I suggest you skip this and stick to shots of vodka.

1.86/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the most foul glasses of swill I've ever had, but the cans are $1.49 locally and at 10%, two of them will easily drown away the memories of a shitty day.

Smells like rotting honey and tastes like a machine shop floor drain. Drink it ice cold and DO NOT let it get warm. It gets much worse.

1.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Serving, 24 oz can to pilsner... lemme try it straight from the can too. Nope, still bad. Gonna hafta wash this glass really well.

A - At first decent, poured clear yellow, almost like a nice lager, decent 1.5 finger head that went away almost instantly, still effervescent but that's about it.

S - Sweet corn, lots of alcohol

T - Booze and corn, kinda like drinking a handful of corn nuts soaked in rubbing alcohol. Corn nuts by the way are amazing! Not something i should be tasting in my beer though. I also agree with woodychandler, i do taste the green apple.

M - Thin, very bubbly, like spraying scrubbing bubbles in your mouth.

O - If i was still in college I'd go for this but it's been about 4 years... r. For $1.49 it's a cheap drunk, come to think about it... nope, still tastes like crap! If only the beer tasted as good as the can looks cool.

1.88/5  rDev -13.8%

This used to be 10.0% ABV. Not so impressive at the now 8.0% ABV. Boo to you Rock Wall Brewing Company (Genesee) for already diluting this circa 2011 beer in search of profits and pressure from the media in wake of the Four Loko flap.

A: No reason to pour this out of the can, but I did. Looks like orangey Coors Light.

S: Ugh. That super sub-premium smell as in Big Flats, Game Day, and Beer30. Strong caramel, metal, and banana. Maybe some oak, but that is interchangeable with banana.

T: Beer made from the finest dumpster water. Bitter, finishes sour. Carbonated water and pennies with a melted Werther's Original thrown in. No effort at uniqueness here.

M: Carbonated water. Super light.

O: I hate to bad mouth a malt liquor because I love the style but I have no respect to the reduction in ABV. This is drinkable but there are better options, MANY better options, in the 8% ABV high gravity malt liquor range.

To the brewer: Know your customers.

1.94/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours golden in color, well-carbonated, and with a half to three-quarter inches of light, fluffy, and rapidly dissipating white head that actually leaves a medium lacing down the glass. Any beer of this type that is as high as 10% is generally scary, so let's see how this one goes.

The aroma is a bit fruity, sweet, candy-like, cotton candy and a bit of circus peanuts candy. There is a slight bit of green apple. Now that is not a great aroma, but it is actually better than I expected. The taste is sweet and sour at the same time, reminiscent of the aroma, but does not cause one to gag. Seriously, for a cheap 10% beer, this is about as good as you can hope. Its praise is that it is not nauseating and remains barely drinkable.

1.96/5  rDev -10.1%

Puured a bit of the can into a mug, fast moving carbonation perpetually rising. Bright gold, utterly clear though on closer inspection there's tiny bits of suspended sediment, like when dust hits a sunbeam. White sudsy head, lasting retention and even some drippy lacing around the edges. Looks like your average industrial lager.

Smells very sweet like apple juice, slightly floral, with some light artificial plastic phenols behind it. Ham-fisted fusel alcohol, reeks of sweet cloying fumes.

Taste is also very sweet, some apple and pear notes, envelope glue, isopropryl sharpness. Messy and slick on the tongue. Astringency in this beer is awful. Gag inducing and foul, can't help but pull a face when drinking it. Trying to drink more that a third of the can is proving to be a real chore. A novelty beer for the can, the beer inside is cheap swill (not that it's advertised as anything but). $1.09 can.

2.01/5  rDev -7.8%

A golden color similar to miller, It doesn't look bad, with a one finger head but man does it smell awful. It smells like a bottle return. And it tastes like old "morning after party" kind of beer I don't like it I'm struggling trying to finish this glass so I can review my fat tire but I would not recommend this beer. It feels under carbonated in under 10 minutes and it makes me gag. Spend the extra 10 cents on something better.

2.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked a bright orange can of this garbage up while cruising back from NY. It poured a clear yellow color with one finger of white head that left scant lacing. The aroma was super boozy with adjuncts and pale malt behind that. The flavors were similar. I started it near ice cold and despite getting intoxicated it got worse as I drank it and it warmed up. Boozy, cheap and dangerous. Feels like a fistfight in a can. The body was medium, carbonation high and mouthfeel prickly.

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.