Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

poor

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010

2.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought this at my local Kwik Fill after getting out of work. Wanted to try something I haven't had before.
Appearance: Golden malt liquor color. Didn't actually know this was considered Malt Liquor by most people.
Smell: Smells like your average american adjunct brew.
Taste: Really isn't bad, but isn't necessarily amazing either. Pretty average and definitely tastes more like an ale for a high gravity brew. Disguises the alcohol well.
Feel: Decent carbonation, and again this one tastes and feels just like a typical lager/ale all the way through.
Overall: Anyone who takes a look at the can before buying knows that this is something that is going to get you buzzed quickly. And for that, you should already know.49 what you are getting into (especially when you are paying less than 2 dollars for 24 ounces). I thought that for the style and price, this was a decent brew. I wouldn't seek this one out, but when I am looking to get my buzz on, this would definitely be an option. I paid $1.49 for this. Considering Blue Moon is the next step above this, and that you would have to drink two BM's to achieve the same buzz, this gives you the best bang for your buck (a pint of Blue Moon in my area is $2.20). I was also happy to find out Genesee Brewing Co. based out of Rochester where I am from, made this and not some mainstream Maco company like Coors or Bud Light which amazingly dominates the market. Overall, read my review and decide for yourself if this is something you would want to spend your pennies on. To each his own, but I would drink this again if I intended to get a buzz and enjoy a decent brew. (1,620 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 24 fl oz can. Sampled on July 1, 2015.

Yellow pour. White head that fades.

Toasted biscuit, corn, and grassy hops on the nose.

Smoother than some malt liquors. Not cloying. A thin body.

The flavor has this strange vegetable oil character with the toasted biscuit and grassy hops. Not a headache-inducing malt liquor like so many of them can be for me. So that puts it in a slightly higher class IMO. (414 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +48.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Rock Wall Brewing Co. "Dog Bite High Gravity Lager"
24 oz. can, no freshness dating
$1.79 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Dog Bite is a surprisingly fruity malt liquor, delivering notes of apple and grape. It was so fruity in fact that I had to check the label to make sure it wasn't flavored. As to its being a "lager", yes it's lager yeast, but it's clearly fermented warm.

It appears in the glass like any other malt liquor with a deep golden body beneath a short head of white foam. The head retention is fairly good, and it actually leaves some really nice, although thin, lacing about the glass. It's somewhere between medium and medium-full in body, and just below standard carbonation at maybe 2.4 volumes CO2/liter which leaves it smooth across the palate.

The aroma is malty with the suggestion of fruit and a touch of alcohol.

Beyond the fruitiness there is alcohol, but it's not "hot", and there's also a note of sugary, almost mint (which may or may not be coming from hops) as well as a pleasant note of cereal and some floral character. It's not overly sweet though, especially for a malt liquor, and despite its limited bitterness it's still able to dry in the finish; and that's great because unlike many others in the category it doesn't build upon the palate.

Although I was initially surprised by the fruity component, it's not something negative within the style, and is actually pleasant. It gives it some character and charm. For fans of the style I'd say you have to check it out. (1,510 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes you get what you buy. I don't know what I expected but what I got was a flashy can and a bad taste in my mouth. If you just wanna get drunk and can hold your nose than go for it. (189 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

24 oz. can
Served in a Firestone Walker pils glass

A - It pours a crisp golden color that is devoid of any floating imperfections. The effervescent body continuously feeds a brilliant white cloud of foam that leaves traces of its presence down the side of the glass.

S - It has an initial sweet candy aroma. Upon further investigation I discover the scent of candied apple and some floral notes.

T - The taste begins sweet with some grain flavors. Then a floral taste crosses my palate. Then I get smacked with the alcohol. Then, as quickly as it came, the alcohol taste subsides leaving a clean, crisp finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation.

O - This beer starts out a little harsh. Once the 8% numbs my tongue it becomes rather easy to drink. It is an exemplary example of an underappreciated style. (811 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +23%

A little too sweet, good price for the quality. Anything is better than Bud or Coors, right? The aroma isn't bad. The name is catchy and reminiscent of upstate New York. I usually drink lager or ale warm, but this was ice cold. No way can I drink more than 4 oz. Just a bit too flavorful and I might gain weight. Italians make their beer and wines too sweet. (358 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -12.6%

A golden color similar to miller, It doesn't look bad, with a one finger head but man does it smell awful. It smells like a bottle return. And it tastes like old "morning after party" kind of beer I don't like it I'm struggling trying to finish this glass so I can review my fat tire but I would not recommend this beer. It feels under carbonated in under 10 minutes and it makes me gag. Spend the extra 10 cents on something better. (433 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.4%

I'm no stranger to the cheap brews. I get them frequently. And believe it or not, even as a high end craft brew drinker, I do enjoy some like Colt 45 (for what it is).

But this...It just sucks. It's got a rather bad taste to it, almost similar to Icehouse. It's 8%, and cheap, and has a cool can. That's about as much good as I can say of it. For a few cents more, get yourself something like a Hurricane or Four Loko. The flavor is just bad, no matter how you look at it. It smells like any other cheap High Grav, and possibly a bit worse. It looks just like you'd expect.

Unless you cannot find any other cheap 8% brews around, get something else. If it was still 10% like it used to be, there would at least be that as reason to get it. But with other 8%+ options, all for a few cents more (Or even less), there's really no reason to buy this. I got it on a whim, because I collect cans+bottles, and didn't have this one yet.

Your best bet with this is just to shotgun it, or have it after you've had a few. The flavor is bad. (1,033 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -5.2%

its a corny malt liquor pours like any other malt liquor ,
its punjent its strong , its a high gravity malt liqour and not one of the better ones its ok but hurricane, steel reserve, icehouse edge,old englishe and shlits vsl is better. even natty daddy is a bit better

but its worth it for the can and you get a buzz

still better than stack , and camo ice

its isnt the easiest to drink but its 8% and its cheap but i wont buy it for a long time (449 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

This used to be 10.0% ABV. Not so impressive at the now 8.0% ABV. Boo to you Rock Wall Brewing Company (Genesee) for already diluting this circa 2011 beer in search of profits and pressure from the media in wake of the Four Loko flap.

A: No reason to pour this out of the can, but I did. Looks like orangey Coors Light.

S: Ugh. That super sub-premium smell as in Big Flats, Game Day, and Beer30. Strong caramel, metal, and banana. Maybe some oak, but that is interchangeable with banana.

T: Beer made from the finest dumpster water. Bitter, finishes sour. Carbonated water and pennies with a melted Werther's Original thrown in. No effort at uniqueness here.

M: Carbonated water. Super light.

O: I hate to bad mouth a malt liquor because I love the style but I have no respect to the reduction in ABV. This is drinkable but there are better options, MANY better options, in the 8% ABV high gravity malt liquor range.

To the brewer: Know your customers. (961 characters)

24oz can bought on a whim. sometimes i like to take a chance on hobo beer.

for what this is, it's not bad at all (just drink it cold). crisp malt liquor malts (read: bready and sweet) with a bitter kiss of *gasp* hops! it's has a little citrus before you get the semi-sickly sweet aftertaste, but not as bad as some others.

like i said, good for what it is. outclasses most others on the same shelf. (401 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a 24 oz can several months ago from Wegman's.

poured from can into large pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: yellow gold with a white head, good lacing.

aroma: plenty of malt, some corn syrup sweetness, a touch of hops,

mouthfeel: listless,

taste: corn syrup, malt, slight mustiness.

notes: not much to say (330 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

24oz can poured into a snifter. Canned on Aug 26th 2013.

A: Pours a clear pale golden yellow with a dense white head. Not much visible carbonation. Leaves some decent lacing behind as the head slowly fades over the course of a minute or two.

S: Not a very pleasant aroma, corn dominates the aroma giving a heavy macro lager feel. Can catch a whiff of that higher ABV.

T: Malts add some breadiness and a fair amount of sweetness. Alcohol remains well hidden only giving you a bit of a cringe after swallowing. Best drink this one cold before the malts show their true colors.

M: Light to medium body with slightly low carbonation. Alcohol is a bit sharp. Finish lingers a bit with a stickiness from the malts.

Overall its a good value if you're looking to get drunk and willing to sacrifice some flavor. Don't think I'll be going back for another round though. (868 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -38.7%

This is the first day on here and I just have to review on this one. This is the most God awful beer I have ever had. My buddy and I are currently sitting drinking this and all we can do is make faces as we pathetically sip away at this monstrosity of a beer. You have been warned! Use your money on at least a Coors (I dislike Coors).

Appearance- Piss Yellow

Smell- indescribable but if I were to try to, think of apples

Taste- As soon as it hit my tongue I thought "I might like this" but then I became overwhelmed with the taste of what I thought was sludge.

Mouthfeel- I personally don't like very carbonated beers and this one very much that. (651 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: It was poured from a 24oz can into a big mug. The label on the can lists the abv at 10%

Appearance: Dog Bite High Gravity Lager has a bright golden body with very good clarity and lots of visible carbonation. From the long pour I got a tall fluffy head that hung on longer than expected.

Smell: In the nose this one is big on corn cereal, raw grain and sweet syrupy corn.

Taste/Palate: The flavor matches its aroma plus it adds a slight over cooked vegetable undertone before finishing with some light earthy dry and bland hops.

Notes: Overall I am not a fan. (581 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +31.7%

Golden yellow body starting with a thick, white head that soon fades to a thin coating. Light grain aroma with a touch very light touch of hops. Taste follows the smell for the most part with a light touch of alcohol presence. Smooth and light feel, dry finish.

I saw this one next to the other regular low-cost, cheaply made beers near the checkout line. For a $1.59, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Not great by any means, but sure as hell beats the crap out of something like Olde English 800. (536 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +36.5%

Clear gold with a big white head. Lasts quite a while. Good amount of lacings.
Smell not much smell good or bad.
Taste is like regular Genny with a bit more body and sweetness. Hard to tell this is 8% abv.
Mouthfeel is average and carbonation is alright.
Overall if you like Genny lager you should give this a try. If only for a rating. (338 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, StarRaptor!

A hugely carbonated, light golden-colored high-gravity lager. This can presents everything you hoped and feared it would be. Corn, miscellaneous grain, alcohol presence, and some aluminum combine to make...something hardly drinkable. A tick is a tick, but this won't be seeing my lips again. (343 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Really weak yellow color, good 1" head that quickly vanishes leaving no lace. Aroma was of aluminum and alcohol. Do they even line these cans? Tastes au natural, this is the can to drink if you're one of those BPA causeheads! Further searching yields a sweet creamed corn malt base underneath the aluminum and alcohol aroma.

Taste, eeegad, I'm glad I was able to pawn most of this off on others. Alcohol, thin body, corn, corn syrup and metal. Pretty gross, tastes just like the label looks (terrible). I think as you drink more of it, you become a little accustomed to its shittiness, and you start to hallucinate and think you can taste green apple, that the fusel alcohol like flavors burning your ear, nose and throat pavillion aren't really as harsh as they were at first. Desensitizing I guess, which oddly, is a good thing when the beer starts out this bad.

Even judging to style, this is on the low end of things. If you really want to punish your taste buds, let it warm up on a sunny day. Starts to drink like its 80 proof stuff. (1,043 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -50%

Good Lord, this is awful. But I guess I'm obligated to say more.

Headless, clear golden yellow. Smells of syrupy corn and alcohol. Mouthfeel is initially bitter, but immediately gives way to heavy-handed, boozy sweetness. Some apple taste. Very nasty. No redeeming features. Over-sized 24 oz. can means twice as much suffering if you decide (?!) to stick it out. Pathetic effort.

Cheap, but you'd be better to put the money to bus fare or something. Drain pour. You've been warned. (483 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +40.4%

This is the first time that I've drunk Dog Bite since the alcohol content dropped from 10% to 8%. Quite frankly, I can't see why Genesee would do that. The taste is somewhat different now. Whereas the former (and in my opinion, better) version of Dog Bite was very sweet tasting, the new formula is more run-of-the-mill as far as an HG beer goes. I also don't get the grape-ish smell of old. It's still good, and well worth whatever small amount you'll pay, but it isn't the AxeHead type of skullcrusher it once was. R.I.P. to a great beer, and hello to a decent one. (567 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +25.2%

Saw this at 7-11 one night and figured what the hell?

Appearance- Clear yellow color just like any other macr american lager. Had an off white head that vanished right away.

Smell- Smells of sweet corn and alcohol.

Taste- It has a taste of sweet corn adjunct but it's not as bad as i expected. Im also getting a weird bitter green apple taste for some reason. It tastes like a stronger macro american brew. For a cheap 10% beer it's not too bad.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is light and carbonated like any other american beer but with a higher alcohol finish but not too over powering.

Overall- This beer surprised me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Genesee brewing co. did a pretty good job with this for the style of this beer. (751 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the most foul glasses of swill I've ever had, but the cans are $1.49 locally and at 10%, two of them will easily drown away the memories of a shitty day.

Smells like rotting honey and tastes like a machine shop floor drain. Drink it ice cold and DO NOT let it get warm. It gets much worse. (298 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sometimes, you just gotta say...what the f@#k.

That was my thought tonight as i gassed up at a local convenient store and saw this bright orange monstrosity staring back at me from behind the cooler.

I put down my 1.79 and took her home, poured half into my pint glass...and chuckled to myself.

Look was actually pretty typical of an American lager...dull yellow...medium head that faded quickly, and just a touch of lace as i drank. Kinda went downhill after that.

Ajunct corn smell...some syrupy malt, and rubbing alcohol. Well, it is 10% for Christ's sake.

Holy moly...this is some foul swill. Not much flavor at all...any initial malt is covered immediately by the rubbing alcohol booze. Not much carbonation...gets much, much worse as it warms. Pretty sour aftertaste only worsens with time. Unfortunately, it's hard to drink this one fast...but I won't drain pour it, no matter what my headache is telling me.

Yes, it's 10%...but if you want to get a cheap buzz on quickly without suffering, I suggest you skip this and stick to shots of vodka. (1,057 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -3%

It doesn't get much swankier than this. Every once in awhile, I just want to get trashy for cheap, and that's exactly what this is designed for. It pours yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells sickly sweet, like a bar bathroom that has been vomited in. The taste isn't as horrible as the smell, and I can get acclimated to it. There is a boozy aftertaste, but what would you expect for a 10% tall boy for less than $1.50. (445 characters)

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.