Dog Bite High Gravity Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dog Bite High Gravity LagerDog Bite High Gravity Lager

awful

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 11-18-2010)
Mora2000

2.42/5  rDev +11.5%

Huge thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this gem. Comes in a large, bright orange can.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. So far so good. Then as soon as you smell the beer you realize things are taking a turn for the worse. I get a lot of grain and grass notes with a little bit of orange mixed in. The flavor is more of the same with some grain and orange. Actually not bad for a malt liquor, but certainly not a good beer. The alcohol is very well hidden. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-24-2011 22:30:38 | More by Mora2000
beerthulhu

3.28/5  rDev +51.2%

A: Pale lemon pour with a easy clarity revealing a heavy rapid effervesce of medium-dense macro-bubbles. A weakly holding bubbly, foamy head does little to impress and hold, leaving little in the way of window dressing (lace).

S: Fairly true to style, nose holds a light mixture of dried orange aroma and pale grains. Would of liked a bit more grainy flavor, yet was fairly clean with no off aromas, but still comes off average per style.

T: For flavor there was some graininess, a bit surprised with a touch of sweet cara-pils, orange honey and even a little bit of hops show up of herbal mentions. There is some alcohol but is well maintained for its 10%abv providing a gentle complimentary warming, Sweet gain base, some light corn-syrup, and a bit of herbal hops gives this something to think about.

M: High level of carbonation and bubbly activity. Fairly crisp with a medium resistance on the tongue. A bit maltier then your typical per style.

D: Served from a 24oz tall boy can. Amazing this is fairly easy to handle for a 10%abv drink, little if any heat, only a gentle warming in passing makes it feel several points lower.

Endnote: this is a American malt liquor and I judged it as so per style. Considering the competition and others per style this was fair to manage and not as bad as its overall rating may make it appear. Overall I feel this is worthy by style.

04-24-2011 16:47:27 | More by beerthulhu
mainer88

Maine

3.75/5  rDev +72.8%

Let me preface this review by saying that I am sure all the previous reviewers know more about beer than I do. I just wanted to make a few comments anyway.

Dog Bite isn't some prissy, craft-brewed confection, it's B-E-E-R. And, it's way strong, which I like. So, it gets good marks. It's not going to excite connoisseurs, though.

Not that this is germane to the beer itself, but the can graphics are really cool.

This beer is an average American product, except for the higher alcohol content, hence the name "high gravity", presumably referring to high specific gravity in the finished product compared to other beers. As such, it does not deserve to be panned (nor lauded particularly).

The reason I reviewed this beer is to disagree with the "Avoid" rating. There is no reason to avoid it unless you are expecting more than you should from this beer. Come on, it's Genesee. Get real.

04-17-2011 15:41:10 | More by mainer88
pezfiend

1.85/5  rDev -14.7%

Serving, 24 oz can to pilsner... lemme try it straight from the can too. Nope, still bad. Gonna hafta wash this glass really well.

A - At first decent, poured clear yellow, almost like a nice lager, decent 1.5 finger head that went away almost instantly, still effervescent but that's about it.

S - Sweet corn, lots of alcohol

T - Booze and corn, kinda like drinking a handful of corn nuts soaked in rubbing alcohol. Corn nuts by the way are amazing! Not something i should be tasting in my beer though. I also agree with woodychandler, i do taste the green apple.

M - Thin, very bubbly, like spraying scrubbing bubbles in your mouth.

O - If i was still in college I'd go for this but it's been about 4 years... r. For $1.49 it's a cheap drunk, come to think about it... nope, still tastes like crap! If only the beer tasted as good as the can looks cool.

03-28-2011 22:48:11 | More by pezfiend
Hoagie1973

2.05/5  rDev -5.5%

Imagine a bowl of frosted flakes with nail polish remover poured over them. That's this beer.
Seriously, that would be my whole review if I didn't have to come up with 250 characters.
Looks like any typical adjunct pilsner-style lager. Leaves a little stringy lacing (and that's the best thing about it).
Tastes sickeningly sweet and corny with a pronounced acetone quality. I don't even think they bothered adding hops to this; what would be the point?
Pretty much good for nothing but a cheap buzz, which is exactly what it's produced for, so I guess "mission accomplished!"
Kind of embarrassed that this comes from my home town brewery.

Even after everything above has been stated... I've had worse.

03-06-2011 20:19:42 | More by Hoagie1973
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.6/5  rDev -26.3%

Almost a finger of head, and no lace to speak good things about. The color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells like boiled corn and some roasted malt, sweet malt. Taste is just this side of purgatory. Flavors of boiled sweet corn and malt. Mouthfeel is just this side of water, but leaves a parched feeling on my tongue and the back of my throat. One is more than enough for me. I would give it to a person who thinks he knows about good beer and watch his lip curl up.

02-18-2011 21:07:53 | More by beerprovedwright
woodychandler

2.83/5  rDev +30.4%

Yay, another AML as part of The CANQuest (TM)! My local trade partner alerted me to its existence and I made it a point to seek it out. As you CAN tell from the picture, Cerberus guards this beer and if I am going to be dog bitten, it may as well be by one of the most famous dogs in mythology/literature. I recently had a bad fall on my steps and maybe this will dull some of the pain.

Houston, we had a problem from Jump Street - these oversize CANs tend to have their opening further back from the lip and it CAN and did lead to minor spillage. I had a MacBeth head, a brief finger of bone white head that strutted briefly upon the stage before it was Out, out brief head time. The color was a stunning sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Color is usually a strong suit among these types of beers, IMHO. Nose was strong, but not a strong suit. It smelled like bubble gum being chewed at the dry cleaning plant inside the local plastics factory. The dog was already beginning to bite and I had not even gotten in my first sip! Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a good deal of carbonation scrubbing away at my palate so that I would better appreciate the subtle nuances of such a beer. It is too bad that subtlety was not a strong suit, either. This was like a 10-lb. sledgehammer coming full force at my Brain Housing Group. It had a taste like apple cider gone slightly wrong, not quite apple jack, but no longer cider, either. I popped an Aleve and awaited the fireworks before I take my post-school day lay down before Wednesday night trivia. Ah, the dog is nippin' at me all over now! My flesh was being rent from my extremities as the dog decided to play with me before finishing me off. Speaking of finish, it was not too terribly bad. It had a lot of sweetness, which is unusual for the style, so maybe they have not worked the yeast to death yet. It also had a lot of odd flavors, like green apple and fusel alcohol.

I have drank enough of this style to know an "F" and this was not it, boys and girls. This was not totally unpleasant, Minhas-style, nor was it at the upper-end, like Double Colt 45, which I actually like and have shared in the alley behind my house with some of the night crawling denizens. This was somewhere in the middle, the Twilight Zone of AMLs, where dogs bark in the night but leave you semi-conscious to come back for another go-'round. Go ahead, bite me again, you beast! I dare you.

02-16-2011 21:38:00 | More by woodychandler
JMad

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%

I poured a 24 oz can of this into my big glass mug...

The liquid was piss-yellow, there was no head whatsoever.

I could only smell alcohol and sweet corn.

It's tastes sweet, malty, almost creamy, with more corn and alcohol.

This beer is thick, there is not much carbonation, and it's kind of warming due to the high abv.

I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

02-09-2011 21:08:40 | More by JMad
jsprain1

2.05/5  rDev -5.5%

A- Dark golden, thin white head. Actually a web of lacing stick to the glass.
S- Smell is quite sweet with a big alcohol kick.
T- Taste is a bit too much alcohol for anything else to shine.
M- Sonewhat cloying, until the alcohol makes your mouth forget anything else.
D- As a malt liquor it's not that bad, but there's just not enough to merit multiple purchases of this. Definitely does not hide the alcohol well.

01-31-2011 05:26:29 | More by jsprain1
tone77

2.1/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of corn. Taste is not very good, alcohol, plastic, a bit sweet, in a word, yuck. Feels light in the mouth with a slight alcohol burn and is not very drinkable. Overall this is a beer to be avoided.

01-30-2011 16:04:34 | More by tone77
yesyouam

1.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Dog Bite High Gravity Lager is a bright yellow beer that's very clear and very sparkling. The thin white head fades to a blotch. It has a grain alcohol aroma, slightly sweet and corny. It smells like a drunk guy. It has a prickly medium body with a pretty dry finish. It leaves the tongue a touch syrupy. It tastes quite sweet and very corny. It tastes like corn on the cob dipped in paint thinner. It tastes much stronger than 10% ABV. There is a fusel aftertaste. Yow. This is like brawling fuel. I feel like I'm being hazed by drinking this. This could use some powdered koolaid and crushed caffeine pills to really show of the class of this fine beverage.

12-28-2010 18:01:28 | More by yesyouam
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

I really can't say much about this beer. It would be a waste of my time. The only reason I'm reviewing it is to warn people that this beer is so awful. I tried to be open minded about it as I am with all beers but this one was just nasty. I reviewed it on video over at my blog.

11-27-2010 18:21:37 | More by Beerbuddha
generalnotsew

Tennessee

2.15/5  rDev -0.9%

The body is thicker and not as light as I expected. Could be due to the high abv but it certainly isn't as light as most macros. Actually got a really nice head to boot. Still your expected light watery yellow. Smell is extremely sweet. I actually kind of like it. Very sweet candied pineapple. Think DIPA that has lost it's hops. Eh. A bit too sweet for my tastes. A tad cloying. Reminds me a bit of Fruity Pebbles. Seems the best description. But hey at least it has flavor. Can't say the same for the aftertaste. It fades fast as hell. Mouthfeel is pretty week. Some hard carbonation up front then turns to water. Also it is hot as hell. For what it is it isn't terrible. Just a good cheap drunk. And it will surely do it more than any of malt liquor.

11-19-2010 04:26:57 | More by generalnotsew
mactrail

Washington

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Label says it's "brewed and canned by Rock Wall Brewing Company, Rochester, NY." Which is Genesee Brewing, now known as North American Breweries. An intergalactic favorite.

Poured in a cheap wine glass, the color is a nice washed-out yellow with a fine head and enough carbonation to give a beery effect. Hot, thin, and dangerous. Makes your lips burn. Supply your own analogies with the female sex. Pretty clean flavor, just not much of it. For the purist: none of this tutti frutti flavoring nonsense. Though it might not be bad on Sunday morning 50/50 cut with fresh orange juice. Does make you think of it as a mixer. Dog Bite and Tonic.

Seems to be all about the money shot: plenty of alcohol. Makes you appreciate a good barley wine for all the malt, happy hops and complexity. Who knew? Thanks to Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga for bringing in this fine selection.

11-18-2010 04:05:00 | More by mactrail
Dog Bite High Gravity Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.