2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,085 | Reviews: 636 | Show All Ratings:
dacrza1

4.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Generous two-finger pure white, frothy head sits on an effervescent honey-golden body head that simmers to a single finger... sweet honey scents couple with malts in a formidable yet inoffensive pairing that is somewhat distinctive... substantial palate, like an old-school lager, meant for weighty significance moreso than pure drinkability--and yet this could play both the serious actor as well as a party extra six-pack... versatile... malty in the back, honey up front, clove in the middle--the balance is unique and refreshing, like a liquid graham cracker (and I know that does NOT sound appetizing)... safe to say, this rating will well exceed the respect of the masses, but Dundee's Honey Brown was my first beer love and though I've seen many others since 1997, I keep coming back to the sweet maltiness that I drank--sometimes warm to ward away roommates--during those wonderful college days... this was the beer in hand when I innocently talked to my future wife for the first time in Bill Hess's Tavern's basement, the beer I carried in a backpack at Bloomsburg block parties, and still the treat on humid summer nights like this one, inexpensive and casually impressive... I'm biased, but we are allowed one guilty pleasure on this site, I hope--it IS beer, after all

06-29-2008 04:08:11 | More by dacrza1
rtrasr

Arkansas

4.31/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been awhile since I had this one. I have fond memories of it. Pours a beautiful golden brown. Smells of honeysuckle, the mouthful is like chewing toffee candy. This is one of the two honey beers where you can actually taste the honey. Taste is sweet malty, definitely satisfies the sweet tooth. Very drinkable beer. I am rating it higher than most but I like it.

12-07-2013 20:02:29 | More by rtrasr
CBOLAND17

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%

Despite the fact that this beer has a low rating, i think it really great. This is not at all a typical american lager like bud or coors. This beer has a mild sweet taste that is very smooth much like all lagers and an almost creamy aftertaste that will please any mouth. This is one of my favorite session lagers and i highly suggest it.

09-20-2010 18:47:18 | More by CBOLAND17
StoutyMcHaggis

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +36.7%

I've been loving me some browns lately, from Moose Drool to New Castle. I found this one in a six pack of bottles with only 4 left in it and I'm so glad I did. It's super-tasty and an excellent session beer(I could drink these for hours). The only downside was the smell, but I dont expect much from browns. This beer just proves that not all beers need a lot of alcohol to be great.

11-03-2007 22:08:05 | More by StoutyMcHaggis
mkholmes25

4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

The Honey Brown is a consistent smooth beer that will satisfy the average beer drinker, and should keep the beer snob moderately happy. It has a medium to light bodied brown ale taste with a semi-strong malty flavor (no doubt the honey). It is sweeter than most Lagers but not overbearing. If you do not mind a lager with a hint of sweetness, it will be a good choice. However, if a Yuengling is too sweet for you, stay away.

02-12-2011 05:45:17 | More by mkholmes25
imaguitargod

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

I've always enjoyed this beer and as far as I've found it's the best example of a honey beer. I recently had the pleasure of getting it on tap instead of the bottle. It was really amazing. The honey flavor was definitely more pronounced than in the bottle and it went down much smoother as well. I had it served in a pint and the head was reduced from what you generally get out of the bottle.

01-28-2008 21:06:26 | More by imaguitargod
SteelerNation

4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

I have a lot of loyalty to this brew since it is THE first "real" beer I was introduced to by a friend in college.

A: slightly better than a macro brew. sub par head and lacing.

S: malt and honey.

T: smooth honey and malt sweetness with faint hop bitterness.

M: a little watery. goes down smooth.

D: IMHO one of the most drinkable beers out there. I could (and have) down an entire case of this.

Not a craft brew or a beer snob's beer, but a solid brew for it's own reasons. A step-up brew for the beer drinker who usually sticks with BudMillerCoors but wants to try something different. If it weren't for this beer I wouldn't be writing this review.

Most people will criticize it for it's lack of complexity and character. That aside you absolutely cannot beat the drinkability of this beer.

02-14-2011 02:46:54 | More by SteelerNation
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium head on a lovely amber body. Smell was unremarkable, nothing to mention. However, the honey sweet taste and smoothness were excellent. Very easy to drink, with a nice aftertaste. Surprisingly good, despite it's overall grade here. I could drink this all day. Well done.

07-11-2008 20:24:57 | More by ibashmuck
MadTown1000

4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

And old favorite from college still good after all these years. The honey smell is apparent out of the bottle, think and sweet along with some caramel malt. Pours a, well, honey-colored amber with about 2 inches of head in a pint glass, which fairly quickly recedes down to about half an inch, leaving no lace, and then stays for a while. Flavor approximately matches the smell, with just a little bit of green grass in the aftertaste as well. Thicker than your average lager in its mouthfeel. Not a lot of obvious carbonation. Has a lot of the characteristics I'd ordinarily associate with a brown ale, but somewhat lighter. No hop bitterness to speak of, and goes down smooth. I like it as an interesting substitute for either a lager or a brown ale, and on top of that it's dirt cheap.

12-20-2009 23:42:40 | More by MadTown1000
mjrod2142

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

I loved this beer when I was younger, but haven't seen it around in a few years. When I saw it in my local store, I had to pick some up. Poured into a glass, the beer has a clear amber color with a small bubbly head. I picked up a light, malty-sweet aroma of honey and caramel.

The beer is a bit sweet with a hint of honey. It may catch some people off guard if they're expecting something richer and heavier after seeing the color. There is no hoppy bitterness and no nuttiness like you'd expect from a nut brown ale. This beer drinks very easy...almost like a Coors Light, but with sweet flavor. Not a terrible choice if you're looking for something cheap.

10-03-2010 20:28:01 | More by mjrod2142
TooManyShots

This is probably one of my favorite lagers at the moment. I have tried Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat, and I have to say this is a better brew with honey.
Nice mouthfeel. I could smell honey immediately after opening, but didn't taste it until the end of the drink. Very easy to drink, with a pleasant taste. The sweet taste this lager has is a nice treat.
Nothing too amazing, but a nice flavorful brew.

08-22-2011 20:33:16 | More by TooManyShots
tigg924

Served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: caramel in color with 1 inch head, clear, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: honey start with sugar coming in closely behind and toasted malt in the middle the finish is sweet honey

Mouthfeel: light body, high carbonation, sweet start with a less sweet middle and a super sweet end

Drinkability: I try to leave prejudice out of my reviews, but in full disclosure this was the beer I probably drunk the most of in my later years in college and my first years out out of it. Now I only have it every now and then. Still it is sentimental and is a favorite. I love the sweetness and refreshingness of this. I could easily drink a six of these--if not more. Of all the Dundee's beers this is by far my favorite. I think it drinks more like a sweet brown. If you like sweeter beers, hunt this down. The honey is about as present here as it is in any beer.

11-07-2011 14:41:27 | More by tigg924
shanny1981

Georgia

3.96/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed the smoothness of this beer. Enjoyable mouthfeel, easy to go down and great smell of roasted malts. It was not too sweet and not too bitter. You can expect the perfect balance between the two. This is the perfect dessert beer and also a great refreshing treat after a hard day of tending to the lawn in the hot summer sun. However, it does taste a little watered down. Definitely could use some more hops to it. The yeast flavors are lacking in this one if you like yeasty beers, but would definitely try again if caught on sale.

05-12-2013 00:40:13 | More by shanny1981
RockyTopHeel

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Poured from the tap a dark honey shade of golden with a foamy white head. This beer smelled and tasted sweet, with a nice richness and definite influence of honey in the flavor. It goes down easy, but like I said, it is pretty sweet. The finish is easy and soft, like it came out of a little plastic bear. Dundee's is very enjoyable, and very, very smooth. It's like the sweet tea of beers -- and that's a compliment.

09-07-2003 23:42:34 | More by RockyTopHeel
palffyfan

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Appearance - Dark yellow color with a great deal of carbonation. Above average head. Looks nice..

Smell - Smells like a macro, mostly corn. Can't smell the honey really.

Taste - Sweet overtones, very mild honey taste, great sweet aftertaste thats not too sweet. No bitterness at all, tastes fairly carbonated. No really strong definite tastes though.

Drinkability - Definetely drinkable, goes down like a cola. One of my favorite up and coming beers

03-05-2006 02:35:23 | More by palffyfan
shohog

Oklahoma

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Amazing clear honey color and a sweet smell. Taste was unexpectedly pleasant. I had never tried this lager before and was very pleased. It was so easy to drink. This is a great beer to have 6 or more of in a hurry. A classic "lawn mower" beer. I will most definetly be stocking up some more of these come summertime. It is so much better than BMC. I was not expecting to like this beer and mistakenly thinking it would be like most other lagers by BMC lacking taste.

I'll be bock!!

01-23-2009 06:03:56 | More by shohog
Whiteweasel

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Drank from a bottle, so I'm putting the appearance at a 3 since I can't judge it objectively.

Smell: Sweet, malty and very sugary

Taste: Dominant taste is maltiness with a lingering sweet honey flavour. Yeasty in a minor way with low bitterness

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, yet smooth consistancy. Solidly sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability: Pleasant and not too heavy. High marks

03-24-2010 04:56:16 | More by Whiteweasel
Strand

North Dakota

3.93/5  rDev +26.4%

Here's a pretty good domestic beer. It's fairly comparable to Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, but it has more honey flavor than Leinie's, and it's a bit darker. I'd give this beer to somebody who's looking for an alternative to their mainstay American lager.

03-12-2009 13:02:13 | More by Strand
Jarod

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

This is an OK beer. The only problem is that there is a taste difference between cases. One case and this is a good beer. Smooth, slight honey flavor, small head, but good color. Refreshing. The next case and it is hard to swallow. Slight bite to it, no honey flavor and a non-existent head, and kind of hard to swallow. But I can say that generally the experience has been good with this beer. So I let a few bad batches slide by. I do recommend this beer to friends that want to try to get awat from the norm.

10-24-2002 13:29:20 | More by Jarod
neenerzig

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Drank a bottle of this at a family gathering earlier today. Poured into a pint glass. A good summertime BBQ beer indeed! This beer pours a clear light brown/amber gold color with a white fluffy head about a finger and a half thick that settles to a pretty decent white surface layer. Pretty good lacing too. Has a sweet, malty aroma with some honey present. Tastes pretty much the same as it smells, malty sweet with some honey notes and rounded out by a touch of hops. Not the most complex taste, but overall enjoyable. Has a crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation. Easy to drink and quite enjoyable in the hot July weather.

Eric

07-09-2007 04:08:34 | More by neenerzig
matty

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Honey colored beer with sweet fresh aroma.Taste is biscuit followed by a sweet honey.Minimal carbonation and very smooth from top to bottom of bottle.This has been one of my favorites when I was younger and I still enjoy it.Got this as part of an assorted JW Dundee craft pack for 20.00 a good buy!!!

11-08-2007 02:57:32 | More by matty
maxave88

3.88/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It had a golden red color with a head that was not very think and quickly disappeared. In this aspect I was not very impressed; I like a good head. There was not a strong smell but it was slightly sweet. I however thought it was pretty tasty for a lighter beer. My girlfriend who usually sticks to the yellow fizzy beers, such as bud light, actually enjoyed this one. The taste was not very strong and somewhat sweet, which is expected from a honey beer. If you are in to an strong hoppy flavor, this beer isn't for you, however it is a lager. This beer is light and very drinkable; something you might want if entertaining non-advocates of good, bold, strong beer. I like most types of beer and enjoyed this one for an easy drinking, sweet, lager. All in all this is one I would try if trying to get someone away from drinking mass-produced "economy" beer, and trying to expand their horizons beyond bud, coors, or miller into more distinct beers.

12-27-2010 00:27:47 | More by maxave88
John

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%

Those looking for the typical brown ale will likely be dissappointed. I don't think it's intended to be interpreted as such. However, as an honey brown lager it does well in a pinch and is a decent beer. A good introductory craft brew.

10-12-2001 13:20:30 | More by John
nrpellegrini

Maryland

My favorite beer.

One of the smoothest beers I've had.
Definitely taste the honey but not overpowering.
No bad aftertaste or initial bite.

The money shouldn't matter but this is a steal, not a reason its my favorite but at $9 for a 12 pack, thats just awesome.

01-11-2008 00:26:58 | More by nrpellegrini
oluap

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%

Great beer! Golden light brown. Sweet malty husk notes hit the palate with moderate carbonation. Honey coats the palate during the after taste and lingers for 15 seconds. Def. a great session beer! Its def. a step above the macros! Perfer it straight from the bottle and or on tap. p.s. rochester NY baby!

10-09-2009 04:13:21 | More by oluap
Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.