Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

04-22-2012 02:05:44 | More by

Wisconsin

06-06-2014 20:36:14 | More by jjhardy12
dacrza1

4.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Generous two-finger pure white, frothy head sits on an effervescent honey-golden body head that simmers to a single finger... sweet honey scents couple with malts in a formidable yet inoffensive pairing that is somewhat distinctive... substantial palate, like an old-school lager, meant for weighty significance moreso than pure drinkability--and yet this could play both the serious actor as well as a party extra six-pack... versatile... malty in the back, honey up front, clove in the middle--the balance is unique and refreshing, like a liquid graham cracker (and I know that does NOT sound appetizing)... safe to say, this rating will well exceed the respect of the masses, but Dundee's Honey Brown was my first beer love and though I've seen many others since 1997, I keep coming back to the sweet maltiness that I drank--sometimes warm to ward away roommates--during those wonderful college days... this was the beer in hand when I innocently talked to my future wife for the first time in Bill Hess's Tavern's basement, the beer I carried in a backpack at Bloomsburg block parties, and still the treat on humid summer nights like this one, inexpensive and casually impressive... I'm biased, but we are allowed one guilty pleasure on this site, I hope--it IS beer, after all

06-29-2008 04:08:11 | More by dacrza1
rtrasr

Arkansas

4.31/5  rDev +38.6%

It has been awhile since I had this one. I have fond memories of it. Pours a beautiful golden brown. Smells of honeysuckle, the mouthful is like chewing toffee candy. This is one of the two honey beers where you can actually taste the honey. Taste is sweet malty, definitely satisfies the sweet tooth. Very drinkable beer. I am rating it higher than most but I like it.

12-07-2013 20:02:29 | More by rtrasr
CBOLAND17

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%

Despite the fact that this beer has a low rating, i think it really great. This is not at all a typical american lager like bud or coors. This beer has a mild sweet taste that is very smooth much like all lagers and an almost creamy aftertaste that will please any mouth. This is one of my favorite session lagers and i highly suggest it.

09-20-2010 18:47:18 | More by CBOLAND17
StoutyMcHaggis

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +36.7%

I've been loving me some browns lately, from Moose Drool to New Castle. I found this one in a six pack of bottles with only 4 left in it and I'm so glad I did. It's super-tasty and an excellent session beer(I could drink these for hours). The only downside was the smell, but I dont expect much from browns. This beer just proves that not all beers need a lot of alcohol to be great.

11-03-2007 22:08:05 | More by StoutyMcHaggis

Hawaii

09-08-2012 01:40:58 | More by Freshlikeugh
mkholmes25

4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

The Honey Brown is a consistent smooth beer that will satisfy the average beer drinker, and should keep the beer snob moderately happy. It has a medium to light bodied brown ale taste with a semi-strong malty flavor (no doubt the honey). It is sweeter than most Lagers but not overbearing. If you do not mind a lager with a hint of sweetness, it will be a good choice. However, if a Yuengling is too sweet for you, stay away.

02-12-2011 05:45:17 | More by mkholmes25
imaguitargod

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

I've always enjoyed this beer and as far as I've found it's the best example of a honey beer. I recently had the pleasure of getting it on tap instead of the bottle. It was really amazing. The honey flavor was definitely more pronounced than in the bottle and it went down much smoother as well. I had it served in a pint and the head was reduced from what you generally get out of the bottle.

01-28-2008 21:06:26 | More by imaguitargod
SteelerNation

4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

I have a lot of loyalty to this brew since it is THE first "real" beer I was introduced to by a friend in college.

A: slightly better than a macro brew. sub par head and lacing.

S: malt and honey.

T: smooth honey and malt sweetness with faint hop bitterness.

M: a little watery. goes down smooth.

D: IMHO one of the most drinkable beers out there. I could (and have) down an entire case of this.

Not a craft brew or a beer snob's beer, but a solid brew for it's own reasons. A step-up brew for the beer drinker who usually sticks with BudMillerCoors but wants to try something different. If it weren't for this beer I wouldn't be writing this review.

Most people will criticize it for it's lack of complexity and character. That aside you absolutely cannot beat the drinkability of this beer.

02-14-2011 02:46:54 | More by SteelerNation
MadTown1000

4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

And old favorite from college still good after all these years. The honey smell is apparent out of the bottle, think and sweet along with some caramel malt. Pours a, well, honey-colored amber with about 2 inches of head in a pint glass, which fairly quickly recedes down to about half an inch, leaving no lace, and then stays for a while. Flavor approximately matches the smell, with just a little bit of green grass in the aftertaste as well. Thicker than your average lager in its mouthfeel. Not a lot of obvious carbonation. Has a lot of the characteristics I'd ordinarily associate with a brown ale, but somewhat lighter. No hop bitterness to speak of, and goes down smooth. I like it as an interesting substitute for either a lager or a brown ale, and on top of that it's dirt cheap.

12-20-2009 23:42:40 | More by MadTown1000
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium head on a lovely amber body. Smell was unremarkable, nothing to mention. However, the honey sweet taste and smoothness were excellent. Very easy to drink, with a nice aftertaste. Surprisingly good, despite it's overall grade here. I could drink this all day. Well done.

07-11-2008 20:24:57 | More by ibashmuck
tigg924

Served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: caramel in color with 1 inch head, clear, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: honey start with sugar coming in closely behind and toasted malt in the middle the finish is sweet honey

Mouthfeel: light body, high carbonation, sweet start with a less sweet middle and a super sweet end

Drinkability: I try to leave prejudice out of my reviews, but in full disclosure this was the beer I probably drunk the most of in my later years in college and my first years out out of it. Now I only have it every now and then. Still it is sentimental and is a favorite. I love the sweetness and refreshingness of this. I could easily drink a six of these--if not more. Of all the Dundee's beers this is by far my favorite. I think it drinks more like a sweet brown. If you like sweeter beers, hunt this down. The honey is about as present here as it is in any beer.

11-07-2011 14:41:27 | More by tigg924
genovm

12-15-2012 03:59:26 | More by genovm
Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.