Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.75/5  rDev +52.7%

4.53/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Generous two-finger pure white, frothy head sits on an effervescent honey-golden body head that simmers to a single finger... sweet honey scents couple with malts in a formidable yet inoffensive pairing that is somewhat distinctive... substantial palate, like an old-school lager, meant for weighty significance moreso than pure drinkability--and yet this could play both the serious actor as well as a party extra six-pack... versatile... malty in the back, honey up front, clove in the middle--the balance is unique and refreshing, like a liquid graham cracker (and I know that does NOT sound appetizing)... safe to say, this rating will well exceed the respect of the masses, but Dundee's Honey Brown was my first beer love and though I've seen many others since 1997, I keep coming back to the sweet maltiness that I drank--sometimes warm to ward away roommates--during those wonderful college days... this was the beer in hand when I innocently talked to my future wife for the first time in Bill Hess's Tavern's basement, the beer I carried in a backpack at Bloomsburg block parties, and still the treat on humid summer nights like this one, inexpensive and casually impressive... I'm biased, but we are allowed one guilty pleasure on this site, I hope--it IS beer, after all

4.31/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been awhile since I had this one. I have fond memories of it. Pours a beautiful golden brown. Smells of honeysuckle, the mouthful is like chewing toffee candy. This is one of the two honey beers where you can actually taste the honey. Taste is sweet malty, definitely satisfies the sweet tooth. Very drinkable beer. I am rating it higher than most but I like it.

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%

Despite the fact that this beer has a low rating, i think it really great. This is not at all a typical american lager like bud or coors. This beer has a mild sweet taste that is very smooth much like all lagers and an almost creamy aftertaste that will please any mouth. This is one of my favorite session lagers and i highly suggest it.

4.25/5  rDev +36.7%

I've been loving me some browns lately, from Moose Drool to New Castle. I found this one in a six pack of bottles with only 4 left in it and I'm so glad I did. It's super-tasty and an excellent session beer(I could drink these for hours). The only downside was the smell, but I dont expect much from browns. This beer just proves that not all beers need a lot of alcohol to be great.

4.2/5  rDev +35%

4.2/5  rDev +35%

4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

The Honey Brown is a consistent smooth beer that will satisfy the average beer drinker, and should keep the beer snob moderately happy. It has a medium to light bodied brown ale taste with a semi-strong malty flavor (no doubt the honey). It is sweeter than most Lagers but not overbearing. If you do not mind a lager with a hint of sweetness, it will be a good choice. However, if a Yuengling is too sweet for you, stay away.

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

I've always enjoyed this beer and as far as I've found it's the best example of a honey beer. I recently had the pleasure of getting it on tap instead of the bottle. It was really amazing. The honey flavor was definitely more pronounced than in the bottle and it went down much smoother as well. I had it served in a pint and the head was reduced from what you generally get out of the bottle.

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.