Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros

1.01/5  rDev -67.5%

1.02/5  rDev -67.2%

I really hate this beer. The honey flavor puts me off right from the start. I never understood why this beer was so popular when it first starting getting hit the shelves in PA. If ICE cold it is still bad but gets way worse as it warms up. I can barely choke one bottle down.

1.25/5  rDev -59.8%

1.53/5  rDev -50.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Promising pouring, nice color. Aroma was kind of odd ... Like someone sprayed a shot of cheap perfume on top of a lager.

The sweetness wasn't as off-putting as the greasy, tongue-coating mouthfeel ... Feels like I need to grab my tongue-scraper to get the taste out of my mouth. Actually, that's what I'm going to do as soon as soon as I get done drain-pouring almost a full glass. I could only stand four sips of this.

Review in a nutshell:

I like honey.
I like beer.
I do NOT like honey-flavored beer.

1.65/5  rDev -46.9%

Last weekend fellow BA Das Freak showed up with the Dundee craft pack sampler. After tasting the PA,IPA,Porter and Pale Bock Lager I thought we had stumbled onto something above average, then came the Honey Brown Lager. At first I thought it had a funky after taste but it doesn't wait until after. When my dog broke wind I thought I was at a beer pairing in hell. Sorry for the negativity but if I can save one BA from this fate it will have been worth it.

1.7/5  rDev -45.3%

I notice the label now says "Honey Flavored Lager." Flavored? As in "not actually brewed with?" As in "No bees went hungry so you can drink this stuff?" Because there’s very much of a honey "flavor," almost an artificial one, and not much beer flavor. Odd little whiskey and honey note appears midway through, but the sickly honey smell is off-putting. Like I sometimes say, it’s not bad, it’s just not beer! I just can't figure out why this is so widely distributed. Seems to be available nationwide; or at least as far west as Illinois.

1.7/5  rDev -45.3%

Clear amber color with a generous white head and suprisingly wonderful lace.Mildly sweet to the nose with a thin malt aroma. Finishes clean and crisp with some dryness. To me it tasted like watered down Sprite. A little overboard with the sweetness is and tastes processed. Not an enjoyable beer.

1.73/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a pale not-at-all-brown with a decent head. Honey sweet and slightly malty smell. Buh, the sweetness is way too much. It's not a natural honey flavor, i.e. Dogfish Midas Touch, either. Just sickly sweet with barely any beer taste. Really horrible syrupy mouthfeel. I couldn't finish my pint.

Photo of
1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

This beer makes me sick. Maybe I just don't like honey beers. It's light wood color with thick large bubbled head. Smell is of a touch of sweetness with almost a bread smell. Mouthfeel is fizzy and mouthcoating. Not very sweet, but its the kind of sweet that makes you gag. I can never finish one of these.

1.83/5  rDev -41.2%

Part of a Craft Beer of America pack, bought in the UK.

This was by far the worst beer in the JW Dundee's selection I have had. Poured into a Berliner Kindl straight glass, it looked sad, light brown and sickly.

The smell was of off honey.

It was a mish-mash of half flavours and nothingness, very disappointing, I just couldn't find a good point.

I do not know what the brewer is trying to do here, whatever it is, he has failed to impress me.

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.