Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
jmbraxton

Connecticut

02-19-2012 00:52:33 | More by jfcaa193
bmills1608

1.02/5  rDev -67.1%

I really hate this beer. The honey flavor puts me off right from the start. I never understood why this beer was so popular when it first starting getting hit the shelves in PA. If ICE cold it is still bad but gets way worse as it warms up. I can barely choke one bottle down.

02-26-2002 16:53:24 | More by bmills1608

jsboates

03-11-2012 18:53:30 | More by jsboates
GeoJ

1.53/5  rDev -50.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Promising pouring, nice color. Aroma was kind of odd ... Like someone sprayed a shot of cheap perfume on top of a lager.

The sweetness wasn't as off-putting as the greasy, tongue-coating mouthfeel ... Feels like I need to grab my tongue-scraper to get the taste out of my mouth. Actually, that's what I'm going to do as soon as soon as I get done drain-pouring almost a full glass. I could only stand four sips of this.

Review in a nutshell:

I like honey.
I like beer.
I do NOT like honey-flavored beer.

03-31-2011 01:36:02 | More by GeoJ
Teeter

1.65/5  rDev -46.8%

Last weekend fellow BA Das Freak showed up with the Dundee craft pack sampler. After tasting the PA,IPA,Porter and Pale Bock Lager I thought we had stumbled onto something above average, then came the Honey Brown Lager. At first I thought it had a funky after taste but it doesn't wait until after. When my dog broke wind I thought I was at a beer pairing in hell. Sorry for the negativity but if I can save one BA from this fate it will have been worth it.

04-03-2009 16:39:13 | More by Teeter
DrunkMcDermott

1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

I notice the label now says "Honey Flavored Lager." Flavored? As in "not actually brewed with?" As in "No bees went hungry so you can drink this stuff?" Because there’s very much of a honey "flavor," almost an artificial one, and not much beer flavor. Odd little whiskey and honey note appears midway through, but the sickly honey smell is off-putting. Like I sometimes say, it’s not bad, it’s just not beer! I just can't figure out why this is so widely distributed. Seems to be available nationwide; or at least as far west as Illinois.

07-15-2005 14:32:13 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Lupe

1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

Clear amber color with a generous white head and suprisingly wonderful lace.Mildly sweet to the nose with a thin malt aroma. Finishes clean and crisp with some dryness. To me it tasted like watered down Sprite. A little overboard with the sweetness is and tastes processed. Not an enjoyable beer.

08-16-2002 09:11:40 | More by Lupe
thechaacster

1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours a pale not-at-all-brown with a decent head. Honey sweet and slightly malty smell. Buh, the sweetness is way too much. It's not a natural honey flavor, i.e. Dogfish Midas Touch, either. Just sickly sweet with barely any beer taste. Really horrible syrupy mouthfeel. I couldn't finish my pint.

08-08-2005 04:57:17 | More by thechaacster
campfirebrew

08-12-2014 19:34:17 | More by campfirebrew
Photo of

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

02-20-2013 03:23:45 | More by
Punkrckr281

Wisconsin

05-29-2012 17:58:21 | More by Punkrckr281
psugrad98

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

This beer makes me sick. Maybe I just don't like honey beers. It's light wood color with thick large bubbled head. Smell is of a touch of sweetness with almost a bread smell. Mouthfeel is fizzy and mouthcoating. Not very sweet, but its the kind of sweet that makes you gag. I can never finish one of these.

05-30-2002 11:46:41 | More by psugrad98

11-12-2012 04:20:14 | More by Kpitevl
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.83/5  rDev -41%

Part of a Craft Beer of America pack, bought in the UK.

This was by far the worst beer in the JW Dundee's selection I have had. Poured into a Berliner Kindl straight glass, it looked sad, light brown and sickly.

The smell was of off honey.

It was a mish-mash of half flavours and nothingness, very disappointing, I just couldn't find a good point.

I do not know what the brewer is trying to do here, whatever it is, he has failed to impress me.

09-11-2006 21:10:12 | More by BlackHaddock
davor45

1.83/5  rDev -41%

It is one of the flattest beers of its type. I suppose you have to develop a taste for it.
To say it has a watered down taste is an understatement. However, this is a beer that
you either like or you don’t like. My guess is that the more different beers you have tasted, the less you will like Honey Brown lager.

03-10-2006 22:58:45 | More by davor45
PBRstreetgang

1.85/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours an ultra-clear light golden color. Fizzy two finger head dissapears quickly but leaves fair lacing. Massive amount of fast-moving carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Honey-ish and light malt aromas, pretty clean. Pale malt sweetness, and a nutra-sweet fake honey taste. Hops attempt to make an impact on aftertaste, but there is almost no bittter in this unblanced and off-sweet brew. Light body and champagne-like carbonation prevents the off-flavors from turning slick, but the finish is residual with artificial sweetness, and the resulting drinkability is low.

01-19-2006 06:43:05 | More by PBRstreetgang
KarlHungus

1.88/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer pours a clear yellow-green color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparce lacing. The aroma is of sweet biscuits, and caramel malt. It is a very generic aroma, and very faint as well. The taste is even lighter than the aroma. I keep sipping hoping I will find something, but all I can detect is a light caramel note in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied, but a little thicker than I would expect from a beer with such little taste and aroma. Overall, I am insulted by this beer. It calls itself "Honey Brown," however, it has no honey in the flavor profile, and it is certainly not brown. I guess the brewers assume I am too stupid to know what honey tastes like, or what brown looks like. Anyway, I assuredly will not drink this beer again.

10-03-2007 20:40:56 | More by KarlHungus
Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.