Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

Appearance - Dark yellow color with a great deal of carbonation. Above average head. Looks nice..

Smell - Smells like a macro, mostly corn. Can't smell the honey really.

Taste - Sweet overtones, very mild honey taste, great sweet aftertaste thats not too sweet. No bitterness at all, tastes fairly carbonated. No really strong definite tastes though.

Drinkability - Definetely drinkable, goes down like a cola. One of my favorite up and coming beers

palffyfan, Mar 05, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured out of the bottle into a strait pint glass. Looks amber but very light. You can smell the honey and also a typical brown ale smell. Sweet taste right from the beggining. First thought is that this beer should be served cold. Out of my beer fridge it was around 52 F. I think it would be better served like a macro lager at 38 F. Aftertaste is sweet and nutty. Over carbonation is the next feeling. I'm not saying I dislike this beer, just that it needs some major improvement. I don't think you could drink very many of these unless you were in the mood for something sweet. Even then there are better alternatives out there.

1759dallas, Feb 24, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Two fingers of white head that fades quickly. After a minute the head completely has disappeared and no lacing is left to drape the glass. Clear amber/gold color with lots of carbonation.

S: Sweet honey-malt scent with no complexity or hops.

T/M: Slight malty body with hints of honey. Shadows of hops in the finish, but not nearly enough to enjoy. Very sweet aftertaste. No mouthfeel to speak of except for heavy carbonation.

D: Could easily drink several in one night, but not sure that I would want to. A little too sweet to drink in excess.

Notes: Drank a lot in college and it helped me to understand that beer could have flavor. I now see that it had very little flavor. Enjoyable enough to be refreshing. Definitely worth the price ($3.99/6), but I would rather spent 3x as much and get a better beer.

kdmorse, Feb 20, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a crystal clear medium amber color with modeest white head. Smell is on the sweet side (honey) and while different not especially appealling. Taste is more sweetness, but the honey notes are somewhat enjoyable. Finish is more sweetness, which begins to get a bit tiring. Not your average beer, but may be more enjoyable on a hot summer afternoon.

tgbljb, Feb 19, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

I am rather anoyed that my fellow BA bros. would rate this wonderfull beer with such a low score, but then again to each his own...
Pours :a golden copper.

Smells :Is almost non existent cept' for the faint honey

Taste : Is nice and sweet at first then turns a tad bready.

Mouthfeel : Nice and Wet and was surprised by all the carbonation....I never realy noticed till I decided to judge the beer.

Drinkability : For the price you cant go wrong. It has sort of the same taste as bud light but with more flavor and of cource a tad of honey for half the cost.

Tallboy, Feb 19, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Brew pours to a deep golden color that hedges on amber. Has a nice sized off white head that has some retention and leaves a fair amount of lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma has a sweat quality to it that seems to dominate causing any malt aromas to be well-hidden or even non existent. The taste is pretty good, does have a sweat characteristic but it is not too much for me. Do notice some malt flavors but even though they do come out in the taste they still seem quite hidden. The feel is very fresh and crisp with a nice amount of carbonation. Probably my least favorite in the Dundee offering but a old favorite from college days long past. Over all a fair brew.

Stimack, Feb 17, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Lucky review #200 for this beer.

This one actually looks pretty good. Very shiny, vibrant, darker-golden hue. Small head floats on the surface and forms a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell is lacking. Like an american macro lager with some artificial honey-like scent on top.

Tastes much like it smells. Like Budweiser with honey flavoring added. The mouthfeel burns at first, in that macro lager kind of way, but then it smooths out quickly, which is a relief.

The only other honey lager I have had is Young's Waggledance, and comparatively speaking, that is much better, but this beer is really not all that bad. If they ironed out the burning sensation it gives your mouth, this would be an above-average beer, in my book.

chOAKbarrell, Feb 09, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Ah, good old honey brown. I drank this in vast quantities in my salad days in a tiny college town near the Dundee ancestral homeland of upstate New York. That by itself is probably enough to doom this brew, as my younger self was as known for his selectivity as much for his sobriety, which is to say I had almost none of either..
Typical macro lager amber color and thin skullcap of head and massive carbonation colonies. Nose is malty and sweet, although I detect no honey. Adjuncts are present but not overly prominent.
Taste is reasonably pleasing, with malt and hop flavors decent but watered down. Mouthfeel is round and finish is crisp although carbonation, as I suspected, is on total overkill.
I'm acually surprised as how I don't hate this beer. It's total macroswill but for macroswill, it's half decent. It's close to Yeungling and Saranac although a few notches behind Blue Point, imho. However, for $8.79 a twelve, it's good value and great for game day or another event when you have to host and want to appeal to everyone, not just your beer snob buddies.

daliandragon, Feb 05, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours an orange color with a decent head from a twelve ounce bottle. Aroma is mild, not a real lot there. Taste is pretty decent for a lager beer, I like the touch of honey. Makes for a fairly quaffable beer. This is probably a decent beer to introduce macro drinkers to craft beer.

Drew966, Feb 05, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into pint glass

Poured a light brown with yellowish tint. Head was foaming but started leaving small lace and then disappearing.
Smell was sweet, malt and hops. some citrus
Taste started malty, then went to sweet with hops coming out at the end, but never overpowering the sweetness.
I couldn't drink too much, too sweet.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a light reddish amber huge with a thick sudsy white head. Pleasant to look at, inviting to the eyes.

Smells sweet, nice amber aroma. No hops. Pleasant.

Taste very similar. No real complexity, but it's nice to taste.

Mouthfeel thin, not really coating the palate, but for a beer of this style that may be a positive -- it goes down smooth.

Overall, this is pretty much just an "eh" beer for me. It's nothing that tastes fantastic, but it's a nice solid brew that I could probably drink several of if the need ever arose. Rogue's American Amber is miles better, though.

danielharper, Jan 20, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours an ultra-clear light golden color. Fizzy two finger head dissapears quickly but leaves fair lacing. Massive amount of fast-moving carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Honey-ish and light malt aromas, pretty clean. Pale malt sweetness, and a nutra-sweet fake honey taste. Hops attempt to make an impact on aftertaste, but there is almost no bittter in this unblanced and off-sweet brew. Light body and champagne-like carbonation prevents the off-flavors from turning slick, but the finish is residual with artificial sweetness, and the resulting drinkability is low.

PBRstreetgang, Jan 19, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

from the bottle. poured a honey with a white head that left no lacing. aroma nutty, malts. just a slight hint of sweetness and some hops. flavor what there was odf it got nuttyness, malts, sweetness could only get small hints of honey out of this bottle, and that’s all folks. I guess for the price might make a session beer

walleye, Jan 18, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured this into a pint glass and wasn't thrilled with the result. Light brownish yellow, clear, with no head, lots of carbonation. Beer is almost clear at the edges. Smell is hard candy sweet over a watery malt base. Looks suspiciously like an iced tea at this point. Taste is sweet, nearly cloying, with a crispiness that doesn't quite save the day here. Light body. Yes, you can drink it, but I wouldn't seek this one out.

pentathlete, Jan 14, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +1%

This beer was tasted in a Pint Glass from a bottle.

The color of the beer is dull brown with a frothy head that leaves a little foam the whole way down but does not leave any lace. It smells mostly of some barley malt with a slightly sweet aroma. The taste does not reveal much that the taste does not. There is an average thickness and carbonation. Overally this beer does not bring enough to the table to be considered all that great.

MSchae1017, Jan 07, 2006

Three of these came in a sampler 12 pack along with the amber lager, pale ale, and the new special edition festive ale. Pours a dark amber color a thick tan head that quickly fades. Not very much in the aroma department besides a mild sweetness. Taste is thin and weak with a little too much sweetness for me. There is a place for this beer, just not in my fridge.

clemtig76, Jan 02, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Aroma is weak with hints of weak bitter hops and sweetness. Color is amber with a bias toward orange and carbonation is moderate with a quickly diminishing head. Taste is enjoyable with slightly noticeable honey. Body is light-medium compared to other lagers I've tried. Head that is left on the side is so minimal it doesn't even form a lace pattern.

I like this beer but it isn't anything special. The honey taste is slightly noticeable but the beer is much more enjoyable after drinking a more bitter beer, as the honey then jumps out.

doctorjoeyboey, Dec 26, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

JW Dundee's Honey Brown bills itself as a "honey flavored lager". Huh, interesting... and cheap too, $7.50 for a 12 pack. I was short on cash that night and couldn't resist...

Pours a medium yellow color into my glass, foamy head but it disappears quickly, with minor lacing. A few bubbles rise to the top. Looks honey colored, actually. As advertised so far...

Smells slightly malty (key word is slightly), mild hops and maybe... corn? Hrm, can't really say. Nothing too intriguing.

Taste is rather bland, can't say I can really taste honey on first sip. Ah, there it is... a muted sweetness behind the fizzy, watered down malt taste. Wonder if there's any real honey in there? Tastes kind of like a sweet Bud Select (gah) but with a more pleasing mouthfeel and aftertaste. Warms the back of my throat a bit.

Mouthfeel is thin, with an inoffensive but boring dry malt aftertaste.

What can I say? Honey Brown is an uninteresting, middle-class beer. For a cheap American lager, I'd say it does alright. It would probably go great with grilled food or other hearty fare. It's actually rather drinkable, especially if you're short on options.

That said, JW Dundee's product is nothing to write home about, but you could do a lot worse for the price range. In fact, Honey Brown is unquestionably superior to the Big 3 macros, so you have no excuse to be buying them if you see this on the shelves.

kkipple, Dec 17, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this at a local bar for only $1 a pint. How could I pass up a good beer for only $1? It came to me in an American pint glass that was not chilled or anything.

Poured an amber/brownish color with a small head of white foam that dissipated fast that left no rings or lace whatsoever. It didn't have much of an aroma, except for some grains in a sweet background. The taste was like the smell, grainy with a little bit of sweet honey in the background. At one time I noticed some hops in there too. The mouthfeel was very average, light and easily drinkable. Basically a cheap above average beer and would make a nice substitute when the bar has nothing but macros.

AltBock, Dec 11, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear, light brownish amber with a small, slight off-white, foamy, quickly diminishing head. The smell is of sweet grainy malts, very light grassy hops and a bit of doughy yeast. The taste is mostly grain with some cooked veggie in there too, and it rather sweet as it heads toward the finish. The finish is short and very lightly dry with a touch of honey. It has a medium-light body, lightly oily texture and lively carbonation. Nothing special, but quite drinkable. I was always happy to see this on tap at college parties (but considering what they would normally have, can you blame me?), because it was a little heavier that the average kegger beer but smoother too.

ski271, Dec 10, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a deep amber color with a brown/copper hue. The head is thin and foamy and eventually reduces to a very slight lace. This smell is dominated by a pleasantly appetizing honey aroma, with some grain malt in there as well. The beer features a very clean honey flavor with a comparatively mild grain flavor in the background. Not much in the way of hops, though. A fairly thin mouthfeel with a very mild carbonation tang.

While not that complex or interesting, the honey flavor, sweetness, drinkabilty and even the price make this a great brew to use when introducing BMC drinkers to the craft beer scene. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Nov 30, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

Light bodied, orange/amber color with a decent off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is mild sweet malt with just a hint of honey.

Taste is along the same lines, mostly mild malt flavor with only a hint of honey. Not overly sweet and the honey flavor just adds a note but does not dominate.

Smooth, refreshing and very drinkable.

whynot44, Nov 29, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours into my tulip glass. What a great sentence. Its color is brownish red, the color reminds me of rotten wood, specifically cedar. I don't mean this as a bad connotation, rather I'm just trying to describe the color as best I can. However, this beer dosen't look very enticing. When I poured it into my glass there was absoutley no head. Becasue the beer is clear and not cloudy I am able to see the carbonation. It doesn't have a great amount but at least it doesn't look flat. Perhaps if this beer had more of a head it wouuld look a bit more appetizing.

The aroma of this beer isn't too incrediblly strong. I detect no bitter/hoppy smell in this beer at all. I want to say that I detect hints of vanilla in the aroma.

The flavor of this beer, in my opinion, doesn't quite live up to what I expected the style to be. I expected more of a malt flavor in this beer. I taste the malt influence of course but in my opinion this isn't a strong enough flavor to base and sell an entire line of beer off of. I would also like to say I detect faint hints of vanilla in the flavor of this beer as well, at least that's what I percieve/call this smell and taste as. I really don't think that it is these exact smells and scents but rather what in my experience it is closest to.

The mouthfeel of this beer is average. Not much carbonation in this beer, and it is light on the palate. It also goes down easily. You could drink this all night with no problems, but I wouldn't want to. I don't think that I am a big fan of this beer. I really wouldn't buy it again unless I had no other better options.

becktone, Nov 19, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

JW Dundee's Original Honey Brown….What to say, what to say. It is a good beer….however I wouldn’t exactly call this a brown. The color is dark-er and the taste is brown-ish. As far as the honey goes, I would expect a little more honey flavor. I really like honey ales and what not, but I felt that this should have had a more obvious honey essence, considering that the word is in the name. This is a very carbonated beer and is lacking a decent head.
This is a good beer for people who might be interested in trying things other than BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). It is a relatively light beer and has a nice, smooth taste. This is a good summer beer (or in San Antonio a year ‘round beer because we have 363.75 days of summer here). Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. It is an easy drinker and moderately priced as well.
…but you don’t have to take my word for it!

Mitchel, Nov 07, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

I tried this beer in contrast with the Michelob Honey Lager I recently sampled. I can say that the J.W. Dundee’s is immensely better than the Michelob, but still is nothing amazing.

Highs: Price
Lows: Nothing remarkable

Pours dark amber with a very thick tan head that slowly fades away. Sweetish nose of honey, but mostly apple and refined sugar. Flavor is sweet but fortunately not syrupy, with a kind of grape juice flavor more than “honey.” This is an adequate example of honeyed or otherwise flavored beer, and a far cry from the “malt beverages” that sometimes try to pass as beer. However, nothing really stands out in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is bubbly and refreshing; drinkability is about average. The finish is subdued; there is a hint of malt/yeast.

Overall: OK for a specialty beer, but nothing spectacular. Worth a try if you’re intererested in this style or want to show a macro drinker what else is out there. It is relatively inexpensive; I paid $5.85 for a sixer.

jettjon, Nov 02, 2005
Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.