Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +1%

This beer was tasted in a Pint Glass from a bottle.

The color of the beer is dull brown with a frothy head that leaves a little foam the whole way down but does not leave any lace. It smells mostly of some barley malt with a slightly sweet aroma. The taste does not reveal much that the taste does not. There is an average thickness and carbonation. Overally this beer does not bring enough to the table to be considered all that great.

MSchae1017, Jan 07, 2006

Three of these came in a sampler 12 pack along with the amber lager, pale ale, and the new special edition festive ale. Pours a dark amber color a thick tan head that quickly fades. Not very much in the aroma department besides a mild sweetness. Taste is thin and weak with a little too much sweetness for me. There is a place for this beer, just not in my fridge.

clemtig76, Jan 02, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Aroma is weak with hints of weak bitter hops and sweetness. Color is amber with a bias toward orange and carbonation is moderate with a quickly diminishing head. Taste is enjoyable with slightly noticeable honey. Body is light-medium compared to other lagers I've tried. Head that is left on the side is so minimal it doesn't even form a lace pattern.

I like this beer but it isn't anything special. The honey taste is slightly noticeable but the beer is much more enjoyable after drinking a more bitter beer, as the honey then jumps out.

doctorjoeyboey, Dec 26, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

JW Dundee's Honey Brown bills itself as a "honey flavored lager". Huh, interesting... and cheap too, $7.50 for a 12 pack. I was short on cash that night and couldn't resist...

Pours a medium yellow color into my glass, foamy head but it disappears quickly, with minor lacing. A few bubbles rise to the top. Looks honey colored, actually. As advertised so far...

Smells slightly malty (key word is slightly), mild hops and maybe... corn? Hrm, can't really say. Nothing too intriguing.

Taste is rather bland, can't say I can really taste honey on first sip. Ah, there it is... a muted sweetness behind the fizzy, watered down malt taste. Wonder if there's any real honey in there? Tastes kind of like a sweet Bud Select (gah) but with a more pleasing mouthfeel and aftertaste. Warms the back of my throat a bit.

Mouthfeel is thin, with an inoffensive but boring dry malt aftertaste.

What can I say? Honey Brown is an uninteresting, middle-class beer. For a cheap American lager, I'd say it does alright. It would probably go great with grilled food or other hearty fare. It's actually rather drinkable, especially if you're short on options.

That said, JW Dundee's product is nothing to write home about, but you could do a lot worse for the price range. In fact, Honey Brown is unquestionably superior to the Big 3 macros, so you have no excuse to be buying them if you see this on the shelves.

kkipple, Dec 17, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this at a local bar for only $1 a pint. How could I pass up a good beer for only $1? It came to me in an American pint glass that was not chilled or anything.

Poured an amber/brownish color with a small head of white foam that dissipated fast that left no rings or lace whatsoever. It didn't have much of an aroma, except for some grains in a sweet background. The taste was like the smell, grainy with a little bit of sweet honey in the background. At one time I noticed some hops in there too. The mouthfeel was very average, light and easily drinkable. Basically a cheap above average beer and would make a nice substitute when the bar has nothing but macros.

AltBock, Dec 11, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear, light brownish amber with a small, slight off-white, foamy, quickly diminishing head. The smell is of sweet grainy malts, very light grassy hops and a bit of doughy yeast. The taste is mostly grain with some cooked veggie in there too, and it rather sweet as it heads toward the finish. The finish is short and very lightly dry with a touch of honey. It has a medium-light body, lightly oily texture and lively carbonation. Nothing special, but quite drinkable. I was always happy to see this on tap at college parties (but considering what they would normally have, can you blame me?), because it was a little heavier that the average kegger beer but smoother too.

ski271, Dec 10, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a deep amber color with a brown/copper hue. The head is thin and foamy and eventually reduces to a very slight lace. This smell is dominated by a pleasantly appetizing honey aroma, with some grain malt in there as well. The beer features a very clean honey flavor with a comparatively mild grain flavor in the background. Not much in the way of hops, though. A fairly thin mouthfeel with a very mild carbonation tang.

While not that complex or interesting, the honey flavor, sweetness, drinkabilty and even the price make this a great brew to use when introducing BMC drinkers to the craft beer scene. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Nov 30, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

Light bodied, orange/amber color with a decent off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is mild sweet malt with just a hint of honey.

Taste is along the same lines, mostly mild malt flavor with only a hint of honey. Not overly sweet and the honey flavor just adds a note but does not dominate.

Smooth, refreshing and very drinkable.

whynot44, Nov 29, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours into my tulip glass. What a great sentence. Its color is brownish red, the color reminds me of rotten wood, specifically cedar. I don't mean this as a bad connotation, rather I'm just trying to describe the color as best I can. However, this beer dosen't look very enticing. When I poured it into my glass there was absoutley no head. Becasue the beer is clear and not cloudy I am able to see the carbonation. It doesn't have a great amount but at least it doesn't look flat. Perhaps if this beer had more of a head it wouuld look a bit more appetizing.

The aroma of this beer isn't too incrediblly strong. I detect no bitter/hoppy smell in this beer at all. I want to say that I detect hints of vanilla in the aroma.

The flavor of this beer, in my opinion, doesn't quite live up to what I expected the style to be. I expected more of a malt flavor in this beer. I taste the malt influence of course but in my opinion this isn't a strong enough flavor to base and sell an entire line of beer off of. I would also like to say I detect faint hints of vanilla in the flavor of this beer as well, at least that's what I percieve/call this smell and taste as. I really don't think that it is these exact smells and scents but rather what in my experience it is closest to.

The mouthfeel of this beer is average. Not much carbonation in this beer, and it is light on the palate. It also goes down easily. You could drink this all night with no problems, but I wouldn't want to. I don't think that I am a big fan of this beer. I really wouldn't buy it again unless I had no other better options.

becktone, Nov 19, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

JW Dundee's Original Honey Brown….What to say, what to say. It is a good beer….however I wouldn’t exactly call this a brown. The color is dark-er and the taste is brown-ish. As far as the honey goes, I would expect a little more honey flavor. I really like honey ales and what not, but I felt that this should have had a more obvious honey essence, considering that the word is in the name. This is a very carbonated beer and is lacking a decent head.
This is a good beer for people who might be interested in trying things other than BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). It is a relatively light beer and has a nice, smooth taste. This is a good summer beer (or in San Antonio a year ‘round beer because we have 363.75 days of summer here). Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. It is an easy drinker and moderately priced as well.
…but you don’t have to take my word for it!

Mitchel, Nov 07, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

I tried this beer in contrast with the Michelob Honey Lager I recently sampled. I can say that the J.W. Dundee’s is immensely better than the Michelob, but still is nothing amazing.

Highs: Price
Lows: Nothing remarkable

Pours dark amber with a very thick tan head that slowly fades away. Sweetish nose of honey, but mostly apple and refined sugar. Flavor is sweet but fortunately not syrupy, with a kind of grape juice flavor more than “honey.” This is an adequate example of honeyed or otherwise flavored beer, and a far cry from the “malt beverages” that sometimes try to pass as beer. However, nothing really stands out in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is bubbly and refreshing; drinkability is about average. The finish is subdued; there is a hint of malt/yeast.

Overall: OK for a specialty beer, but nothing spectacular. Worth a try if you’re intererested in this style or want to show a macro drinker what else is out there. It is relatively inexpensive; I paid $5.85 for a sixer.

jettjon, Nov 02, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug, nice light gold color to it. foamy head dissipates pretty fast to form a very thin cap. looks alright

i like the smell, sweet, honey obviously, pretty appealing. probably the best aspect of this brew.

taste is kind of funky but not that bad. it's a cheap brew so it has notes of thin cheap beer taste mixed with the subtle honey sweetness. it's not the best taste in the world but for a cheap beer it is pretty good. it definitely grows on you.

mouthfeel is thin and light like cheap beer tends to be. nothing special.

drinkability is alright, when you're low on cash this is a good brew to turn to. after a few the flavor grows on you a bit. plus it blows other american brews in the pricerange out of the water.

overall a very decent and underrated beer. it's really not that bad for the price, and i enjoy the honey flavor once in a while.

JasonCoop, Oct 26, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

Nice golden color. One inch head slowly goes into a nice lace. Light,but not watery. Good flavor with a slight sweet edge.Smooth finish,makes this a very drinkable beer. This has been a beer of choice for me lately. Good price,full flavor.I recommend this beer.

riversider76, Oct 07, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

12 oz brown bottle. couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, didn't check the case though.

a - pours a honey like copper with a half inch head. i saw no lacing in the three glasses that i drank.

s - honey, malt, maybe a bit of clove. the nose is pretty sweet and i wasn't so sure how i felt about it.

t - not impressed with this. the flavors don't really mesh together so well. the honey smell that i encountered was barely reflected in the taste. watery malt, with almost no hoppiness. it almost tastes like they forgot to put enough hops in this.

m - smooth light bodied beer.

notes: personally i wouldn't buy this again. however, it's cheap, really really cheap. you can pick up a 12 of this for less than a 12 of bud at yankee spirits. this is probably a good beer to use if you're trying to turn a friend on to "better beer".

radshoesbro, Sep 28, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

JW's Honey Brown is a deep copper color with a 1/2" soapy white head. The head fades instantly and leaves no lace.

Smell is sweet and definitely thick with honey. Grain. Malt. No hops. Appealing aroma.

Taste is very surprising. Good sweetness (not over-powering at all). Nice honey flavor. The mouthfeel is rich and round. Mid-level carbonation. Very nice change of pace and very easy to drink. Good beer at a great price.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Sep 17, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

Nice golden amber color, but head and carbonation are kinda weak. Head starts off small and gets smaller, although the huge bubbles get a little finer. Big bubbles roaring up inside the pint glass. I would have said a 2 at first but it got better looking with some time.

I love this smell. Honey, malts, grains. Clearly going for the unabashedly sweet lager. Call me crazy, but I like my honey beer to smell sweet.

Surprisingly clean taste. Honey and malts, really. Hops are minimal if at all present. Sweetness fades perfectly, with a sugary aftertaste that lingers nicely but is not overpowering. Good amber malt base compliments the honey.

Mouthfeel is fine, maybe a little overcarbonated at first but pretty average. Nice and crisp.

I really like drinking this beer. Nice ABV, really perfect for drinking with non-BAs or at the game. You hear that a lot, "a football beer," but this is more pleasing than most football beers. I like my sweet beers to be sweet and this definitely is sugary, so if you have a problem with that you might not like it. This brew is not afraid to show the honey. Don't get me wrong, this beer is no masterpiece and is very simple, but the bottom line is that it's pretty decent.

The kicker on the drinkability is that it is $7.50 for a 12 pack. Yes! Easily one of the top beers in this price range. Also, I got a 1/4 barrel of this over the summer, and it was even tastier on tap.

semihobo, Sep 08, 2005
3.1/5  rDev 0%

Grabbed one out of the fridge at my Aunt's place. She got a selection of "fancy" beers for labor day....this, Guinness, St. Pauli Girl. Corona, Rolling Rock. Better than BMC I suppose.

Pours a pale amber...not exactly what I was expecting from a "honey BROWN" with a minimal white head. Smell is a little adjuncty, with some sweet malt. Taste is of a standard macro lager with some honey sweetness. Aftertaste is corn and a little metallic. Mouthfeel is bubbly, body is medium. Overall, a slightly sweet, slightly more tolerable macro lager. Better than anything BMC for sure, but nothing to write home about

Golden2wenty1, Sep 06, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This one pours a shiny copper penny color, very clear with a small amount of carbonation. The head is deep and thick and white, but dissipates quickly leaving no lace. Afterwards the head is very thin.

The smell is almost not there, very faint. There is a mild sweetness and some flowery wafts of something. The taste is slightly tangy with a mild amount of hops. It is mainly fruity with hints of oranges and honey. The beer is mildly refreshing and very smooth, almost watery in the mouthfeel, especially the aftertaste.

abcsofbeer, Aug 21, 2005
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Clear golden-orange color with a medium head that vanishes quickly. No lacing.

Smell - Almost no odor. It has a faint skunk against weak grain. Odd since it is in a brown bottle.

Taste - Considering the smell surprisingly good. It isn't a strong flavor, but it has a very mild malt flavor followed soon by a slightly stronger honey taste. The sweetness is mild though, nothing intense or syrupy. No bitterness. After several second the honey aftertaste is replaced by a mild sour-bitter, not potent enough to be repulsive, it just makes you want to drink again.

Mouthfeel - Its smoothness is uncanny, leaves a slight pectin texture on the roof of you mouth which dissappears quickly. A bit thin, I was hoping for a more viscous lager. It is incredibly refreshing.

Drinkability - I usually take a long time drinking my beers. Giving me lots of little sips and lots of time to savor. I didn't do that here. I wanted to taste the honey and the revitalizing texture. Not that I chugged it, but I took it in quicker than usual. I could drink this with many meals, I could drink this again right now. At its reasonable price, this is a fairly good buy.

mrasskicktastic, Aug 09, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours a pale not-at-all-brown with a decent head. Honey sweet and slightly malty smell. Buh, the sweetness is way too much. It's not a natural honey flavor, i.e. Dogfish Midas Touch, either. Just sickly sweet with barely any beer taste. Really horrible syrupy mouthfeel. I couldn't finish my pint.

thechaacster, Aug 08, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Peppy label design that says "C'mon...try one." Back label states 4.5% ABV.

Pours a crystal clear filtered light amber hue topped with a frothy vanilla white 1" head cap that quickly settles to a wafer thin slick leaving NO lace.

No one can acuse JW Dundee of false advertising. OHB has a solid grain lager scent with a floral honey bouquet, there is no doubt. Some copper scents finish.

First swigs: Mirrored flavors in the nose and mouth. Tastes of brisk lager grain, a little Earthy mineral water fountain water, and of course, some delicate sweet honey hints. A tickle of caramel and malty cake batter dough round up the taste. Loses points if this gets warmed up. Probably a beer that is should be drank from the bottle.

Thin feel with a soft shush carbonation. Clean finish with a slight honey linger aftertataste.

Last swig: Is what it is to be: Lager and honey. JW Dundee has craftes a friendly clean quaffable brew that compliments Summer and BBQ food better than any other beer that I can think of. Quite a pleasure that finds finds its way into my fridge often enough.

Beer is good. Happy Summer beering.

blitheringidiot, Aug 06, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

Eeh, an ok beer. Looks...bown...with coca cola looking high lights. A little over carbonated, with little in the way of head retention. Smells caramelly, nutty, and molassas like, albe it light. Slight yeast flavors and earthiness in the nose. Tastes much the same in sweetness and a little souring from fermentation. May have a little diacityl. No hop aroma or flavor leaves this beer too sweet not to have a bigger body. The body is medium and slick to the palate. Finishes a bit too barley sweet and not bittering or drying in the finish. No definate alcohol flavors or warmth. An ok beer, but the lack of balance and depth keeps me from drinking more.

BEERchitect, Aug 02, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +1%

Well,well ,well what do we have here?
To my utter amazement I found this beer today in Salem, Oregon.
Wow brings back memories of my days in Georgia in the 90s, i used to drink a ton of this stuff, especially in the long hot humid summer.
22 oz bottle, classy looking label
Quite a pleasant beer to behold,golden with a creamy/frothy pure white head, nice laceing.
The aroma is pretty subdued ,but nice and seems fresh, i can detect slight grassy hops and a tinge of honeyish sweetness.
Taste is ok nothing to write home about, but refreshing enough and the honey is not sickening.Nice American lager.
Pretty average mouthfeel..little sticky near the end.
I found this quite nice and drinkable.'
Its not the best beer in the world ,but its ok on a hot summerday..and heck i just plain like it for the good memories it brings to mind.

Reidrover, Aug 01, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

Looks really nice for a lager, an eye-catching golden, honeyish color. "Honey Brown" isn't a bad description of it. Starts with a big, soapy head, but that doesn't last long. After that, there's no lacing of which to speak. Definitely smells honeyish, but also floral and perfumey. Really smells like a honey-scented perfume. The only initial taste is malty, but there's a hint of honey on the finish that's nice. Mouthfeel is limpid; I'm not convinced that there's any carbon dioxide in this beer at all. I suppose this beer hits exactly what it aims for, which is a malty lager with a hint of honey. Any more honey and it would be sickeningly sweet, but that little bit of honey is the only real character this beer has.

battlekow, Jul 27, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

A- Dusty golden color with a decent lace.

S- Sweet aroma, more malt than honey ... almost smells like processed honey essence.

T- Weak and watery malt, mild sweetness with a husky finish. Faint hop does nothing to flavor and barley balances.

M- Light crispness, a tad slick on the palate.

D- This beer is easy to drink though the sweetness was getting to me after a while.

A cult classic and a decent stepping stone from macro lagers to perhaps craft beer one day.

Jason, Jul 27, 2005
Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.