Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 648 | Hads: 1,316
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a golden brown color with a nice foamy white head that faded fairly quickly into a nice ring of lacing

Smell was sweet malt. Not really much aroma in this beer.

Taste was pretty good. Not much complexity and a little too sweet but I liked it. Starts out with a tiny amount of bitterness which quickly turns to a sweet honey aftertaste. Light bodied.

Overall a good beer for the price. Not a lot of complexity and low on alcohol content but what do you expect at $19 a case. My favorite "bargin" lager so far. (521 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep copper color. Aroma of sweet malt, honey and spent grains. In the taste, honey, malts, bread, and very little hop or bitterness. Smooth lager with notes of caramel and honey. Toast, caramel, hop and a bit of corn. Smooth lager with a mild honey taste. Medium bodied feel with a honey slick finish. Good amount of carbonation and quite drinkable. Overall, this is still a good beer. I made myself famous in college by throwing keg parties with this stuff. Let the good times roll with this one. (506 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Having found that I like a less hoppy beer than most IPAs out there I decided to try this honey brown, hoping it would be smother. Bingo.

The beer poured a honey golden brown, with good clarity, and no chill haze. Nicely carbonated but did not form a large head. Maybe one finger of head from a 6 inch elevated pour, which dissipated quickly. There was light lacing which did persist rather well. Light lacing not lots and not heavy.

There was not a lot of smell.

This beer hit what I was hoping for in taste. It is a smooth taste with almost no aftertaste in the finish. Even with a very light hop taste it still does not come across excessively malty. The honey taste is present without being too sweet. The reviewer who termed this a session beer hit it square on the head. The taste is one that won't leave you dreading the next drink after a few hours of drinking.

The mouth feel was medium to medium +. The carbonation gives the tongue a nice bite with leads to the beer feeling bigger than it really is. I found that as the beer warmed and the carbonation faded, the mouth feel still did not become watery.

Overall I liked this beer and will buy more. A very enjoyable drinking experience. (1,203 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

24oz can poured into a tulip. Canned June 24, 2013.

A: Pours a clear amber with a two finger dense white head. Lots of visible carbonation in the body. Pockets form and dissipate the head in a minute or two. A spot or two of lacing.

S: Has the typical adjunct lager aroma with a hint more of malt sweetness.

T: The flavor of the honey is actually more pronounced than I would have ever thought. It isnt over the top just a noticeably nice addition to the sweetness of the malt.

M: Light body with slightly less carbonation than some of the other lagers out there. A touch of stickiness from the hop but the finish remains clean.

Overall better than I thought it would be. Know I've had this beer in the past but didnt sit down to think about it in depth. (762 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Light brown with a slightly foamy head. Minimal lacing

Smell: Sweet. Dessert-like, as a pie

Taste: Mildly full, mildly sweet. Not a lot of finish.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy. Embraces the full mouth..says "Hey...how are you?".

Overall: Full disclosure- I am a fan of this because of its pricing and overall taste. This is the kind of brew you start drinking at 1:00 p.m. on a Sunday and are still enjoying in early evening. The alcohol does not overwhelm, but the beverage remains highly drinkable. A true session beer offering from New York state. This beer pairs with alot of 'bar-food' and is equally enjoyable on its own. It has a unique flavor and is consistently enjoyable. Share with friends after work, while watching a game, or while relaxing on the patio by yourself. Add a few bottles to your refrigerator so you have a fall-back when guests don't appreciate the high-end stuff. This is appealing to beer-snobs as well as beer-illiterates. (1,006 characters)

Not a great beer but enjoyable. This is my standby for something cheap but quaffable. Also good for cooking brats and sausages. For the price, its A great choice for something that tastes reasonably good without the craft price tag. I'd agree as well that its a steppingstone to greater things but it is great for times that you want something decent without exhausting your supply of quality brews. (399 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Half finger head that fades instantly. Amber red color. Almost no smell. Syrupy bland taste. Goes down smooth. Goes down like rootbeer. Barely and carbonation makes it taste thick. It almost leaves no aftertaste. Overall it's a pretty decent beer. I would buy it again. (269 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a finger of off-white head that settles to a sticky thin layer over a clear ambered-straw liquid. Smells saaz hoppy, biscuit malt, light caramel, toasted malt. The saaz spicey hops almost comes across as a tropical character.

Tastes noble hoppy with supporting malt sweet and malt flavor. Hops are earthy, tin-like, with a hallertauer floral finish. Light and clean hop bitter. Malt flavors are beneath the hops, but not much. Toasted grains and mild light-colored caramel. The malt flavor works well with the hop flavor. The malt sweet is thick, somehow, despite the md-light body. Must be the honey, which is noticable, but comes across as like a honey-product that isn't really honey. Overall, this beer comes across as syrupy and becomes wearing. The finish dries with mineral and some help from a modest carbonation.

Fits the American Amber category well in some ways. A bit too sticky for me and the hops were noble, not citrusy/piney American. Judged to style, not my flavor preference. (1,001 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Before I begin I must make the remark that this beer holds a special place in my heart. This is and always was my mom's favorite beer! So onto the review, I poured this beer into a pint glass so lets begin with this Honey Brown Lager.

Appearance- This beer is a mild brown color. There is just a hint of red in Honey Brown. As I poured this there was a beautiful off white creamy head of about two fingers in height. Much to my dismay though in about one minute the head fully went away to a little thin lace on my glass.

Smell- With my first large whiff I detect very little actually. I can tell this has a hint of honey but not quite as powerful as I would have expected. It has a slight sweet scent to it, but more of just a malt and grainy smell. There is also a slight grassy and Earthy smell to this beer.

Taste- All I really taste is roasted malt. It has only a sense of sweetness only in the fact that it goes down smooth. I do taste a little bit of the grassiness in the beer and really a very faint taste of honey. If it was not in the name I would not even recognize it at all.

Mouthfeel- It has a medium mouthfeel to me for a lager. It is a little heavier than I expected. I am actually impressed with the mouth swirl of this beer. This is honestly the best part of this beer. The mouthfeel is heavier and darker in nature than a typical adjunct lager would be but I definitely enjoy this part.

Overall- This beer is decent. Even with the nostalgia in my heart (and Palate) it is not as good as I remember. However, I have offered this beer to many a women and they really like it which is good for all you craft drinking men out there. I would only recommend this to people experimenting in beers so they can acquire a taste for something a bit more than the typical American adjunct lager. (1,808 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm a big Shiner Bock fan and when I finally tried Dundee's Original Honey Brown Lager, I noticed the similarities. This lead me to do a blind taste test with Shiner Bock. What I learned was they are fairly similar in taste and smell. Shiner Bock is richer and a bit heavier. However, not as much as I had supposed. This led me to edit and downgrade my original review of Shiner Bock. I guess I was reviewing a little too much from my heart. Here are the details of Honey Brown, but some beers are better than the sum of their parts.
Appearance - Not a rich brown, but more of a light amber or dark, reddish gold. Honey Brown looks a little thin.
Smell - Not a lot of aroma at all. There is a slightly sweet smell and an ever so slight smell of earthiness or flint.
Taste - This is the strength of this beer! Honey Brown has a slightly sweet taste of honey or brown sugar with perhaps some caramel thrown in. I definitely do not taste the very sweet flavor that several of the reviewers mention. It is refreshing and I notice it seems more watered down than sweet.
Overall - Shiner Bock is not easy to get where I live, so this can be a more affordable substitute and though the flavor doesn't match Shiner it's not as noticeable if you don't compare them together like I did. It's a refreshing beer with a slight sweet darker taste than any of your macros. (1,358 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy golden color, produced an average head with average retention and left some lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain and honey. Light in body, easy to drink, base of barley malt, slight hop flavor- beer is thin....not much of a honey flavor however the beer is very sweet. - out of balance in my opinion. Expected a lot more from this cult beer. (419 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: From the bottle, the beer pours a dark, clear gold with a fizzy white head. Head retention is so-so at best, and only a small amount of lace is left on the sides of the glass. Little streams of bubbles are clearly visible, indicating a considerable amount of carbonation.

S: Oddly neutral on the nose, with very subtle scents of honey, grain, straw, and grass peeking through briefly.

T: Notes of biscuit, crackers, white bread, caramel, honey, grain, straw, hay, and grass wash across the palate. The finish is dry and clipped with notes of honey and biscuit giving way to straw and grass flavors.

M: Relatively light in body and very dry. Carbonation is extremely crisp and firm. I would dare say that this beer is a bit overcarbonated. Not all that easy to drink.

O: A very mediocre lager, but then I was not expecting much. The honey flavor is very subtle and the beer is poorly balanced. Not entirely unappealing, but I doubt I would ever go out of my way to try this again. (986 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed the smoothness of this beer. Enjoyable mouthfeel, easy to go down and great smell of roasted malts. It was not too sweet and not too bitter. You can expect the perfect balance between the two. This is the perfect dessert beer and also a great refreshing treat after a hard day of tending to the lawn in the hot summer sun. However, it does taste a little watered down. Definitely could use some more hops to it. The yeast flavors are lacking in this one if you like yeasty beers, but would definitely try again if caught on sale. (537 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Copper crystal clear filtered, medium carbonation of fine bubbles, a finger of whitish head.

S: Amber lager chick pea like scent (similar to Fat tire) skunk (even though bottle is brown) coffee, chocolate, medium toasted malts, slight yeastiness. Quite mild.

T: Medium toastedness of an amber lager, quite watery and diluted, little honey with very light sweetness. Wouldn’t have detected the honey without the suggestion in the name. Slight skunk, little chick pea. Very watery. A little metallic. Try hard to breathe it out through your nose to detect a little yeastiness. Get more yeastiness from a Budweiser.

M: Light body, medium high carbonation. Watery.

O: Watery amber beer with little flavour and a slightly above average bottle and name. Not worth the price I paid in China (45yuan for this import). Only like that its from Upstate NY. (854 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Very transparent dark burnished gold color, with a fluffy white head that stands well.

S: Metallic scent and nothing else. Highly off-putting.

T: Very mild flavors. At first there is a sharp lemon-like tang, then it's followed by a grain aftertaste. It tastes very watered down.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and light bodied. It's very easy to drink.

O: Overall I was not impressed with this beer. I found it to lack a lot of flavor and the metallic scent was a turn-off. I would not recommend the beer. Not looking forward to the other 5. (547 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Cheapest six-pack in the craft-brew section of my local store. I've had this in restaurants, too.
Clear, medium amber color. Not much nose that I can detect (where do tasters come up with all these descriptions??). Head vanishes quickly, leaving no traces. Mouth feel is smooth. Flavor is good, but a bit sweet. More malt than hops -- in fact, I can barely taste hops. Overall, not bad. Don't think I'll be buying this at the store, but I'd choose it in a restaurant if they didn't have anything more interesting. (513 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A: pours with little lacing and is transparent light amber. S: Honey with light wheat. T: Sweet honey front transitioning to light caramel. Taste finishes quickly with little aftertaste. Mouth feel is watery and light. Overall, not bad for the style but the beer lacks depth, complexity, and individuality. (306 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +11.4%

My go-to cheap beer. They've got this at every store and every bar around here and it's always super cheap and tastes way better than anything else for the same price. Pours a brown color with off-white head. Malty taste with a hint of honey. This is the perfect beer for a low budget. (285 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Light amber and completely transparent. Soda-like head with no retention or lacing. Bread and rice aroma. Adjunct flavor with some wheat flavor. Hint of honey. Sweet character overall. Light body and highly carbonated. Lack luster. Won't be having another. (256 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Pours clear amber with a one finger quickly receding bubbly white head.

S - Toffee, slight honey, slight sweet malt

T - Toffee, slight chocolate, slight honey, metal. Too sweet for me.

M. Medium bodied with medium carbonation

O - Overall, this beer is way too artificial. It's like a tootsie roll soaked in alcohol. I didn't even finish the glass. I wouldn't have it again (380 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Amber-golden color, clear. Lots of bubbles rising. Small head. Lacing looks fairly nice on the glass.

Sweet aroma. Mostly malt. A little hints of honey.

Bready up front. Light toasted malts, some honey, slight hint of corn, just a touch of bitterness towards the end. Light bodied. Dry lingering aftertaste. (309 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer is pretty unspectacular. If I had to use one word for it, that word would be "sweet." It has a very subtle sweet (and honestly not unpleasant smell.) It pours a nice full golden amber with a 1 inch or so head and not much lacing. Mouthfeel is a little thin and the aftertaste is just more sweet without a lot of hoppiness. Not horrible at all, but not spectacular either. (381 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

So, somewhat oddly, a few Genesee brews have started showing up around me here in the PNW. As 40+ year resident of the Rochester area, I've been hitting a few as a mental visit back home. I remember when J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown first the market. Here we go.

24oz can poured into straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear light brown color with an inch of off-white head that quickly dissipated and left no lacing. The aroma was mostly a slightly sweet malt scent.

The flavors were pretty much the same, with the added surprise of just a slight bit of a hop tang on the finish. Nothing really notable or terrible. The body was just middle-of-the road between light and medium. Drinkability was good enough, if you're stuck at an event (wedding, graduation, etc) and the choice is between this and the basic BMC-style offerings, you'll be pretty happy old Dundee is around. A decent for what it is, and hell, a 24oz can for under $2 ain't no bad thing. (955 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

This brew brings back memories, I don't think I've had Honey Brown since I was in college more than 15 years ago. 24 ounce tall boy can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold/amber color with an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. The aroma isn't bad at all, but it's very light. It smells like sweet and grainy malt, and some honey. Taste is similar to the aroma (but much stronger). It tastes like sweet/grainy malt, honey, and a bit of caramel. Very sweet tasting beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's smooth and goes down pretty easy. It really isn't too bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't turn down a bottle or can of this. (690 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was the “craft” beer we served when I worked at Shenaniganz 10+ years ago. Bud Light, Miller Lite, Killian’s Red, and Honey Brown, we could proudly pour a fishbowl if you were feeling adventurous on a Friday night in the burbs. The truth is, it isn’t that bad. There’s some stigma, yeah, and it’s an early adopter of the add-flavors-instead-of-develop-them crew, but you can drink it easily and it could find a decent home in one of those beer cocktails I’ve been hearing so much about.

STYLE: American Amber / Red Lager

ABV: 4.5%

LOOK: Metallic orange and light bodied. The label, it boasts “brewed with honey” … you could expect a little more heft.

NOSE: Gummy bears, candied nuts, honeycomb, challah.

MOUTH: Honey Nut Cheerios and soft sweetness that zips in but lands with a whimper. Lacking depth, it’s served best, I think, in that awkward transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas, lingering sweetness from sweet potato pie but lacking robust winter spices to warm the room.

BA Rating: 72

Hayward Abbey Rating: 76 (1,054 characters)

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.