Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 652 | Hads: 1,338
2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Clear, orange-amber body. Fizzy white head doesn't last long. Not much in the way of carbonation bubbles.

S: Grainy, sweet.

T: Grainy malt, corn, cooked vegetable, slight touch of sweetness.

M: Not as watery as your typical cheap lager. Could be more carbonated.

O: Not bad, and certainly easy to drink a lot of. ~$10 for a 12 case isn't a bad price, but it could be cheaper for the quality.

4.31/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been awhile since I had this one. I have fond memories of it. Pours a beautiful golden brown. Smells of honeysuckle, the mouthful is like chewing toffee candy. This is one of the two honey beers where you can actually taste the honey. Taste is sweet malty, definitely satisfies the sweet tooth. Very drinkable beer. I am rating it higher than most but I like it.

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%

A: The beer is crystal clear light amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: As the beer warms up, light to moderate aromas of honey become noticeable in the nose and become stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste has light flavors of caramel malts with stronger notes of honey towards the finish. Despite the honey, the beer isn't really sweet. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a bit thin on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: You can definitely smell and taste the honey in this beer, which prevents it from being bland.

3.22/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium, maybe slightly bigger off white head with some decent staying power sits above a clear bright copper golden colored beer.

Faint sweet lightly roasted caramel grain malts aroma.

Caramel grain malts with a light honey twist in the taste, it seems the honey in the taste fades kind of quickly.

Lighter dryish aftertaste with just a bit of the caramel malts hanging around with this medium bodied brown.

A little light on the taste but still not a bad beer, I could down a few of these.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a golden brown color with a nice foamy white head that faded fairly quickly into a nice ring of lacing

Smell was sweet malt. Not really much aroma in this beer.

Taste was pretty good. Not much complexity and a little too sweet but I liked it. Starts out with a tiny amount of bitterness which quickly turns to a sweet honey aftertaste. Light bodied.

Overall a good beer for the price. Not a lot of complexity and low on alcohol content but what do you expect at $19 a case. My favorite "bargin" lager so far.

3.69/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep copper color. Aroma of sweet malt, honey and spent grains. In the taste, honey, malts, bread, and very little hop or bitterness. Smooth lager with notes of caramel and honey. Toast, caramel, hop and a bit of corn. Smooth lager with a mild honey taste. Medium bodied feel with a honey slick finish. Good amount of carbonation and quite drinkable. Overall, this is still a good beer. I made myself famous in college by throwing keg parties with this stuff. Let the good times roll with this one.

3.76/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Having found that I like a less hoppy beer than most IPAs out there I decided to try this honey brown, hoping it would be smother. Bingo.

The beer poured a honey golden brown, with good clarity, and no chill haze. Nicely carbonated but did not form a large head. Maybe one finger of head from a 6 inch elevated pour, which dissipated quickly. There was light lacing which did persist rather well. Light lacing not lots and not heavy.

There was not a lot of smell.

This beer hit what I was hoping for in taste. It is a smooth taste with almost no aftertaste in the finish. Even with a very light hop taste it still does not come across excessively malty. The honey taste is present without being too sweet. The reviewer who termed this a session beer hit it square on the head. The taste is one that won't leave you dreading the next drink after a few hours of drinking.

The mouth feel was medium to medium +. The carbonation gives the tongue a nice bite with leads to the beer feeling bigger than it really is. I found that as the beer warmed and the carbonation faded, the mouth feel still did not become watery.

Overall I liked this beer and will buy more. A very enjoyable drinking experience.

3.41/5  rDev +10.4%

24oz can poured into a tulip. Canned June 24, 2013.

A: Pours a clear amber with a two finger dense white head. Lots of visible carbonation in the body. Pockets form and dissipate the head in a minute or two. A spot or two of lacing.

S: Has the typical adjunct lager aroma with a hint more of malt sweetness.

T: The flavor of the honey is actually more pronounced than I would have ever thought. It isnt over the top just a noticeably nice addition to the sweetness of the malt.

M: Light body with slightly less carbonation than some of the other lagers out there. A touch of stickiness from the hop but the finish remains clean.

Overall better than I thought it would be. Know I've had this beer in the past but didnt sit down to think about it in depth.

3.69/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Light brown with a slightly foamy head. Minimal lacing

Smell: Sweet. Dessert-like, as a pie

Taste: Mildly full, mildly sweet. Not a lot of finish.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy. Embraces the full mouth..says "Hey...how are you?".

Overall: Full disclosure- I am a fan of this because of its pricing and overall taste. This is the kind of brew you start drinking at 1:00 p.m. on a Sunday and are still enjoying in early evening. The alcohol does not overwhelm, but the beverage remains highly drinkable. A true session beer offering from New York state. This beer pairs with alot of 'bar-food' and is equally enjoyable on its own. It has a unique flavor and is consistently enjoyable. Share with friends after work, while watching a game, or while relaxing on the patio by yourself. Add a few bottles to your refrigerator so you have a fall-back when guests don't appreciate the high-end stuff. This is appealing to beer-snobs as well as beer-illiterates.

Not a great beer but enjoyable. This is my standby for something cheap but quaffable. Also good for cooking brats and sausages. For the price, its A great choice for something that tastes reasonably good without the craft price tag. I'd agree as well that its a steppingstone to greater things but it is great for times that you want something decent without exhausting your supply of quality brews.

3.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Half finger head that fades instantly. Amber red color. Almost no smell. Syrupy bland taste. Goes down smooth. Goes down like rootbeer. Barely and carbonation makes it taste thick. It almost leaves no aftertaste. Overall it's a pretty decent beer. I would buy it again.

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a finger of off-white head that settles to a sticky thin layer over a clear ambered-straw liquid. Smells saaz hoppy, biscuit malt, light caramel, toasted malt. The saaz spicey hops almost comes across as a tropical character.

Tastes noble hoppy with supporting malt sweet and malt flavor. Hops are earthy, tin-like, with a hallertauer floral finish. Light and clean hop bitter. Malt flavors are beneath the hops, but not much. Toasted grains and mild light-colored caramel. The malt flavor works well with the hop flavor. The malt sweet is thick, somehow, despite the md-light body. Must be the honey, which is noticable, but comes across as like a honey-product that isn't really honey. Overall, this beer comes across as syrupy and becomes wearing. The finish dries with mineral and some help from a modest carbonation.

Fits the American Amber category well in some ways. A bit too sticky for me and the hops were noble, not citrusy/piney American. Judged to style, not my flavor preference.

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Before I begin I must make the remark that this beer holds a special place in my heart. This is and always was my mom's favorite beer! So onto the review, I poured this beer into a pint glass so lets begin with this Honey Brown Lager.

Appearance- This beer is a mild brown color. There is just a hint of red in Honey Brown. As I poured this there was a beautiful off white creamy head of about two fingers in height. Much to my dismay though in about one minute the head fully went away to a little thin lace on my glass.

Smell- With my first large whiff I detect very little actually. I can tell this has a hint of honey but not quite as powerful as I would have expected. It has a slight sweet scent to it, but more of just a malt and grainy smell. There is also a slight grassy and Earthy smell to this beer.

Taste- All I really taste is roasted malt. It has only a sense of sweetness only in the fact that it goes down smooth. I do taste a little bit of the grassiness in the beer and really a very faint taste of honey. If it was not in the name I would not even recognize it at all.

Mouthfeel- It has a medium mouthfeel to me for a lager. It is a little heavier than I expected. I am actually impressed with the mouth swirl of this beer. This is honestly the best part of this beer. The mouthfeel is heavier and darker in nature than a typical adjunct lager would be but I definitely enjoy this part.

Overall- This beer is decent. Even with the nostalgia in my heart (and Palate) it is not as good as I remember. However, I have offered this beer to many a women and they really like it which is good for all you craft drinking men out there. I would only recommend this to people experimenting in beers so they can acquire a taste for something a bit more than the typical American adjunct lager.

3.27/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm a big Shiner Bock fan and when I finally tried Dundee's Original Honey Brown Lager, I noticed the similarities. This lead me to do a blind taste test with Shiner Bock. What I learned was they are fairly similar in taste and smell. Shiner Bock is richer and a bit heavier. However, not as much as I had supposed. This led me to edit and downgrade my original review of Shiner Bock. I guess I was reviewing a little too much from my heart. Here are the details of Honey Brown, but some beers are better than the sum of their parts.
Appearance - Not a rich brown, but more of a light amber or dark, reddish gold. Honey Brown looks a little thin.
Smell - Not a lot of aroma at all. There is a slightly sweet smell and an ever so slight smell of earthiness or flint.
Taste - This is the strength of this beer! Honey Brown has a slightly sweet taste of honey or brown sugar with perhaps some caramel thrown in. I definitely do not taste the very sweet flavor that several of the reviewers mention. It is refreshing and I notice it seems more watered down than sweet.
Overall - Shiner Bock is not easy to get where I live, so this can be a more affordable substitute and though the flavor doesn't match Shiner it's not as noticeable if you don't compare them together like I did. It's a refreshing beer with a slight sweet darker taste than any of your macros.

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy golden color, produced an average head with average retention and left some lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain and honey. Light in body, easy to drink, base of barley malt, slight hop flavor- beer is thin....not much of a honey flavor however the beer is very sweet. - out of balance in my opinion. Expected a lot more from this cult beer.

2.72/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: From the bottle, the beer pours a dark, clear gold with a fizzy white head. Head retention is so-so at best, and only a small amount of lace is left on the sides of the glass. Little streams of bubbles are clearly visible, indicating a considerable amount of carbonation.

S: Oddly neutral on the nose, with very subtle scents of honey, grain, straw, and grass peeking through briefly.

T: Notes of biscuit, crackers, white bread, caramel, honey, grain, straw, hay, and grass wash across the palate. The finish is dry and clipped with notes of honey and biscuit giving way to straw and grass flavors.

M: Relatively light in body and very dry. Carbonation is extremely crisp and firm. I would dare say that this beer is a bit overcarbonated. Not all that easy to drink.

O: A very mediocre lager, but then I was not expecting much. The honey flavor is very subtle and the beer is poorly balanced. Not entirely unappealing, but I doubt I would ever go out of my way to try this again.

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed the smoothness of this beer. Enjoyable mouthfeel, easy to go down and great smell of roasted malts. It was not too sweet and not too bitter. You can expect the perfect balance between the two. This is the perfect dessert beer and also a great refreshing treat after a hard day of tending to the lawn in the hot summer sun. However, it does taste a little watered down. Definitely could use some more hops to it. The yeast flavors are lacking in this one if you like yeasty beers, but would definitely try again if caught on sale.

2.94/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Copper crystal clear filtered, medium carbonation of fine bubbles, a finger of whitish head.

S: Amber lager chick pea like scent (similar to Fat tire) skunk (even though bottle is brown) coffee, chocolate, medium toasted malts, slight yeastiness. Quite mild.

T: Medium toastedness of an amber lager, quite watery and diluted, little honey with very light sweetness. Wouldn’t have detected the honey without the suggestion in the name. Slight skunk, little chick pea. Very watery. A little metallic. Try hard to breathe it out through your nose to detect a little yeastiness. Get more yeastiness from a Budweiser.

M: Light body, medium high carbonation. Watery.

O: Watery amber beer with little flavour and a slightly above average bottle and name. Not worth the price I paid in China (45yuan for this import). Only like that its from Upstate NY.

2.58/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Very transparent dark burnished gold color, with a fluffy white head that stands well.

S: Metallic scent and nothing else. Highly off-putting.

T: Very mild flavors. At first there is a sharp lemon-like tang, then it's followed by a grain aftertaste. It tastes very watered down.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and light bodied. It's very easy to drink.

O: Overall I was not impressed with this beer. I found it to lack a lot of flavor and the metallic scent was a turn-off. I would not recommend the beer. Not looking forward to the other 5.

2.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Cheapest six-pack in the craft-brew section of my local store. I've had this in restaurants, too.
Clear, medium amber color. Not much nose that I can detect (where do tasters come up with all these descriptions??). Head vanishes quickly, leaving no traces. Mouth feel is smooth. Flavor is good, but a bit sweet. More malt than hops -- in fact, I can barely taste hops. Overall, not bad. Don't think I'll be buying this at the store, but I'd choose it in a restaurant if they didn't have anything more interesting.

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A: pours with little lacing and is transparent light amber. S: Honey with light wheat. T: Sweet honey front transitioning to light caramel. Taste finishes quickly with little aftertaste. Mouth feel is watery and light. Overall, not bad for the style but the beer lacks depth, complexity, and individuality.

3.43/5  rDev +11%

My go-to cheap beer. They've got this at every store and every bar around here and it's always super cheap and tastes way better than anything else for the same price. Pours a brown color with off-white head. Malty taste with a hint of honey. This is the perfect beer for a low budget.

2.45/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Light amber and completely transparent. Soda-like head with no retention or lacing. Bread and rice aroma. Adjunct flavor with some wheat flavor. Hint of honey. Sweet character overall. Light body and highly carbonated. Lack luster. Won't be having another.

2.45/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Pours clear amber with a one finger quickly receding bubbly white head.

S - Toffee, slight honey, slight sweet malt

T - Toffee, slight chocolate, slight honey, metal. Too sweet for me.

M. Medium bodied with medium carbonation

O - Overall, this beer is way too artificial. It's like a tootsie roll soaked in alcohol. I didn't even finish the glass. I wouldn't have it again

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

Amber-golden color, clear. Lots of bubbles rising. Small head. Lacing looks fairly nice on the glass.

Sweet aroma. Mostly malt. A little hints of honey.

Bready up front. Light toasted malts, some honey, slight hint of corn, just a touch of bitterness towards the end. Light bodied. Dry lingering aftertaste.

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.