Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager - Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Dundee Original Honey Brown LagerDundee Original Honey Brown Lager

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 648 | Hads: 1,315
3.08/5  rDev 0%

From 06/23/12 notes. Had on tap at 13th Step in New York on the Lower East Side. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a clear medium brown color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet fruits, nuts, toasted malts, roasted malts, burnt malts, fruity malts. A little too sweet, pretty average.

t - Tastes of nuts, too much sweet fruit, toasted malts, burnt malts. Same as the nose, average.

m - Medium body and medium carbonation. Pretty smooth body.

o - Overall a pretty average beer. I found it a little too sweet and having a lot of toasted and burnt malts. Not something I'd probably seek out again. (649 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color with a fairly decent white head. The head dissapears quickly with very little lacing.

Smell: Faint malt sweetness.

Taste: Malt sweetness, nutty, slight copper (like a penny might smell or taste), nice zing to it.

This is an awesome session beer. I'ts thirst quenching and still flavorful. I like this beer a lot. A macro drinker could easily like this beer right away. (409 characters)

3.08/5  rDev 0%

This is one of my favorite beers to introduce people into beer that isn't Bud Light.

It's not an amazing one off Imperial Stout or IPA or anything fancy like that, but who can't enjoy a beer like this every now and then?

For a session beer, it's a bit sweet. I don't find myself wanting to have more than 3 or so at a time, because of the sugary sweet flavor.

To someone who is uninitiated, I think that this is a nice session beer, because it's so different, and they're not jaded enough by craft beers to dislike the sweetness at first.

Either way, a good one to keep on hand (or pick up anywhere really, since it's common). One of my more preferred beers from Genesee. (675 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a dimpled mug.

A – Crystal clear light brown, with a nice two-finger head of white bubbles, which utterly vanished very quickly. Not much lacing.

S – Weak aroma of malt and lager yeast. Result? Smells like “beer”. If you really try, you can get a little whiff of the aforementioned honey.

T – Sweet dextrin-y caramel malt forward, made even sweeter/more cloying with a big blast of artifical tasting honey. Hops are so far in the background to the point of being almost undetectable. Not much else to say here.

M – Thin bodied to the point of being watery, which may actually be a good thing with a beer with these characteristics; any thicker and it would seem syrupy. Prickly carbonation.

O – A dull and kind of low quality malt lager. I wouldn’t turn it down if a free one were handed to me, but I would never buy this either. (876 characters)

A: Nice transparent deep brown color with about a fingers worth of head dissipates down to thin veil around the edges and patches of lace on top.

S: Hints of toasted grain, malt and a very light sweetness from the honey.

T: Really can't taste a honey flavor but i'm getting some maltyness and a toasted caramel and some grain here as well. Nothing really stands out.

M: Medium carbonation, grassy/grainy after taste and a bit of a dry feeling left in the mouth.

O: Kind of average lager, nothing really stands out or puts it ahead of the rest. Would love to try it in a can or on tap to compare. (599 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +24%

Honey Brown Lager has a fairly thin, off-white head and a clear, bubbly, honey-colored appearance, with some narrow lacing. It has a mild, sweet, malty aroma. The taste is of sweet bread, a bit o’ honey, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Honey Brown Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a good beer, and it was much better than I expected it to be.

RJT (413 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

24oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours amber colored and is topped with several inches of white head.

S - It is quite reminiscent of an american lager. I get some grain and malt. No hops to speak.

T - I get some sweetness up front with some nuttiness in the middle. The finish is clean.

M - Thin

O - The sweetness is a turn off. It does go down like water though. (379 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours light caramel brown with a quickly dissipating finger length white head. The aromas are of sweet malt and honey, but it's not an intense aroma. It's sweet, but not too sweet. The honey flavor is present as well as some breadiness from the malt. It's a slightly sweeter macro lager. The mouthfeel is light and watery. It's well carbonated, so it drinks fairly easily. This is average and easy to drink. If you're looking for something macro, but slightly different, this would be fine. (490 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -18.5%

Most people who know me know I’m a beer lover; so, for my birthday, a friend got me some Dundee Honey Brown Lager. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but hey, it’s free beer! Woooo!

A: This is one of the things I like about macrobrews: they usually look pretty good. This one has a ton of fizzy bubbles moving through the body, which poured a (what do you know) honey-brown. The head started big, white, and sudsy, with moderate webs of lacing down every side. Retention is a little oily-looking, though.

S: A couple of nosefuls of dull corn and grains before some richer sweet malt aromas come forward. It says “brewed with honey” on the label, and I am getting a tiny bit of it here and there, along with some mild fruitiness over the unsatisfying grains. Still, the macro prevails.

T: Much more sugary and honey-forward than expected; however, this honey is more of a Honey Nut Cheerios, artificial flavor. Still, it’s rich and pretty syrupy, with some decent lager tastes of breads and lemon rind. The aftertaste is what really turns me off: though the finish has some admirable peach flavor, there’s a further expansion of cardboard and dusty tastes (I don’t have any other way to describe it, really).

M: Fizzy, smooth, but a little too greasy for my tastes. Leaves the mouth feeling sticky, but not necessarily unsatisfying.

O: Hey, you get what you pay for – and I got this for free! It’s no Hopslam or Breakfast Stout, but hell, I’ll drink it by week’s end. Cheers! (1,504 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Into a pint glass:

A: caramel colored clear body with a small two finger white head, (over the years, there used to be lacing, no lacing today), hmmm...?

S: toasted maltiness and a slight sense of honey

T: more malt than honey coming through sugary

M: light, extremely sessionable, more than a moderate amount of harshness on the mouth, no aftertaste or finish

O: this used to be so good, but turns out to be just an average beer (434 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear amber/copper color with a half inch head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Caramel, honey, and malts.

Taste - Very sweet. Honey is the most dominant flavor. Definitely something different.. I also detect some caramel and a slightly toasty finish. Very minimal bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This is the only honey type beer I've ever tried but it's pretty good. A little too sweet but not bad.. (463 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One of my favorites back in college when I thought I was sophisticated, definitely a gateway brew for me. This pours a light brown color with a nice white foam on top. The aroma is sweet honey, a little staleness, roasted grains. The flavor has strong undertones of honey sweetness behind some roasted grain, and not much bitter to balance. The honey leaves a strange aftertaste to this pretty standard lager. A good changeup if you normally drink Bud, but I tend to avoid this one these days as the finish isn't as pleasant as I would like. (541 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

It's a really good beer you can taste the honey! Not what I expected when poured out didn't really grab my attention with the color not as amber as hoped, the taste is the beer is great it is very easy drinking with not noticeable mouthfeel, overall it worth a B! (263 characters)

A - Pours out light clear brown/copper in color. Head is soda pop like and fizzes away quickly. No Lacing.

S - Light caramel malts, some corn and metal.

T - Caramel sweetness upfront that's balanced out by a mild hop bitterness. Honey is noticeable as well. Which I like.

M - Medium bodied. Carbonation is high but not to rough on the palate.

O - Pretty much mediocre. Don't think Ill be drinking this one again any time soon. (430 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a very good beer for those of you who love dark and somewhat sweet tasting beer. I get this beer nearly every time I see it.

It pours a dark and slightly reddish hue with I light tan colored head. It has a somewhat sweet taste and a roasty flavor but mellow. (267 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance was really nothing exciting,light brown,no head,no lacing,descent bubbling. Smell was better, a sweet honey malty odor,really couldnt pick up on any hop. The taste was a lot like the odor, very easy to drink,maybe too easy. No bite or real sense of "hittin the spot". This to me is a beer to drink in the same situation as a Coors or Bud...not that there's anything wrong with that. I like this beer and would drink it again. (440 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this at Bel Paese, served in a brown bottle poured in a glass.

the color is ruddy brown with good clarity and quick to relax head, pretty standard look. The smell is nice, sweet as expected with mild honey and malt aroma, practically no yeast or off notes in the nose, just a light candy-like caramel. The feel is slick and moderately carbonated semi-sweet with a hint of diacetyl.

This is a beer I used to drink a lot of so I wondered if I would enjoy it again years later. The taste is mostly caramel with a light sweet smooth tinge and gentle diacetyl from the lager which isn't unpleasant. This has a hint of creamy caramel, but finish is semi-dry and light. Overall I enjoyed this, not a great lager in any sense, but serves its purpose, gentle sweet honey adds to the lager. It is probably one I will not return to unless the beer menu is similar to the place I ordered this in. (895 characters)

Served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: caramel in color with 1 inch head, clear, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: honey start with sugar coming in closely behind and toasted malt in the middle the finish is sweet honey

Mouthfeel: light body, high carbonation, sweet start with a less sweet middle and a super sweet end

Drinkability: I try to leave prejudice out of my reviews, but in full disclosure this was the beer I probably drunk the most of in my later years in college and my first years out out of it. Now I only have it every now and then. Still it is sentimental and is a favorite. I love the sweetness and refreshingness of this. I could easily drink a six of these--if not more. Of all the Dundee's beers this is by far my favorite. I think it drinks more like a sweet brown. If you like sweeter beers, hunt this down. The honey is about as present here as it is in any beer. (930 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -24.7%

From twety-four ounce can :

Aroma sweet malts floral. Appearance is a coppery light brown with fairly large white head. The head dissapears in seconds, there is no lacing. The taste is horrid, overly sweet, adjunct lager with brown food coloring! Nasty, Nasty,Nasty! (267 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Pagosa Brewing pint glass.

A - borderline amber color, with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

S - smells of biscuit and honey.

T - Somewhat bready, but the honey overpowers it rather quickly.

M - good carbonation, and medium bodied.

O - not really my style. Only reason I was able to try this was because my wife bought some. I would not buy this for myself, but my old lady seems to enjoy them. (439 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -13%

A: clear light amber colored with a foamy head that recedes quickly. bubbles form on the inside of the glass.

S: Honey, malt and yeast.

T: Mostly malts with a sweet honey linger. Somewhat bready.

M: A little carbonation tingle, but very light. Crisp and thin.

O: A decent amber, but rather plain and a little too malty for my taste. Just a very basic brew. (360 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours dark amber with a large, quickly-fading head.
The only noticeable aroma is honey... nothing else.
Loads more honey as a flavour along with some caramel and finishes with a mild bitterness. A little cloying.
Could use more carbonation.
One-dimensional but not bad. (269 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Beer budget was running low so i decided to try one of the cheap, mass-produced craft beers.

a- light orange in color with a decent white head that dissipates after a few and retains a nice ring lacing

s- smells very sweet, bready, malty, yeasty. more malt aroma than anything else

t- sweet honey, carmelly/nutty malts, nice sweet aftertaste

m- crisp, medium carbonation. goes down really easy

o- nicely and happily surprised at how much i like this. its not bad at all for cheap beer and is very drinkable. since the abv is so low it wouldnt be a bad thing to down a 12 pack. very happy with my choice! (608 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a crystal clear honey color with two fingers of frothy white head.

S-Smells primarily of some herbal hops and some light caramel notes.

T-Light, sweet, bready malts with a slight green apple note and some light bitterness on the finish.

M-Smooth and slick in the mouth with low carbonation and a faint dryness on the finish.

D-Very easy drinking and sessionable beer. You can't beat the price either: .99 for a 24 oz. can. A great choice for a backyard BBQ sort of event. (483 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%

Enjoyed September 3 at Savannah Craft Brew Fest '11.
A: Pours more of a golden than brown with a bright white head, decent lace.

S: Smells of honey and malts, smells really good maybe enjoyed the smell more than the taste

T&M: Smooth and crisp with a slight honey finish, I wish it tasted like it smelled...noice. Really drinkable, felt like I was drinking a light lager, could have put back a couple...baker's dozens...

O: Might try to cook with this one... (461 characters)

Dundee Original Honey Brown Lager from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.